Amtrak

Updated Nov 23, 2014

Electrician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amtrak in December 2013.

I applied online using the Amtrak Careers web site. I was contacted about two weeks later to schedule a skills test and group informational interview. I took the skills test, which apparently almost everyone passed, and then scheduled a one-on-one interview for the next month. I also scheduled a physical strength test at another location.

On the day of my 1:1 interview, it snowed. The interviewer did not bother to show up, nor did anyone contact me. I showed up at the Amtrak office for the interview only to be greeted by a very confused operations person. They made several calls to find out what was happening, and eventually put me on the phone with somebody. It also turned out that the person who was interviewing me was going to be on vacation for the next two weeks, and any rescheduled meeting would happen after that.

I then went back home (on still mostly unplowed streets) to contact the original HR person. I was told that someone had called me (they didn't, I have caller ID) and sent an email (again no, not even in the spam folder). I was also told that we would be rescheduling. I was not contacted at all to reschedule, and my queries and reminders went unanswered until I gave up about 6 weeks later.

It was an extremely disappointing experience. I went out of my way to take the tests (one in New Haven and one in Fairfield) and made sure I showed up early for the interview even though it had snowed heavily. I was not given the courtesy of a cancellation call, nor was I rescheduled as promised. If the position was simply filled, a simple email, letter, or phone call indicating this would have been appreciated. As it is, the Amtrak hiring process came across as extremely unprofessional, and did not seem to be taken very seriously by the staff involved.

Interview Questions
    • There were several questions about vacuum tubes on the skills test!   View Answer

Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amtrak in October 2013.

An unexpected panel interview with four members of the NE Division's top brass in Boston. Shortly into the interview (first 3 minutes), I learned that this was a newly created position following an internal restructuring and that the job would likely go to one of the five recently displaced incumbent employees. The interview proceeded nonetheless and was most professional and very formal. Despite this, I received, as expected, a form rejection letter about a month later and no responses to any of the follow-up inquiries I submitted. Interview cost me a full day of time and a $200 train ticket to Boston. The had a list of questions and went around the room twice with each person asking me two questions. They limited my responses to two minutes and strictly enforced this limitation, several times cutting me off -- rather awkward.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your methodology for task management and prioritization.   View Answer

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amtrak in March 2013.

Applied online. Approximately 1 week later was contacted by HR recruiter for an interview. The interview was supposed to be a 2 person panel interview with the hiring mgr and his superior. His superior was a "no show" and attended via conference call. All questions were centered around working with difficult people or in a difficult situation. The interviewers seemed quite aggrevated when I could not detail a time I worked for an "impossible" mgr. Instead of probing the question in a different way they instead collaborated on how they could not believe I "never" had an "impossible" mgr. The interviewer folded up the corner of his notes like a high school test taker and asked only behavioral questions like how you handle criticism and difficult people. I was never asked questions related to the position. Outside of these unusual behaviors, the interviewers were pleasant. The HR recruiter was very pleasant and informative.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time you had a manager that was impossible to work for.   Answer Question

Assistant Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amtrak in February 2013.

Applied on amtrak.com; submitted my resume and cover letter... About a month later, I received an email saying I had been selected to take an aptitude test for the position. About 10-15 other applicants from all over Southern California and I met at the 8th Street Yard in DTLA and took a customer service test, a personality test and a math/reading test. About a month or so later, I was informed by phone that I passed the test and was selected to have a face-to-face interview in about 2 weeks. That interview was a panel made up of 2 front line managers, 1 mid-level manager & the Union rep. They asked a series of "give us an example of when you..." questions as well as some basic introductory questions. In addition, they explained in detail the job, the training process, entry-level employee expectations, etc..., and then asked finally, if offered the position, would I still be interested given the nature of the railroad, the obligation to join the union, the long training process, etc...

About 3 weeks later I got a phone call from the HR person offering me a position.

We were told that for the 8 slots we filled, there were 400 applicants each.

I applied December 20th and my start date was March 11.

Interview Questions
    • The nature of the questions were surprisingly easy - or perhaps, I had been training for that interview for the past 10 years working in a Customer Service role - but for me, the most difficult part was sticking to the strict format of "give an example," "what happened," "what was the outcome," and "what would you have done differently..." or something like that.

I don't know what they are looking for, and dont remember if I answered the questions really well, but I just tried to sell them on my personality & genuine willingness/eagerness to do this job & learn.

Answer Question
    They called me offering the job. I already knew what the salary was. They said: you are hired, this is your effective start date, pack your bags, you're going to Delaware for 8 weeks for training! Congratulations..... - the most exciting day of my life.

OBS Train Attendant Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amtrak in February 2013.

No question! this company want's the best of the best. They will look at you from every angle. I found that after we got rolling I felt at ease comfortable in the interview. You can not bluff your way with these professionals. It's not like taking a test. You must be for real or you will be asked to leave at any time in the process

Interview Questions
    • I did not find any of the questions really difficult. A question that was asked is: Describe a conflict with a co-worker and how did you resolve it?   View Answer

Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amtrak.

90% of the current employees are related to another employee or a retired one. It is very rare to hear that you got the job just by applying. Interview; they all ready kno who you are, so it doesn't really matter much. IF you don't know anyone, they are looking for someone who is ambitious.

Interview Questions
    • I wouldn't worry about this question for an Amtrak job.   Answer Question
    Nothing to negotiate.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amtrak in August 2012.

Applied online. Aptitude test. HR calls to tell you that you have passed and will be scheduled for an interview. The interview is with 3 managers/administrators.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult situation you've had with a consumer and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amtrak in May 2012.

Interview with 3 people for 2 different positions, not too bad.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with someone you don't like?   View Answer
    No negotiation phase.

Security Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amtrak in May 2012.

takes awhile because a lot of people apply to job openings. but i had inside help. other than that, if you really want the job just be proactive and communicate with the hiring department to continuously express interest. be honest and up front about everything, otherwise it will come back to haunt you

Locomotive Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Amtrak in March 2012.

Complete fiasco. HR has no idea who they want, or who they have talked to. HR director demanded I interview and apply after I already had a signed contract.

Contract employment.