App Annie

Updated Nov 21, 2014
Updated Nov 21, 2014

2.9

User Experience Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at App Annie.

The interview is straightforward. Starts with a phone screen with a recruiter followed by an hour interview on the phone with the UX director. I thought both conversations went well and people seemed nice and smart. I don't like how they treat their candidates post-interview however. At the early stages they make you feel like you're the perfect candidate for the role, they act very excited and are completely responsive, but then after the interview it's not possible to get any sort of response. It's not very classy and you can tell a lot about a company by the way they treat people during an interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. All the questions were basic questions about your background and experience.   Answer Question

Dec 16, 2014Director of Global Recruiting

We are sorry to read this. Our recruitment process is contingent upon many factors which includes candidate flow and timing. In some cases, we aren't exactly sure which direction to take candidates ... More

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at App Annie in November 2014.

Submitted my application online after seeing LinkedIn posting.
    Got a response within a few hours to setup a phone screen. Picked a time for my phone screen.
    Received an invitation to next round with hiring manager later the same day (mock call)--was some questions about my experience/interest in the product and then a mock call-->feedback--> another try at the call to rectify some of the issues.
    Received an invitation later that day to come into the office for an in-person the next two days.
    Was provided detailed instructions & they were very understanding of my schedule (I was working full-time) so I went in that evening, was greeted & met with the recruiter. Introduced to the hiring manager (head of sales) & then met with the person I would be meeting with.
    Lots of questions about why I wanted the job and why I was interested in the company in particular. Very thoughtful/thought-provoking interview (really made me think about why I would be a good fit and if the role itself was interesting).
    I wasn't that thrilled about the role when I first started the interview process, but after speaking with people and learning more about the company/team/position, I knew it would be a good fit.
    Called back with a verbal offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think would be the hardest part of this position for you?   Answer Question
    48 hour turnaround expected. They move VERY quickly--which is a lot of why I chose the company/position over others.
    They were very accommodating and responsive throughout the process.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at App Annie.

I had a really positive experience with the recruiting team and the company's interview process. I was scheduled for a phone screen and on-site interview, and the company was very accommodating with my schedule. I was still at my former place of employment at the time so we were working out of normal office hours. The person I spoke to on the phone to schedule my interviews was so nice! When I came to the office, they had just moved to another floor and people were very friendly in helping me find the right place to be. I met with three different people when I came in and they were all very engaging. The interview seemed more like a conversation than an intimidating interview--they seem to be genuinely curious to see if you'd be a good fit/they'd be a good place for you. Plus, it helped that everyone I spoke with was excited about the position and how it would benefit the company.

The culture seems hardworking yet casual and relaxed. When I came in, I was interviewed until about 7 in the evening. When I left, there were people still in the office, joking around which I took to be a good sign. The SF office is about 50 people, so it's still small so the culture is still be defined. It's definitely growing though.

One of the most positive things I have to say about this process is that they were very transparent. Not only were they clear with the next steps with me, but they also discussed my potential growth trajectory within the company.

Interview Questions
    • They asked scenario questions about how I would go about executing a certain task. I realized after it was more to see my natural inclinations and how I approach planning something.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at App Annie in June 2014.

The interview process was very challenging and required extensive in-depth knowledge on the digital mobile app industry. The on-site consisted of multiple interviews with questions that covered both technical aptitude and culture fit.

All in all, the interview process was wonderful and the recruitment team was extremely efficient. I was able to tell that App Annie is committed to building a highly skilled team with great culture.

Industry Analyst Interview

3 phone interviews (HR, one on one with hiring manager, several on one with small panel) and then group panel presentation with team members at multiple levels of the company.

Interview Questions
    • Being asked to classify an app when it did not quite fit into any one single category.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at App Annie in June 2014.

I was contacted by them via LinkedIn. They seem to have a new team of internal recruiters that are hungry and are trying to find even rough fits to open positions. There was a little bit of handing off and "I'll get back to you" about simple things like other open positions but this is not uncommon for a company with a new team of folks.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really stood out other than the questions they asked seemed more like 'What would someone that could be in this role know?' rather than asking about my experience.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at App Annie.

Something very unskilled about their interview process. A quick, cursory interview with no real sense of what the position requirements are was conducted by a novice recruiter who talks fast. I will give them credit for quickly replying with an auto respond email that eliminates you from the hiring process. However, I can't help but wonder....when a candidate clearly has the skill set, experience and industry background and the applicant seems to be a good professional fit for the position, why wouldn't you take them to the next step for an in-person interview? The interview was too short to get a sense of style or personality. There was no discussion of financial expectations. Did they already have a candidate in mind and were they just "going through the motions"? Were they being ageist? Or, perhaps the applicant was too Caucasian? Too female? (It might be worth pointing out that the upper management seems to be primarily men). Not accusing here, just pointing out that something about this interview was off and I just can't put my finger on it....

Apr 24, 2014Director of Global Recruiting

We appreciate your feedback as hiring is taken very seriously at App Annie. We have been fortunate to receive a high volume of applications and interest to App Annie. Our newly established ... More

Senior Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at App Annie.

This is one of the strangest interviews I've ever had. Contacted by a recruiter about 2 months after I applied. I had completely forgotten about the application, but decided to go for it anyway. First round of interview was with a person in a similar position. Second interview was with the head of the department. All interviews were over the phone.

The second interview was particularly quirky. There were zero questions about what I had done in my current position. It was basically a skill test with some of the weirdest case questions I've ever had to answer. Instead of focusing on my thought process, it seems like the questions had a very specific "right" answer. Each question had very little information to go on and the interviewer would not provide any helpful hints or insights. For a research-based position, the interview forces you to come up with insights based on very little data.

Overall, this has been a very negative experience.

Interview Questions
    • If one country had a 200% increase in app store revenue and another country had a 40% increase, what can you tell me about both countries?   View Answer

Apr 18, 2014Director of Global Recruiting

Thank you for providing this feedback -- it's very helpful.

Here is feedback from our Principal Analyst. "The questions actually do not have "right" answers, but rather, are meant to find out
    ... More

Online Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at App Annie in April 2014.

I interviewed for a role focused on online acquisition in their San Francisco office. Generally impressed with the people I met, both in the interview process and at a company happy hour I was invited to.

The interview process was pretty straightforward:

First, phone screen with recruiter.
    Then phone screen with hiring manager.
    Then in-house interview (~2-3 hours) with several folks across marketing, PM.
    Then a week to do a take-home assignment on optimizing their funnel.
    Present to the team, answer questions.

Was given an offer, but decided to take another opportunity that was a better fit. Company is likely to do well, one of the leaders in the app analytics and advertising space.

One open question is about the impact of App Annie being founded in Beijing. They are supposedly moving a lot of their teams to SF by the end of this year. But I did wonder about how this would play out in company politics/culture not being Chinese myself. Seems like it's more of an international company than a Chinese one per se, but hard to truly gauge that from interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too surprising, although the homework did require understanding the nature of their online signup flow and in-product onboarding. Both of which are a little confusing to grasp, but not earth shatteringly complex either.   Answer Question

Senior IT Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at App Annie in February 2014.

Thorough Interview process. I really enjoyed the attention the recruiters gave me as an applicant.
    They were very responsive and transparent throughout the process.
     AppAnnie is very selective and is looking for individuals who will help to move the company forward in it's scaling and growth phase.

Pleasent