Anheuser-Busch

Updated Nov 13, 2014
Updated Nov 13, 2014

3.4

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Anheuser-Busch in January 2009.

3 interviews total. Extensive backround check. Personality test with situational questions. Laid back company culture but uptight interviews. Advice would be to prepare for "Name a time when" questions. Drug tests are mandatory.

No negotiation

Global Management Trainee Program Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Anheuser-Busch in December 2009.

There are six stages to the selection process:
    1. CV-screening
    Good academics results and proof of initiative wrt extracurricular activities are essential here.
    2. Online test on abstract reasoning skills & cultural fit
    As the description indicates this stage involves a lot of reasoning and personality tests. You first have to fill in some motivational boxes, e.g. why you want to join AB Inbev. Then there is a timed part (90 minutes) in which your personality is mapped and IQ/intelligence is tested by means of multiple choice questions.
    3. Video interview
    If all this goes well you are invited for a video interview (skype was used) and you're asked typical interview questions (e.g. what are your strengths, weaknesses, disappointments, motivation for life changing decisions etc.). From feedback I derived that it is important to be quick on your feet, and be prepared. These types of questions are pretty standard so look them up. It is also quite essential that you know the company itself, so browse the website thoroughly.
    4. First assessment day
    All over Europe assessment days (10 in total) are held where you are expected to prepare a business case in 20 minutes and then discuss it in group, coming to a consensus and a final decision. The key to being successful here is being fast, you don't get time to read everything so be selective. I was presented with a business case in which you had to pick a project to use a budget for. There wasn't a lot of creativity involved, the main distinguishing features were taking charge ("leading the meeting, keeping time") and being analytical, keep figures in your head. Sadly this is where the application process ended for me. After this stage only 40 applicants remained.
    5. AB Inbev day
    Another assessment day where approximately half/ a third is eliminated.
    6. Panel interview
    A panel interview at AB Inbev HQ with high ranking managers among which the CEO, Carlos Brito.

Overall perception:
    The selection is hard for "normal" master's degree (soon to be) graduates as myself. Most of the people present had internship/post master experience. However AB Inbev comes across as very professional and interesting to work for. The program is extremely selective, only 10-20 people are selected from a pool of a couple of thousand applicants, coming from all over Europe.

Interview Questions
    • What has been your biggest disappointment recently?   View Answer
    • Give an example of a situation where one of your weaknesses showed itself.   View Answer

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Anheuser-Busch in June 2010.

The whole process took a little over a month. I had a phone interview first. Then I went in and met with the managers of my department. then I came back to meet the 2 main bosses. Then I had to come back a third time with college transcripts, a drug test, a full background check. The interviews were very probing, a lot of "tell me a time when..."

Interview Questions
    I was given my offer and told I couldn' negotiate...rather strange.

Global Management Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Anheuser-Busch in September 2011.

First round interview was a group business simulation. Room was cut in half and presented a case. Had 30 minutes to plan, 10 minutes to speak. The goal here is to be the obvious leader. Not just the person who talks the loundest but someone who takes charge and offers solid advice and reasons. I was not this person and did not move on. 1:1 interview would have occurred the very next day.

Interview Questions
    • How would you implement two new beers into the current portfolio.   View Answer

Global Management Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Anheuser-Busch in October 2012.

I applied for this position through our campus recruiting service. I was sent an email soon after with links to a personality fit test and IQ test. Three days later I was sent an email inviting me to an on campus case interview. For the case interview, they sat me in a room and gave me a packet of information and told me that I had 30 min to come up with a solution and formulate an eight minute presentation to pitch to the interviewers in the next room. After the presentation the interviewers asked a couple questions and said that they would let me know the results of the interview by phone that night.

They called me that night and invited me to another on campus interview at 10:00 the next morning. This was a typical behavioral interview that lasted about 35 minutes. They notified me about 4 days later that I was invited to fly out to St. Louis for a group interview.

This group interview consisted of a business simulation where we were split into teams to make business decisions to try and win the competition. After the simulation, they took us to see (and take photos with) the famous Clydesdale horses. We then got to tour the facilities and browse the gift shop.

I was contacted by email later that week to say that I would be flown out to the final interview stage, the panel interview. This day they gave us a brewing tutorial and then took 6 candidates into a room to have a group interview with 6 of the top employees in the organization, including the North American Zone President. They asked individual questions and asked us to ask each other questions.

I was called 3 days later and informed that I was not being offered the job because they felt that I was not committed to the company in the long term.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Anheuser-Busch in November 2010.

