Amscan

2 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Product Designer Interview

Product Designer

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amscan in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by someone outside of the company to apply for a temp position here, so I did and was promptly brought in for an interview. During the interview, I was pretty much given a list of every reason why the position had been previously vacated by other candidates (That the work wasn't creative, that people felt stifled, etc) Since I'm willing to do noncreative work as I have a production background, I didn't mind. They then proceeded to tell me about how the company work is overwhelming, an inconvenient commute, etc. Alarm bells did go off a bit that they weren't really selling me on working with the company, but I wanted the job, was familiar with the company name and just in general, very excited that I was considered for the role so I was hoping that they would sense my interest anyway.

I was then given an exam, unprompted, which mainly consisted of me arranging a layout in Illustrator/Photoshop. The exam itself was simple, but I wasn't given any clear sense of what would proceed it, just that depending on how well I did, they might expedite the process of hiring me full-time, or I might meet with one more additional person. In the weeks that followed after my interview I was told they were still interested in me but that they were going through some management changes. 1 week later, they sent an email to my recruiter stating they decided to hire someone internally/through another agency. At least, that was all I was told. They did not maintain any communication with me, even though they had my email address and cell phone number, and I had sent the person I met with a 'Thank you' note. I've been contacted/had my information sent out by other recruiters from different agencies for jobs with this company, only to get the same automated response since through second hand accounts.

Interview Question – (Looks at my resume and notices that I have a background in Motion Graphics and Interactive Design) So what is it that you want to do ultimately, once you leave this job?   Answer Question

Layout Artist Interview

Layout Artist
Elmsford, NY

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Amscan in December 2009.

Interview Details – Too lengthy for the offer ultimately and unnecessary.

Interview Question – My former supervisors who hired me did not ask silly questions of artists that ultimately mean nothing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They told me they offer lots of perks ad benefits, health insurance and other ammentiies so their base salary SEEMS ok, when its really LOW. I told them only cash pays the bills and gave them a figure of what I could afford to live on and commute. I wasn't interested in anything else.

Worked for Amscan? Contribute to the Community!