Ancestry.com Interview Questions

Updated Sep 29, 2014
Updated Sep 29, 2014

Senior Manager, Marketing Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Ancestry.com.

Phone screen, couple other calls (strangely none with the elusive hiring manager) then full day of interviews. Showed up and waited for 15 minutes because the receptionist was both absent and unaware I was coming that day.

The in person interviews consisted of some general behavioral questions then a case question. The hiring manager wasn't in the office that day and was supposed to do a video interview but they couldn't get the system to work, so just skipped that one. Why they would schedule in-person interviews for a day when the hiring manager wasn't going to be in the office is beyond my comprehension.

I later had a follow up with the hiring manager and one other person. They never bothered to follow up, even after a couple thank-you emails and a later touch base email. Overall I can say it was a pretty negative experience.

Interview Questions
    • The case question was like something out of b school strategy class. Not surprisingly the guy who asked it was a former consultant.   Answer Question

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ancestry.com in July 2014.

I found out about the job through someone associated with the company. I then applied online and was emailed shortly after for a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes and at the end, I was asked to come in for an interview. The interview was 2 hours long. It was broken down into 3 interviews (30 mins, 30 mins, and an hour) with one person in each interview.

Business Intelligence Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ancestry.com in June 2014.

Communicated via email with hiring manager to setup interviews. Interviewed for 1 1/2 hours in 3 successive parts. Focused on attitude and personality, technical specifications, and general feeling of how I'd fit in with the team.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ancestry.com.

There was the typical hiring process here. It only included 1 interview, with 2 different managers at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • There really was not any difficult questions asked, they are pretty relaxed on who they hire.   Answer Question
    It was just a call, asking if I wanted the job.

Front End Web Developer Interview

The interview process was very thorough. I had to complete a coding assessment first. Once I passed that, there was a physical interview with the team. They were very detailed and even critical. I could tell this was a team looking for the very best candidates.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember specific questions, but they were very in-depth questions about my coding skills.   Answer Question

UI Developer (Archives.com, Part of Ancestry) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ancestry.com in November 2013.

Took two weeks. Applied online and got a call from HR to take a coding challenge. It took quite a bit of time (8 hours). Got a call after submitting the code for a phone screen, and then in-person interview. The whole engineering team interviewed. They did not ask many questions regarding the coding challenge ( I was surprised). They asked lot of Javascript technical questions, I answered most of them except for one or two. On the projector they brought up the company site I was working for and asked lot of questions about the company and regarding my contribution.

After that I never heard back from them. They didn't even have courtesy to send a response. I do not like to work for that kind of a company even if I get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Coding challenge 1: Build a nav bar, and a form which takes a input and dynamically calculating alerts and displaying on the nav item. Concept: set a cookie and get a cookie.

Coding Challenge 2: built a plugin similar to JQuery light box.
        Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ancestry.com.

Submit your resume and fill out a brief application. Brief phone interview (mostly just used to set up a time to meet face to face). One and one interview with one of the call floor managers.

Once you are hired you go through a three week training period (one week of which is on-the-job training). Nice to ease in but honestly we could go through it in much less time.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a difficult or upset client on the phone?   View Answer

Customer Solutions Associate Interview

interviewed at Ancestry.com in August 2013.

Excellent process. Your have to apply then the screen you and then on the phone go over your application. There is a typing assessment. They asked a lot of questions and examples in the in person interview!

North American Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ancestry.com in May 2013.

Job posting was online and allowed you to apply directly to company HR department. Contacted 15 days after completion by HR with a pre-screen interview. Pre-screen was general questions regarding experience, interest in position and expectations. Contacted 5 days later by Corporate Controller for 1:1 phone interview which lasted approximately an hour. Interview questions centered around experience in accounting, willingness to stay for an extended period, expectations for career path and salary / benefit expectations.

Interview Questions
    • Willingness to stay for extended period (5-7 years). Seemed unexpected for someone with 11 years of experience and those types of questions are loaded as the respondent feels obligated to agree.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ancestry.com.

Started with a phone screen from HR. Super easy. Next was a phone interview w/ hiring manager - nothing too difficult, he just described the job and asked questions about my resume and work history. Next were in-house interviews with the hiring manager and 2 peers. not tough

Interview Questions
    • If you needed to find out how many barbers there are in the US, how would you get that information?   View Answers (2)
    Offered exactly what my current employer was paying. I asked for about 10% more, they counted w/ 5% and said that was their final offer.