Analysis Group

Analysis Group Interview Questions

Updated Dec 30, 2014
Updated Dec 30, 2014

Senior Analyst Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Analysis Group in October 2008.

Interviewed as a non-MBA, technical terminal master’s student with only internship experience.

Had very positive and long interaction (20+ minutes) with a similarly credentialed hire at an Ivy League campus visit. Know this is what got me into the first round. Indeed, I found for almost all economic consultancies the career fair screen was vital in getting to make an office visit. It is a good time to demonstrate you understand what the economic consulting industry is, and importantly what it is not (i.e. management consulting in the vein of McKinsey), as well as highlight relevant coursework and statistical computing skills (very important for non-PhD, graduate school hires).

Had a second round team interview over the phone conducted by jointly by a seasoned Analyst and an Associate with a technical graduate credential and several years work experience. Highly detailed discussion of my coursework to date, modeling experience, knowledge of litigation industry trends, etc. Practice group I would interview with onsite was indentified at this time. It is imperative you know what each office specializes in, as outside of the Boston headquarters and Washington they tend to have niches (e.g. Silicon Valley for IP, IT issues). Indeed, at the graduate level, you are unlikely to be hired as a generalist as undergraduates are, but instead will have two or three focus areas (e.g. financial services, antitrust).

Third and final round interview occurred in office. Guided, technical case study closely mimicking real project work (i.e. very different from management consulting case study) with senior staff. Getting the correct numerical and theoretical answers, not simply demonstrating “how you think about the problem,” was make or break. Specifically, asked to identify which models would be used, the underlying microeconomic logic, key literature in the field, etc. Was followed by a discussion of my writing sample with other an in house, “expert” level employee. Grilled hard, and got thrown some very challenging final examination style econometric questions that I was definitely not expecting. Next meeting conducted by an MBA had a more business development feel to it. Lots of detailed questions about where the industry was going, what the company might be doing differently, how Analysis Group is different than NERA, CRA International (hint: it’s not). Definitely an attempt to feel out if they could keep you past two or three years or if they would need to dump you for lack of all around project leadership.

As staff would escort you out, close their door, and immediately follow up by phone with the hiring manger, some candidates were clearly cut as this point and got thanked for their time. Struck me as particularly crass since they could see the group of candidates who were remaining in the adjacent conference room, making it painfully obvious they were done for. Those who were left were then brought in for a very unidirectional lecture by the office head about the nature of the work, the long hours, unreasonable clients, cost of living, etc. Salaries were floated in the high 60’s with a clear path to six figures mapped out over 4 or so years. Remaining were then offered a catered lunch at the company’s expense. Apparently, it was the initial intent to hire all of us.

Skip forward a week. Receive no response to follow up emails, go no-offered by mail one month later. Subsequently learned from insider that office was beginning to struggle with billable hours and was immediately trimming hiring of mid-levels to weather the looming financial crisis. Given this was early October of 2008, clearly the right decision in hindsight. Other major players like LECG soon go into operational tailspin.

All-in-all though, the best economic / litigation consulting firm I have interviewed with. Very bright people, amazing project work. Arguably one of the best non-Bain, BCG, McKinsey, Monitor consulting firms all around.

Interview Questions
    • Explain to me the statistical logic of using estimator X over estimator Y?

If you had to use Y, what changes would you have to make to your analysis?

Answer Question
    • Writes down some detailed econometric formulas.

Explain to me what the problem with this set up is? How should it be done correctly?

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Analysis Group in October 2009.

First round interview was a fit interview. Final round interviews were again all fit interviews. Talked to a variety of people with different positions within the firm, including analyst, manager and recruiter. Depending on who's interviewing, the questions can be focused on one particular internship experience or an academic class. Overall, it was hard to tell how well you were doing since it was all fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Analysis Group in May 2011.

I applied online for the Analyst position and received a call about a week later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was done by an Analyst and a Senior Analyst and they asked me questions about my research, coursework, and how I would deal with unstructured problems that you encounter in economic consulting.

I was then contacted for an on-site interview. The interview took most of the day and consisted of about 6 interviews, one being over lunch. Some interviews were with two people, others were 1 on 1. The interviewers asked behavior questions and questions about my research, previous internships, etc. They really probed into my research experiences and asked some difficult questions. To do well in an interview with AG you really need to know what you have done in and out, as they will ask you questions that you may have not thought about before. Anyone who says these interviews were easy probably didn't go in depth enough about their research, work experience, etc.

While most interviews were laid back, one interview in particular irritated me. The interviewer came in late, asked me a few questions, then after about 10 minutes asked me if I had any questions for her. I was a little bit perplexed as I wasn't sure how I was supposed to fill 20 minutes with questions for her. It seemed like she didn't even look over my resume before she came in and ran out of questions to ask me.

Overall, the interview was OK, but I didn't feel I would fit in with the office culture. It was a small office and they were looking for someone who fit their group. I could tell pretty quickly by some of the questions they asked and things they said that I could never make a connection with most of them.

