Amtrak Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2015

2.9

Project Estimator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amtrak (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Great people that interviewed me. There place is very well set. I was happy to go in for an interview. The 3 that interviewed me were very nice but they had someone else in mind. I was excited about how it went but that's not what it comes down to.

Lead Service Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amtrak (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Get ready to put everything in your life on hold as you go through the interview process.. First you fill out a application on line and include a cover letter and resume. You will answer an on line questionnaire. If you meet the qualifications you will be contacted by a recruiter for a brief phone interview. You will then have to go and take another "truth" test. If you pass that you will then be asked to go take a strength test. If you pass the strength test you will be invited for a three panel interview. If you make it through the interview you will need to submit to a drug test, credit check, background check, a physical examination and they will verify your education. I honestly felt like I was applying to the FBI.

Interview Questions

• Very cookie cutter situational questions like; describe a time when you observed an employee arguing with a customer.. How did you handle the situation? What was the outcome. Amtrak would be better served by getting to know the applicant in less of a robotic, read the questions from a piece of paper way of interviewing.   Answer Question

The process to so long that I accepted another position.

Locomotive Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amtrak (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied for the position and a month later was sent an email to take the Hogans test. After completing the Hogan test I was sent the information packet detailing the job description. I have to say that the process was very efficient. However, once I was called for the interview I thought that I was on my way. In the interview they asked about my background and why I had a three year gap in employment. I was honest and told them that I was on probation. At that point they ended the interview bc they said I could not work for them with and active probation case.
    I wasn't upset at them but I felt at this point in the process the background information was already revealed. If I wasnt an eligible candidate I should never have been asked to interview or once it was revealed they should have had the decency to either email me or telephone me to inform that I was no longer eligible. I just figured the background information was completed before the interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you currently on probation/parole   1 Answer

Infrastructure Planning Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amtrak (Phila, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewed by Director and Program Manager answered set of pre-designed questions. Questions resolved around my experience and how it would be transferable to challenges of the position. Related experience covering Amtrak, former work experience, and approach to problems encountered.

Interview Questions

• Questions basically around obtaining consensus among various institutions.   Answer Question

OBS/Lead OBS Interview

Interview

I applied on Dec 12-14 I haven't heard anything yet. The recruiter told me to keep checking with her, but when I do she don't answer half of the time.I really want to get on with Amtrak its a dream of minds. Pretty please have someone contact me. I can email my resume if you are interested. Thank you for listening

Trackman Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amtrak in January 2015.

Interview

I went to an orientation and interview at a hotel convention center. There were 80 applicants in all that showed up. Amtrak rep said that they were looking to hire forty. This process took about 3-4 hrs to complete. I met with 1 supervisor and 1 HR rep for the interview that lasted about 10 min.

Car Repairman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bear, DE

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amtrak (Bear, DE) in December 2014.

Interview

Interview was very relaxing with a three panel committee questions were based on how You worked with different types of tools come workers and conflict resolution the questions were very basic and to the point if you a good mechanical background you will be fine

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There were no negotiations

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amtrak.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted about a month later to see if I was interested in attending a testing session. I showed up the next day and was surprised to see a group of candidates there as well. Total, there were over 50 people. Two days later, I received a call stating I had passed the personality test and would be contacted later to set up an interview. A week later, I had an interview date set. The next week, I was interviewed by two managers, both extremely nice and personable. Process took about an hour. It's been 2 weeks, I'm still patiently waiting on a call to let me know if I have been chosen for employment.

Interview Questions

• give me the name of a company who has terrible customer service and one who has great customer service   1 Answer

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amtrak.

Interview

Very Easy, no long drawn out interview process...one time interview....meet with manager and director...who are both very personable and make you feel at ease. Human Resource officer is usually on the phone listening in and may add questions...but one of the easiest interviews I ever been to

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Able to negotiate pay, and vacation time

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amtrak.

Interview

Called to interview after 3 month of application. 3 people from the team interviewed. After I ansered that I do not know the system, the interviewer put down the paper in hand and took another paper ( which has basic behavior questions) and ask me questions from it.

Interview Questions

• Do you know a certain kind of system, do not remember the name sounds like chelsea system.   1 Answer