Anadarko Petroleum

2.8

Facilities Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Anadarko Petroleum in December 2014.

I was contacted via email by a senior engineer to schedule a phone interview. Another senior engineer joined on the phone so there was a 3 way conference call, which normally would be awkward to manage but it went quite smoothly.

Overall it was a great conversation as the questions were not super technical, but more behavioral wanting to know my motivations, mid to long term career plans, and familiarity with Anadarko's operations.

They ended up going with a more senior applicant which was fine as it wasn't the exact type of role I was looking for. That being said both interviewers were impressed as I was equally impressed with them and still very interested in a career at Anadarko.

Interview Questions
    • What inspires you to want to work in the oil and gas industry?   Answer Question

Geologist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Anadarko Petroleum.

Had lunch with other geologists and geology managers from variety of groups. After lunch, I gave a presentation to about 10 people. Followed by 4 one-on-one interviews. The last meeting was with an HR representative. Took a tour of the facility (which is incredible). That was the end of the formal process. Waited 3 months for a response.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Anadarko Petroleum.

Unlike most oil and gas companies, Anadarko recruiters are given the ability to hire interns directly without having to go back to HR. The process usually involves an initial wave of interviews with most interested students on campus. This first interview was short (~10 minutes) and rather combative. Second interviews were then conducted that afternoon with a handful of those who interviewed in the morning. The second interview was predominately a discussion about my thesis and previous work history, and I don't recall any behavioral questions being asked. Offers were made the following business day.

Summer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Anadarko Petroleum in January 2013.

I was very excited to be selected for an on campus interview with Anadarko. Leading up to the interview,I was eager to seek employment with the company because I'm really interested in their internship program because of the great opportunity to get expose to oil and gas accounting. However, the interview experience had left me disappointed.

A few things that the two interviewers need to work on in my opinion ( I was interviewed by the midstream accounting manager and another accountant:

1. Do not try to write down every detail that I say in the interview. Isnt the point of an interview is to get to know me better as oppose to pinpointing every little thing I say?

2. Please at least try to be more engage in the interview even though you do not think the candidate your interviewing is what your looking for. You guys asked a candidate for an interview, so please give them the same treatment and respect that you provide to all interviewees.

3. Please provide details about the position the candidate is applying for. The whole purpose of the interview is to tell the candidate about the position they are applying for and how they fit into that role. The fact that you guys did not talk to me about the position shows your judgement towards me( the interviewee). This make me feel that you guys will only go on and talk about the position or show more interest if you guys like the interviewee.

4. Please put up a face even if your not interested in an interviewee. The fact that you guys select the person for an interview means that they deserve an equal chance to be known more about at the interview. Even if you do not like the interviewee at first sight, do not try to shut them out or try to end the interview early.

ITS Analyst Interview

Met the recruiters a few times through the career fairs held at my school. Got an interview. The interview was all behavioral but one of the interviewer seemed a little too full of himself. Have not heard back yet but it's been less than a week.

Staff Field Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Anadarko Petroleum in September 2013.

Simple, to the point, will ask you why you are desiring to leave current employer, and why you want to work for Anadarko. They were very professional and had a genuine interest in what you could bring to the table. This is not a company that you want to try to slide a line of BS to during an interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you wanting to work for Anadarko?   View Answer
    Simple, there was no competition. I interviewed with Shell, BHP Billiton, and COP. Anadarko did not have the top pay offer or the best benefits, but had the best total package from an entire total compensation perspective.

Petrophysicist Interview

First two interviews were over the phone. Very casual conversations. Invited to a whole day interview. Very polite, respectful, and talented people. Interviewed with a panel and then by teams of two/three. People are very spirited and enjoy working there. Very proud employees. Very enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions
    • Interview requires mastery in public speaking skills. No real surprises. Clear expectations were set upfront. Very professional team leads interviewing in groups.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX
    Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Anadarko Petroleum.

The interview with Anadarko was great. The person interviewing was very laid back and wanted to help you shine as much as he could. He asked questions that were easy to answer and went at your pace. They seemed to want candidates that were down to earth, and like-able. I got the impression that they are turned off by nerdy students.

Analyst Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Anadarko Petroleum.

Really bad, because they ask you to record your interview and then send it to them. So if you are camera conscious you are toasted. Bad way to rule out good candidates. Lack of human interaction. No phone interview and no personal interaction!

Interview Questions
    • One feels stupid looking into the camera and answering questions. And you have 2-3 chances to time yourself. Gave only a day and a half to submit the interview.   Answer Question

Land Department Interview

Interveiwers were very knowledgeable and nice. Asked very good questions about my experence and how much i knew about the job I was appying for. They were very courteous and it didn't feel like I was being interrogated but rather interested in what kind of experience I had.