AppNexus Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014
Updated Oct 14, 2014

3.2

Account Manager Interview

The process started with a resume drop, which followed up with a first and second round phone call/SKype, culminating in an all-day superday at their corporate headquarters in the Flatiron district in New York City.

Interview Questions
    • Interesting business case that was about a company thinking about entering a new market in a foreign country with heavier regulations   Answer Question

Software Engineer - Web Services (New Grad) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AppNexus in October 2014.

Shortly after submitting my resume online, I got an email from a recruiter asking to schedule a phone interview with me. I expected the interview was going to be a typical screening with a recruiter (since that's how these things almost always go), but instead I got a surprise technical interview with the team lead. It was fairly easy though -- just a couple of typical programming questions, although one required specific knowledge of a mathematical operation.

I was then asked for another phone interview -- this one lasted only 15 minutes, with a recruiter explaining that she wanted to schedule an onsite interview for the Portland office where I applied. They paid for a one-night stay at a decent hotel, as well as $100 in travel expenses.

I had four rounds of technical interviews. The first was with the guy I interviewed with during my first phone interview -- again, he asked me fairly standard, albeit tougher interview questions. The second asked me to take an hour to explain a technical concept to him on a whiteboard. The third spent an hour to quiz me on a technology I do not know and never said I know, SQL. The fourth spent an hour on one standard but really tough programming question.

Here's the catch: three out of the four interviewers did not meet with me in person. I was set up through a teleconferencing system, and there were some major technical issues that impeded my performance in the interviews. Not a single interviewer was someone I would have daily in-person interaction with.

Two business days later, I was rudely given a phone call (yes, a phone call... seriously?) from a recruiter telling me they didn't want me.

Interview Questions
    • How would you implement an autocomplete search feature?   Answer Question

Associate Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at AppNexus.

Was referred by current employee so went through accelerated hiring process. Started with basic phone screen (behavioral/fit), then was invited to NYC offices for "blitz day" - 4 back to back interviews, 1 case. 3 behavioral interviews were fairly straight forward and each were with 1-2 different team members. Case was kind of strange and seemed like it would be ineffective at measuring any kind of business acumen. No breaks for lunch which made sitting in a conference room for 4.5 hours a bit exhausting

Interview Questions
    • If you had a client trying to pivot from one market to another, what would you do?   Answer Question

X Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at AppNexus.

I applied online and was contacted by the HR in about 3 weeks. The first round was supposed to be an HR screening. The HR contacted me over the phone 20 minutes late (for what was supposed to be a 30 minute interview) and seemed impatient towards the end of my "Tell me about yourself" description. She then tells me that they felt I do not have the necessary experience for role X and that they have been considering me for role Y instead.

I turned down further interview rounds as I had no desire to pursue role Y (I have no experience whatsoever in role Y and hence not sure how they figured I'd be better at it). Had they let me know this over email before scheduling the interview, I could have saved half a day's leave at my present employer. I definitely expected more professionalism from an industry leader such as AppNexus.

Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AppNexus.

HR reached out via Linkedin to schedule a quick phone screen. A second phone screen was subsequently scheduled. After that, I was asked to come in for a potential full day of interviews. This was great, except for the fact that a specific date and time was sent through without asking for availabilities. Luckily I was able to make this work, but requiring a full day off for an initial interview was pretty aggressive.

The day's schedule was to have two separate hour-long interviews in the morning, a lunch, and then a decision point for AppNexus. They would let you know if you were going to be brought back for the afternoon session of more interviews.

When I arrived in the morning, I was surprised to find three other candidates also there for interviews. We were given a group tour of the office, and then separated into our own conference rooms. We were told it wasn't a "Hunger Games style interview", but in reality, it was. This seemed like a setup for an entry-level position, rather than a position targeting someone with 8+ years of professional experience.

The first of the two interviews was a normal conversational interview. The second one was more focused on knowledge and those annoying logic brain teaser questions made famous by Google. I guess they missed the memo where Google no longer utilizes these types of questions in their interview process. Overall, it was clear that each interviewer had a specific agenda for the interviews with specific criteria for evaluating the candidate.

We were given sandwiches from Pret for lunch, and then they came in with the decision. Ultimately I was not asked back, but I know someone who was on another interview and it was more of the same.

All in all I thought that the interview process was a bit demeaning for someone coming in with almost 10 years of experience, especially given that they had reached out initially. I understand this may come off as bitter, but being expected to take a full day off for this interview process, which ultimately wasn't even needed, was a waste of time. Also, being given a specific day without asking if I was available was a little strange.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AppNexus.

Initially spoke with HR which was more a general conversation about my experience and what AppNexus does. Followed up with similar phone call with a member of the team. After which I was given a coding challenge to accomplish on my own time. I like that more versus the on the spot coding. Followed up by a technical screening.

still in the process I will update as I progress...

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult just general Computer Science information   Answer Question

Talent Development Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at AppNexus in August 2014.

I applied through the company's career website and heard back the week after for a phone interview. The phone interview was quite easy, 30 minutes of answering some questions related to your experience. Then, there was an in-person interview for 2.5 hours with 5 interviewers. For me, it was just two in-person full 30 minutes/person interview. One was a telepresence interview, one couldn't make it, and the other just asked me if I had any other questions. The next part of the interview was to give a demonstration of your training/presentation skill and if you pass, an interview iwth the Sr.VP.

Interview Questions
    • When I was asked what three things I would try to focus on when facilitating a training session for one leader vs. a group of leaders.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at AppNexus.

Very friendly; warm. It was an enjoyable experience and the interviewers all took a genuine interest in all of the applicants. They asked questions first about items on my resume, and then asked questions testing my knowledge of the ad tech industry, so it pays to study up on your material beforehand. Also, be able to verbalize why you'd like to work at AppNexus specifically.

Interview Questions
    • They said there was going to be no case study, and one of the interviewers presented a case study.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at AppNexus in April 2014.

Applied online, which quickly led to a phone call with HR. Soon after had a phone call with the hiring manager and talked about my background and knowledge of the industry; 30min nothing technical. After some coordination of schedules, went into HQ with 5 back to back 1:1 interviews. These interviews ranged from technical to behavioral. Everything was super casual and seemed like an offer/fit from the first interview.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to walk through resume and answer 'why' decisions were made at critical junctures. Interviewer didn't accept 1st response and pushed for most fundamental truth.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AppNexus.

Quick interview process, but thorough.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you were unable to please a client, but had to settle the expectations.   View Answer
    A phone call with negotiation.