Amtrak

27 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Representative Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amtrak in August 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online. Aptitude test. HR calls to tell you that you have passed and will be scheduled for an interview. The interview is with 3 managers/administrators.

Interview Question – What was the most difficult situation you've had with a consumer and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Business Manager Interview

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Amtrak in October 2013.

Interview Details – An unexpected panel interview with four members of the NE Division's top brass in Boston. Shortly into the interview (first 3 minutes), I learned that this was a newly created position following an internal restructuring and that the job would likely go to one of the five recently displaced incumbent employees. The interview proceeded nonetheless and was most professional and very formal. Despite this, I received, as expected, a form rejection letter about a month later and no responses to any of the follow-up inquiries I submitted. Interview cost me a full day of time and a $200 train ticket to Boston. The had a list of questions and went around the room twice with each person asking me two questions. They limited my responses to two minutes and strictly enforced this limitation, several times cutting me off -- rather awkward.

Interview Question – Describe your methodology for task management and prioritization.   View Answer

Assistant Conductor Interview

Assistant Conductor
Chicago, IL

I interviewed at Amtrak in January 2014.

Interview Details – 3 tests taken at Chicago. Video situation analysis, math, and personality

Interview Question – I was told I scored extremely well in the first two tests and failed the personality test. Don't read too much into the questions   Answer Question

Electronic Technician Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Amtrak in April 2011.

Interview Details – You will be called in for a for a class overview of the position and what is expected of you. You will then be given a basic math and English test. Basically 5th grade math ( fractions, division, multiplication, addition, subtraction and averages) and reading comprehension. If you passed you will then be called for an interview. There will be an HR representative and and a field manager of some sort for specific job related questions. If you are selected you will be sent for a drug screen, physical and eye exam. If all is past they will make you an official offer and schedule you for your two week initial railroad safety class. Good luck this is an outstanding opportunity!!!

Interview Question – All questions were keyed around job responsibilities, like being able to work outside all year round. None of the ridiculous questions that most HR people ask that have no bearing on the job.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You will be hired into a union contract position. Everyone in that position will b earning the exact same amount per hour no matter how years on the job. You will get raises based on union contract re negotiations.

Locomotive Engineer Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Amtrak in March 2012.

Interview Details – Complete fiasco. HR has no idea who they want, or who they have talked to. HR director demanded I interview and apply after I already had a signed contract.

Interview Question – Can you be here in two hours?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Contract employment.

Principal Officer Interview

Principal Officer
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Amtrak in July 2009.

Interview Details – The hiring process at Amtrak is very slow with little communication to those that apply and the candidates.
The interview process is geared toward relating to the culture and little on experience.

Interview Question – Discussion about the business and expectations of knowing the business.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation on the salary was limited.

Reservation Sales Agent Interview

Reservation Sales Agent
Riverside, CA

I applied online and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Amtrak in September 2011.

Interview Details – I was initially called late June of 2011 for an app I had submitted late May. I was informed that I would be contacted sometime in August with further instructions. I received a call mid August letting me know I had been selected to be interviewed for the position contingent on a drug screening, physical, and testing. I had to first do a 50 question test which involved me being in Riverside at the call center at 8AM. The test lasted about 90 minutes.

A week later I was called and told I had passed the test. I was then asked to go back and interview for the position 9 days later. I completed the interview and was called a week after that and told I had to take a physical and drug screening. I was scheduled to do this in a week.

Negotiation Details – none

Legal Department Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amtrak in January 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed with two Directors. One of the interviewers was pleasant, but the other was rude, acted as if she was annoyed, and spent most of the interview trying to intimidate me.

Interview Question – I was asked the same question several times....Tell us what you say is your weakness.   Answer Question

Assistant Conductor Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Amtrak in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on amtrak.com; submitted my resume and cover letter... About a month later, I received an email saying I had been selected to take an aptitude test for the position. About 10-15 other applicants from all over Southern California and I met at the 8th Street Yard in DTLA and took a customer service test, a personality test and a math/reading test. About a month or so later, I was informed by phone that I passed the test and was selected to have a face-to-face interview in about 2 weeks. That interview was a panel made up of 2 front line managers, 1 mid-level manager & the Union rep. They asked a series of "give us an example of when you..." questions as well as some basic introductory questions. In addition, they explained in detail the job, the training process, entry-level employee expectations, etc..., and then asked finally, if offered the position, would I still be interested given the nature of the railroad, the obligation to join the union, the long training process, etc...

About 3 weeks later I got a phone call from the HR person offering me a position.

We were told that for the 8 slots we filled, there were 400 applicants each.

I applied December 20th and my start date was March 11.

Interview Question – The nature of the questions were surprisingly easy - or perhaps, I had been training for that interview for the past 10 years working in a Customer Service role - but for me, the most difficult part was sticking to the strict format of "give an example," "what happened," "what was the outcome," and "what would you have done differently..." or something like that.

I don't know what they are looking for, and dont remember if I answered the questions really well, but I just tried to sell them on my personality & genuine willingness/eagerness to do this job & learn.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They called me offering the job. I already knew what the salary was. They said: you are hired, this is your effective start date, pack your bags, you're going to Delaware for 8 weeks for training! Congratulations..... - the most exciting day of my life.

Intern Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amtrak in May 2012.

Interview Details – Interview with 3 people for 2 different positions, not too bad.

Interview Question – How do you deal with someone you don't like?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amtrak

Worked for Amtrak? Contribute to the Community!

Amtrak Videos

Amtrak – Why Work for Us?

Moving America where it wants to go. Amtrak is a unique American success story because of our more than 21,000 diverse employees who drive the performance needed to make us America’s Railroad. For more than 42 years… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amtrak interview questions and advice. All 27 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amtrak employees and interview candidates.