Ancestry.com Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.7

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Provo, UT
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Ancestry.com in June 2012.

Interview was thorough and on point with a 3 hour programming test with a reasonable example that progresses from a simple solution through multiple object oriented concepts. Questions focused mostly on C# and object oriented concepts with some emphasis on SOLID principles. Other questions focused on SQL and database design.

Interview Questions
  • What is the difference between an interface and an abstract class and where and why would you use them?   Answer Question
Simple but not very straightforward.

Other Interview Reviews for Ancestry.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orem, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orem, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ancestry.com in August 2012.

I was initially contacted by group manager who was doing the hiring. The group was made up of 10-12 middleware C# application developers/testers. I was referred to the manager by a good friend so he simply set up a time to go out to lunch with a few members of the team and the manager. A few days after the lunch they brought me in for the actual interview which was a 3-4 hour block of time. This consisted of a 2 hour programming test and then a couple of other individual 2 person interviews which was supposed to be ended by interviewing with the manager's boss. The manager's boss was out of the office though and so that part of the interview didn't happen.

Interview Questions
    • They are really big into Test Driven Development and Behavior Driven Development even though management doesn't push it as hard as it used to. (Apparently this group is still pretty big into that process.) I'm a big advocate of that process so it wasn't too hard for me but they did ask what S.O.L.I.D. stands for and although I have read all of Robert Martin's seminal papers I have never memorized the actual acronym.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Ancestry.com in June 2012.

Phone interview where we talked a bit about the company and some of the projects I have done. A few days after phone interview I was called in for a 1:1. The in person interview is all about a coding exercise where you have 2 hours to build an application using ASP.NET (WebForms or MVC, your choice). You have Internet access so you can search, download code, etc. If you have some code accessible online, you have a leg up. After the 2 hours you show the interviewers (there were 3 in my interview) what you have done and explain your choices. Word of advice, pick MVC (even if you have way more experience with WebForms and it makes more sense given the scope and time limit of the problem), they didn't seem to be interested in UI, so I suspect staying on the back or middle tiers may be the way to go. It isn't expected that you finish the app in 2 hours, just find something to impress them with and be ready to explain how you would have done things if you can't finish.

Interview Questions
    • Create an application for a user survey with ASP.NET WebForms or MVC.   Answer Question

Worked for Ancestry.com? Contribute to the Community!