Amtrak

Relevance Date Difficulty

Principal Officer Interview

Principal Officer
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amtrak in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the position via their website in June. HR sent me an email within a month requesting and interview and the interview happened a week later. Unfortunately I have not heard from them on their final decision and it is now 2nd week in August.

Interview Question – They had a panel interview, hiring manager, another person and then an hr person. I liked the behavioral type interview where they asked questions on specific to their needs and allowed me to focus on skills and experience they were seeking.   Answer Question

Engineering Systems Support Analyst Interview

Engineering Systems Support Analyst
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amtrak in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and a few days later received the assessment, two days later a phone interview then two days later a face-to-face panel interview (thanks Glassdoor.com, I was prepared for the panel - plus HR notified me it would be panel). I was the 1st or one of the 1st ppl they interviewed and was told they were still interviewing other candidates and would not have a decision until mid-July or so. Then I received the call - ecstatic!!!

Interview Question – What do I know about the software application they will use for Asset Management?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't need to negotiate. They treated me with respect and showed me what they thought I was worth by presenting me with an excellent offer. I am content and above satisfied. I can't wait to start, this will be interesting.

Very Easy Interview

Project Manager - Finance Interview

Project Manager - Finance
Washington, DC

I interviewed at Amtrak in January 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process consisted on 1 interview less than 1 hour long. I received a call from my reciter with the hour and was offered the job. I started the next week.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for a dinosaur like Amtrak; what about all of the opportunities in DC?   Answer Question

Train Services Interview

Train Services

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Amtrak in May 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted an application online and 2 months later I recieved an invitation via email to attend one of several orientation/testing sessions, as they were hiring for several jobs. The one I attended had four people and we took 3 tests: Math, Situational and Personality. If you passed those you get called to take a physical endurance test, if you pass that you get called for an interview. The interview was rather intimidating, there were 3 people there in a line and I sat at a desk facing them all, it was very nerveracking. If you did well there you get a call with an offer, contigent upon a backround check and drug/physical test.

Interview Question – Tell us about yourself   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You are given a sheet on what the pay will be, no negotiation.

Revenue Analyst Interview

Revenue Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amtrak in June 2014.

Interview Details – I had applied on line for the revenue analyst position. With in a week of applying i was called to come in for a in person panel interview. The entire interviewing process took about 45 to 60 minutes. Most of the questions were focused on understanding how good i was at data and revenue analysis and how i am at identifying or analyzing patters present in historical data.

Interview Question – What makes Amtrak the ideal place to work for?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amtrak in August 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online. Aptitude test. HR calls to tell you that you have passed and will be scheduled for an interview. The interview is with 3 managers/administrators.

Interview Question – What was the most difficult situation you've had with a consumer and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Business Manager Interview

Business Manager
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Amtrak in October 2013.

Interview Details – An unexpected panel interview with four members of the NE Division's top brass in Boston. Shortly into the interview (first 3 minutes), I learned that this was a newly created position following an internal restructuring and that the job would likely go to one of the five recently displaced incumbent employees. The interview proceeded nonetheless and was most professional and very formal. Despite this, I received, as expected, a form rejection letter about a month later and no responses to any of the follow-up inquiries I submitted. Interview cost me a full day of time and a $200 train ticket to Boston. The had a list of questions and went around the room twice with each person asking me two questions. They limited my responses to two minutes and strictly enforced this limitation, several times cutting me off -- rather awkward.

Interview Question – Describe your methodology for task management and prioritization.   View Answer

Assistant Conductor Interview

Assistant Conductor
Chicago, IL

I interviewed at Amtrak in January 2014.

Interview Details – 3 tests taken at Chicago. Video situation analysis, math, and personality

Interview Question – I was told I scored extremely well in the first two tests and failed the personality test. Don't read too much into the questions   Answer Question

Electronic Technician Interview

Electronic Technician
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Amtrak in April 2011.

Interview Details – You will be called in for a for a class overview of the position and what is expected of you. You will then be given a basic math and English test. Basically 5th grade math ( fractions, division, multiplication, addition, subtraction and averages) and reading comprehension. If you passed you will then be called for an interview. There will be an HR representative and and a field manager of some sort for specific job related questions. If you are selected you will be sent for a drug screen, physical and eye exam. If all is past they will make you an official offer and schedule you for your two week initial railroad safety class. Good luck this is an outstanding opportunity!!!

Interview Question – All questions were keyed around job responsibilities, like being able to work outside all year round. None of the ridiculous questions that most HR people ask that have no bearing on the job.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You will be hired into a union contract position. Everyone in that position will b earning the exact same amount per hour no matter how years on the job. You will get raises based on union contract re negotiations.

Locomotive Engineer Interview

Locomotive Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Amtrak in March 2012.

Interview Details – Complete fiasco. HR has no idea who they want, or who they have talked to. HR director demanded I interview and apply after I already had a signed contract.

Interview Question – Can you be here in two hours?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Contract employment.

Worked for Amtrak? Contribute to the Community!