Analysis Group

Average Difficulty
103 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Analysis Group

Interview Details – They take a really long time to get back to you between interviews, leaving you thinking "what is going on?. The interviews were not difficult. They have prepared before hand a list of standard questions (mostly behavioral). If they decide not to proceed with you (as was my case), they have the courtesy of letting you know.

Interview Question – They take a really long time to get back to you between interviews, leaving you thinking "what is going on?. The interviews were not difficult. They have prepared before   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group in January 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interviews. They take a really long time to get back to you between interviews, leaving you thinking "what is going on?. The interviews were not difficult. They have prepared before hand a list of standard questions (mostly behavioral). If they decide not to proceed with you (as was my case), they have the courtesy of letting you know.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Questions were like: Tell me about a time you messed up.   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Analysis Group.

Interview Details – Phone Interview followed by in person interview on one day. Meet with three different people and one video conference.

Interview Question – How would you present the odds ratio to your mom?   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group in October 2012.

Interview Details – I was internally referred through a contact and immediately received an email asking when I was available for a brief phone interview. The phone interview took ~30 minutes and consisted of regular screening questions about the culture of the firm and my interests in the position and career. Easy enough, questions you should be prepared for.

A few days later I was asked to visit for an on-site interview of 3 hours, 6 interviews. Each was a one-on-one setting, and half were with analysts or senior analysts the other were with managers or directors (one with HR). The majority of each interview we spent discussing my thesis (in which I used regression) and they often asked questions about my data collection process and my views of its weaknesses. It never seemed as though they had a sheet of questions which they read from--they were genuinely interested in my work and me in general.

After the 6 interviews, the candidates gathered with the interviewers for a short lunch in which we had more time to ask any lingering questions.

Overall I thought it went well, but apparently not well enough. Highly disappointed I didn't receive an offer. I thought I would fit well into the culture and I knew the work was interesting.

Interview Question – Explain multivariable regression to a 5 year old.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Analysis Group in November 2012.

Interview Details – First round was an on-campus interview that lasted 30 minutes, with an Associate and a first-year Analyst. Questions were straightforward, about past research experiences, interest in AG, etc.

Second round was a half-day interview at their downtown office, which included lunch with the Analysts and other interviewees. I was assigned to a conference room, and either a pair of Analysts, or one Associate (or higher ranking employee), came in 30 minute intervals to interview me. It was very heavily based on my prior research experience, they like to delve into it and even ask hypothetical questions about what you might've done differently. Everyone was extremely friendly, and even though I did not receive an offer, I really enjoyed it.

The follow-up, however, was a different story. I had to email the recruiter several times before they finally gave me a response, more than a month later, about the final outcome of my application.

Interview Question – Mini case question about a hypothetical labor trend and generally how you could go about investigating causes behind it.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Analysis Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – This is my second time interviewing with AG. There are 3+1 interviews. Each focus on different aspects, such as technical skills, behavior, case study. You get the last one if all of 3 ppl like you. The last is with a partner, just causal chat.

Negotiation Details – i did not negotiate.

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied through my school career website. It took them about 1 month to process. The HR contacted me to set up a phone interview, which was mainly about my background and econometric/quantitative research experience. Be as detailed as possible about the research. Then on-site interview with other candidates consisted of a lunch with some analysts and 5 1-1 interviews.

Interview Questions

Boston, MA

I interviewed at Analysis Group in November 2012.

Interview Details – First round interview was with an analyst and a senior analyst. Just basic questions about resume and questions like "tell me a time when you had a sudden deadline and how you dealt with it."
Second round interview was in their headquarter in Boston. We (interviewees on the same day) were brought in for lunch, during which we talked with three AG employees quite casually. Then we had five back-to-back interviews. They were quite similar and you just need to talk about your experience again and again. The interviewers were all very nice.

Interview Question – Tell me three strengths of yours   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Analysis Group in November 2012.

Interview Details – Final interview at the office was great. They were very interested in prior economic research experience. All interviewers were very nice and it seemed like a great place to work; I would have taken an offer.

Interview Question – Typical questions about experience and personality (what's your greatest weakness? and such)   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group.

Interview Details – Final day is a long day- 5 interviews and lunch. All of the interviewers are super nice but they know how to ask tough questions. You need to be ready to discuss your economic research in fine detail. Know specifically how you have 1) worked with the data that you analyzed i.e scatterplots, descriptive statistics, line graphs and what that meant and 2) know all the details of your project. They will ask you questions that you might have never though of before.

To prepare, I went back over the data sets of the projects that I knew I was going to discuss with them. That was probably the best preparation I did. Also, be able to answer any sort of hypothetical scenarios that they throw at you such as: we're doing this anti trust case- what do you think? what should we look at?

Interview Question – 1) How would you price the ability to teleport?
2) They sat me down in front of an excel spreadsheet and there was an hour of questions about the data that I looked at. You don't need to do anything fancy but you do need to know how basic formulas are made. Mostly, they want to see you work with actual data in front of them.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None! Offer was tremendous.