Ameriprise

Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Leadership Development Program Interview

Financial Leadership Development Program
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ameriprise in March 2009.

Interview Details – Informational Interview, Round 1 at job fair (one 45min session), Round 2 in the office with two leaders (30mins each). Round 2 had info session and meet and greet. Focus on situational questions and leadership questions.

Interview Question – What makes you want to work for AMPF? What do you know about the leadership program? Why do you want to be a part of the rotational program?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiate!

Very Easy Interview

Senior Claims Adjuster Interview

Senior Claims Adjuster

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ameriprise.

Interview Details – Completed online application and was called for phone interview with HR. Has follow up phone interview with hiring manager. I was then invited to come onsite for interview, but they expected me to pay for the flight and all expenses. I balked and said that was not common and what I had previously experienced. I was told I was their number one candidate and they wanted me, but they also did not think they could meet my salary expectations. The last I heard was that they were going to consider a Skype interview or some alternate type of interview arrangement. That was more than 3 weeks ago. I have not heard anything since then. Not cool, especially when you are allegedly their number one candidate. Meh.

Interview Question – None. All the interview questions were standard behavioral type questions.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ameriprise in January 2009.

Interview Details – It has been a while since I interviewed. 2 levels of interviews.
Peer - standard situational questions.
Leader - standard questions about relocation, ambition etc.
Offer extended over phone. In a tight market, I was able to negotiate 5K more.

Interview Question – Question list is supplied by HR. Standard questions like
1. How do you resolve conflict with others at work place?
2. How do you provide positive feedback?
3. How do you provide negative feedback?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Market was tight for PMs when I interviewed. They didn't offer relocation. I negotiated 5K signon bonus.

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ameriprise in November 2011.

Interview Details – They called me to do a phone interview first. It was very short and just asked a few background questions around customer service. The next part was scheduled as an intelligence quiz. It was a short quiz that involved math and reasoning questions. It was pretty simple and basic. After passing the quiz I was scheduled to meet with one of the sales managers and an HR representative. Not all of the interviews are done with the HR person. The interview was similar to other interviews until they asked me to do an impromptu role play of a phone conversation. I did not feel I did well on that but showing that I could handle the sudden task was enough to offer me the job.

Interview Question – There was a role play question about setting an appointment over the phone.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Ameriprise.

Interview Details – Many lunches and dinners. Bring your numbers.

Interview Question – How much of your book will come over?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Bank Position.

Customer Contact Pro Interview

Customer Contact Pro

Interviewed at Ameriprise

Interview Details – There is an initial call from a recruiter expalining the basics of the job. Then there is an Computer Assessment. After that if you pass you interview with a department manager. Then you should get a reply if you were hired by the end of the week.

Interview Question – Explain a time when you had a conflict with a coworker.   Answer Question

Irvine, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ameriprise in March 2009.

Interview Details – Was simple and straightforward.

Interview Question – Had to role play as a travel agent selling a travel package. Was asked to memorize a 19 page initial client interview script.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Commission and base salary was not negotiable.

Client Service Professional Interview

Client Service Professional
Oceanside, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Ameriprise in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was first called and was told they wanted to do a phone interview before the in person interview. They asked me a few questions, such as "Why do you want to work here?" and "What is your availability?"

About a week later I was contacted by the district manager telling me that a manager was going to call me about setting up an in person interview. The next day the manager called and set up an interview.

3 days following the interview, I was offered the position through email.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I was emailed an offer letter including the location and the pay. I could either accept or decline the offer.

Wealth Management Intern Interview

Wealth Management Intern
Seattle, WA

I interviewed at Ameriprise in March 2012.

Interview Details – Short interview process. Consisted of one interview which was 6-1 and mostly behavioral. Was for a small office with about 7 advisors in it as a whole. Dress was business casual, and I got an offer a week after the interview.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at THIS office?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Ameriprise in January 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted resume online and received email a few days later asking for me to call in and set up phone interview. I did so, but to only have the HR person do the phone screening then and there. It was fine for me as I called when I didn't have anything pressing, but would like be different if you're at your current work etc.

Questions were basic HR stuff "Tell me more about your work experience", "Do you know how to use Excel/Access".

Phone call was going fine until HR asked me my salary requirements and I gave her a "higher than this" number. Then there was an awkward pause and she revealed "This position only pays between 45K-50K, are you still set on your original salary requirement?"

Personally, the amount they were willing to pay is less than what I made coming out of college so I told her the salary was non-negotiable and we ended our call there, but if the amount is something you can work with then by all means use my review as your negotiation tool ;).

Interview Question – None. Just basic HR stuff. No technical questions.   Answer Question