Amgen Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2014

3.6

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Amgen in July 2012.

Hiring manager will conduct the phone interview first. If they like you, then you will be invited for an onsite interview. It is a full day interview, multiple 1:1 or 1:2 interview with the higher title staff, then a group interview with the remaining of the department. Collective feedback is asked. But if someone strongly against the hiring, then the hiring manager will consider that opinion.

Interview Questions
  • Give us an example to show how you solved a challenge problem.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amgen

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amgen in May 2010.

The interview usually take a full day. If you can do a presentation, it would be help. You will meet the hire manager and directors. You also will be able to meet few associate level people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Amgen in October 2012.

Process began by being contacted by a principal scientist about scheduling a phone interview. Had phone interview later that day, which was very positive and included a discussion about my current research projects. Then got contacted a month later about scheduling an on-site interview. Flew out the day before, had dinner that night, with interview the next day. Interview consisted of a research presentation (1 hr), followed by a series of 1-1 interviews throughout the day. Really enjoyed the interview process overall. Never felt any tough pressure, it was more just an intense, dynamic discussion of science all day. Interview was very technical, and also included discussion about what life was like at Amgen.

Interview Questions
    • "Walk me through your rationale for the enhanced stereoselectivity in your process with your new set of conditions."   Answer Question
    Call from HR alerting me of an offer. Follow up call from director congratulating me on offer. Thought it over the weekend with another pending offer, then accepted the Amgen offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amgen in October 2010.

seminar, followed by interviews

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Amgen in September 2013.

1.Applied via Amgen website.
    2.Being contacted by hiring manager (Executive director of the Dep.).
    3.Being invited for on-site interview. very intensive 2 days of interview with all people on site and in other location (1:1 meeting) + 1 hr presentation + 1 hr Chalk-talk.
       (I felt format-wise it was very similar to academic interview.)
    4.Another phone call from the head of the dep. for 45 mins of science talk.
    5.The Hiring manager did reference check via direct phone calls (45 mins for each of my reference people: 3 refs).
    6.Being invited for the 2nd on-site interview only with the Executive directors of the Dep. + Head of Dep. Being asked so many tough science questions. The Head tried to evaluate my scientific in-depth knowledge in general.
    7.A recruiter contacted me and background-check initiated
    8.Being offered the position

Interview Questions
    • I did not expect 1 hr chalk-talk during interview (topic: design of exp. to find out a drug candidate for a disease). I got informed about the topic a day before afternoon (only had couple of hrs to prepare for it, did my best and tried to enjoy it).   View Answer
    no negotiation required since it was THE BEST I can imagine.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amgen in June 2013.

Phone interview first and then on-site interview

Interview Questions
    • What you will do if you are not agree with your manager or your college?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Amgen in April 2011.

phone interview by the hiring manager first, and after a week I was informed for on-site interview
    on-site interview, I need to give a 45 min presentation. 1:1 interview with many scientists. the final interview was with the hiring manager. the hiring manager was nice in the morning to me, but after my presentation, which I think I did a good job with, she became not that nice. At that time I already felt my chance to get the offer was slim. Now I realized she would like me to talk about my PhD work, not my postdoc research.
    Anyway, good experience although I didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • mainly technical questions. for example, why do you choose a kinase, which have broad range of functions, as you drug screening target?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Amgen in April 2011.

I had a phone interview first, which was followed about 7-10 days later with an offer to come visit Thousand Oaks. I gave a seminar and interviewed all day. Everyone I spoke with was very positive, but I did get asked a lot of tough questions. About 10 days after interviewing I received an offer and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • If I called your boss right now and asked him what is an area that you could improve on, what would he say?   Answer Question
    The offer was more than I expected so no negotiation was necessary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Amgen in March 2011.

I applied online for several jobs and had a contact send my CV and cover letter to the hiring managers. I was contacted by a hiring manager for a phone interview the same day. Questions were mostly about the science and she felt I wasnt the best candidate for the job.

Interview Questions
    • What was the hardest challenge you faced in your research?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amgen in December 2009.

The interview was 100% professional. I got a call from the recruiter, next day he arranged for a telephone interview with 2 hiring managers. They were satisfied and then invited for a personal interview at Seattle. Everything has been taken care professionally. The interview was very intense, it is a full day interview, met about 30 people from different department. I gave a good presentation and it was well received. In fact at the end of the interview, I was very satisfied that I likely to get the job, since the hiring manager's were impressed and showed some +ve signs. But at the end I did not get and I missed the opportunity by narrow margin. Though it is frustrating, it is a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for a big pharmaceutical company?   Answer Question

Worked for Amgen? Contribute to the Community!