Amtrak Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2015

2.9

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amtrak (Washington, DC).

Interview

Phone screen and then panel interview. Phone screen and then panel interview. Phone screen and then panel interview. Phone screen and then panel interview. Phone screen and then panel interview

Assistant Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amtrak (New York, NY).

Interview

Went to NYC to take 3 tests. Was told I did really well on the test. Interview came about 4 weeks later.

I am an internal employee and did not receive any feedback from the interview. I called HR myself and was told the jobs had been filled. I was disappointed that I was not given any feedback especially since I am a current employee. This lack of transparency causes individuals to question the ethics involved

Track Man Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Amtrak (New Brunswick, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied to Amtrak in March and was invited to a orientation/interview. I was given a number upon arrival and waited in a Room of about 50+ candidates as we all chatted about our backgrounds and how bad we want this job. I'm currently waiting on a response on whether I got the job or not. Intense process so far!

Interview Questions

• Why Amtrak? What makes you qualified for this position?   1 Answer

Project Estimator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amtrak (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Great people that interviewed me. There place is very well set. I was happy to go in for an interview. The 3 that interviewed me were very nice but they had someone else in mind. I was excited about how it went but that's not what it comes down to.

Lead Service Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amtrak (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Get ready to put everything in your life on hold as you go through the interview process.. First you fill out a application on line and include a cover letter and resume. You will answer an on line questionnaire. If you meet the qualifications you will be contacted by a recruiter for a brief phone interview. You will then have to go and take another "truth" test. If you pass that you will then be asked to go take a strength test. If you pass the strength test you will be invited for a three panel interview. If you make it through the interview you will need to submit to a drug test, credit check, background check, a physical examination and they will verify your education. I honestly felt like I was applying to the FBI.

Interview Questions

• Very cookie cutter situational questions like; describe a time when you observed an employee arguing with a customer.. How did you handle the situation? What was the outcome. Amtrak would be better served by getting to know the applicant in less of a robotic, read the questions from a piece of paper way of interviewing.   Answer Question

The process to so long that I accepted another position.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amtrak (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

The process took about a month. I applied online and got interviewed the next week. I had to talk to a HR first before I scheduled to interview with the hiring manager. The only thing that I did not like was that it took about a month before I heard whether I got the job or not.

Locomotive Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amtrak (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied for the position and a month later was sent an email to take the Hogans test. After completing the Hogan test I was sent the information packet detailing the job description. I have to say that the process was very efficient. However, once I was called for the interview I thought that I was on my way. In the interview they asked about my background and why I had a three year gap in employment. I was honest and told them that I was on probation. At that point they ended the interview bc they said I could not work for them with and active probation case.
    I wasn't upset at them but I felt at this point in the process the background information was already revealed. If I wasnt an eligible candidate I should never have been asked to interview or once it was revealed they should have had the decency to either email me or telephone me to inform that I was no longer eligible. I just figured the background information was completed before the interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you currently on probation/parole   1 Answer

Infrastructure Planning Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amtrak (Phila, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewed by Director and Program Manager answered set of pre-designed questions. Questions resolved around my experience and how it would be transferable to challenges of the position. Related experience covering Amtrak, former work experience, and approach to problems encountered.

Interview Questions

• Questions basically around obtaining consensus among various institutions.   Answer Question

OBS/Lead OBS Interview

Interview

I applied on Dec 12-14 I haven't heard anything yet. The recruiter told me to keep checking with her, but when I do she don't answer half of the time.I really want to get on with Amtrak its a dream of minds. Pretty please have someone contact me. I can email my resume if you are interested. Thank you for listening

Trackman Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amtrak in January 2015.

Interview

I went to an orientation and interview at a hotel convention center. There were 80 applicants in all that showed up. Amtrak rep said that they were looking to hire forty. This process took about 3-4 hrs to complete. I met with 1 supervisor and 1 HR rep for the interview that lasted about 10 min.