Amtrak

Amtrak Interview Questions

Updated Nov 23, 2014
Updated Nov 23, 2014

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amtrak.

I applied online and was contacted about a month later to see if I was interested in attending a testing session. I showed up the next day and was surprised to see a group of candidates there as well. Total, there were over 50 people. Two days later, I received a call stating I had passed the personality test and would be contacted later to set up an interview. A week later, I had an interview date set. The next week, I was interviewed by two managers, both extremely nice and personable. Process took about an hour. It's been 2 weeks, I'm still patiently waiting on a call to let me know if I have been chosen for employment.

Interview Questions
    • give me the name of a company who has terrible customer service and one who has great customer service   View Answer

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amtrak.

Very Easy, no long drawn out interview process...one time interview....meet with manager and director...who are both very personable and make you feel at ease. Human Resource officer is usually on the phone listening in and may add questions...but one of the easiest interviews I ever been to

Interview Questions
    Able to negotiate pay, and vacation time

Passenger Information Display Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amtrak.

Called to interview after 3 month of application. 3 people from the team interviewed. After I ansered that I do not know the system, the interviewer put down the paper in hand and took another paper ( which has basic behavior questions) and ask me questions from it.

Interview Questions
    • Do you know a certain kind of system, do not remember the name sounds like chelsea system.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amtrak in August 2014.

Applied for the open position via Amtrak career portal on July 30, 2014. Two weeks later received a phone call to ask if I was still interested. I was, which in turn received an email inviting me to test then interview if test scores were positive. There were a total of six candidates and we all tested on a 60 or so questions assessment inventory exam. My test scores apparently were satisfactory and my interview was exceptional! I interviewed with the regional HR rep and an actual train employee at the station I would be assigned at. I was asked 10 questions all candidates were asked and I received the good, bad and ugly of the position, as well as the benefits offered and union information. Testing, interview and job offer/ acceptance was seven (7) days! I received a phone call congratulating me on garnering the position of CSR and I was ecstatic and almost cried, but kept it professional and composed! My offer letter came immediately following my verbal offer via email.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time which you were responsible for cash handling?   View Answer
    • What is your opinion of unions?   View Answer
    I was very satisfied with the offer and appreciated they respected my knowledge, skills and wealth of experience I was bringing to the table.

Principal Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amtrak in July 2014.

I applied for the position via their website in June. HR sent me an email within a month requesting and interview and the interview happened a week later.

The process to fill the position took longer than they led me to believe and I became very discouraged as there was no communication. I was very happy to receive a call and offered the job. The HR person was wonderful and worked with me on my salary, vacation and starting date.

Interview Questions
    • They had a panel interview, hiring manager, another person and then an hr person. I liked the behavioral type interview where they asked questions on specific to their needs and allowed me to focus on skills and experience they were seeking.   Answer Question
    They offered, I mentioned how excited I was to receive the offer but mentioned my salary range was higher than the offer. They got back to me a day later meeting my minimum.

Engineering Systems Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amtrak in June 2014.

I applied online and a few days later received the assessment, two days later a phone interview then two days later a face-to-face panel interview (thanks Glassdoor.com, I was prepared for the panel - plus HR notified me it would be panel). I was the 1st or one of the 1st ppl they interviewed and was told they were still interviewing other candidates and would not have a decision until mid-July or so. Then I received the call - ecstatic!!!

Interview Questions
    • What do I know about the software application they will use for Asset Management?   View Answer
    I didn't need to negotiate. They treated me with respect and showed me what they thought I was worth by presenting me with an excellent offer. I am content and above satisfied. I can't wait to start, this will be interesting.

Revenue Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amtrak in June 2014.

I had applied on line for the revenue analyst position. With in a week of applying i was called to come in for a in person panel interview. The entire interviewing process took about 45 to 60 minutes. Most of the questions were focused on understanding how good i was at data and revenue analysis and how i am at identifying or analyzing patters present in historical data.

Train Services Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amtrak in May 2014.

I submitted an application online and 2 months later I recieved an invitation via email to attend one of several orientation/testing sessions, as they were hiring for several jobs. The one I attended had four people and we took 3 tests: Math, Situational and Personality. If you passed those you get called to take a physical endurance test, if you pass that you get called for an interview. The interview was rather intimidating, there were 3 people there in a line and I sat at a desk facing them all, it was very nerveracking. If you did well there you get a call with an offer, contigent upon a backround check and drug/physical test.

Interview Questions
    You are given a sheet on what the pay will be, no negotiation.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amtrak in April 2014.

submit resume on university career platform, got an interview opportunity several weeks later. Questions about why do you think you are a good fit to this position. What do you do outside school is asked.

no negotiation

Assistant Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

interviewed at Amtrak in January 2014.

3 tests taken at Chicago. Video situation analysis, math, and personality

Interview Questions
    • I was told I scored extremely well in the first two tests and failed the personality test. Don't read too much into the questions   Answer Question