Analysis Group

Getting the Interview

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Analysis Group in November 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume and cover letter on-line. Had a brief (30 minute) phone interview a few days later with a guy who managed to be pretty aggressive even over the phone. After I had given a clear description of my graduate school work he asked repetitive and somewhat non-relevant questions--clearly just moving through his sheet of questions. They are extremely quant focused and my research to date has been mixed methods (quant and qual), which was apparently not ok with them. Clearly not a good fit. A reputable company, but the guy who interviewed me sounded very green and was a bit unfriendly.

Interview Questions

Senior Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group in April 2011.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview consisted of background and behavioral type questions, had me describe what an event study is. Second round interviews were very pleasant and actually fun. Everyone there was very welcoming and polite, definitely would be a great place to work. Case interview was "Your the head of the subway system and have to shut down a line, which line will you close?"

Interview Question – "Your the head of the subway system and have to shut down a line, which line will you close?"   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Analysis Group in October 2008.

Interview Details – Interviewed as a non-MBA, technical terminal master’s student with only internship experience.

Had very positive and long interaction (20+ minutes) with a similarly credentialed hire at an Ivy League campus visit. Know this is what got me into the first round. Indeed, I found for almost all economic consultancies the career fair screen was vital in getting to make an office visit. It is a good time to demonstrate you understand what the economic consulting industry is, and importantly what it is not (i.e. management consulting in the vein of McKinsey), as well as highlight relevant coursework and statistical computing skills (very important for non-PhD, graduate school hires).

Had a second round team interview over the phone conducted by jointly by a seasoned Analyst and an Associate with a technical graduate credential and several years work experience. Highly detailed discussion of my coursework to date, modeling experience, knowledge of litigation industry trends, etc. Practice group I would interview with onsite was indentified at this time. It is imperative you know what each office specializes in, as outside of the Boston headquarters and Washington they tend to have niches (e.g. Silicon Valley for IP, IT issues). Indeed, at the graduate level, you are unlikely to be hired as a generalist as undergraduates are, but instead will have two or three focus areas (e.g. financial services, antitrust).

Third and final round interview occurred in office. Guided, technical case study closely mimicking real project work (i.e. very different from management consulting case study) with senior staff. Getting the correct numerical and theoretical answers, not simply demonstrating “how you think about the problem,” was make or break. Specifically, asked to identify which models would be used, the underlying microeconomic logic, key literature in the field, etc. Was followed by a discussion of my writing sample with other an in house, “expert” level employee. Grilled hard, and got thrown some very challenging final examination style econometric questions that I was definitely not expecting. Next meeting conducted by an MBA had a more business development feel to it. Lots of detailed questions about where the industry was going, what the company might be doing differently, how Analysis Group is different than NERA, CRA International (hint: it’s not). Definitely an attempt to feel out if they could keep you past two or three years or if they would need to dump you for lack of all around project leadership.

As staff would escort you out, close their door, and immediately follow up by phone with the hiring manger, some candidates were clearly cut as this point and got thanked for their time. Struck me as particularly crass since they could see the group of candidates who were remaining in the adjacent conference room, making it painfully obvious they were done for. Those who were left were then brought in for a very unidirectional lecture by the office head about the nature of the work, the long hours, unreasonable clients, cost of living, etc. Salaries were floated in the high 60’s with a clear path to six figures mapped out over 4 or so years. Remaining were then offered a catered lunch at the company’s expense. Apparently, it was the initial intent to hire all of us.

Skip forward a week. Receive no response to follow up emails, go no-offered by mail one month later. Subsequently learned from insider that office was beginning to struggle with billable hours and was immediately trimming hiring of mid-levels to weather the looming financial crisis. Given this was early October of 2008, clearly the right decision in hindsight. Other major players like LECG soon go into operational tailspin.

All-in-all though, the best economic / litigation consulting firm I have interviewed with. Very bright people, amazing project work. Arguably one of the best non-Bain, BCG, McKinsey, Monitor consulting firms all around.

Interview Questions

• Explain to me the statistical logic of using estimator X over estimator Y?

If you had to use Y, what changes would you have to make to your analysis?
      Answer Question
  • Writes down some detailed econometric formulas.

Explain to me what the problem with this set up is? How should it be done correctly?
      Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Analysis Group

Worked for Analysis Group? Contribute to the Community!

Analysis Group – Why Work for Us?

Since 1981, Analysis Group has provided outstanding client service to North America’s top law firms, Fortune 100 companies, and government agencies. Our work is grounded in the principles and practices of economic… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Analysis Group Senior Analyst interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Analysis Group employees and interview candidates.