Apparatus

7 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Technology Analyst Interview

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Apparatus in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, and I was quite surprised because I was contacted by a recruiter almost immediately after doing so. The interview process consisted of only 2 scheduled interviews. The initial interview was with the recruiter, and was basically just standard behavioral questions along with getting an idea of which group/team I'd fit on. Based on my skills and experience, they set up a second interview over Skype, with the leader of one of the specialized teams and the director of operations. This interview was suppose to be technical, however only half the questions were.

They really want to get a sense of your personality, and make sure you'd be a good fit on the team. If you're friendly, ambitious, and know your field well you will not have issues with their interview process. Everyone I meet and talked to during this process was very friendly, and gave me the same respect back.

Interview Question – Most questions were behavioral, and the interviews were all conversational and not scripted.
The technical questions will be based on your experience. For example if you're into web development: What is MVC, and elaborate on the benefits of this design
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The compensation offered was below average for college graduates in the field. Along with that, they are growing very fast which tells me their current employees may be commonly overworked without overtime pay. I attempted to argue a more justifiable base pay, however they were not willing to budge. They look to keep all college grads "on the same playing field".

I decided to accept an offer with a larger company which doesn't have a problem investing more in its employees from the start.

Summer Intern Interview

Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Apparatus in October 2013.

Interview Details – Selected to go to an Intern Night after meeting with representatives at a career fair. The place itself is rather nice. It was after hours, but the atmosphere seemed really cool and this company loves new technology and electronics. They have Nest Thermostats, 3D printers, Apple TV's connected to every TV just because! However, the hiring process was different. Like other people have posted on here, my interviewer did pull out his phone and start texting while we were talking. It was a 1 on 1 interview and it was really unprofessional and rude. After the intern night, they never got back to me as to whether I was accepted or denied, even after I emailed HR for an answer. As a company, they seem pretty cool, but I'm not too sold about some of the people that work there.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult. I remember he asked "When you enter a search query into Google, what happens?" So basically explain how the internet works.   Answer Question

Systems Analyst Interview

Systems Analyst
Indianapolis, IN

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Apparatus in April 2012.

Interview Details – This Started with a head hunt from an individual that got hired into apparatus because they were able to slip through a non-competition agreement.

After a phone interview I was put in front of 5 managers so they could see which team I would fit on. They are not looking to fill actual company needs just hire individuals. There has been no dramatic influx in clients to account for the hiring.

Interview Question – There weren't any "hard" questions. Typical interview. They need bodies more than skills.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Most of their money comes from government funds. This is why they have to hire full-time employees and not project work. Short-Term this would be an ok place to work. Long-Term the benefits aren't that great and the government funding with dry up.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT Interview

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Apparatus in February 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume on the company website (I submitted a general application/resume not for any specific position) and about a month later the company recruiter contacted me. I had an initial phone interview followed by two in person interviews. The interviews were unprofessional and uncomfortable in my opinion. Nobody ever did provide me with a specific job description/timeline/or idea of what they were looking for, the meetings seemed very rushed and unstructured, and nobody even took notes. Additionally, their cell phones went off multiple times while the interview was in progress and they seemed to be more interested in the workings and activities of my current company than they were in my skills or qualifications. I knew they were not really serious about hiring me when the recruiter asked in the second interview how my job search was going and if I had found anything yet. About a week after the second interview I got the "thanks but no thanks" generic email from the recruiter.

I have to agree that this company and I probably would have been a bad match based on the way their interviews were handled. I really got the feeling they were not looking to hire unless they just happened to stumble upon someone that blew their socks off. They need to be more clear on their process, culture and what they are looking for from the start to save time for both them and potential job candidates.

I'm not suggesting anyone avoid this company but I would be sure to get as many details from the recruiter as you can before taking time to go in for an actual interview.

Interview Question – What technology projects are you currently working on outside of the workplace.   Answer Question

BI Systems Analyst Interview

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Apparatus in February 2012.

Interview Details – Let me be the first to say that I'm a veteran Glassdoor user and have never been one to "flame" a company. That said, I have never been to a less professionally run interview than my recent interview with Apparatus. I was stunned by the lack of professionalism during every step of the recruitment process, but particularly the interview.

I originally applied to a position in mid-December and didn't receive a call-back for well over a month. During this time, I had already completed a recruitment cycle and received an offer from another consulting firm, but I was still interested in Apparatus. I tried to write off the protracted delay because I knew that this was a small, young company with limited resources. When my recruiter contacted me, we immediately jumped into an interview. While I was a bit taken aback from this, it went well enough; I was invited for an in-office interview.

The actual interview began with my recruiter, a team member and a hiring manager. The interview was conversational and rather informal. Approximately 10 minutes into the interview, the CTO decided he would make an appearance. Not only were the CTO and team member clearly disinterested in the interview, they had their phones out during the remainder of the interview and were texting while I was answering questions. Neither even tried to hide the fact that they were texting (I do not believe they were texting each other). I've been through many interviews and am familiar with a wide variety of interviewing techniques, whether it's situation-based questions or being argumentative to see how a candidate responds, but I have never been personally disrespected or ignored. It was at this point I legitimately considered walking out of the interview as I have no intention of working for a company whose executive leadership display either disrespect or incompetence.

I e-mailed my recruiter to ask her to pull me from consideration and accepted the other offer. I know Apparatus is a young company whose aggressive expansion is certain to cause some growing pains, but that doesn't excuse the conduct of your senior leadership. I would recommend an etiquette course in talent acquisition and interviewing.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite restaurant in Bloomington? (CTO question)   View Answer
  • Describe what ETL/DW tools you have experience with?   View Answer

IT Position Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Apparatus in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an outside recruiter after updating my resume on a job board. After the initial conversation with him I was then forwarded to their internal recruiter to have a phone conversation.

The conversation with her was a basic one to get a feel for if I would be a fit for the company based on resume/personality. I then got scheduled for a face to face. I will state after reading a few other comments here I was a little up in the air on what to expect.

My first face to face was a great experience. As others have said, they do not interview you for a specific position, they try to get a feel for where you would fit. The first people have interviewed a large number of people and it showed they were comfortable interviewing people. I have told others that this is was my favorite interview I have ever had. A couple quirky questions, but it went really well.

The second face to face was with members of one of their teams. To me it felt like they were trying to get a feel to see if I would fit in with the group. The interview went pretty well. No real curves balls, but they were trying to get a feel for what my "passion" was and where I saw myself in my career.

The third face to face did not really go well. It was with another one of the groups and didn't fit my experience level. I believe I was in this interview because I mentioned in the 2nd face to face that down the road I may want to head into this path. This interview was similar to the someone else's where they felt the interviewers were trying to feel out their current work structure. I even had the guy that had his phone go off and he checked it. I knew after this interview I would get an offer.

Overall, I enjoyed the process and they seem like a nice place to work depending on the group. They seem to promote training/certifications as their product is their staff and know they need to make them marketable.
I will mark the interview as average, but all but the last one were very easy.

Interview Question – General questions pertaining to the group you were meeting with, nothing difficult if you have the experience.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Apparatus in March 2011.

Interview Details – Asked basic questions expect , What is one perception that people have of you that is not true.

Interview Question – what is one perception that most people of have you that is not true or that you don't want them to think   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Apparatus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apparatus interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Apparatus employees and interview candidates.