Analysis Group Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014
Updated Sep 26, 2014

Summer Analyst Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Analysis Group in January 2013.

I submitted a cover letter, resume, and transcript then got an email 3 days later to schedule a 30 minute phone interview. Mostly, the interview talked about my past research experience. Then the next day I got an email for an in office second round. I interview with 4 people, 30 minutes each, back to back. Mostly, behavioral questions, some about my research. Got an offer 4 days later.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Analysis Group in January 2013.

Phone interview by a senior analyst.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult scenario you have had to deal with in your college career   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group.

Final day is a long day- 5 interviews and lunch. All of the interviewers are super nice but they know how to ask tough questions. You need to be ready to discuss your economic research in fine detail. Know specifically how you have 1) worked with the data that you analyzed i.e scatterplots, descriptive statistics, line graphs and what that meant and 2) know all the details of your project. They will ask you questions that you might have never though of before.

To prepare, I went back over the data sets of the projects that I knew I was going to discuss with them. That was probably the best preparation I did. Also, be able to answer any sort of hypothetical scenarios that they throw at you such as: we're doing this anti trust case- what do you think? what should we look at?

Interview Questions
    • 1) How would you price the ability to teleport?
      2) They sat me down in front of an excel spreadsheet and there was an hour of questions about the data that I looked at. You don't need to do anything fancy but you do need to know how basic formulas are made. Mostly, they want to see you work with actual data in front of them.
        Answer Question
    None! Offer was tremendous.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Analysis Group in November 2012.

First round was an on-campus interview that lasted 30 minutes, with an Associate and a first-year Analyst. Questions were straightforward, about past research experiences, interest in AG, etc.

Second round was a half-day interview at their downtown office, which included lunch with the Analysts and other interviewees. I was assigned to a conference room, and either a pair of Analysts, or one Associate (or higher ranking employee), came in 30 minute intervals to interview me. It was very heavily based on my prior research experience, they like to delve into it and even ask hypothetical questions about what you might've done differently. Everyone was extremely friendly, and even though I did not receive an offer, I really enjoyed it.

The follow-up, however, was a different story. I had to email the recruiter several times before they finally gave me a response, more than a month later, about the final outcome of my application.

Interview Questions
    • Mini case question about a hypothetical labor trend and generally how you could go about investigating causes behind it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Analysis Group in November 2012.

Applied online and got a phone interview from one of the senior analyst. The interview last 23 minutes, she went through my resume in great detail and ask about my experience. Also there are some behavior questions, but no technical questions. After a week they said I'm not a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • Least interest course. I didn't prepare for most of the behavior questions...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

interviewed at Analysis Group in November 2012.

First round interview was with an analyst and a senior analyst. Just basic questions about resume and questions like "tell me a time when you had a sudden deadline and how you dealt with it."
    Second round interview was in their headquarter in Boston. We (interviewees on the same day) were brought in for lunch, during which we talked with three AG employees quite casually. Then we had five back-to-back interviews. They were quite similar and you just need to talk about your experience again and again. The interviewers were all very nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group in November 2012.

There was one on campus interview and then one "super day" in the office. On the super day I interviewed with three different people for a half hour each. Of the three interviews the first was very general and seemed like a fit interview. The second seemed to focus particularly on my research and was relatively technical. The third was about a case that the interviewer had worked on. The third interview seemed to be kind of like a case but also seemed much less structured than other case interviews I have experienced.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Analysis Group in November 2012.

Final interview at the office was great. They were very interested in prior economic research experience. All interviewers were very nice and it seemed like a great place to work; I would have taken an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions about experience and personality (what's your greatest weakness? and such)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group in November 2012.

I had an employee referral and was initially contacted for a phone interview. A day later, I was contacted for an in person interview. We had lunch with a group of employees and interviewees, followed by a series of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • I received a test for detail-orientation, essentially looking over a briefing for errors.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group in October 2012.

I was internally referred through a contact and immediately received an email asking when I was available for a brief phone interview. The phone interview took ~30 minutes and consisted of regular screening questions about the culture of the firm and my interests in the position and career. Easy enough, questions you should be prepared for.

A few days later I was asked to visit for an on-site interview of 3 hours, 6 interviews. Each was a one-on-one setting, and half were with analysts or senior analysts the other were with managers or directors (one with HR). The majority of each interview we spent discussing my thesis (in which I used regression) and they often asked questions about my data collection process and my views of its weaknesses. It never seemed as though they had a sheet of questions which they read from--they were genuinely interested in my work and me in general.

After the 6 interviews, the candidates gathered with the interviewers for a short lunch in which we had more time to ask any lingering questions.

Overall I thought it went well, but apparently not well enough. Highly disappointed I didn't receive an offer. I thought I would fit well into the culture and I knew the work was interesting.