Amgen

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amgen in May 2010.

Interview Details – The interview usually take a full day. If you can do a presentation, it would be help. You will meet the hire manager and directors. You also will be able to meet few associate level people.

Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Amgen in October 2012.

Interview Details – Process began by being contacted by a principal scientist about scheduling a phone interview. Had phone interview later that day, which was very positive and included a discussion about my current research projects. Then got contacted a month later about scheduling an on-site interview. Flew out the day before, had dinner that night, with interview the next day. Interview consisted of a research presentation (1 hr), followed by a series of 1-1 interviews throughout the day. Really enjoyed the interview process overall. Never felt any tough pressure, it was more just an intense, dynamic discussion of science all day. Interview was very technical, and also included discussion about what life was like at Amgen.

Interview Question – "Walk me through your rationale for the enhanced stereoselectivity in your process with your new set of conditions."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Call from HR alerting me of an offer. Follow up call from director congratulating me on offer. Thought it over the weekend with another pending offer, then accepted the Amgen offer.

Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amgen in October 2010.

Interview Details – seminar, followed by interviews

Interview Question – why you decided to apply to industry   View Answer

Negotiation Details – none

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Amgen in September 2013.

Interview Details – 1.Applied via Amgen website.
2.Being contacted by hiring manager (Executive director of the Dep.).
3.Being invited for on-site interview. very intensive 2 days of interview with all people on site and in other location (1:1 meeting) + 1 hr presentation + 1 hr Chalk-talk.
   (I felt format-wise it was very similar to academic interview.)
4.Another phone call from the head of the dep. for 45 mins of science talk.
5.The Hiring manager did reference check via direct phone calls (45 mins for each of my reference people: 3 refs).
6.Being invited for the 2nd on-site interview only with the Executive directors of the Dep. + Head of Dep. Being asked so many tough science questions. The Head tried to evaluate my scientific in-depth knowledge in general.
7.A recruiter contacted me and background-check initiated
8.Being offered the position

Interview Question – I did not expect 1 hr chalk-talk during interview (topic: design of exp. to find out a drug candidate for a disease). I got informed about the topic a day before afternoon (only had couple of hrs to prepare for it, did my best and tried to enjoy it).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation required since it was THE BEST I can imagine.

Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amgen in June 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview first and then on-site interview

Interview Question – What you will do if you are not agree with your manager or your college?   Answer Question

Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Amgen in April 2011.

Interview Details – phone interview by the hiring manager first, and after a week I was informed for on-site interview
on-site interview, I need to give a 45 min presentation. 1:1 interview with many scientists. the final interview was with the hiring manager. the hiring manager was nice in the morning to me, but after my presentation, which I think I did a good job with, she became not that nice. At that time I already felt my chance to get the offer was slim. Now I realized she would like me to talk about my PhD work, not my postdoc research.
Anyway, good experience although I didn't get the offer.

Interview Question – mainly technical questions. for example, why do you choose a kinase, which have broad range of functions, as you drug screening target?   Answer Question

Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Amgen in April 2011.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview first, which was followed about 7-10 days later with an offer to come visit Thousand Oaks. I gave a seminar and interviewed all day. Everyone I spoke with was very positive, but I did get asked a lot of tough questions. About 10 days after interviewing I received an offer and accepted.

Interview Question – If I called your boss right now and asked him what is an area that you could improve on, what would he say?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was more than I expected so no negotiation was necessary.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Amgen in March 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online for several jobs and had a contact send my CV and cover letter to the hiring managers. I was contacted by a hiring manager for a phone interview the same day. Questions were mostly about the science and she felt I wasnt the best candidate for the job.

Interview Question – What was the hardest challenge you faced in your research?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amgen in December 2009.

Interview Details – The interview was 100% professional. I got a call from the recruiter, next day he arranged for a telephone interview with 2 hiring managers. They were satisfied and then invited for a personal interview at Seattle. Everything has been taken care professionally. The interview was very intense, it is a full day interview, met about 30 people from different department. I gave a good presentation and it was well received. In fact at the end of the interview, I was very satisfied that I likely to get the job, since the hiring manager's were impressed and showed some +ve signs. But at the end I did not get and I missed the opportunity by narrow margin. Though it is frustrating, it is a great experience.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for a big pharmaceutical company?   Answer Question

Thousand Oaks, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Amgen in February 2009.

Interview Details – First present my research presentation for 45 min, then take questions and answer for 10-15 min.
Personal (1:1) interview with about 8 scientists, and finally talk with vice president. In the meantime,
you will also talk with HR regarding general benefits. You will also have a lunch and dinner with 2-3
scientists.

Interview Question – any teamwork oriented success experience?   Answer Question

Worked for Amgen? Contribute to the Community!