Ancestry.com Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2014
Updated Aug 20, 2014

Business Intelligence Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ancestry.com in June 2014.

Communicated via email with hiring manager to setup interviews. Interviewed for 1 1/2 hours in 3 successive parts. Focused on attitude and personality, technical specifications, and general feeling of how I'd fit in with the team.

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ancestry.com in July 2014.

I found out about the job through someone associated with the company. I then applied online and was emailed shortly after for a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes and at the end, I was asked to come in for an interview. The interview was 2 hours long. It was broken down into 3 interviews (30 mins, 30 mins, and an hour) with one person in each interview.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Ancestry.com in June 2012.

Interview was thorough and on point with a 3 hour programming test with a reasonable example that progresses from a simple solution through multiple object oriented concepts. Questions focused mostly on C# and object oriented concepts with some emphasis on SOLID principles. Other questions focused on SQL and database design.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between an interface and an abstract class and where and why would you use them?   Answer Question
    Simple but not very straightforward.

UI Developer (Archives.com, Part of Ancestry) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ancestry.com in November 2013.

Took two weeks. Applied online and got a call from HR to take a coding challenge. It took quite a bit of time (8 hours). Got a call after submitting the code for a phone screen, and then in-person interview. The whole engineering team interviewed. They did not ask many questions regarding the coding challenge ( I was surprised). They asked lot of Javascript technical questions, I answered most of them except for one or two. On the projector they brought up the company site I was working for and asked lot of questions about the company and regarding my contribution.

After that I never heard back from them. They didn't even have courtesy to send a response. I do not like to work for that kind of a company even if I get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Coding challenge 1: Build a nav bar, and a form which takes a input and dynamically calculating alerts and displaying on the nav item. Concept: set a cookie and get a cookie.

Coding Challenge 2: built a plugin similar to JQuery light box.
        Answer Question

Senior Manager, Business Development & Partnerships Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Ancestry.com in January 2013.

I applied on line and was contacted via email about having a phone screen. I introduced myself and she asked me to walk her through my resume. She then proceeded to insult me and ask how I ever could have thought I was qualified for the position.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the interview was staying professional while she kept insulting me on my lack of experience. I wonder why I was contacted in the first place if there was that much of a gap.   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ancestry.com.

There was the typical hiring process here. It only included 1 interview, with 2 different managers at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • There really was not any difficult questions asked, they are pretty relaxed on who they hire.   Answer Question
    It was just a call, asking if I wanted the job.

Front End Web Developer Interview

The interview process was very thorough. I had to complete a coding assessment first. Once I passed that, there was a physical interview with the team. They were very detailed and even critical. I could tell this was a team looking for the very best candidates.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember specific questions, but they were very in-depth questions about my coding skills.   Answer Question

North American Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ancestry.com in May 2013.

Job posting was online and allowed you to apply directly to company HR department. Contacted 15 days after completion by HR with a pre-screen interview. Pre-screen was general questions regarding experience, interest in position and expectations. Contacted 5 days later by Corporate Controller for 1:1 phone interview which lasted approximately an hour. Interview questions centered around experience in accounting, willingness to stay for an extended period, expectations for career path and salary / benefit expectations.

Interview Questions
    • Willingness to stay for extended period (5-7 years). Seemed unexpected for someone with 11 years of experience and those types of questions are loaded as the respondent feels obligated to agree.   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Ancestry.com.

Submit your resume and fill out a brief application. Brief phone interview (mostly just used to set up a time to meet face to face). One and one interview with one of the call floor managers.

Once you are hired you go through a three week training period (one week of which is on-the-job training). Nice to ease in but honestly we could go through it in much less time.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a difficult or upset client on the phone?   View Answer

Customer Solutions Associate Interview

interviewed at Ancestry.com in August 2013.

Excellent process. Your have to apply then the screen you and then on the phone go over your application. There is a typing assessment. They asked a lot of questions and examples in the in person interview!

Worked for Ancestry.com? Contribute to the Community!