Apcon

Relevance Date Difficulty

Inside Sales Interview Interview

Inside Sales Interview
Wilsonville, OR

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Apcon in May 2013.

Interview Details – Had 3 total interviews and invested a lot of time to talk with these people about an Inside Sales position. Recruiter was nice, hiring manager was an arrogant jerk. Don't waste your precious time trying to get on with this outfit.

Interview Question – Why do you think you are skilled enough for this position.   Answer Question

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Regional Sales Manager

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Apcon.

Interview Details – Received an unsolicited call from HR department. Pleasant conversation - did a Skype interview with HR. I agreed to explore the opportunity and HR set up a telephone call with a Sales Director. The Sales Director/Interviewer stood me up twice until we finally chatted.

The call/discussion went very well. We seemed to be on the same page throughout the entire interview, We had some people/customers in common and our technical background was similar. The interviewer had to end the call abruptly but we agreed to meet in person the next time he was in town in approximately two weeks.

HR set up the meeting and we met at a hotel lobby. I decided to break the ice by identifying with the sales director by bringing up the people and background we had discussed we had in common. I found it bizarre that he could not remember a single customer that he had told me on the phone that he knew. Anyway, the interviewer talked a lot about how technical his products are and he seemed very knowledgeable about Apcon, but the longer we talked the more obvious it became that he knew very little about much anything else- the territory, the industries and markets in the territory etc. - He was kind of like what you would call an "empty suit" or what you might call a knowledgeable "order taker".

I got out of there as soon as I could.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions, a few questions about my previous company that I felt should not be asked. Very unprofessional.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Apcon in July 2013.

Interview Details – After posting resume on a job-board got a cold call from a lady in their human resources. She was very pleasant to talk to. Went through some questions and discussion, An interview time was setup with local manager for the next week. Got a call the next week that the CEO was flying down to do the interviews himself and that they would not be pursuing me.

Interview Question – Who approved the product screen designs at my prior employers? (odd)   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Regional Sales Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Apcon.

Interview Details – It took about 5 weeks to actually meet with the Sales Manager because he was always re-scheduling. We did a telephone interview first and then finally after a few weeks we met in person. The first set of questions seemed to be more about my knowledge of the Apcon products than one would expect - since HR had told me that I would be sent to a Boot camp in Wilsonville to learn the products as soon as I was hired. Anyway, I was prepared to discuss my knowledge of the Apcon products because I had some background in it and I spent time reviewing their website which was very good. After a few minutes of cross - correlating the products and services that I sold with Apcon products it became increasing clear that I knew what I was talking about. As a matter of fact, I viewed this discussion as an opportunity to ask the interviewer marketing questions that I had regarding the application of some of the newer features and partnerships that were described on the website. To my consternation, the sales manager couldn't really explain how any of the features either helped solve any real world problems or pull through the product sale in anw way.

Instead the interview moved on to my background and customer base experience. He asked the same exact questions that we spent on the telephone interview. It was clear that he either could not remember or didn't bother to take any notes. He did have a copy of my resume' with him, however I spent the next few minutes going over the same detail as I had
before and most all of the initial questions were answered on the resume'. At one point in the interview we got interrupted by the interview taking a cell call, and I tried to redirect the interview back on point when he finished - however the interview moved to asking me detailed questions about my customers, name function etc and seemed this time he seemed to be taking notes. I provided a few answers but decided to ask him if he was verifying my contacts with his known contacts to see if they were in common. The interviewer/sales manager didn't really give me a straight answer, so I asked him if the customers I shared with him were Apcon customers. He told me that he couldn't answer that question. Then I asked him who is customers were in the region and how much business they were doing. He told me that Apcon is a private company and that he would not or could not tell me that information.

At this point it became clear that this was a one way interview. I answered all his questions and it was pretty clear that I was qualified for the position given my past. As a matter of fact, the interviewer went on to explained to me the next step in the process was for me to fly out WIlsonville for a presentation/meeting with others.

When he asked me if I had any questions- I asked two questions- Who was Apcon's biggest competitor and how is Apcon dealing with them. I really didn't receive much of an answer to this either.

I then decided in my mind that maybe I could find out the answers to my questions in Wilsonville, so I asked him for a commitment to the next step. He seemed surprised that I tried to close him and told me that he needed to compare me with other candidates. As I was leaving the thought crossed my mind that the Sales Manager was a bit of a phony. The job description was for a self starter that could managed the entire sales cycle from start to finish. My impression was that he was actually looking for people that he felt were more needy than the job description, more likely to need his help with either the product knowledge or the sales cycle or both and if my impressions was accurate, I may have made him feel insecure.

I never did hear back from then,

Interview Question – The unexpected questions centered around detailed questions about MY customers without and feedback as to why.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

Interviewed at Apcon

Interview Details – Long process, interviewed by a lot of people for unspecific position.

Trade Show & Event Manager Interview

Trade Show & Event Manager
Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Apcon in February 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted application on Saturday, email contact from recruiter on Monday morning, phone interview on Tuesday, face to face interview with Director of Marketing on Friday, Skype video interview with HR Director the following Wednesday, and face to face with CEO the next Monday.

This company has it together. Extremely professional, well orchestrated at every level. Amazing communication level given there are multiple offices, meaning Plano and Portland interview process was well oiled.

Interview Question – Every question was extremely relevant to my targeted position in the company. Nothing unexpected or difficult to answer.

This company doesn't play games like asking how many windows are in NYC, or how many quarters would need to be stacked to top the Empire State Building, etc....
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They actually increased my salary slightly from where I indicated my requirement would be. Vacation package is amazing for a company of this size. I am extremely impressed with the breadth of selection from their 401k fund selection, which includes a 6% match.

Employee insurance is paid for by the company!

Inside Sales Interview

Inside Sales
Wilsonville, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Apcon.

Interview Details – 3 interviews conducted
2nd one with Inside Sales Manager
3 with National Sales Manager
Urine sample, background check

Interview Question – I can"t really remember the questions mostly technical and I had that . I do remember the National Sales Mgr saying I may have to meet with the CEO, which was also not a problem for me , I had previous experience talking to all levels of an organization. The inside sales manager was the most difficult to pass , he has been there 10 years and needs a new job.
The National sales Manager asked me what was in a CPU
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – I should have declined this was not a good experience

Administrative Interview

Administrative
Wilsonville, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Apcon in June 2011.

Interview Details – I received multiple e-mails and had a long phone interview with the corporate recruiter. He was very friendly and provided solid information on the company and hiring process. The one on one interview and two on one interview was also very good, but then the communication abruptly ended. I completely understand that I might not be the right fit, but it was not handled professionally.

Interview Question – There were not any particularly difficult questions, as the position was not actually created yet. It was more hypothetical, which can be hard to paint a picture for someone when the details are so ambiguous.   Answer Question

Director of Operations Interview

Director of Operations

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Apcon in August 2010.

Interview Details – I was recruited via phone. Came in for a tour & company presentation, and initial interview. I was called back in for formal interviews with Managers, Directors, and President of the firm. I was the then given a job offer and we negotiated the salary. I completed my Drug Test and Bakground checks and then started at the firm.

Interview Question – None, all were pretty standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes I was able to negotiate. Be flexible and bring documentation (Pay stub, Bonus & Stock Options) to support your side of the negotiations. Also have your Medical/Dental/Vision benefit info to show what you had at your last job. Get industry salary information too to support your requirements: be patient and realistic.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Apcon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apcon interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Apcon employees and interview candidates.