Amgen Interview Questions in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jul 20, 2014

53 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amgen in May 2010.

The interview usually take a full day. If you can do a presentation, it would be help. You will meet the hire manager and directors. You also will be able to meet few associate level people.

Global Strategic Sourcing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amgen.

I was initially contacted by the manager that I would be working with via phone interview. After two phone interviews, I was given an offer. The interview process was very informal, but again, this was for an MBA internship. The manager was very nice, wasn't looking to rattle you; just wanted to learn more about my experience and qualifications for the position.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions; mostly questions about my resume and my work experience. Strategic sourcing experience, procurement experience, project management experience was required.   Answer Question
    Internship, so there was no negotiations; the only option was the dates and terms of internship; 8 weeks, 10 weeks, or 12 weeks.

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Amgen in October 2012.

Process began by being contacted by a principal scientist about scheduling a phone interview. Had phone interview later that day, which was very positive and included a discussion about my current research projects. Then got contacted a month later about scheduling an on-site interview. Flew out the day before, had dinner that night, with interview the next day. Interview consisted of a research presentation (1 hr), followed by a series of 1-1 interviews throughout the day. Really enjoyed the interview process overall. Never felt any tough pressure, it was more just an intense, dynamic discussion of science all day. Interview was very technical, and also included discussion about what life was like at Amgen.

Interview Questions
    • "Walk me through your rationale for the enhanced stereoselectivity in your process with your new set of conditions."   Answer Question
    Call from HR alerting me of an offer. Follow up call from director congratulating me on offer. Thought it over the weekend with another pending offer, then accepted the Amgen offer.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied online. The process took 7 months - interviewed at Amgen in March 2014.

I submitted an application sometime in August 2013, and was caught by surprise when I got a call in February 2014 asking if I was still interested in the position. I said yes, and from there the communication was very timely. I was sent an e-mail to set up interview times, and the recruiter was very accommodating with the schedule. They sent maps and detailed information, and I went in for the interview. I met with the whole team, including a conference call attendee from another office. Everybody was really nice and positive. They asked relevant questions and didn't hold back from asking some challenging ones, but they also didn't ask pointlessly tricky or confrontational questions. I felt like I was being honestly evaluated for my fit with the team and my knowledge of the work.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you handled a situation where somebody on your team was not doing their share of work. (Follow up: Do you think that was the best way to handle it, and why?)   Answer Question
    I was given a call with an offer. It seemed good so I accepted. I had read on Glassdoor previously that they don't negotiate so I didn't try.

Associate Statistical Programming Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amgen in January 2013.

Phone screen and then on-site. The position is entry-level so not a lot of professional questions. Everyone is super nice! Asked about UNIX system, SAS merging process and SQL. A lot of behavior questions. Been treated really nice during the interview, good hotel and a tour around the city!

Interview Questions
    • Not a lot. All the questions are fairly reasonable and to the point.   Answer Question
    Didn't negotiate

Senior Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amgen in April 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview. I was then invited to an in person interview. The first was a panel interview, which I felt went extremely well. I was then interviewed by the person who conducted the phone interview, it was pretty much a continuation of the phone interview just in person.

Senior Associate Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Amgen in May 2013.

Phone interview, then the manager invites me for on-site interview on the very next day.
    He would like to see how I am doing without time for preparation.

Biostatistics Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Amgen.

Phone interview
    Background: Ph.D candidate in Biostatistics.
    1. 0~15 min. I introduced my clinical trial background, mostly about the clinical trial course project.
    2. 15min ~ 25min. Discussion on programming, mainly SAS.
    3. 25min ~30 min. Interviewees said they cannot hire me since I do not have experiences with SAS MACRO programming. They need someone immediately working on SAS programming.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amgen in February 2014.

Contacted shortly after I submitted my resume to a recruiting company. I had 1 phone interview that was roughly an hour. I was then invited to a half day interview, where I toured the campus and had 5 one on one interviews that lasted roughly 30-45 minutes each. I was hired one week later, and begin week after that. Over all the process was smooth and efficient

Interview Questions
    • I received many technical questions regarding my work with proteins, DNA, etc. I was asked to explain in depth any research projects I have been apart of any publications of which I am a co-author   View Answer
    Wast any negotiation because it was a temp. position, but I was happy with the salary

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amgen in September 2012.

Hiring manager emailed me directly, not HR. Had a few conversations over the phone before being invited for the interview. Interview was 1-1/2 days, and met with 10-15 people. Long interview, but all were very polite, and nobody really tried to test or ask very difficult questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you applying to this job, since your background is much different   View Answer
    They make good offers, and don't negotiate. If you try to come back to get the offer increased, HR just says that the offer is very good, and they can't do any better.

Worked for Amgen? Contribute to the Community!