App Annie

Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.9

Director Level Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at App Annie.

-Really positive external recruiter contact then it all went downhill.
    -Internal recruiting head seem nice enough but really didn't have the level I expect to head up recruiting. It was a completely different experience than the external recruiter. It wasn't a great candidate experience.
    -One of the senior leaders seemed biased, I don't think he would command the respect of others.
    -Hiring manager seemed overwhelmed and he played a role in getting solutions to his current issues.

Interview Questions
    • It was a lot of "this is our challenge right now, how would you fix it."   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at App Annie.

There were many interviews, recruiter handled them well lots of scheduling. This all ended in a "homework" case study, which took a fair amount of time. I guess it makes sense to have it, though it all felt like a bit "much" and they clearly were looking for very specific things. Some of the interviewers were smart and inspiring, others were just ok.

Interview Questions
    • What would you fix about the website (always tricky as you don't know if you are going to hit any political landmines).   Answer Question
    middle of the road pay, ok benefits, ok stock, nothing outstanding

Various Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at App Annie.

Recruiter very unprofessional...did not follow up as he said he would (either way, this is a common courtesy people generally expect). Additionally, she/he was unpleasant and a tad bit pompous. I don't know anything about the culture over there, but have read very positive things. Check with your recruiters and see if they have any clue how to manage expectations. Classic over promise and underdeliver scenario.

Interview Questions
    • What products that they feature interests me the most?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at App Annie.

I was contacted by a recruiter and had a phone screen with the senior data analyst and another one with the principal data analyst. The whole process took about a month. This was one of the most negative experiences that I have ever had. They seem to hire elitist types who are arrogant and condescending. Would never consider working here.

Interview Questions
    • If an app is ranked #17 in games, how high can it be ranked in All apps?   View Answer

Sales Enablement Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at App Annie in January 2015.

I spoke with two members of the internal recruiting team, global recruiting leader and a sales recruiter for an intro and basic pre-screening. They kept me informed when there was a slight delay as they were settling in the new hiring manager for this role. They were very friendly and knowledgable about this search. They made sure things lined up from my experience to compensation expectations.

Next was a phone screen with the new hiring manager. Overall very great and professional people. You can tell how excited they are about the company and what they are doing. They all seemed very busy but that's understandable as they are in high growth mode. The coordinator was very helpful too. It seems very fast paced there. Almost too much going on at once. In the end, they moved forward with another candidate and I was pretty bummed. The recruiter kindly called me to close the loop. Pretty rare these days. It was a very positive experience compared to many other companies out there who move too quickly and treat candidates like numbers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you supported a regional team in planning and executing global enablement strategies?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at App Annie in November 2014.

Submitted my application online after seeing LinkedIn posting.
    Got a response within a few hours to setup a phone screen. Picked a time for my phone screen.
    Received an invitation to next round with hiring manager later the same day (mock call)--was some questions about my experience/interest in the product and then a mock call-->feedback--> another try at the call to rectify some of the issues.
    Received an invitation later that day to come into the office for an in-person the next two days.
    Was provided detailed instructions & they were very understanding of my schedule (I was working full-time) so I went in that evening, was greeted & met with the recruiter. Introduced to the hiring manager (head of sales) & then met with the person I would be meeting with.
    Lots of questions about why I wanted the job and why I was interested in the company in particular. Very thoughtful/thought-provoking interview (really made me think about why I would be a good fit and if the role itself was interesting).
    I wasn't that thrilled about the role when I first started the interview process, but after speaking with people and learning more about the company/team/position, I knew it would be a good fit.
    Called back with a verbal offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think would be the hardest part of this position for you?   Answer Question
    48 hour turnaround expected. They move VERY quickly--which is a lot of why I chose the company/position over others.
    They were very accommodating and responsive throughout the process.

User Experience Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at App Annie.

The interview is straightforward. Starts with a phone screen with a recruiter followed by an hour interview on the phone with the UX director. I thought both conversations went well and people seemed nice and smart. I don't like how they treat their candidates post-interview however. At the early stages they make you feel like you're the perfect candidate for the role, they act very excited and are completely responsive, but then after the interview it's not possible to get any sort of response. It's not very classy and you can tell a lot about a company by the way they treat people during an interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. All the questions were basic questions about your background and experience.   Answer Question

App Annie Response

Dec 16, 2014Director of Global Recruiting

We are sorry to read this. Our recruitment process is contingent upon many factors which includes candidate flow and timing. In some cases, we aren't exactly sure which direction to take candidates ... More

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at App Annie in July 2014.

I had an initial phone screening by the recruiter, then a 1 on 1 meeting with EVP to discuss the position and pitch me the vision and finally homework / presentation to 5 people with a lot of questions. Awesome homework, totally in line with the job.

Interview Questions
    • Which key product at App Annie need the most improvement versus what you expected?   View Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at App Annie.

I had a really positive experience with the recruiting team and the company's interview process. I was scheduled for a phone screen and on-site interview, and the company was very accommodating with my schedule. I was still at my former place of employment at the time so we were working out of normal office hours. The person I spoke to on the phone to schedule my interviews was so nice! When I came to the office, they had just moved to another floor and people were very friendly in helping me find the right place to be. I met with three different people when I came in and they were all very engaging. The interview seemed more like a conversation than an intimidating interview--they seem to be genuinely curious to see if you'd be a good fit/they'd be a good place for you. Plus, it helped that everyone I spoke with was excited about the position and how it would benefit the company.

The culture seems hardworking yet casual and relaxed. When I came in, I was interviewed until about 7 in the evening. When I left, there were people still in the office, joking around which I took to be a good sign. The SF office is about 50 people, so it's still small so the culture is still be defined. It's definitely growing though.

One of the most positive things I have to say about this process is that they were very transparent. Not only were they clear with the next steps with me, but they also discussed my potential growth trajectory within the company.

Interview Questions
    • They asked scenario questions about how I would go about executing a certain task. I realized after it was more to see my natural inclinations and how I approach planning something.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at App Annie in June 2014.

The interview process was very challenging and required extensive in-depth knowledge on the digital mobile app industry. The on-site consisted of multiple interviews with questions that covered both technical aptitude and culture fit.

All in all, the interview process was wonderful and the recruitment team was extremely efficient. I was able to tell that App Annie is committed to building a highly skilled team with great culture.