Amtrak Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.9

Machinist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amtrak (Long Island City, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Got called in for orientation/testing and then an interview all in the same session. There was 8 of us applying, 5 to be Carmen, and 3 to be Machinists. Orientation was quick and simple, everything was straightforward, then we took two ten question, 10 minute aptitude tests. Fairly easy if you have any knowledge on the subjects. People were talked to separately if they failed and then they left. After that everyone was given an interview time for the same day, not too far apart. I had to answer a few scenario based questions about different aspects of the job and told that I would hear from them wether or not I got the job 1 to 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to work on something with limited access to the component (like a small space).   Answer Question

Electrician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amtrak (Long Island City, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied for various Electrician positions online with Amtrak over a course of (3) months. Was emailed to come in for orientation and interview on the same day. There were 8 electricians in total. 5 of the electricians were very young and had minimal experience. We were first given a mechanical aptitude test, followed by an electrical knowledge test which consisted of a few schematics. Afterwards was an interview which consisted of two people asking questions.

Interview Questions

• Briefly describe a time when you observed someone working unsafe, and what did you do about it.   Answer Question

Assistant Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amtrak (New York, NY).

Interview

Went to NYC to take 3 tests. Was told I did really well on the test. Interview came about 4 weeks later. I am an internal employee and did not receive any feedback from the interview. I called HR myself and was told the jobs had been filled. I was disappointed that I was not given any feedback especially since I am a current employee. This lack of transparency causes individuals to question the ethics involved

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amtrak (Washington, DC).

Interview

Phone screen and then panel interview. Phone screen and then panel interview. Phone screen and then panel interview. Phone screen and then panel interview. Phone screen and then panel interview

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amtrak (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

The process took about a month. I applied online and got interviewed the next week. I had to talk to a HR first before I scheduled to interview with the hiring manager. The only thing that I did not like was that it took about a month before I heard whether I got the job or not.

Locomotive Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amtrak (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied for the position and a month later was sent an email to take the Hogans test. After completing the Hogan test I was sent the information packet detailing the job description. I have to say that the process was very efficient. However, once I was called for the interview I thought that I was on my way. In the interview they asked about my background and why I had a three year gap in employment. I was honest and told them that I was on probation. At that point they ended the interview bc they said I could not work for them with and active probation case. I wasn't upset at them but I felt at this point in the process the background information was already revealed. If I wasnt an eligible candidate I should never have been asked to interview or once it was revealed they should have had the decency to either email me or telephone me to inform that I was no longer eligible. I just figured the background information was completed before the interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you currently on probation/parole   1 Answer

Infrastructure Planning Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amtrak (Phila, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewed by Director and Program Manager answered set of pre-designed questions. Questions resolved around my experience and how it would be transferable to challenges of the position. Related experience covering Amtrak, former work experience, and approach to problems encountered.

Interview Questions

• Questions basically around obtaining consensus among various institutions.   Answer Question

OBS/Lead OBS Interview

Interview

I applied on Dec 12-14 I haven't heard anything yet. The recruiter told me to keep checking with her, but when I do she don't answer half of the time.I really want to get on with Amtrak its a dream of minds. Pretty please have someone contact me. I can email my resume if you are interested. Thank you for listening

Trackman Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amtrak in January 2015.

Interview

I went to an orientation and interview at a hotel convention center. There were 80 applicants in all that showed up. Amtrak rep said that they were looking to hire forty. This process took about 3-4 hrs to complete. I met with 1 supervisor and 1 HR rep for the interview that lasted about 10 min.

Passenger Engineer Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amtrak (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online filling in my experience and submitting my resume. Received an online test then was called in for an interview. The interview panel consist of a person from human resources, Road Foreman and a union local chairman from transportation department.