AppDynamics Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at AppDynamics.

Interview

Day-long interview with about 6 sessions. There was a lunch interview too (let me eat in peace!) where they had already decided what I wanted to eat, and the food was cold. In short, the whole process was a big mess. The interview was scheduled at a different time than what I was told, resulting in several confused phone conversations on my way there. Once I got there 3 of the interviewers didn't even show up. They didn't even have the courtesy of reimbursing me for the travel, let alone getting back to me after the interview. Given the complete lack of discipline, I wouldn't go here even if they gave me a huge salary boost.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at AppDynamics.

Interview

Phone interview including google docs.
    The interviewer seemed to think the solution was ok, but since it was on Google Docs, it was difficult to get the syntax correct, and since he wanted the code to be in Java, he did not tell me the syntax should be perfect, so i just skipped over some sytax. for feed back afterwards, said my solution was good, but my coding was rusty, so they would want to do another interview. i did not set up another interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked a few tech questions, the did a programming exercise.

Implement LRU cache
      Asked to write code to implement LRU cache. I asked if using a hash, and linked list for the queue would be a good solution before I started. The interviewer was difficult to understand, not the best english. As I wrote the program, he would review each section, but would accidentally delete some of the code, not sure what he was doing. He asked me to fix what he deleted, it was pretty frustrating.

1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AppDynamics (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Basic Algorithms and data structures. Instead of data structure or algorithm concepts they are more interested in language syntax (collection package etc) where no intelligence required....Few Interviewers were gentlemen and open for new ideas. One Interviewer was really a close minded guy with predefined answers in his mind. He was more interested in Higher level language syntax instead of algorithm or data structures. Was not at all encouraging and not allowing to think creatively.

Interview Questions

• Hashset class implementation, Graph application. Syntax of Java priority Q syntax :)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at AppDynamics in February 2015.

Interview

I applied the job on the website. After several days the HR contacted me and talked a little bit about my background. Then she scheduled two telephone interview for me. After I finished the first interview I was told that the second interview was canceled. And the first interviewer gave me a negative feedback.

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at AppDynamics (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

First ask me if I have some question about their company, he answer by telling me how may tpyes of groups in the workflow. Then he just gives me two programming questions, with paper and pen, I need to write my algorithm and communicate with him.

Interview Questions

• 1. return the substring from string array according to given prefix   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AppDynamics.

Interview

Phone Interview for an hour. Mainly consist of the surface knowledge of L7 to L3. Followed by on-site for a day 5 rounds of interview. Mainly C/C++ programming. Problems like real problems they are facing, which is dependent on the team.

Interview Questions

• Real life situation debugging in TCP/IP. Analysis of TCP/IP.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at AppDynamics.

Interview

The interviewer was looking for strong core java experience. He asked me to implement LRU cache in java. He was helpful in terms of giving me hints and directing the interview. I will advice revising java basics and design patterns for this interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at AppDynamics.

Interview

Got contacted through AngelList. I had the best HR experience ever as she was super nice and gave me every single detail about the interview and compensation and everything else. I had 2 phone interviews. Both were technical in nature. Very basic data structures based questions. My first interview went poorly because the interviewer wasnt able to communicate properly. He asked me to implement a function that returns an integer and I did. Then he said that suppose we call this function 10 million times, how can we optimize it? I started working on improving the function that I wrote. He was not satisfied and then he told me that using HashMap is the right way to optimize. But, what he meant was to use HashMap to store returned 10 million integers and not how to optimize the existing function that returns those integers 1 by 1. There was a lot of miscommunication with that person which I believe led to my rejection. My other interview was not the best but it was satisfactory.
    It is a hot company right now because they are releasing an IPO soon. So, better get those RSUs before they launch!
    +1 for their hiring team as they provide you feedback as well!

Interview Questions

• Trivial questions. Even a freshman, who has taken a data structure course, can crack the phone interviews. Too bad there was a lot of miscommunication in my case.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AppDynamics (San Francisco, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

I met people throughout the organization and had a genuine opportunity to understand the company, its needs, and how this role fits in. I rated the interview as "difficult" - and that's a good thing. HR and Talent are highly valued at App Dynamics. The company is awesome, and I was sad to not get the offer.

Interview Questions

• They used a behavioral style of interviewing - asked a lot about past experience and how that could be applied to AppDynamics.   Answer Question

Software Engineer (UI) Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at AppDynamics (San Francisco, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I was contacted initially on LinkedIn for a full-time position after my expected graduation. After some brief conversations with the recruiter about what I was interested in doing, we moved on to 2 rounds of 1-hour phone interviews. These were done with an engineer, then a team manager at the company, consisting of 2 technical questions (collab on Google Docs) and some personal background stuff. These guys move fast, I received feedback much quicker than I anticipated, but they're willing to work around your schedule. There was a whole week in between my 2 phone interviews, due to various deadlines I had for school. The recruiter was very understanding about accommodating to that, which helped take the stress out of the situation.

After those calls, they flew me out for a day in San Francisco for some 1-on-1 interviews with engineers at the company office. This consisted of 5 45-minute sessions that began in the morning till the afternoon, interrupted by lunch. These weren't trick question interviews, at this stage they really just want to see if you're competent and a good fit for the company. They asked practical and useful stuff, so if you've got good fundamentals (e.g. data structures, trees, running time analysis), things shouldn't be too difficult. A lot of the questions were pertinent to what that interviewer is working on (or has worked on in the past) for the company, so there's no worry about having to jump through hoops or run through theoretical situations that have no practical value. The only "unpredictable" thing is to be prepared to back up what's on your resume. They won't grill it to purposely try to find blind spots in your knowledge, but they will assume you have working level proficiency, and ask questions accordingly. After a lot of algorithmic questions, I got hit with an HTML/CSS question. It wasn't hard or a "gotcha", but it caught me a little off-guard to go from recursion to markup syntax.

Overall, the experience was very positive. The interviewers will take some time and have short friendly discussions with you based on their roles in the company and what's on your resume. So if you're strong in certain languages (Java, JS, Python, etc) or a specific aspect of software design, that would be the time to flaunt it.

The recruiter was also approachable and pleasant to work with. She was very helpful and made the entire process seamlessly smooth. Sometimes you'd email to ask something in the evening, and receive a response only an hour or two later. Ultimately I took another offer, but I would love the opportunity to work with them in the future. AppDynamics is definitely a company to keep on your radar.

P.S. they have amazing snacks/drinks lying around. The alcohol alone is a perk if you ask me.

Interview Questions

• There was a question set up to elicit a basic discussion of linked lists vs. hashmap, to see if you could apply this knowledge practically. I don't remember the exact question.   Answer Question