Answers Corporation

Very Difficult Interview

Analytics Engineer Interview

Analytics Engineer
Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Answers Corporation in July 2011.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by the Answers.com Head of Recruiting. He wanted to share a couple of opportunities in their Analytics Group (How'd he get a hold of me?). I was traveling to Argentina the next day, so we couldn’t schedule an immediate meeting. We committed to getting back in touch upon my return to Mountain View, CA. I got back in touch with him (e.g. Lance Greeninger) the moment I returned, filled out a questionnaire about my work history, skills, capabilities, academics, and work status .. I got my first interview scheduled .. the rest is history.

Interview Question – 1. What is the Central Limit Theorem?
2. If X is a Random Variable distributed with mean u_x, Variance s^2_x and Y is an independent Random Variable distributed with mean u_y, variance s^2_y. Define Z as X*Y, what is the expected value of Z? what is an approximation of the variance of Z?
3. In SAS, how would you define a macro that accepts one parameter that is a dataset name and prints the first 10 observations from that dataset?
4. How would you define the revenue per 1000 impressions (rpm) of a certain ad as $1.50. Let the cost per 1000 impressions (cpm) of that ad be variable but define the volume (impressions) = 100000*cpm^2 Define the profit per 1000 impression as rpm – cpm?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – They are savvy in knowing what the market and jobs level pays.

Worked for Answers Corporation? Contribute to the Community!