Amyris

Updated Nov 27, 2014

2.8

Senior Procurement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Amyris in November 2014.

I applied via online posting by the HR consultant the next day he called in and had a brief chat of my background, their requirements, the current challenges the dept is in and the objective. Which is essentially typical of any procurement dept in any org. Bottom line, the goal is to streamline the dept by revamping the processes, reduced their AVL and weed out non-performing vendors, establish KPIs, implement contracts and execute strategic sourcing... I was told all in by January 2015. Already told the HR consultant that all that would be humanly impossible for just 1 month most especially after learning that the company will be having a week off this December essentially having 3 work weeks! We both agreed that I can clarify this with the hiring VP which I can during the interview.

So I came down for the in person interview after the weekend. All were nice and pleasant and looking forward speaking with the hiring manager to clear and clarify the duration of service in relation to the goals and objectives of the position. But to my surprise not only that the hiring manager shows undecisiveness the hiring manager was clearly avoiding to answer all the valid questions I raised. Like: 1- given the task and objective of the position this cannot be accomplished with a 3 work week timeline especially your company will be shutting down for a week long vacation after the Holidays. Do you really believe that those objective can be accomplished in only 3weeks?
    The hiring manager's response was not even near to to question asked!
    2- ok tif hat's the case then how you will,evaluate the employee then? Is it by the number of transactions (pr/po) in a day or again, the objective and goals based in the JD. The hiring managers response was so confusing that the hiring manager can't even look to your eyes to say it.

Though the interview was good for the most part after that I remembered the reviews here in Glassdoor. Whats mentioned in there regarding the non technical group and a number of higher management is true.

Associate Scientist II Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amyris.

Lengthy phone interview, email exchanges, group interview with managers. I applied on their website, I received an e-mail then phone call. Then a phone interview. Then an in-person interview lasting a few hours.

Associate Scientist I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amyris in July 2014.

There was an initial phone interview with the hiring manager. The following week, I met one-on-one with the hiring manager and four other managers. This took about 2.5 hours.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't many difficult technical questions. They did ask a few questions about working in a team environment, so that seemed to be important.   Answer Question

Analytical Chemist Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amyris.

Phone interview for 1 hour by hiring manager, then they decided to bring you in for a regular half day process for a Associate Scientist (RA) position. Starting with meeting with HR. and then hiring manager and coworkers. Technical questions will be asked, prepare for some questions to ask them to cut down their question time.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you leave your previous company. How do you rate your previous boss.   Answer Question

Associate Scientist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amyris in February 2012.

Applied as an employee referral. Spoke with hiring manager right away. Interviewed with 6 people - individually. Took some time to get an offer, but was fair with great benefits. Took some time for background check to clear. First day set up was awkward, but it all worked out.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to describe a time I had to ask for help on a project.   View Answer
    I accepted the offer.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amyris in December 2010.

I interviewed with all of the EAs that worked in the company as well as all of the team members that I would be supporting. In total I interviewed with at least 9 people and went to the company 4 different times.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a lot about working as part of a team, asked for specific examples.   Answer Question
    I went through an agency; negotiation was simple and I was pleased with the outcome.