Apollo Education Group

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Academic Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA
Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apollo Education Group in January 2013.

I had to take an assessment test, which mainly consisted of questions about how I felt about certain tasks. There were also questions about I would handle situations that might arise on the job and choose what I felt was the "most correct" response. After that, I had a phone interview that pretty much revealed the job for what it really is: a customer service position. I was not asked one question about academics or education in any way at all. I was asked how I had dealt with angry customers in the past - I don't have customer service experience, but I do have a lot of experience in education, including higher education, so I guess I wasn't equipped to answer the questions they had for me. I really was expecting the scenario questions to be about academics or working with students since the title of the position implies a lot of work with students. Don't expect a conversational style, as this is just a phone screen. There was a lot of silence while the person typed out my responses, and there was no room for follow-up questions or responses. You will not be given the opportunity to show any kind of personality or to ask any questions you might have about the position. A written record of the phone screen will be passed along to a hiring manager who will then decide if you get to move forward. It was an awkward and disappointing experience, to say the least. I have had phone interviews before, and there's usually a back and forth. This was strictly business.

Interview Questions
  • Please describe a situation in which you went out of your way to correct a wrong.   Answer Question