AppFolio

14 candidate interviews

QA Tester Interview

QA Tester

Interviewed at AppFolio

Interview Details – This manager of this company is a graduate from UCSB, so if you are a student from UCSB and looking for jobs, you'd better have a try. I have experience three rounds of interviews, including a telephone interview and two on-site interviews.

Interview Question – The most part is form a CS Phd, and he asked me one logical question. This question aimed to test if you are a quick learner. But I failed   Answer Question

Interviewed at AppFolio

Interview Details – on campus recruiting but still need to apply online. They give me a phone interview but later they don't want to forward the interview.

Interview Question – tell your experience which has relation to the job   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative Interview

Sales Development Representative

Interviewed at AppFolio

Interview Details – They were nice on the phone. I got a call within a few weeks of submitting an application. They are a small startup that is looking to grow their business and want to have entry level people to help them grow.

Interview Question – Tell us about Appfolio and how you would make a cold call   Answer Question

Client Account Representative Interview

Client Account Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at AppFolio in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was reached out to via a recruiter to see if I would be interested in moving to AppFolio from my current position. I met with the CFO, toured the facility and discussed the opportunity at hand. My experience was pretty casual and I wouldn't consider it a formal review.

Interview Question – How I could contribute to this new position incorporating my past experience to apply to this very different oppotunity   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It was a big change in positions for me from my current employer at the time and I was very happy where I was. The offer was decent and the company looked like a really fun place to work. I wasn't motivated by it to move from where I wast though.

User Experience Designer Interview

User Experience Designer
Santa Barbara, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at AppFolio in February 2014.

Interview Details – Staff I interviewed with were very flaky. Multiple staff members missed interview times on multiple occasions with me and my references that they requested to speak to. Interview process took 60+ days. They NEVER communicated to me when they said they would. During interviews when I asked product folks about how they were improving their product (site filled with obvious bugs, non functional App.) they all changed subject to discuss another product they were working on. Would be a good work place for younger professionals who like to play with nerf guns but does not appear to be a good place for seasoned professionals. Smart engineering team seems to run the show. Seems to be some process work issues between design and Eng. teams Overall, Nice people and they all seem to enjoy working together but lack serious professional experience.

Interview Question – I was asked to provide a heuristic review of their products. and presented my findings.   View Answer

Santa Barbara, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AppFolio in January 2013.

Interview Details – It is quite a standard interview process. It emphasizes a lot on the breadth rather than the depth of knowledge in CS. All coding questions are reasonable and fair. From HR to CEO, all people there are very helpful and friendly. Their products are also very promising and starting to get a lot of revenue.

Interview Question – Various types of sorting algorithms and their complexity. Process of a URL being entered to a page rendered to users.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – This is my first offer and given the fact that this is a startup company and the pay is a bit below average.

On-Boarding Specialist Interview

On-Boarding Specialist
Goleta, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AppFolio in September 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process for the on-boarding specialist role entails meeting with the VP, and respective directors of the Value Added departments. If you are considered a good fit for the position you will be asked to sit in with one of the specialist so that they can show you a day in the life. Be nice to your specialist because they will be reporting directly to the VP or the director to determine if they believe you will be a good fit on the team.

Interview Question – Questions vary and the idea is to identify if you have good interpersonal skills, and effective verbal communication. Be natural and you will do well. AppFolio does not ask what your spirit animal is or anything strange, but be prepared to explain a situation you were able to effectively handle a customer concern.   Answer Question

Santa Barbara, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at AppFolio in February 2014.

Interview Details – Overall exp was good .initially had 2 phone interviews and 2 skype interviews .then I was asked visit SB office and the interviewers were friendly and lunch was provided .

Interview Question – 2 skype interviews and 4 rounds of onsite interviews .Interview was general programming and some questions to test your aptitude .   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AppFolio in January 2014.

Interview Details – Screening/behavioral questions with HR on phone first. Then a phone interview with Andrew Mutz. Very nice people. Fair questions. Asked a lot about complexity and ways to improve efficiency of your code. I just blanked.

Interview Question – 1. Given an array that contains duplicates (except for one value), find the one value that does not have a duplicate in that array. Explain the complexity of your algorithm. So in the array: A = [2, 3, 4, 5, 2, 3, 4] your algorithm should return 5 since that's the value that does not have a duplicate.

2. Explain the process that happens when you type your username and hit submit on a website (HTTP, server/client communication, etc...)
  View Answer

Santa Barbara, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at AppFolio in November 2007.

Interview Details – The first interview was with the CTO, who described the general work to be done, with some talks about my background in software. The next was with a remote engineer over the phone, who asked more technical questions about my history and experience with Ruby on Rails and programming in general. After that, a one-on-one with their lead engineer who presented several programming challenges. A less formal chat with the president and CEO, then a follow-up with the CTO again.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current job, when you've only been there for so little time?   View Answer
  • How would you go about designing a text editor dialog that would let you hop around files easily by just typing parts of their name?   View Answer
  • How long do you think you would work for this company?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Didn't feel I fit with the company culture.

Worked for AppFolio? Contribute to the Community!