Ansaldo STS USA

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Signal Engineer Interview

Associate Signal Engineer
Monroeville, PA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ansaldo STS USA.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a contracting firm, K A Hamilton, and asked if they could send my resume to Ansaldo. K A was essentially the middleman and negotiated my interview date and time. I was to speak with Jay Menon. During the interview she mostly observed while the Senior Engineers who I would be contracted to work directly under were interviewing me. The results of the interview were then handled through K A. They said they really liked me, but gave the job to someone who had done an internship with them.

Interview Question – No technical or textbook questions were asked.   Answer Question

Control Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Ansaldo STS USA.

Interview Details – Communicate and interview to potential employee

Interview Question – what best work had been done?   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Interviewed at Ansaldo STS USA

Interview Details – Not familiar with the hiring and interview process.

Negotiation Details – Poor.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ansaldo STS USA in July 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me via email. I agreed to discuss further on the phone.

He was very candid and forthcoming in answering my questions about Ansaldo's mixed reviews on Glassdoor, and offered a reasonable and consistent explanation as to why things were getting better. The people I spoke to during the eventual interview also offered explanations that were consistent with recent reviews on Glassdoor, so I figured they were worth a shot.

When I first spoke with the recruiter, I was not ready to change jobs for another 3-6 months. I told him that I would be open to interviewing if they would be willing to accept a very late start date. That was not possible, which I expected. (Most companies would not be able to do that, in my experience.)

When I was ready to take a job, I interviewed with another company. I had an offer in hand, but wanted to give Ansaldo a chance if they still had openings. I contacted them, but the recruiter I originally spoke with had moved on to another company. I told them about our conversation, and that I had another offer in hand. They set up a phone screen, then an interview *very* quickly, and I had an offer from them within a day after that.

Their responsiveness and willingness to work with my schedule won them big points with me. I might have gone with my other offer if it weren't for that.

The interview itself consisted mostly of open-ended technical questions about C++. They were not very difficult. No tough algorithm questions; it seemed like they were just verifying that I probably had as much C++ experience as my resume indicated.

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I could tell that the hiring manager was being very honest about the salary range. The negotiation process was very open and fair.

Intern Interview

Intern
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ansaldo STS USA in April 2012.

Interview Details – I contacted via email and setup an on site interview. The employees were very friendly and responsive.

Interview Question – Asked me an interesting situational question about the importance of documentation.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Ansaldo STS USA in June 2008.

Interview Details – Resume review and search for outside informations. The candidate must know about the company and its history to be considered.

Interview Question – What happens if you are asked to do something and you do it but the boss changes the requirement? If it happens more than once, you need to   View Answer

Engineer B Interview

Engineer B
Batesburg, SC

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Ansaldo STS USA.

Interview Details – An application was submitted through one of the main on-line employment databases. There was one interview with the staff that included the director of engineering and an engineer that worked on the floor. I sent a thank-you email to the director of engineering for the opportunity they gave me.
There was a long delay of 45 days after the interview before they made me an offer.
The offer was by phone followed by a written confirmation by email.

Interview Question – Questions on their products.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Ansaldo STS USA in April 2012.

Interview Details – I had an introductory phone screen that mainly focused on my process experience and a few minor technical questions. One day after the phone screen I was invited for an onsite interview.

The onsite interview consisted of two panel type interviews with two engineers in each panel. The first of the two interviews was all technical. This interview was mostly C++ trivia and a little about Object Oriented design.

The second panel had both an engineer and someone that was more of a manager. We talked more about process and there were a few behavioral interview questions mixed in. The engineer could not help himself from asking more C++ trivia type questions. Again, I answered all the C++ questions correctly.

I would say that this interview is fairly easy from a technical standpoint. All one would have to do is to study the typical C++ trivia questions and you would do fairly well. They did not even ask for any code to be written on a whiteboard.

I did get a bad vibe about the place. It is a cube farm with a factory type mentality. Also my interviewers indicated that there had been a large amount of turnover recently.

They also seem to use outdated technology - Motif for there GUI.

I was required to provide them with an application and detailed salary history. After a few days, I was given a job offer that was $9,000 below my current salary and far below the local market. If you have some decent skill, I would not waste my time with these guys. They are looking for the lowest cost provider.

Interview Question – Describe how a virtual method works?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The salary offer was for $9,000 less than I was currently making and HR would not negotiate.

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ansaldo STS USA in November 2011.

Interview Details – Lots of technical questions and background questions. 3 groups of 2 engineers in each review. 1 on 1 with department manager. Tour of labs and parts of building.

Reason for Declining – The benefit package was very expensive. Salary was less than another offer from a different company

Senior Telecommunications Engineer Interview

Senior Telecommunications Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Ansaldo STS USA in February 2011.

Interview Details – identified via a recruiter, pre-screening phone interview with them, basic questions.
a day or two later, a group phone interview with asts ~1 hour, basic interview questions mostly technical v. experience.
a day or two later, a face to face with two different groups with the above same questions.
a day or two later, offer discussion went through the recruiter and an agreement was in place by the end of a week's time.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – awkward with the recruiter in that i wanted more but they indicated it wouldnt be an option because they new how much my manager made because they placed him, too.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ansaldo STS USA

Worked for Ansaldo STS USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ansaldo STS USA interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Ansaldo STS USA employees and interview candidates.