Ancestry.com Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Aug 16, 2015

2.9

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry.com (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone screen went well - basic questions to determine if background and experience was legit. Interview that followed phone screen was on site. Very nice SF offices. Extremely informal atmosphere. Interviewed by the team, two potential colleagues and the hiring manager; one at a time. They didn't seem to have a set group of questions. In fact they encouraged me to ask them questions. Which was a little odd - but OK. The interview flowed more like a conversation than an interview. Final meeting with hiring manager was a bit rushed - but as she darted out the door to an appt. she said the next step for me would be an interview with the folks in Utah. Based on that, I assumed she meant that I would be making it to the next round. That didn't happen though. The following week, having not heard from them - I reached out to the corp recruiter and heard that they went with another candidate. Sort of confusing, to be honest. No reasons were given, and I didn't bother to ask.

Interview Questions

• Some random questions about my familiarity with technology and experience.   Answer Question

Vice President Marketing Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Ancestry.com (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with hiring manager and series of eight interviews with peers and junior members of the team. However no opportunity to meet hiring manager or senior level team in person. Although job was posted at a VP level the resources and access to C suite seemed to position the role as a tactical function. Also the organization was not set up to allow effective execution and the interview did not allow sufficient access to leadership to assess openess to alignment function to allow for strategic marketing and communications.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry.com (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me to have an interview. The first step of the interview was to talk with the senior director (my eventual supervisor). The interview started with him giving me an overview of what ancestry.com does. Next we delved into my dissertation research and giving him excepts about how my research can benefit the company. Next we talked about the what big and complex data sets I used and how I handled them. The 2nd round was a coding round. This was very different from what I have encountered. The interviewer emailed me a question paper (1 problem) and called to clarify if I had any questions. The aim was to write a piece of code with an hour and email him back the code with test cases. Next they flew me over to SF. There I was scheduled to have 5 rounds of interviews out of which 1 person did not appear. With the other 4 I mainly talked about my research and some "tricky" DM/ML questions. I was informed that I will have 1 more round of telephonic screen with the person whom I was scheduled to have an onsite interview. The last TPS was again a heavy coding interview (google docs) where I was made to solve 2 questions.

Interview Questions

• Coding round: Java String manipulation. DM/ML questions: a few about ensemble methods. A few about various classifiers and my knowledge about how and where to use various techniques 3rd coding: Solving a maze. Finding shortest path.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry.com (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The Ancestry.com at SF has great environment and nice view from the building. After checked in, I was brought into a conference room. Then hiring manager told me there would be two engineers would like to chat with me. They came into the room and had one on one interview. Just normal interview questions for software engineer position

Interview Questions

• I wasn't not able release the interview questions. But those questions were very basic programming question, which essentially test to see if you have enough background knowledge in fundamental programming. They also asked my future plan and other personal information. The interview went smoothly and allowed you to know more about the company.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ancestry.com (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a call from a recruiter pretty quickly. She was very nice and personable. She thought I was qualified for the position snd told me she would speak to the hiring manager and get back to me to set up a time to come in for sn in person interview. That was the last time j heard from her she never called back. I left 3 messages but she never returned my call. Interesting enough a year prior I had the same experience. I had a really good interview with the recruiter, told I was going to get passed on and then nothing. I've worked at quite a few well known companies in SF and San Jose and have never experienced this kind of unprofessionalism. Not a place that I would consider applying to again.

Interview Questions

• If I'm comfortable doing tactical work (not strategic)?   Answer Question

Senior Manager, Marketing Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Ancestry.com (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Phone screen, couple other calls (strangely none with the elusive hiring manager) then full day of interviews. Showed up and waited for 15 minutes because the receptionist was both absent and unaware I was coming that day. The in person interviews consisted of some general behavioral questions then a case question. The hiring manager wasn't in the office that day and was supposed to do a video interview but they couldn't get the system to work, so just skipped that one. Why they would schedule in-person interviews for a day when the hiring manager wasn't going to be in the office is beyond my comprehension. I later had a follow up with the hiring manager and one other person. They never bothered to follow up, even after a couple thank-you emails and a later touch base email. Overall I can say it was a pretty negative experience.

Interview Questions

• The case question was like something out of b school strategy class. Not surprisingly the guy who asked it was a former consultant.   Answer Question

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry.com (San Francisco, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

I found out about the job through someone associated with the company. I then applied online and was emailed shortly after for a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes and at the end, I was asked to come in for an interview. The interview was 2 hours long. It was broken down into 3 interviews (30 mins, 30 mins, and an hour) with one person in each interview.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry.com (San Francisco, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Applied online, and got an email a few weeks later asking to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was a basic interview, with some technical computer-science related questions (though no written code). They wanted you to know about the programming languages that you claimed to know, especially how they worked behind the scenes. After the interview, got an email from the recruiter to set up an on-site interview in San Francisco. I was the only one there. In terms of company culture, the place really feels "Facebook-esque". There's a lot of free space and free food, and the dress code is casual. It's definitely a laid-back internet company. There was an hour long coding challenge, and then a few interviews with different team leads. I received an offer within a week - they were very fast.

Interview Questions

The compensation was decent, but I chose to work for a startup that gave me slightly less in exchange for reaching more things. They did ask me what my desired salary was, right before they made me an offer. Keep in mind that this is important, and you should ask a number that would make you comfortable without seeming overzealous.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Ancestry.com (San Francisco, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied online, withing two days received a phone interview from a recruiter. She asked me basic questions pertaining to availability, current classes, what my favorite class was, etc.

Interview Questions

• What are the concepts associated with Object Oriented Programming   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ancestry.com (San Francisco, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

First round was a phone interview where the focus was pretty much on Web Development, Design Patterns, MVC, SOA and best practices. Next day received an invite for an In-Person interview to meet their team. The in person interview was mostly based on a skills test, which is to build a web project for a requirement. Although I could not complete the requirement to the full, I was able to justify my approach and was able to explain intent behind the code that I wrote. They were definitely not interested in UI nor were they interested in seeing you complete the whole requirement. Their focus was purely on your thinking abilities and the way you would approach a given problem. They strongly believe in AGILE development practices and anything you say about AGILE must be accurate and right.

Interview Questions

• what is Behavior Driven Development, how is it different from TDD and would you prefer it? and why?   Answer Question