Anthropologie

Updated Dec 16, 2014
Updated Dec 16, 2014

2.3

Sales Manager Interview

The product and visuals are great. I've long admired the cohesive vision the company conveys in its floor sets, but as a shopper, never wowed by the service I received there- so it seemed like there was a lot of opportunity to ramp up the customer experience. I orginally applied for the store manager position but after the first interview, it was recommended that I interview for the position of Sales Manager. In total, I had to attend multiple interviews at different locations all over the metroplex. The interviews consisted of your usual battery of retail management questions, but also included a session where I had to pick out outfits for specific types of shoppers. Ultimately, it was this long, drawn out interview process that turned me off to the company because it was inconsiderate to make me have to go all over town to meet with so many people, wasting so much gas. It felt like decisions don't get made without consulting many others. I'd rather be a part of a company that empowers people to make their own decisions and get things done. I was offered the position- but went with another organization.

Interview Questions
    • i was asked to pick outfits for certain types of shoppers   View Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and filled out a style profile with questions like who is your style icon, what is your personal style, etc. I was emailed back to set up an in person interview for the next week. I was then interviewed by a manager sitting on the couch on the sales floor. Two days later I was asked back for a second interview which was much like the first. I was offered the job via phone later that day.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were hard or unexpected. Most questions were personal style and customer service oriented.   Answer Question

Customer Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Anthropologie.

I applied online for a part-time customer associate position. I got an email two days later to do an online survey, which I did. I got an email the day after that saying they wanted to meet me and gave me two times they were holding interviews. I went to the first option, and I was interviewed on a couch in the store with one other person by the store manager. She was really sweet and seemed genuinely interested in our answers to her questions, as well as answering our own questions. I prepared for the interview pretty well, and dressed very Anthropologie-y. None of the questions were out of the ordinary if you do your research- Why do you want to work here? Describe the Anthropologie aesthetic. What are areas you could improve on? Have you been trained in loss prevention? What inspires you? And other basic retail interview questions. Five days later I received a call from the store offering me a job, which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation because they started me at more than my last job.

Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Anthropologie in October 2014.

Store Manager called to set up interview. Interviewed the next day. Sat on the couch in the store, interview lasted about 30-40 minutes. Overall simple, straight-forward process. Still waiting to hear back and hopeful, but Glassdoor doesn't have that as an option under the "offer" section.

Interview Questions
    • Describe our target customer's hobbies, interests, and generally what she is like.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Anthropologie in October 2014.

Applied online -- the application was fairly extensive and had ten long form answer questions about the brand/personal style/etc. I turned in a copy of my resume in person to the in-store stylist later that day. Received an email the next day requesting I do an ethics survey (which I had already done for UO). Received another email a day after that requesting to schedule an interview the following Sunday. They didn't mention it would be a group interview, but after having interviewed with Urban, and knowing the way the URBN mother company is set up, I assumed it would be. I was right. There were three other ladies, all of whom seemed much more qualified for the position. I have never worked at a clothing store before and have limited retail experience otherwise, so needless to say, I was incredibly nervous. The interview was conducted before store opening by two very nice higher-level employees, and it lasted about an hour. There was an icebreaker question and then about five more serious questions, ending with an outfitting challenge. I was a little shaky answering the questions, but had a lot of fun picking out the outfit. They seemed to really like what I put together. I brought in a handwritten thank you letter later on that day and handed it to one of the interviewers, and she was very appreciative. Still, I was pretty doubtful they would hire me considering how nervous I was. I got a call the following day however with an offer and I accepted. I start next week, and I can't wait!

Interview Questions
    • What are three adjectives that someone close to you would use to describe you?   Answer Question
    I didn't even attempt to negotiate. Pay isn't minimum, but isn't really much more than minimum. You do get a killer discount though, applicable at all URBN stores, and I love Anthropologie, so I don't mind much.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Group Interview at the store with two of the managers. They took turns asking us different questions. Then they discussed between each other who should stay for the next round. They cut two of the six girls. Then the four of us were to pick out an outfit that we thought would embody the anthropologie customer. Everyone did well. Then we each talked to one of the managers who extended us a job. She set up a training shift.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle an unhappy customer?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Anthropologie in October 2014.

The entire process took about three weeks, which was too long if you ask me. I completed the online application, a week later I received the online assessment and after completing that I received an open interview invitations five days later. The open interview is engaging and not overwhelming, do your research and be comfortable with the company style and demographics. A few days after that I received a call for an interview with the general manager. I thought for sure I'd be in the running to be hired, after all I did excel in the open interview and made myself known and I do have plenty of retail experience and fit in with the overall Anthropologie style. My interview was scheduled for 3 pm, so I arrived timely and fifteen minutes early, however, once I got there the general manager who called to set up the interview made it seem like I was late and accused me of it too. For reasons, I will never know her schedule was changed and she was under the impression that the interview would start at 2:30 pm. In turn they put me in an uncomfortable position, accused me of being late when I was early, and I did my best to answer all her questions under the pressure of only having ten minutes to interview because she rudely let me know she had to be back on the floor by 3 pm. By far the worst interview experience of my life. It was so unprofessional to accuse someone of being late when it reality your schedule changed and I was not given the proper opportunity to interview. I've never been late in my life for anything.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodcliff Lake, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodcliff Lake, NJ

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Anthropologie in October 2014.

I submitted my application the night prior just so I can have something on file with them. I Walked in during the open interview hours and approached the person who greeted me at the door and asked her who I should see for an interview. It happened to be herself so she grabbed a pen and paper (post its) and asked me to have a seat on the couch on the sales floor.

Seasonal Sales Associate P/T Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The interview process in nyc was simple and straight-forward. I projected myself in a way that mirrors the image of the brand. I spoke honestly about my people skills as it relates to the job. I was bubbly and the two individuals I met with responded well to it. :) Relaxed interview on the floor.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the customer who shops at the store.   Answer Question
    not able to negotiate since seasonal.

Vice President Fabric Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Anthropologie in October 2014.

Unprofessional and abrubt. The interview was about an hour and was focused more on my previous employer and the dynamic of their operations vs. my expertise and job search. I tried to contact the interviewer several times after the interview and all my emails went unanswered. She finally contacted me to say they changed their focus to manager level vs. senior level *VP and would circle back after the new year.