Amtrak

27 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Train Attendant Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amtrak in September 2009.

Interview Details – Fill out an application and turn in a resume with a cover letter.
Get a call back for an interview.
They will drug test you for everything with your uriine and hair.
They will test you for your balance.
They will put you in a hearing booth and test your hearing.

Interview Question – What would you do if drugs were carried on board by a co-worker? Would you turn them in?   View Answer

Director Interview

Director
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Amtrak in March 2009.

Interview Details – The hiring proces is one by which there is a standard set of questions that you will be asked and they ask these same questions to eveyone. While that sounds good in concept, in practice it is very limiting. It prevents an open and free discussion which is critical to a good interview. The result is that Amtrak does not do that good of a job hiring.

Interview Question – None of the questions should be unexpected. The are all difficult in a sense because they are canned questions meant for general interviews rather than this specific interview. An example is "What is your biggest weakenss"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is a limited amount of negotiation. You might be able to get more vacation or a slightly higher salary

Senior Analyst Interview

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amtrak in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Approximately 1 week later was contacted by HR recruiter for an interview. The interview was supposed to be a 2 person panel interview with the hiring mgr and his superior. His superior was a "no show" and attended via conference call. All questions were centered around working with difficult people or in a difficult situation. The interviewers seemed quite aggrevated when I could not detail a time I worked for an "impossible" mgr. Instead of probing the question in a different way they instead collaborated on how they could not believe I "never" had an "impossible" mgr. The interviewer folded up the corner of his notes like a high school test taker and asked only behavioral questions like how you handle criticism and difficult people. I was never asked questions related to the position. Outside of these unusual behaviors, the interviewers were pleasant. The HR recruiter was very pleasant and informative.

Interview Question – Tell about a time you had a manager that was impossible to work for.   Answer Question

Security Officer Interview

Security Officer
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Amtrak in May 2012.

Interview Details – takes awhile because a lot of people apply to job openings. but i had inside help. other than that, if you really want the job just be proactive and communicate with the hiring department to continuously express interest. be honest and up front about everything, otherwise it will come back to haunt you

Lead Interview

Newark, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amtrak.

Interview Details – 90% of the current employees are related to another employee or a retired one. It is very rare to hear that you got the job just by applying. Interview; they all ready kno who you are, so it doesn't really matter much. IF you don't know anyone, they are looking for someone who is ambitious.

Interview Question – I wouldn't worry about this question for an Amtrak job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing to negotiate.

LSA Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amtrak in October 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online, the system is incredibly complicated. The system is in need of a major overhaul.

Was contacted by local recruiter, and asked to come in for a test. The test consisted of three modules, each 5 minutes long. Modules included 1. English (Reading/Comprehension) 2. Math abilities and one other.

If you passed the test (completed on a scantron sheet), you are called in to interview with local operations managers.

Once selected you wait for months to get assigned to a training class date, then complete 3 weeks of training for just $60/day! Once three week initial training is concluded you train on the job with others in your craft - most of the time you are paired up with the most incompetent employees and learn nothing.

Interview Question – None were difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation for union represented positions.

Reservation Sales Agent Interview

Reservation Sales Agent
Riverside, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Amtrak in August 2011.

Interview Details – it took a long time to hear from them i just barely got hired and wont start til october. first i took a personality and literature test (easy). a month later i was called to come in for an interview (12 questions). I was interviewed by three people and i got a call in about a week.

Interview Question – tell us of a time where you were faced with a difficult situation with a customer and did you handle it?   View Answer

IT Manager Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amtrak in May 2009.

Interview Details – I was a contractor, so I applied to the position via an internal referral. The interview process is standard; I was interviewed by three managers. The questions were typical, perhaps a couple I didn't expect but was not an issue.

Overall the process of being interviewed and hired can be an extensive one; it was for me. It can take about three to four weeks. Mine took almost two months. It is worth it though - being an employee of the railroad corporation has good benefits including an additional railroad retirement fund.

Interview Question – What typical software and/or tools do you use and why? {This was a question towards the end of the interview - it is not hard, but your answer will be evaluated)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You do have some room for negotiation, but it depends on the hiriing manager and/or director.

Director Interview

Director
Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at Amtrak in September 2008.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of interviews with human resources then a number of peer or other senior managers in the department. Following those interviews I had an opportunity to interview with the hiring manager. All of the interviews were professional and each of the individuals appeared knowledgeable and experienced in their area of expertise.

Interview Question – How would you handle the competing priorities placed on management?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Minimal. HR presented an offer and there were opportunities to counter. Some flexibility in salary but minimal flexibility in benefits.

Electrician Interview

Long Island City, NY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Amtrak in June 2008.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a response a few weeks later to come in and take a written test, the test was a little difficult but if you study before u can pass. then told to call a number in a few days to find out if i passed . i called and got a recording that i passed and was told to call another number to set up appointment for interview, then was given a date and went in for a panel interview with a representative of the HR department and a supervisor of the mechanical department. final determination of hiring status was made a few days later and confrmed with a phone call from someone from HR department. the whole process took about a month and a half.

Interview Question – average questions about your backgrond   View Answers (2)

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amtrak