Ancestry.com Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry.com (Provo, UT) in August 2015.

Interview

I had a basic introductory phone interview, then they had me do an unreasonably large programming exercise. I worked on it for an entire weekend, producing over 1500 lines of code, and it still didn't cover all of the functionality that was required. Not wanting to waste another weekend on the project, I turned in what I had. Keep in mind that this is first-level screening, before I even talked to anyone in person. I've interviewed with multiple large companies in the past, and I've never had such a large and time consuming project thrown at me as part of an interview. If they have this little respect for a person's time during the interview process, I would hate to see how they treat actual employees.

Interview Questions

• Create a RESTful web service supporting CRUD operations with unit and integration testing   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry.com in July 2015.

Interview

First it was telephonic followed by face to face. Had couple of rounds but enjoyed conversation with the team. When I walked around the office, It gave me good feeling that I will like working here. Also they were friendly and smiling throughout.

Interview Questions

• Couple of scenarios based interview back to back.   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry.com (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone screen went well - basic questions to determine if background and experience was legit. Interview that followed phone screen was on site. Very nice SF offices. Extremely informal atmosphere. Interviewed by the team, two potential colleagues and the hiring manager; one at a time. They didn't seem to have a set group of questions. In fact they encouraged me to ask them questions. Which was a little odd - but OK. The interview flowed more like a conversation than an interview. Final meeting with hiring manager was a bit rushed - but as she darted out the door to an appt. she said the next step for me would be an interview with the folks in Utah. Based on that, I assumed she meant that I would be making it to the next round. That didn't happen though. The following week, having not heard from them - I reached out to the corp recruiter and heard that they went with another candidate. Sort of confusing, to be honest. No reasons were given, and I didn't bother to ask.

Interview Questions

• Some random questions about my familiarity with technology and experience.   Answer Question

Vice President Marketing Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Ancestry.com (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with hiring manager and series of eight interviews with peers and junior members of the team. However no opportunity to meet hiring manager or senior level team in person. Although job was posted at a VP level the resources and access to C suite seemed to position the role as a tactical function. Also the organization was not set up to allow effective execution and the interview did not allow sufficient access to leadership to assess openess to alignment function to allow for strategic marketing and communications.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry.com (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me to have an interview. The first step of the interview was to talk with the senior director (my eventual supervisor). The interview started with him giving me an overview of what ancestry.com does. Next we delved into my dissertation research and giving him excepts about how my research can benefit the company. Next we talked about the what big and complex data sets I used and how I handled them. The 2nd round was a coding round. This was very different from what I have encountered. The interviewer emailed me a question paper (1 problem) and called to clarify if I had any questions. The aim was to write a piece of code with an hour and email him back the code with test cases. Next they flew me over to SF. There I was scheduled to have 5 rounds of interviews out of which 1 person did not appear. With the other 4 I mainly talked about my research and some "tricky" DM/ML questions. I was informed that I will have 1 more round of telephonic screen with the person whom I was scheduled to have an onsite interview. The last TPS was again a heavy coding interview (google docs) where I was made to solve 2 questions.

Interview Questions

• Coding round: Java String manipulation. DM/ML questions: a few about ensemble methods. A few about various classifiers and my knowledge about how and where to use various techniques 3rd coding: Solving a maze. Finding shortest path.   1 Answer

Senior Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ancestry.com (Provo, UT).

Interview

I applied for the job online on their website, and a few days later i received an email with a skill assessment project. It was a form landing page which was pretty boring and not exciting at all to work on, but was meant to just show how knowledgeable you were with RWD and your Javascript skills. once I finished that and completed it in time I sent it back on a Wednesday and within a few hours I got a response back that they will be reviewing it and then setting up an in person interview. I didn't hear back from them and once Friday came by I decided to follow up with them and emailed them and about an hour later I received an interview email which was setup for the next week and that the project was well done and met their standards. I went in for the in person interview and the hiring manager greeted me and then lead me to a conference room where 2 other people were waiting and a 3rd on the phone. They asked typical questions about my experience and background, then they started to go over my submitted project. but then they told me that there were extra criteria that they on purpose had left out of the required criteria that they sent over to. They started to tell me that I was supposed to have optimized the page to be SEO friendly, and that there were hidden layers in the design Photoshop file they sent with better more high quality images to use for the design. They were super unprofessional and started to go over every line of code almost to the point where they said that I had an extra z-index CSS rule and that it was not needed. Seriously! who cares if there was one extra z-index CSS rule in the whole project. The interview went on for about an hour an half of them basically talking up their egos and making it sound like no one could be even close to being good enough to work there.

Interview Questions

• How would you optimize the images used on a site?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Interview

A phone call requesting an interview, attempts at getting in contact only yielded straight-to-voicemail opportunities, no replies to emails, five months of radio silence, only to receive an automated no-reply email saying they had found someone else. I had completely forgotten I had even applied. I'm convinced companies that deal in this manner aren't worth anyone's time.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry.com (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The Ancestry.com at SF has great environment and nice view from the building. After checked in, I was brought into a conference room. Then hiring manager told me there would be two engineers would like to chat with me. They came into the room and had one on one interview. Just normal interview questions for software engineer position

Interview Questions

• I wasn't not able release the interview questions. But those questions were very basic programming question, which essentially test to see if you have enough background knowledge in fundamental programming. They also asked my future plan and other personal information. The interview went smoothly and allowed you to know more about the company.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Ancestry.com in February 2015.

Interview

Got reached out by the hiring manager directly because of internal referral. It only takes about 2 weeks from first phone interview to final decision. The interview went well, was asked about several basic algorithm stuff.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate much.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ancestry.com (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a call from a recruiter pretty quickly. She was very nice and personable. She thought I was qualified for the position snd told me she would speak to the hiring manager and get back to me to set up a time to come in for sn in person interview. That was the last time j heard from her she never called back. I left 3 messages but she never returned my call. Interesting enough a year prior I had the same experience. I had a really good interview with the recruiter, told I was going to get passed on and then nothing. I've worked at quite a few well known companies in SF and San Jose and have never experienced this kind of unprofessionalism. Not a place that I would consider applying to again.

Interview Questions

• If I'm comfortable doing tactical work (not strategic)?   Answer Question