Anheuser-Busch Group Manager Interview Questions

3.5

Group Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Anheuser-Busch (Merrimack, NH) in January 2011.

Interview

There were many steps in the interview process. First, I had to submit an application on their website. Next, there was a 30-minute phone interview with an HR representative. After that, they scheduled a more in-depth phone interview. Next, I spent a day on-site completing a series of 2-person behavioral interviews, a mathematical/problem-solving skills test, a multiple-choice personality test, and then a 3-part roleplay over the phone. From my understanding, the events that I completed in the all-day visit sometimes occur over a series of on-site visits.

The first phone interview was pretty basic and the HR representative asked about my work/education experience. The second phone interview was behavioral and also involved questions about my past experience. The behavioral interviews were fairly typical and questions were mostly structured in the "Tell me a time..." format. Be sure to have questions to ask at the end of your interviews! The interviewers seemed friendly, proud of their work, and somewhat laidback. At the same time, it did seem like the people had issues finding a work/life balance.

For the first part of the role play, I had to create a production schedule for the day. The second part simulated a meeting in which I needed to address a difficult employee that transferred to my factory and was not willing to help other employees because he felt the tasks (which were actually included in his job description) were below his position as a mechanic. The third part of the role play required me to read email memos and decide what information I did/did not want to share with 2 of my employees in a meeting and also involved mediation/conflict resolution involving issues between their two departments. The role play was my least favorite part of the interview process and I felt it was somewhat awkward and forced.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to defend a decision you made.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Anheuser-Busch

Group Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Anheuser-Busch (Baldwinsville, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

I applied for the position online and was contacted a few days later to have an group/panel interview and complete a management/skills test and a math test the next week. After two weeks i was contacted to have another Panel interview and complete a over the phone management test.

The first panel interview was with lower level management and area managers. It was a very standard interview that included ~8-10 "tell me about a time" questions and the give me your history questions. Very basic, easy and strait forward. The mathematical test included basic math and was mainly related to pricing, and scheduling/orders. There were also a few questions that involved the use of tables/graphs and extracting relevant information from them. The personality test assessed work styles, values, etc.

The Second interview was with plant upper management was a very "get to know you" type informal interview with a few "tell me about a time" questions. For the first part of the role play, I had to create a production schedule for the day. The second part simulated a meeting in which I needed to address a difficult employee that transferred to my factory and was not willing to help other employees because he felt the tasks (which were actually included in his job description) were below his position as a mechanic. The third part of the role play required me to read email memos and decide what information I did/did not want to share with 2 of my employees in a meeting and also involved mediation/conflict resolution involving issues between their two departments.

Overall a great process for really knowing the applicant involving testing, interviewing and management conflict resolution. The phone interview was very awkward (especially trying to do conflict resolution over a phone meeting) at times and it was very obvious what the point was, and once complete it was obvious what you did right and did wrong.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you took additional responsibilities without being asked.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time that you had to complete a difficult task that you didn't know how to approach.   Answer Question

Group Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Anheuser-Busch in March 2011.

Interview

Be warned that the interview process is very lengthy and somewhat repetitive.
    You will meet or speak with multiple levels of management to ensure that the company and position is a good fit for both parties.
    My personal interview process consisted of a phone screening, on site management skill/role play assessment, panel interview, additional phone interview.
    The management assessment and math skills test are both quick and easy.
    The role is slightly more challenging and will be difficult for someone with weak interpersonal skills. They do make it pretty obvious when you do something wrong during the role play.
    All face to face interviews are pretty standard and consist of "tell me a time when..." style questions.
    They will only progress you through these steps if you are a contender for the position so stay positive and make sure to FOLLOW UP all interviews with thank you emails.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you were faced with a difficult problem that you didnt know start solving.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you saw someone being treated unfairly, how did you respond?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much room for negotiation. Most people they are hiring are college grads and giving the high level of competition they really don't need to negotiate.

Group Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Anheuser-Busch.

