Ancestry.com Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

3.1

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Manager, Marketing Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Ancestry.com.

Phone screen, couple other calls (strangely none with the elusive hiring manager) then full day of interviews. Showed up and waited for 15 minutes because the receptionist was both absent and unaware I was coming that day.

The in person interviews consisted of some general behavioral questions then a case question. The hiring manager wasn't in the office that day and was supposed to do a video interview but they couldn't get the system to work, so just skipped that one. Why they would schedule in-person interviews for a day when the hiring manager wasn't going to be in the office is beyond my comprehension.

I later had a follow up with the hiring manager and one other person. They never bothered to follow up, even after a couple thank-you emails and a later touch base email. Overall I can say it was a pretty negative experience.

Interview Questions
    • The case question was like something out of b school strategy class. Not surprisingly the guy who asked it was a former consultant.   Answer Question

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ancestry.com in July 2014.

I found out about the job through someone associated with the company. I then applied online and was emailed shortly after for a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes and at the end, I was asked to come in for an interview. The interview was 2 hours long. It was broken down into 3 interviews (30 mins, 30 mins, and an hour) with one person in each interview.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ancestry.com in March 2013.

Applied online, and got an email a few weeks later asking to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was a basic interview, with some technical computer-science related questions (though no written code). They wanted you to know about the programming languages that you claimed to know, especially how they worked behind the scenes.

After the interview, got an email from the recruiter to set up an on-site interview in San Francisco. I was the only one there. In terms of company culture, the place really feels "Facebook-esque". There's a lot of free space and free food, and the dress code is casual. It's definitely a laid-back internet company.

There was an hour long coding challenge, and then a few interviews with different team leads. I received an offer within a week - they were very fast.

Interview Questions

The compensation was decent, but I chose to work for a startup that gave me slightly less in exchange for reaching more things.

They did ask me what my desired salary was, right before they made me an offer. Keep in mind that this is important, and you should ask a number that would make you comfortable without seeming overzealous.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ancestry.com in October 2012.

Applied online, withing two days received a phone interview from a recruiter. She asked me basic questions pertaining to availability, current classes, what my favorite class was, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What are the concepts associated with Object Oriented Programming   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ancestry.com in July 2012.

First round was a phone interview where the focus was pretty much on Web Development, Design Patterns, MVC, SOA and best practices.

Next day received an invite for an In-Person interview to meet their team. The in person interview was mostly based on a skills test, which is to build a web project for a requirement. Although I could not complete the requirement to the full, I was able to justify my approach and was able to explain intent behind the code that I wrote. They were definitely not interested in UI nor were they interested in seeing you complete the whole requirement. Their focus was purely on your thinking abilities and the way you would approach a given problem.

They strongly believe in AGILE development practices and anything you say about AGILE must be accurate and right.

Interview Questions
    • what is Behavior Driven Development, how is it different from TDD and would you prefer it? and why?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ancestry.com in June 2012.

Phone interview where we talked a bit about the company and some of the projects I have done. A few days after phone interview I was called in for a 1:1. The in person interview is all about a coding exercise where you have 2 hours to build an application using ASP.NET (WebForms or MVC, your choice). You have Internet access so you can search, download code, etc. If you have some code accessible online, you have a leg up. After the 2 hours you show the interviewers (there were 3 in my interview) what you have done and explain your choices. Word of advice, pick MVC (even if you have way more experience with WebForms and it makes more sense given the scope and time limit of the problem), they didn't seem to be interested in UI, so I suspect staying on the back or middle tiers may be the way to go. It isn't expected that you finish the app in 2 hours, just find something to impress them with and be ready to explain how you would have done things if you can't finish.

Interview Questions
    • Create an application for a user survey with ASP.NET WebForms or MVC.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ancestry.com in January 2010.

after a phonescreen I was invited for an onsite interview, as the position in San Francisco office is for the engineer of Content Management System for their marketing team, not in their core search businesss, and it also requires engineers to learn .NET and some particular Content Management System Framework which doesn't seem like a position for self-development to me, I didn't take it seriously in the hopes of more interview experience.

the interview take half a day, I was asked to use dynamic programming for the basic question of Fibonnaci, which made me very disappointed, and they seems to be very picky even for this boring position.