You will have 1 interview with the branch manger and a DSM. they will ask you a bunch of questions of what you would do in certain situations.

There was none

Category Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Anheuser-Busch.

Go through Envision staffing services for initial phone interview, after that interview prepare to be barraged by behavioral/situational interview questions by a 3-4 person panel, and pretty much only those type of questions. Master the STAR technique: Situation Task Action & Response.

Interview Questions
    • paraphrased - Tell me about a time where you were faced with a hard situation in the work place. What actions did you take to resolve the situation and what was the result of those actions?   Answer Question

Marketing Communications Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Anheuser-Busch in August 2014.

I was very surprised by how unprofessional the HR process was at AB. I was notified by email that I'd been selected to interview and asked to select my availability from a list of dates. Despite repeatedly following up by email and phone, I didn't hear anything back about scheduling well past the last date listed as an option. For a while, I truly suspected the interview request wasn't real. After giving up, I finally got a reply, giving me a single scheduling option two days later.

Once I finally made it to the actual interview, it was more like what I would expect from a company of this size and caliber. The questions were very tough and it did seem like their efforts to convey just how much and how hard I'd be working were a little over the top, but nothing too extreme.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which your short term goals were incompatible with your long term goals and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Global Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Anheuser-Busch in October 2014.

I met them at our Career Fair and attended one of their info sessions. I applied online and they invited me in for an initial case interview. The case itself was almost impossible to nail. You work for a hypothetical company that currently produces 4 beers. They provide how much beer is produced each season and how much revenue each beer brings in. Then they give you another list of 8 beers with the same data, and ask you to choose two beers to implement into the current beer portfolio. They also tell you which beers appeal to which target audiences, and tell you what their competitors are doing. They also tell you to come up with a marketing strategy for your new beers. They ask you to do this in 30 minutes, and then give a 10 minute presentation of your plan.

This is pretty much impossible, but the idea is to focus on the key issues and make up the rest as you go. I was only able to get to a few of the important points in my presentation, but they invited me back anyway. They don't expect you to solve everything, they just want to see your thought process.

The second round interview the next day was a very laid-back behavioral interview. I thought it went well, but for some reason was not invited to St. Louis for the third round.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think Anheuser-Busch should do to improve our brand?   Answer Question

Weekender Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Anheuser-Busch in August 2013.

I have a friend who works there and he told me to apply for the Weekender Manager position. I had a little managerial experience but nothing in the distribution field, which is probably why I wasn't offered the job.

Interview process was pretty intense, and time consuming. Even though I wasn't offered the job it was a good experience in dealing with a long, multiple level interview. Here is an outline of the interview process:

1) 30-45 minute phone interview, asking all the normal questions, and going over your resume and qualifications.

2) If you pass the phone interview you have to go in to the plant to do a Math test, and then a test depending on the job you are applying for. The math test was about 15 questions and was simple percentage and scheduling type stuff; this part was timed (I think it was 20 minutes to do 15 questions). The other test I took was much longer, not timed, and asked situational questions. The majority of the questions would lay out a situation and ask you to select two answers 1) what you would MOST likely do in the situation, and 2) what would you LEAST likely do in the given situation. I felt like that test was two fold, partly seeing how you would manage a difficult situation, and partly a psych evaluation.

3) If you pass the basic skills test, they then invite you to the plant to do a structured interview. When I say structured I mean insanely structured; the interviewers each had packets and would literally rate you on a number scale as to how well you responded to their questions (very impersonal). I had two people interviewing me, one was the HR guy who I was in contact with through the entire process, and one was a senior manager at the plant. The questions were very generic and really let you pick how you wanted to answer them, overall no really surprising questions. At the end they ask you about 10 questions asking you to rank your own proficiency in certain skill areas, which is annoying because you don't want to come across as over-confident, but also want to let them know your strengths. During the interview the manager got called on his walkie talkie and had to leave temporarily, which was kind of strange but understandable, the plant is running all the time and I guess there was an issue.

4) After my interview I didn't get asked to continue to the next part, they said they had other candidates with years of managerial experience so I wasn't too surprised. I guess the next part in the process is another managerial assessment, where they give you mock situations and you have to plan a response. Apparently its pretty in depth and takes about 2 to 3 hours.

Not entirely sure about the next step in the process, but I think if you pass the mock situation part, they have one final interview where they offer you the job.

Interview Questions
    • When they asked me to rank my proficiency in electrical circuits I responded "very proficient". I guess one of the interviewers was skeptical that I was proficient and asked me "Ok, whats Ohm's Law?" Never thought I'd get that question applying for a managers position, but luckily I knew it.   View Answer