After 3 weeks I received an e-mail saying I didn't have an offer. I found this a little rude, as the e-mail was from a recruiter who I never spoke with or e-mailed, and when I left the office they said they would let me know the outcome in a week. I guess no one who I interviewed with or the HR person there could be bothered to call me or e-mail me themselves. I found it rude as I had interviewed twice, and drove about 180 miles round trip to their office. If communication with people they interviewed is this slow and inconsiderate, I wonder how they treat their clients?

I would rate my interview experience as neutral, but my overall experience with the firm and HR as negative. They also changed my interview time on three separate occasions.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time when you dealt with an unstructured problem and how did you solve it?   Answer Question
    • What was your favorite undergraduate course and why?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Analysis Group in November 2009.

In my undergraduate AG recruiting experience, I had only two rounds of interviews.

First round interview: The first round was a 30 minute long, 2-on-1 interview. No questions were out of the ordinary; it was mostly fit. AG, more than other firms I've interviewed with, is very interested in your coursework and be assured they will comb through your resume and transcript to see which classes you've taken as well as the outcome (grades). Be prepared to talk about some of your favorite and least favorite courses. They also asked questions directly related to my resume (Could you expand on that first bullet point? How did you win that award? How did you obtain those internships?). I gave much lengthier, detailed answers than I normally give in interviews, but, at this stage, I think the two main things they are looking for includes how intelligent you are and how much you know about the firm/how you can draw parallels between your coursework and work experiences to the work AG does.

Final: Very rigorous! Met many members of the AG team in positions ranging from analyst to manager to VP. In total, I believe I had about 7 back-to-back hour long interviews. Some were 1-on-1 whereas a couple were 2-on-1. Be prepared to know your resume inside and out. This is where I had to explain (in-depth) any weak points on my transcript, what I liked and disliked about each of my work experiences, etc. There were a lot of probing questions, as well. In discussing the work I did, we would pause, and my interviewer might ask me how I might have changed anything in the process, whether I had any team conflicts, how the data I used was collected, how that data was weighted and analyzed, etc., and then my "story" would continue from there. While the atmosphere is very casual, reflected in their interactions and dress, don't be taken by surprise by how sharp, intelligent, inquisitive, and curious they are.

Takeaways: know what economic consulting is (it's very different from the strategy and operations/human capital-oriented consulting), research the different practice areas of the company, know precisely why you want to join AG and demonstrate a passion for the work they do, discuss your quantitative abilities and be able to demonstrate that through your resume and interview stories, and keep up a positive energy! The interviews will be challenging but these are all very friendly people who are looking for intellectual curiousity, a passion for economic research and analysis, and a friendly person to have in the office.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Analysis Group in October 2009.

Short, 30-min one-on-one interview with a Partner at my school, which included the standard questions plus a brain-teaser, nothing too hard. Then a second-round interview at the office that lasted for five hours, and consisted of around 9 individual interviews with people are various levels of the company. Looked like a great company, everyone was very friendly and seemed competent, the atmosphere was laid-back.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to explore the considerations behind opening a new product line completely outside of a companies' current production.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Analysis Group.

Final day is a long day- 5 interviews and lunch. All of the interviewers are super nice but they know how to ask tough questions. You need to be ready to discuss your economic research in fine detail. Know specifically how you have 1) worked with the data that you analyzed i.e scatterplots, descriptive statistics, line graphs and what that meant and 2) know all the details of your project. They will ask you questions that you might have never though of before.

To prepare, I went back over the data sets of the projects that I knew I was going to discuss with them. That was probably the best preparation I did. Also, be able to answer any sort of hypothetical scenarios that they throw at you such as: we're doing this anti trust case- what do you think? what should we look at?

Interview Questions
    • 1) How would you price the ability to teleport?
      2) They sat me down in front of an excel spreadsheet and there was an hour of questions about the data that I looked at. You don't need to do anything fancy but you do need to know how basic formulas are made. Mostly, they want to see you work with actual data in front of them.

Answer Question
    None! Offer was tremendous.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Analysis Group in November 2012.

There was one on campus interview and then one "super day" in the office. On the super day I interviewed with three different people for a half hour each. Of the three interviews the first was very general and seemed like a fit interview. The second seemed to focus particularly on my research and was relatively technical. The third was about a case that the interviewer had worked on. The third interview seemed to be kind of like a case but also seemed much less structured than other case interviews I have experienced.

Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Analysis Group.

Phone Interview followed by in person interview on one day. Meet with three different people and one video conference.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Analysis Group in July 2009.

Technical related questions, SAS etc

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Analysis Group in October 2012.

First had a phone interview that was very skills and background based. Asked about previous economic consulting experience, to go into detail regarding studies you conducted or tests you ran. Very quantitative.

Second was five 1 on 1 interviews back to back, mostly about fit and culture at the firm.