Amtrak Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2015

2.9

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amtrak in August 2014.

Interview

Applied for the open position via Amtrak career portal on July 30, 2014. Two weeks later received a phone call to ask if I was still interested. I was, which in turn received an email inviting me to test then interview if test scores were positive. There were a total of six candidates and we all tested on a 60 or so questions assessment inventory exam. My test scores apparently were satisfactory and my interview was exceptional! I interviewed with the regional HR rep and an actual train employee at the station I would be assigned at. I was asked 10 questions all candidates were asked and I received the good, bad and ugly of the position, as well as the benefits offered and union information. Testing, interview and job offer/ acceptance was seven (7) days! I received a phone call congratulating me on garnering the position of CSR and I was ecstatic and almost cried, but kept it professional and composed! My offer letter came immediately following my verbal offer via email.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time which you were responsible for cash handling?   1 Answer
    • What is your opinion of unions?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was very satisfied with the offer and appreciated they respected my knowledge, skills and wealth of experience I was bringing to the table.

Principal Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amtrak (Washington, DC) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position via their website in June. HR sent me an email within a month requesting and interview and the interview happened a week later.

The process to fill the position took longer than they led me to believe and I became very discouraged as there was no communication. I was very happy to receive a call and offered the job. The HR person was wonderful and worked with me on my salary, vacation and starting date.

Interview Questions

• They had a panel interview, hiring manager, another person and then an hr person. I liked the behavioral type interview where they asked questions on specific to their needs and allowed me to focus on skills and experience they were seeking.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered, I mentioned how excited I was to receive the offer but mentioned my salary range was higher than the offer. They got back to me a day later meeting my minimum.

Engineering Systems Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amtrak (Philadelphia, PA) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online and a few days later received the assessment, two days later a phone interview then two days later a face-to-face panel interview (thanks Glassdoor.com, I was prepared for the panel - plus HR notified me it would be panel). I was the 1st or one of the 1st ppl they interviewed and was told they were still interviewing other candidates and would not have a decision until mid-July or so. Then I received the call - ecstatic!!!

Interview Questions

• What do I know about the software application they will use for Asset Management?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't need to negotiate. They treated me with respect and showed me what they thought I was worth by presenting me with an excellent offer. I am content and above satisfied. I can't wait to start, this will be interesting.

Revenue Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amtrak (Washington, DC) in June 2014.

Interview

I had applied on line for the revenue analyst position. With in a week of applying i was called to come in for a in person panel interview. The entire interviewing process took about 45 to 60 minutes. Most of the questions were focused on understanding how good i was at data and revenue analysis and how i am at identifying or analyzing patters present in historical data.

Train Services Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amtrak in May 2014.

Interview

I submitted an application online and 2 months later I recieved an invitation via email to attend one of several orientation/testing sessions, as they were hiring for several jobs. The one I attended had four people and we took 3 tests: Math, Situational and Personality. If you passed those you get called to take a physical endurance test, if you pass that you get called for an interview. The interview was rather intimidating, there were 3 people there in a line and I sat at a desk facing them all, it was very nerveracking. If you did well there you get a call with an offer, contigent upon a backround check and drug/physical test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You are given a sheet on what the pay will be, no negotiation.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amtrak (Washington, DC) in April 2014.

Interview

submit resume on university career platform, got an interview opportunity several weeks later. Questions about why do you think you are a good fit to this position. What do you do outside school is asked.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Assistant Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

interviewed at Amtrak (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

3 tests taken at Chicago. Video situation analysis, math, and personality

Interview Questions

• I was told I scored extremely well in the first two tests and failed the personality test. Don't read too much into the questions   Answer Question

Electrician Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amtrak (New Haven, CT) in December 2013.

Interview

I applied online using the Amtrak Careers web site. I was contacted about two weeks later to schedule a skills test and group informational interview. I took the skills test, which apparently almost everyone passed, and then scheduled a one-on-one interview for the next month. I also scheduled a physical strength test at another location.

On the day of my 1:1 interview, it snowed. The interviewer did not bother to show up, nor did anyone contact me. I showed up at the Amtrak office for the interview only to be greeted by a very confused operations person. They made several calls to find out what was happening, and eventually put me on the phone with somebody. It also turned out that the person who was interviewing me was going to be on vacation for the next two weeks, and any rescheduled meeting would happen after that.

I then went back home (on still mostly unplowed streets) to contact the original HR person. I was told that someone had called me (they didn't, I have caller ID) and sent an email (again no, not even in the spam folder). I was also told that we would be rescheduling. I was not contacted at all to reschedule, and my queries and reminders went unanswered until I gave up about 6 weeks later.

It was an extremely disappointing experience. I went out of my way to take the tests (one in New Haven and one in Fairfield) and made sure I showed up early for the interview even though it had snowed heavily. I was not given the courtesy of a cancellation call, nor was I rescheduled as promised. If the position was simply filled, a simple email, letter, or phone call indicating this would have been appreciated. As it is, the Amtrak hiring process came across as extremely unprofessional, and did not seem to be taken very seriously by the staff involved.

Interview Questions

• There were several questions about vacuum tubes on the skills test!   2 Answers

Decision Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amtrak (Washington, DC) in November 2013.

Interview

Phone Screen, panel phone Interview and then two more face to face panel interviews. Few technical questions on data extraction. Questions on organizational skills, revenue management, building reports. SQL is very helfpul.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with Revenue Management?   1 Answer

Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amtrak (Boston, MA) in October 2013.

Interview

An unexpected panel interview with four members of the NE Division's top brass in Boston. Shortly into the interview (first 3 minutes), I learned that this was a newly created position following an internal restructuring and that the job would likely go to one of the five recently displaced incumbent employees. The interview proceeded nonetheless and was most professional and very formal. Despite this, I received, as expected, a form rejection letter about a month later and no responses to any of the follow-up inquiries I submitted. Interview cost me a full day of time and a $200 train ticket to Boston. The had a list of questions and went around the room twice with each person asking me two questions. They limited my responses to two minutes and strictly enforced this limitation, several times cutting me off -- rather awkward.

Interview Questions

• Describe your methodology for task management and prioritization.   1 Answer