Amgen Scientist Interview Questions

Updated May 21, 2015

3.4

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amgen.

Interview

I applied online, 3 weeks later got an email followed by a call from the hiring manager. We talked for ~30 mins about my skills and experiences. He liked me and invited me to onsite interview. 3 weeks later I was flown to the site. I met with the director-asked hard questions-then with the team and principle scientists and managers. I gave a 45 min talk as well. It seemed they liked me but they did not give any hints whether they are going to make an offer or not.
They were all friendly and professional. They tried to know me better, not to give me a hard time.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amgen

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amgen (South San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

One day trip to the company,
    First, an hour presentation, the presentation was board casted to other company department located all over the US.
    More than 10 face-to-face talk, cheap lunch was offered.

Scientist Interview

Interview

phone interview first and then follow interview at the company. Be yourself and don't try to lie. Be prepared and present your experiences sincerely. Most people are nice until you meet the management.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Amgen (Seattle, WA) in September 2013.

Interview

1.Applied via Amgen website.
    2.Being contacted by hiring manager (Executive director of the Dep.).
    3.Being invited for on-site interview. very intensive 2 days of interview with all people on site and in other location (1:1 meeting) + 1 hr presentation + 1 hr Chalk-talk.
       (I felt format-wise it was very similar to academic interview.)
    4.Another phone call from the head of the dep. for 45 mins of science talk.
    5.The Hiring manager did reference check via direct phone calls (45 mins for each of my reference people: 3 refs).
    6.Being invited for the 2nd on-site interview only with the Executive directors of the Dep. + Head of Dep. Being asked so many tough science questions. The Head tried to evaluate my scientific in-depth knowledge in general.
    7.A recruiter contacted me and background-check initiated
    8.Being offered the position

Interview Questions

• I did not expect 1 hr chalk-talk during interview (topic: design of exp. to find out a drug candidate for a disease). I got informed about the topic a day before afternoon (only had couple of hrs to prepare for it, did my best and tried to enjoy it).   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation required since it was THE BEST I can imagine.

Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amgen (Thousand Oaks, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Phone interview first and then on-site interview

Interview Questions

• What you will do if you are not agree with your manager or your college?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Amgen (Thousand Oaks, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Process began by being contacted by a principal scientist about scheduling a phone interview. Had phone interview later that day, which was very positive and included a discussion about my current research projects. Then got contacted a month later about scheduling an on-site interview. Flew out the day before, had dinner that night, with interview the next day. Interview consisted of a research presentation (1 hr), followed by a series of 1-1 interviews throughout the day. Really enjoyed the interview process overall. Never felt any tough pressure, it was more just an intense, dynamic discussion of science all day. Interview was very technical, and also included discussion about what life was like at Amgen.

Interview Questions

• "Walk me through your rationale for the enhanced stereoselectivity in your process with your new set of conditions."   Answer Question

Negotiation

Call from HR alerting me of an offer. Follow up call from director congratulating me on offer. Thought it over the weekend with another pending offer, then accepted the Amgen offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amgen (Seattle, WA) in July 2012.

Interview

Hiring manager will conduct the phone interview first. If they like you, then you will be invited for an onsite interview. It is a full day interview, multiple 1:1 or 1:2 interview with the higher title staff, then a group interview with the remaining of the department. Collective feedback is asked. But if someone strongly against the hiring, then the hiring manager will consider that opinion.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example to show how you solved a challenge problem.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amgen (Thousand Oaks, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

I had a phone interview first, which was followed about 7-10 days later with an offer to come visit Thousand Oaks. I gave a seminar and interviewed all day. Everyone I spoke with was very positive, but I did get asked a lot of tough questions. About 10 days after interviewing I received an offer and accepted.

Interview Questions

• If I called your boss right now and asked him what is an area that you could improve on, what would he say?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was more than I expected so no negotiation was necessary.

Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amgen (Thousand Oaks, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

phone interview by the hiring manager first, and after a week I was informed for on-site interview
    on-site interview, I need to give a 45 min presentation. 1:1 interview with many scientists. the final interview was with the hiring manager. the hiring manager was nice in the morning to me, but after my presentation, which I think I did a good job with, she became not that nice. At that time I already felt my chance to get the offer was slim. Now I realized she would like me to talk about my PhD work, not my postdoc research.
    Anyway, good experience although I didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions

• mainly technical questions. for example, why do you choose a kinase, which have broad range of functions, as you drug screening target?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amgen (Seattle, WA) in March 2011.

Interview

I applied online for several jobs and had a contact send my CV and cover letter to the hiring managers. I was contacted by a hiring manager for a phone interview the same day. Questions were mostly about the science and she felt I wasnt the best candidate for the job.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest challenge you faced in your research?   Answer Question