Ann Taylor

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Ann Taylor.

Interview Details – Phone interview with direct supervisor, in person interview with direct supervisor and phone interview with next level supervisor.

Negotiation Details – With my experience, I was offered slightly more than my current salary, so negotiation was not necessary.

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ann Taylor.

Interview Details – I reached out to a DM via linkedin, filled out the app online, took online assessment, had a phone conversation followed by a face to face interview with the DM, had a phone interview with another DM and had a final phone interview with the RVP. Received an offer the next day. Everyone was very professional, well spoken, and very passionate about their jobs.

Interview Question – Not a hard interview process. Had free flowing conversations with each company representative.

The one piece of advice that I can give, is really research the brand, make sure that you are up to date on what can currently be found in stores, and be able to speak to "WHY ANN"
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate because I was offered more than expected.

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ann Taylor in June 2013.

Interview Details – Was contacted by the recruiter within a week of applying online.We set time aside to discuss a bit about me and my career path further.Our scheduled conversation lasted about 35-40 mins.She was impressed and got me and interview with the DM the following week.I met with the DM and I nailed the interview,she told me that she was interested and to give her a call/email at the end of the week. Well, this was about 2 weeks ago.She contacted me the following monday after I had reached back out to the recruiter to see if there was still an interest. The DM stated that there was and we scheduled a time to talk. However, she didn't call me and later emailed me to reschedule. We talked the next day and she told me that she would like for me to interview with other store managers within the next 2 weeks to see if I would mesh well and get a better understanding of the brand. I was contacted to set up possible times that may work with the other store managers schedules...I have not yet confirmed nor declined the meeting. This process has taken over a month and has led me to keep my options open. I've gotten an array of other offers in the process and am very confused as to why I would have to interview further.

Northridge, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Ann Taylor in December 2010.

Interview Details – Received an email very quickly after submitting a resume/online application and online personality test for a phone interview with the regional recruiter. Had phone interview - took about 45 minutes. Was offered a 1 on 1 interview with the district manager, but I turned it down.

I was asked a lot of questions regarding fashion trends, how I dress personally, what I feel every woman absolutely MUST have in their closet. etc. etc. At the end of the interview she definitely explained to me that their selling culture at LOFT centered around high fashion knowledge.

Interviewing for a store manager position, I felt that I should have been asked more about my management skill set, rather than my knowledge of fashion trends. I definitely understand that that is clearly a focus for the company, but any good manager (in my opinion) has the ability to lead a team, regardless of what they are selling.

The recruiter that I interviewed with was extremely well spoken, and definitely knew her stuff. It was very professional, and organized. From the very beginning she explained exactly how the interview was going to work, and she stuck to that outline. It was obvious that she's conducted several interviews.

At the end of the interview she spent a good amount of time explaining the company, their goals, what their expectations are, how they go about achieving them, their management philosophy etc. etc. When she asked if I had any questions, I was at a complete loss to find one, seeing as how detailed she was towards the end of the interview. I had a very good grasp on what the company was looking for just from that initial phone interview, which is how I was able to determine that I wasn't going to be a good fit. I had a very good vibe from her towards the end, and she set up a 1 on 1 interview with the district manager for me, but being able to look in the mirror, and having such detailed information given to me, I knew that I would be wasting her time with another interview. I knew that I wasn't a fit based on the information that she gave me, which I actually appreciated very much. The worst thing is to be involved in a vague interview, then accept the position, and realize right off the bat that you had made a mistake. I love that everything was right out on the table from the very beginning.

Interview Questions

• If I were to ask you to give me 3 pieces that are on trend this current season that every woman must have, what would you tell me?   View Answer
  • What have you done to personally grow your business?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – After the phone interview it was apparent to me that although I felt my skill set and management abilities would have been useful at that company, I didn't think that I personally fit in with the extremely fashion conscious atmosphere they push there. I would be very uncomfortable in an environment that aggressively pushed current fashion and trend. I am more of a casual - look nice but don't over do it kind of person, and the regional recruiter made it abundantly clear that they had a very high expectation when it comes to high fashion knowledge, outfitting and staying ahead of fashion trends on a personal level.

Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ann Taylor in June 2010.

Interview Details – cramped in tiny room with district manager asking crazy questions

Interview Question – how would you rank yourself amongst your peers   Answer Question

Store Manager

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ann Taylor in February 2012.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by a recruiter via telephone who saw my resume online. We had about an hour-long conversation over the phone and I was able to gain a lot of information about the company structure and expectations.
The next step was a panel interview with two other Store Managers who were very well-spoken, enthusiastic and positive.
Lastly, I met with a District Manager from another market in person for a formal interview that lasted about 45 minutes. This meeting was nowhere near as inspiring as my other 2 interview steps, as the District Manager didn't seem to invested in filling the position being that it wasn't for a store in her market. Her lack of interest persuaded me to decline pursuing the process any further.

Interview Questions

• Tell me which is your favorite key performance indicator (metric) to measure and why.   Answer Question
  • How will you embrace the culture of Ann Taylor and use it to your advantage in your role?   Answer Question

Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ann Taylor in June 2009.

Interview Details – I reached out the district manager upon noting the job on a posting. She eventually returned my call, set up an interview, followed by an interview with the regional recruiter. I was then flown to interview with the regional manager. The next day I was offered the position.

Negotiation Details – They were not open to negotiating.

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Ann Taylor in April 2011.

Interview Details – I went to the interview thinking I was interviewing for a full-time management position, but was told there was none. They only had part-time sales associate positions.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Not enough money.

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Ann Taylor in March 2010.

Interview Details – I was contact and interview by another store manager( I'm applying for a store manager). I walked in and the sale associate ask me to fill out paper work( I played on line for store manager position which was open). the interviewer is the store manager who acts like typical higher up female boss who has attitude. we sat in the tiny office with the door cracked and all the people can hear our conversation. she asked 2 questions while reading through my application I just filled earlier. all the sudden she paused and said she was interviewing for a part time sale associate for the same location where I applied for a full time store manager. she told me my name was forward from the DM, and she assume I was going for a pt associate. I was a store manager for many year, and I am going to be a cashier? she finished the interview with me anyways and told me she will contact the DM again. she was sure all the management positions were filled, but if not, she will get back to me within next 2 day. she never contacted me again. From then to now, that position was still showing open. They are the most irresponsible people, so if you get a offer, confirm with them before driving 1hr and 10 mins to a store to get a different position.

Interview Question – oh, I wasn't aware you are applying for a store manager position. Im interviewing a pt sale associate, and I see you have many years of manager experience....... would you like to be a co manager or something if it opens up one day?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ann Taylor

Worked for Ann Taylor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ann Taylor Store Manager interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Ann Taylor employees and interview candidates.