Interview

First interview asked for team leadership experience and situational questions about how you handled the people around you.

Second interview was similar, just more in depth about teamwork. Then two "tests" followed about time planning/management/scheduling.

Interview Questions

• The pseudo-tests they had were difficult. Dealt with different length processes and fitting them together to make the most efficient use of the time provided.   Answer Question

Disapproved of the location

Group Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Anheuser-Busch.

Interview

Quite challenging but a great process. Lots of tell me about yourself questions.

Group Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Anheuser-Busch (Van Nuys, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Originally I had applied to a random position I had qualified for within AB. Several months later I was contacted by HR and was selected to apply for the Group Manager position. I re-submit my application and was approved to continue the hiring process.

The first 3 stages of the hiring process were fast, transparent, and very telling. The first step was to complete a series of online questioners designed to weed out candidates that were not qualified. Simple management style questions to gauge your personality and experience with different situations.

I successfully passed that phase and moved on to yet another online assessment where I had to answer more business minded questions demonstrating my basic math, finance, and process flow abilities. The first type of question asks about your experiences at work. The second type of question asks you to solve typical work problems using information in tables, charts and graphs. The third type of question describes work situations and possible action you could take.

After passing this step, I scheduled an on-site interview with the Operations Manager at the brewery. I had scheduled the interview for early in the morning and was directed to the security office where I was instructed on where to go. It seemed like a very close-knit community when stepping foot onto the AB facility, as it seems everyone knows everyone else.

After sitting in the lobby for quite some time, everyone was ready to begin the interview, but there had been some big brewery emergency and my interview had been cut down from 3 people to 1 person. I didn't mind the one-on-one experience, but I feel it had held me back from answering more of a wide array of questions, and getting to ask different people about different elements of their job and operational function. Regardless, I felt it went very well, and I proceeded to await further communication from the HR manager.

I successfully passed the interview step and was then assigned to conduct another series of tests and TAP assessments - developing a Brewing Schedule, meeting with an employee, and meeting with a team (of two other people). I'd have to say the brewing schedule will trip anyone up if you're not methodical about it or cannot pinpoint your mistakes. The employees are easy to handle if you avoid confrontations, are assertive, and can manage the anger level.

I had passed that portion and the next step was to schedule a final interview with the Brewery GM and some other individuals. This group setting was very informal. They did not have a set list of those packet questions to ask so they just grilled me on my personality, experiences, contacts, desire to work, etc. Very informal, positive, and reassuring.

This entire process took about 1 month. Then the waiting game commenced. I have been waiting for a response regarding my progress for 2 months, and it was about 2 weeks short of the three month mark of total time from start to "finish" that I received an email letting me know I was still being considered and they were still interviewing candidates.

It's quite understandable that they have a lot of people to interview and schedules to balance, but a bit more transparency and honesty would be nice. But it turns out that's a bit far fetched. Anyway, still waiting on an answer, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd love to work here, but the waiting for a response to anything is absolutely agonizing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where the tensions were high and you had to handle a situation while respecting the others there.

Tell me about a time you had to prioritize an important task.

Answer Question

Group Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Anheuser-Busch (Van Nuys, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Step 1: Apply Online

Step 2: Received E-mail for online skills test.
    Very basic test covering basic mathematics, logic/reasoning, and least / most likely to do questions based on given scenario.

Step 3: Phone Screen Interview
    Typical phone screen. Test your fit in the position and company. Asks a lot of questions based on your resume and you must back it up with clear and precise examples as well as experience in skills related directly to the job. Ask you to rate yourself on various skills: excel, six sigma, PLC programming. TIP: Give very specific example of your work from previous experiences and elaborate.

