App Annie Interview Questions

Updated Apr 7, 2015
Updated Apr 7, 2015

Marketing Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at App Annie.

Interview

It was straight forward: phone screening, phone screening with the HM, then an in-person interview meeting the team. The downside is that there is a long final interview process that has very high transaction cost: a presentation they ask you to put 15-25 hours into. I think that's very sketchy considering that it's asking for a lot of free labor upfront... seems to tell me a lot about how much they value employee work/life balance.

Interview Questions

• Which projects did you have the most impact on the team?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at App Annie (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It was a very quick and personable process. The hiring manager reached out to me and met in person for a quick coffee chat to share more information about the role. There was a 16 hour homework. The recruiter followed up to share more context so that I would have a good idea of what level of work other candidates would likely present. The hiring manager also remained available in case I had any questions. I came in a week later to do a one hour presentation in front of a team of six, and it was a very conversational vs. formal presentation.

Having accepted the job, the homework may have been lengthy but it's been very representative of the type of work I do on a daily basis.

Interview Questions

• The questions were about the rationale behind my recommendations.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at App Annie.

Interview

Overall recruiters are responsive and try to do a good job. But some things seem unnecessary and more for "show". For instance the infamous "homework" that is quite time consuming and labor intensive. I don't think all roles have this but shouldn't it be consistent across the board?

Feels like App Annie is trying to copy the bigger companies of Silicon Valley, instead of creating their own meaningful interview process.

Director Level Role Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at App Annie (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

-Really positive external recruiter contact then it all went downhill.
    -Internal recruiting head seem nice enough but really didn't have the level I expect to head up recruiting. It was a completely different experience than the external recruiter. It wasn't a great candidate experience.
    -One of the senior leaders seemed biased, I don't think he would command the respect of others.
    -Hiring manager seemed overwhelmed and he played a role in getting solutions to his current issues.

Interview Questions

• It was a lot of "this is our challenge right now, how would you fix it."   Answer Question

Various Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at App Annie.

Interview

Recruiter very unprofessional...did not follow up as he said he would (either way, this is a common courtesy people generally expect). Additionally, she/he was unpleasant and a tad bit pompous. I don't know anything about the culture over there, but have read very positive things. Check with your recruiters and see if they have any clue how to manage expectations. Classic over promise and underdeliver scenario.

Interview Questions

• What products that they feature interests me the most?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at App Annie.

Interview

There were many interviews, recruiter handled them well lots of scheduling. This all ended in a "homework" case study, which took a fair amount of time. I guess it makes sense to have it, though it all felt like a bit "much" and they clearly were looking for very specific things. Some of the interviewers were smart and inspiring, others were just ok.

Interview Questions

• What would you fix about the website (always tricky as you don't know if you are going to hit any political landmines).   Answer Question

Negotiation

middle of the road pay, ok benefits, ok stock, nothing outstanding

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at App Annie.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and had a phone screen with the senior data analyst and another one with the principal data analyst. The whole process took about a month. This was one of the most negative experiences that I have ever had. They seem to hire elitist types who are arrogant and condescending. Would never consider working here.

Interview Questions

• If an app is ranked #17 in games, how high can it be ranked in All apps?   1 Answer

Sales Enablement Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at App Annie (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I spoke with two members of the internal recruiting team, global recruiting leader and a sales recruiter for an intro and basic pre-screening. They kept me informed when there was a slight delay as they were settling in the new hiring manager for this role. They were very friendly and knowledgable about this search. They made sure things lined up from my experience to compensation expectations.

Next was a phone screen with the new hiring manager. Overall very great and professional people. You can tell how excited they are about the company and what they are doing. They all seemed very busy but that's understandable as they are in high growth mode. The coordinator was very helpful too. It seems very fast paced there. Almost too much going on at once. In the end, they moved forward with another candidate and I was pretty bummed. The recruiter kindly called me to close the loop. Pretty rare these days. It was a very positive experience compared to many other companies out there who move too quickly and treat candidates like numbers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you supported a regional team in planning and executing global enablement strategies?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at App Annie (San Francisco, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Submitted my application online after seeing LinkedIn posting.
    Got a response within a few hours to setup a phone screen. Picked a time for my phone screen.
    Received an invitation to next round with hiring manager later the same day (mock call)--was some questions about my experience/interest in the product and then a mock call-->feedback--> another try at the call to rectify some of the issues.
    Received an invitation later that day to come into the office for an in-person the next two days.
    Was provided detailed instructions & they were very understanding of my schedule (I was working full-time) so I went in that evening, was greeted & met with the recruiter. Introduced to the hiring manager (head of sales) & then met with the person I would be meeting with.
    Lots of questions about why I wanted the job and why I was interested in the company in particular. Very thoughtful/thought-provoking interview (really made me think about why I would be a good fit and if the role itself was interesting).
    I wasn't that thrilled about the role when I first started the interview process, but after speaking with people and learning more about the company/team/position, I knew it would be a good fit.
    Called back with a verbal offer the next day.

Interview Questions

• What do you think would be the hardest part of this position for you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

48 hour turnaround expected. They move VERY quickly--which is a lot of why I chose the company/position over others.
    They were very accommodating and responsive throughout the process.

User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at App Annie.

Interview

The interview is straightforward. Starts with a phone screen with a recruiter followed by an hour interview on the phone with the UX director. I thought both conversations went well and people seemed nice and smart. I don't like how they treat their candidates post-interview however. At the early stages they make you feel like you're the perfect candidate for the role, they act very excited and are completely responsive, but then after the interview it's not possible to get any sort of response. It's not very classy and you can tell a lot about a company by the way they treat people during an interview.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. All the questions were basic questions about your background and experience.   Answer Question

App Annie Response

Dec 16, 2014Director of Global Recruiting

We are sorry to read this. Our recruitment process is contingent upon many factors which includes candidate flow and timing. In some cases, we aren't exactly sure which direction to take candidates ... More