AppNexus

Updated Jan 8, 2015
Updated Jan 8, 2015

3.3

Director, Strategic Execution Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at AppNexus.

I applied for this position through The Ladders. The position sounded interesting on its own, and when I looked into the company itself they seemed pretty leading edge with a funky culture, which I'd definitely enjoy. About a week after the application I got an email from their internal recruiter to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager, which was a pretty intense half-hour talk. About a week after that I got an email from a different internal recruiter to set up a phone interview with another director-level direct report for the same hiring manager, which had a more casual feel but was still pretty thorough.

Finally, a couple of days after the second phone interview, I got an email from a third internal recruiter that they wouldn't be moving forward.

Software Engineer - DevOps Team Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at AppNexus.

Applied through University. First was just a general phone interview (previous experience, why do you wanna work here etc.) Next was another phone interview with a technical problem and them asking you what challenges AppNexus and the entire Ad industry faces in the future. Final round was on site with four different interviews. First was testing your knowledge of the online advertisement industry, second was to explain a challenging technical concept to the interviewer, third was talking about a previous project and the details of it, and fourth was a technical question. Heard back within a week after that that I didnt get it

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too bad, I just screwed up the technical questions   Answer Question

Associate Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AppNexus in December 2014.

Started with a phone screener, followed by an on-site interview (which consisted of five one-hour interviews), then a quick half hour interview with an executive in the department. Really friendly people, nice office and location. Interview questions were mostly behavioral, though some of the interviewers had more of a focus on technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • How much money does an individual person (average consumer) make for AppNexus per year?   Answer Question

Software Engineer - Business Systems(2015 Graduate Only) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AppNexus in November 2014.

First a phone interview. The question was fairly easy. Then they brought me onsite. First round a data modeling question, then one round of behavior question for around 40 min, then 2 rounds of coding question. The first coding question was easy, but the second was not, which requires topology sorting. I screwed the second one.

Account Manager Interview

The process started with a resume drop, which followed up with a first and second round phone call/SKype, culminating in an all-day superday at their corporate headquarters in the Flatiron district in New York City.

Interview Questions
    • Interesting business case that was about a company thinking about entering a new market in a foreign country with heavier regulations   Answer Question

Software Engineer - Web Services (New Grad) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AppNexus in October 2014.

Shortly after submitting my resume online, I got an email from a recruiter asking to schedule a phone interview with me. I expected the interview was going to be a typical screening with a recruiter (since that's how these things almost always go), but instead I got a surprise technical interview with the team lead. It was fairly easy though -- just a couple of typical programming questions, although one required specific knowledge of a mathematical operation.

I was then asked for another phone interview -- this one lasted only 15 minutes, with a recruiter explaining that she wanted to schedule an onsite interview for the Portland office where I applied. They paid for a one-night stay at a decent hotel, as well as $100 in travel expenses.

I had four rounds of technical interviews. The first was with the guy I interviewed with during my first phone interview -- again, he asked me fairly standard, albeit tougher interview questions. The second asked me to take an hour to explain a technical concept to him on a whiteboard. The third spent an hour to quiz me on a technology I do not know and never said I know, SQL. The fourth spent an hour on one standard but really tough programming question.

Here's the catch: three out of the four interviewers did not meet with me in person. I was set up through a teleconferencing system, and there were some major technical issues that impeded my performance in the interviews. Not a single interviewer was someone I would have daily in-person interaction with.

Two business days later, I was rudely given a phone call (yes, a phone call... seriously?) from a recruiter telling me they didn't want me.

Interview Questions
    • How would you implement an autocomplete search feature?   Answer Question

Associate Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at AppNexus.

Was referred by current employee so went through accelerated hiring process. Started with basic phone screen (behavioral/fit), then was invited to NYC offices for "blitz day" - 4 back to back interviews, 1 case. 3 behavioral interviews were fairly straight forward and each were with 1-2 different team members. Case was kind of strange and seemed like it would be ineffective at measuring any kind of business acumen. No breaks for lunch which made sitting in a conference room for 4.5 hours a bit exhausting

Interview Questions
    • If you had a client trying to pivot from one market to another, what would you do?   Answer Question

X Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at AppNexus.

I applied online and was contacted by the HR in about 3 weeks. The first round was supposed to be an HR screening. The HR contacted me over the phone 20 minutes late (for what was supposed to be a 30 minute interview) and seemed impatient towards the end of my "Tell me about yourself" description. She then tells me that they felt I do not have the necessary experience for role X and that they have been considering me for role Y instead.

I turned down further interview rounds as I had no desire to pursue role Y (I have no experience whatsoever in role Y and hence not sure how they figured I'd be better at it). Had they let me know this over email before scheduling the interview, I could have saved half a day's leave at my present employer. I definitely expected more professionalism from an industry leader such as AppNexus.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AppNexus in September 2014.

The interview started with a phone call with a recruiter and another session of coding screen. The latter went well and for some reason I was recommended to another team so another round of same process. A few days later I was told I did well and was smoothly arranged for an onsite. The question s were ok for me, not too hard but not trivial either. I answered them pretty well except one round of db question, which I didn't prepare and hadn't used for 2-3 years.
    Eventually I was told I was close but didn't make it, which was ok for me as I had offers on hand, it was just a matter of picking the most suitable company.

A little interest point is I have difficulty to get reimbursement on qualified expense, which was communicated to me before the onsite. It was promised but so far not honored by the company. I contacted the recruiter about the reimbursement and one month has passed and no reply and no check. For me it is a disappointment, and more importantly, how a company treats candidates post-interview, is a pretty accurate barometer to tell a seeming-good company from a real great one...

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at AppNexus in September 2014.

Initial Phone Interview. Interviewer was very pleasant. Reached out to me via online submission for initial phone interview of about 20 minutes. Appeared very positive on the company. Asked about resume skills and shared about the company. Some interesting questions asked that were not background related.

Interview Questions
    • some technical questions and some more ethereal questions.   Answer Question