Step 4: TAP
    Onsite telephone role play. They sit you in a room by yourself and give you packets of information to sort through and prepare for call in which you have to role play the imaginary scenario and character. CALL 1: Given a packet with various members of your team, skillset, and schedule. You boss calls you with an emergency and wants you to reassign your team members to take care of the issue, but also getting the daily schedule complete as well. CALL 2: Given emails and memos to sort through based on purchasing on new equipment or use funding on maintenance instead. Pick how you would like the money used and explain your reasoning to your coworker who is in accounting. You must present the facts from your given information to back up your reasoning. CALL 3: Three way call with two coworkers having issues working with each other and are starting to yell and bicker at each other; now the project is in danger of missing the deadline. They could not settle on how to move project forward, so as the boss you must choose. One of the callers would be offended, begin to insult the other caller and you must calm the tensions. Be specific with your decision, but also be assertive in having the confidence in them, so they would continue working together. TIP: No way to really prepare as it TAP was uncommon to me. Just play the role, don't stress, and have fun.

Step 5: Final Interview
    Onsite interview with same questions from the phone screen with Brewery Manager, Brew Master, and HR Person. TIP: Tell them why you want to work for Anheuser. That reason is very important to them.

Step 6: Loss for words
    I applied for one position and was sure I got it; however, HR called and would like to have me interview for Group Manager instead. I was floored, but understood and felt it was a great opportunity. They told me they had to get word back from corporate and should take 3 days.

Step 7: Emotionally Drained
    Thought I got the position, but 1 month passed before I got an email say they actually wanted to interview me again.

Step 8: Final Interview: Part 2
    Same questions as previous interview, but had to convince them you want this job. TIP: Don't be afraid to tell them why you want this job.

Step 9: Offer
    Got an offer in the email a few days later stating an offer was in the mail. Pending drug and background check, I should be in.

Overall Feelings:
    Process took a little over 4 months. It is a long and emotionally draining process, but AB knows who they want and want to choose the right person, so that is not only understandable, but beneficial to their future hires.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not negotiated because it was fair.

Group Manager Interview

Application

interviewed at Anheuser-Busch in October 2012.

Interview

The process was extremely grueling, but it is refreshing to see a company that is so concerned about hiring the right person. First came a notification by the HR rep about wanting a phone screen. This was mostly background questions (education, social affiliations etc). I was notified about a week later of another phone screen with their operations manager. This was very similar to the first with more discussion of job history and experiences. After that came a third phone screen with the plant and production managers which was more structured and included a handful of 'tell me a time' type of questions.

A couple weeks later I was invited on site and had a 2 on 1 interview with the HR/plant manager. After that I took a math test and a personality test. The math was high school level arithmetic and dealt primarily with extracting important information from graphs/charts. The personality test was 100 situational questions.

After passing those, the following day I took a test called the TAP (no clue what it stands for and the people there don't know either). It was 3.5 hours of pure torture. Reading 3 different packets and then having 3 separate 15 minute phone conversations with people pretending to be your boss (scenario 1 where you develope a daily production schedule) and employees on your crew (scenario's 2 and 3 where you have to encourage teamwork with a disgruntled mechanic and go over a series of memo's with 2 employees in a conference call skit). Very awkward but I was notified on my way home that I had passed.

A couple of days later I had 2 last phone screens. The first was with corporate people and the second was actually with the CEO of the MCC. The last interview was the most intense. He was very, very proficient at interviewing in comparison to the others and really challenged me to state my best case for why I should have the job.

An hour or so after that a contingent offer was made upon passing a background and drug screen. I accepted the job and am still in the contingency phase until passing these last tests. Overall a very good experience!

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time where you had a conflict with a co-worker and how you handled it?"   Answer Question

Group Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Anheuser-Busch in January 2008.

Interview

Interview with a number of company leaders to ensure position is a good fit. Must pass a technical/skills test and a basic math test.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral based questions were the most common. "Tell me about a time when you had to implement change."   Answer Question

Group Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Anheuser-Busch (Merrimack, NH) in April 2008.

Interview

Long and cumbersum. They really put people through a lot, as they should. There were lots of behavioral based interviews, assessments, and skill tests.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you saw someone being treated disrespectfully. How did you respond?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when your work group fell short of its goals.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little room to negotiate.