Anadarko Petroleum Interview Questions

Updated Aug 22, 2015

2.8

Graphics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Anadarko Petroleum (The Woodlands, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview was for an entry to mid-level graphic designer position (which for some reason they call "graphics anaylst"). This was actually my second time interviewing for the same or a similar position. First I got a phone call from a recruiter who went through my resume with me and asked me to explain my experience in a little more detail. (It turns out she was looking at a 2 year old resume from the first time I applied, even though I had sent in an updated one...the first of many hiccups in the process.) She told me very clearly that I sounded like an excellent candidate and that she would contact me again shortly with more information. I waited a week with no word. I emailed and called Anadarko to speak with her and I could never get through to her. Finally about 2 weeks later, she called me back to set up an in-person interview. None of the days I wanted to come in would work because both the department head and department manager wanted to interview me, so once again, she told me she would call me back. Again I had to call and email when she never got back to me. Finally we settled on a date (about a week later). My interview with the department went extremely well. We went through my portfolio in person and they asked me many questions about my experience. It was a very easy and comfortable interview. Then they took me around the office and introduced me to everyone on team. Afterward, I was escorted to a conference room for a meeting with HR. The manager was gracious enough to wait with me for the representative, who after 15 minutes was nowhere to be found. She had to call the HR department to let someone know I was waiting on them. They told her the recruiter I'd been speaking to this entire time would be down in a minute...and then a man walked in. He apologized for the mistake, but it turns out she was double-booked and he would be going over the company benefits with me. I was very irate at this point. He went over the benefits and we discussed compensation. Overall, the experience with the actual department I was applying with was extremely positive, relaxed, and friendly. The HR experience, however, was a complete embarrassment. After all the back and forth with them just to get me to interview, the only thing that kept me around was the fact that I know someone who works at this company and I know firsthand what a great company it is to work for. However, I wonder how many fantastic candidates have been lost in the sea of HR incompetence.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult, we discussed my current job responsibilities and where I wanted to go in my professional career   Answer Question

HSE Representative II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Anadarko Petroleum (Denver, CO) in January 2014.

Interview

Simple. Apply, phone interview, in person interview. The process took a little longer and I hear it is very difficult to get into industry. They ask questions very relevant to the position and want the right person.

Interview Questions

• Why was I changing from consulting to industry?   1 Answer

Petroleum Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Anadarko Petroleum (Houston, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

Two rounds of on-campus interviews. The first interview was with two engineers, The second was a panel-style interview with four engineers. All of the interviewers were extremely friendly and professional and made the process very easy. Very professional and organized, I enjoyed speaking with them.

Interview Questions

• Which of our core values do you think is most important and why?   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Anadarko Petroleum (Houston, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

I actually interviewed for a scholarship through SPE. I was offered an internship during the interview. It was a pre-college internship, so it wasn't very technical. Mostly data entry.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate at all.

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Anadarko Petroleum in November 2013.

Interview

Casual interview. No standardized list of questions like "tell me about a time you demonstrated ____." More conversational. Most questions stemmed from previous answers. Freedom to ask questions mid-interview if desired. Asked about relevant experiences on my resume, and asked if there was anything else I would like to highlight that was overlooked in previous discussions. Relevant experiences discussed first, followed by more personal questions like where do you want to take your career, what do you like to do outside of school/work, etc. Interview was on campus. Meet and greet reception the night before. Heard back within a week.

Interview Questions

• Why are you qualified for this position?   1 Answer

Facilities Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Anadarko Petroleum (Houston, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

I was contacted via email by a senior engineer to schedule a phone interview. Another senior engineer joined on the phone so there was a 3 way conference call, which normally would be awkward to manage but it went quite smoothly. Overall it was a great conversation as the questions were not super technical, but more behavioral wanting to know my motivations, mid to long term career plans, and familiarity with Anadarko's operations. They ended up going with a more senior applicant which was fine as it wasn't the exact type of role I was looking for. That being said both interviewers were impressed as I was equally impressed with them and still very interested in a career at Anadarko.

Interview Questions

• What inspires you to want to work in the oil and gas industry?   Answer Question

Geologist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Anadarko Petroleum.

Interview

Had lunch with other geologists and geology managers from variety of groups. After lunch, I gave a presentation to about 10 people. Followed by 4 one-on-one interviews. The last meeting was with an HR representative. Took a tour of the facility (which is incredible). That was the end of the formal process. Waited 3 months for a response.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Anadarko Petroleum.

Interview

Unlike most oil and gas companies, Anadarko recruiters are given the ability to hire interns directly without having to go back to HR. The process usually involves an initial wave of interviews with most interested students on campus. This first interview was short (~10 minutes) and rather combative. Second interviews were then conducted that afternoon with a handful of those who interviewed in the morning. The second interview was predominately a discussion about my thesis and previous work history, and I don't recall any behavioral questions being asked. Offers were made the following business day.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Anadarko Petroleum in January 2013.

Interview

I was very excited to be selected for an on campus interview with Anadarko. Leading up to the interview,I was eager to seek employment with the company because I'm really interested in their internship program because of the great opportunity to get expose to oil and gas accounting. However, the interview experience had left me disappointed. A few things that the two interviewers need to work on in my opinion ( I was interviewed by the midstream accounting manager and another accountant: 1. Do not try to write down every detail that I say in the interview. Isnt the point of an interview is to get to know me better as oppose to pinpointing every little thing I say? 2. Please at least try to be more engage in the interview even though you do not think the candidate your interviewing is what your looking for. You guys asked a candidate for an interview, so please give them the same treatment and respect that you provide to all interviewees. 3. Please provide details about the position the candidate is applying for. The whole purpose of the interview is to tell the candidate about the position they are applying for and how they fit into that role. The fact that you guys did not talk to me about the position shows your judgement towards me( the interviewee). This make me feel that you guys will only go on and talk about the position or show more interest if you guys like the interviewee. 4. Please put up a face even if your not interested in an interviewee. The fact that you guys select the person for an interview means that they deserve an equal chance to be known more about at the interview. Even if you do not like the interviewee at first sight, do not try to shut them out or try to end the interview early.

ITS Analyst Interview

Interview

Met the recruiters a few times through the career fairs held at my school. Got an interview. The interview was all behavioral but one of the interviewer seemed a little too full of himself. Have not heard back yet but it's been less than a week.