Ancestry.com

Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Human Resources Coordinator
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ancestry.com in July 2014.

Interview Details – I found out about the job through someone associated with the company. I then applied online and was emailed shortly after for a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes and at the end, I was asked to come in for an interview. The interview was 2 hours long. It was broken down into 3 interviews (30 mins, 30 mins, and an hour) with one person in each interview.

Interview Question – What type of person do you work best with?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Provo, UT

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Ancestry.com in June 2012.

Interview Details – Interview was thorough and on point with a 3 hour programming test with a reasonable example that progresses from a simple solution through multiple object oriented concepts. Questions focused mostly on C# and object oriented concepts with some emphasis on SOLID principles. Other questions focused on SQL and database design.

Interview Question – What is the difference between an interface and an abstract class and where and why would you use them?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Simple but not very straightforward.

UI Developer (Archives.com, Part of Ancestry) Interview

UI Developer (Archives.com, Part of Ancestry)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ancestry.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – Took two weeks. Applied online and got a call from HR to take a coding challenge. It took quite a bit of time (8 hours). Got a call after submitting the code for a phone screen, and then in-person interview. The whole engineering team interviewed. They did not ask many questions regarding the coding challenge ( I was surprised). They asked lot of Javascript technical questions, I answered most of them except for one or two. On the projector they brought up the company site I was working for and asked lot of questions about the company and regarding my contribution.

After that I never heard back from them. They didn't even have courtesy to send a response. I do not like to work for that kind of a company even if I get an offer.

Interview Question – Coding challenge 1: Build a nav bar, and a form which takes a input and dynamically calculating alerts and displaying on the nav item. Concept: set a cookie and get a cookie.

Coding Challenge 2: built a plugin similar to JQuery light box.
  Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Manager, Business Development & Partnerships Interview

Senior Manager, Business Development & Partnerships

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ancestry.com in January 2013.

Interview Details – I applied on line and was contacted via email about having a phone screen. I introduced myself and she asked me to walk her through my resume. She then proceeded to insult me and ask how I ever could have thought I was qualified for the position.

Interview Question – The most difficult part of the interview was staying professional while she kept insulting me on my lack of experience. I wonder why I was contacted in the first place if there was that much of a gap.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Associate Interview

Customer Service Associate
Provo, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ancestry.com.

Interview Details – There was the typical hiring process here. It only included 1 interview, with 2 different managers at the same time.

Interview Question – There really was not any difficult questions asked, they are pretty relaxed on who they hire.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was just a call, asking if I wanted the job.

Front End Web Developer Interview

Front End Web Developer

Interviewed at Ancestry.com

Interview Details – The interview process was very thorough. I had to complete a coding assessment first. Once I passed that, there was a physical interview with the team. They were very detailed and even critical. I could tell this was a team looking for the very best candidates.

Interview Question – I don't remember specific questions, but they were very in-depth questions about my coding skills.   Answer Question

North American Controller Interview

North American Controller
Provo, UT

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ancestry.com in May 2013.

Interview Details – Job posting was online and allowed you to apply directly to company HR department. Contacted 15 days after completion by HR with a pre-screen interview. Pre-screen was general questions regarding experience, interest in position and expectations. Contacted 5 days later by Corporate Controller for 1:1 phone interview which lasted approximately an hour. Interview questions centered around experience in accounting, willingness to stay for an extended period, expectations for career path and salary / benefit expectations.

Interview Question – Willingness to stay for extended period (5-7 years). Seemed unexpected for someone with 11 years of experience and those types of questions are loaded as the respondent feels obligated to agree.   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

Customer Service Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Ancestry.com.

Interview Details – Submit your resume and fill out a brief application. Brief phone interview (mostly just used to set up a time to meet face to face). One and one interview with one of the call floor managers.

Once you are hired you go through a three week training period (one week of which is on-the-job training). Nice to ease in but honestly we could go through it in much less time.

Interview Question – How would you handle a difficult or upset client on the phone?   View Answer

Customer Solutions Associate Interview

Customer Solutions Associate

I interviewed at Ancestry.com in August 2013.

Interview Details – Excellent process. Your have to apply then the screen you and then on the phone go over your application. There is a typing assessment. They asked a lot of questions and examples in the in person interview!

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ancestry.com in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, and got an email a few weeks later asking to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was a basic interview, with some technical computer-science related questions (though no written code). They wanted you to know about the programming languages that you claimed to know, especially how they worked behind the scenes.

After the interview, got an email from the recruiter to set up an on-site interview in San Francisco. I was the only one there. In terms of company culture, the place really feels "Facebook-esque". There's a lot of free space and free food, and the dress code is casual. It's definitely a laid-back internet company.

There was an hour long coding challenge, and then a few interviews with different team leads. I received an offer within a week - they were very fast.

Interview Question – Coding challenge (protected by an NDA).   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The compensation was decent, but I chose to work for a startup that gave me slightly less in exchange for reaching more things.

They did ask me what my desired salary was, right before they made me an offer. Keep in mind that this is important, and you should ask a number that would make you comfortable without seeming overzealous.

Worked for Ancestry.com? Contribute to the Community!