Amtrak Interview Questions & Reviews

3.1

Electronic Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Amtrak in April 2011.

You will be called in for a for a class overview of the position and what is expected of you. You will then be given a basic math and English test. Basically 5th grade math ( fractions, division, multiplication, addition, subtraction and averages) and reading comprehension. If you passed you will then be called for an interview. There will be an HR representative and and a field manager of some sort for specific job related questions. If you are selected you will be sent for a drug screen, physical and eye exam. If all is past they will make you an official offer and schedule you for your two week initial railroad safety class. Good luck this is an outstanding opportunity!!!

Interview Questions
    • All questions were keyed around job responsibilities, like being able to work outside all year round. None of the ridiculous questions that most HR people ask that have no bearing on the job.   View Answer
    You will be hired into a union contract position. Everyone in that position will b earning the exact same amount per hour no matter how years on the job. You will get raises based on union contract re negotiations.

Locomotive Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Amtrak in March 2012.

Complete fiasco. HR has no idea who they want, or who they have talked to. HR director demanded I interview and apply after I already had a signed contract.

Contract employment.

Reservation Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Riverside, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3+ months - interviewed at Amtrak in September 2011.

I was initially called late June of 2011 for an app I had submitted late May. I was informed that I would be contacted sometime in August with further instructions. I received a call mid August letting me know I had been selected to be interviewed for the position contingent on a drug screening, physical, and testing. I had to first do a 50 question test which involved me being in Riverside at the call center at 8AM. The test lasted about 90 minutes.

A week later I was called and told I had passed the test. I was then asked to go back and interview for the position 9 days later. I completed the interview and was called a week after that and told I had to take a physical and drug screening. I was scheduled to do this in a week.

none

Principal Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Amtrak in July 2009.

The hiring process at Amtrak is very slow with little communication to those that apply and the candidates.
    The interview process is geared toward relating to the culture and little on experience.

Interview Questions
    • Discussion about the business and expectations of knowing the business.   Answer Question
    Negotiation on the salary was limited.

Assistant Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3+ months - interviewed at Amtrak in February 2013.

Applied on amtrak.com; submitted my resume and cover letter... About a month later, I received an email saying I had been selected to take an aptitude test for the position. About 10-15 other applicants from all over Southern California and I met at the 8th Street Yard in DTLA and took a customer service test, a personality test and a math/reading test. About a month or so later, I was informed by phone that I passed the test and was selected to have a face-to-face interview in about 2 weeks. That interview was a panel made up of 2 front line managers, 1 mid-level manager & the Union rep. They asked a series of "give us an example of when you..." questions as well as some basic introductory questions. In addition, they explained in detail the job, the training process, entry-level employee expectations, etc..., and then asked finally, if offered the position, would I still be interested given the nature of the railroad, the obligation to join the union, the long training process, etc...

About 3 weeks later I got a phone call from the HR person offering me a position.

We were told that for the 8 slots we filled, there were 400 applicants each.

I applied December 20th and my start date was March 11.

Interview Questions
    • The nature of the questions were surprisingly easy - or perhaps, I had been training for that interview for the past 10 years working in a Customer Service role - but for me, the most difficult part was sticking to the strict format of "give an example," "what happened," "what was the outcome," and "what would you have done differently..." or something like that.

I don't know what they are looking for, and dont remember if I answered the questions really well, but I just tried to sell them on my personality & genuine willingness/eagerness to do this job & learn.
        Answer Question
    They called me offering the job. I already knew what the salary was. They said: you are hired, this is your effective start date, pack your bags, you're going to Delaware for 8 weeks for training! Congratulations..... - the most exciting day of my life.

Legal Department Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amtrak in January 2012.

I interviewed with two Directors. One of the interviewers was pleasant, but the other was rude, acted as if she was annoyed, and spent most of the interview trying to intimidate me.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked the same question several times....Tell us what you say is your weakness.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amtrak in May 2012.

Interview with 3 people for 2 different positions, not too bad.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with someone you don't like?   View Answer
    No negotiation phase.

Train Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amtrak in September 2009.

Fill out an application and turn in a resume with a cover letter.
    Get a call back for an interview.
    They will drug test you for everything with your uriine and hair.
    They will test you for your balance.
    They will put you in a hearing booth and test your hearing.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if drugs were carried on board by a co-worker? Would you turn them in?   View Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Amtrak in March 2009.

The hiring proces is one by which there is a standard set of questions that you will be asked and they ask these same questions to eveyone. While that sounds good in concept, in practice it is very limiting. It prevents an open and free discussion which is critical to a good interview. The result is that Amtrak does not do that good of a job hiring.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions should be unexpected. The are all difficult in a sense because they are canned questions meant for general interviews rather than this specific interview. An example is "What is your biggest weakenss"   View Answer
    There is a limited amount of negotiation. You might be able to get more vacation or a slightly higher salary

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amtrak in March 2013.

Applied online. Approximately 1 week later was contacted by HR recruiter for an interview. The interview was supposed to be a 2 person panel interview with the hiring mgr and his superior. His superior was a "no show" and attended via conference call. All questions were centered around working with difficult people or in a difficult situation. The interviewers seemed quite aggrevated when I could not detail a time I worked for an "impossible" mgr. Instead of probing the question in a different way they instead collaborated on how they could not believe I "never" had an "impossible" mgr. The interviewer folded up the corner of his notes like a high school test taker and asked only behavioral questions like how you handle criticism and difficult people. I was never asked questions related to the position. Outside of these unusual behaviors, the interviewers were pleasant. The HR recruiter was very pleasant and informative.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time you had a manager that was impossible to work for.   Answer Question