Apparatus Interview Questions

Updated May 30, 2015

3.1

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Apparatus (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

Involved interviewing on-site with a few managers, and a few team leads. Everyone was very friendly and it was a positive experience. They have a very nice office.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Apparatus (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

I participated in the New College Graduate hiring process. I really enjoyed the process. The individuals I interviewed with over the phone and in person were very friendly. The process began with a phone interview. The phone interview was conducted by a recruiter. After the phone interview, I was asked to participate in the group process. The group process gave me the opportunity to talk with existing employees and learn what the work week is typically like. It also allowed me to develop an understanding of the company culture and determine how the culture aligned with my personality. The process included interaction with the other applicants in a group setting. All in all, the experience was enjoyable and informative.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were behavioral. There were also some questions about the basics of database management.   Answer Question

Prefer Not to Answer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apparatus (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

The hiring process was good and direct. One minor complain is that they could have been a little more communicative or quick to respond to my questions. I was able to meet with some of the people I'd be working for, but not a lot of people I'd be working with. This may have been for anonymity on their end, but it would have been nice to meet more of the team before I left. The process was solid, though, and overall fair.

Interview Questions

• More focused on personal life than other IT companies. Lots of passions and hobby questions. They want people who want to work with people and not be alone in a quiet room.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apparatus (Indianapolis, IN) in December 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very relaxed and inviting. After participating in a phone interview I was asked to come and meet for a face-to-face . Unlike most interviews where you get to meet 1 or 2 of the employees I was able to speak and interact with multiple employees. The atmosphere they provided was very welcoming and made me feel comfortable, allowing me to answer questions with a lot less anxiety than previous interviews I have participated in.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult questions asked during the interview are one regarding my technical skills   Answer Question

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apparatus (Indianapolis, IN) in November 2014.

Interview

Being a recent grad, the process was slightly different than normal. All graduates were interviewed in a rotating interviewer/interviewee fashion (individually). The interviews were productive but the overall process was quite vague. I made it to a second interview and did not hear back for 2 months, which was unfortunate considering the response was a no. All in all though the atmosphere and company seemed fantastic.

Interview Questions

• The questions were quite specific. The most difficult was a question concerning terminal/prompts on linux operating systems.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Apparatus in August 2014.

Interview

The first interview was a phone screen and went very well. The HR specialist was very nice and polite. She asked me light technical questions (bird's eye view questions) and about some of my personal interests / hobbies. Nothing really difficult or surprising - I was asked about any new technologies I was getting into.

The second interview was a little different. I met with the HR specialist and the technical manager, plus one other senior level technician. The senior technician I was supposed to meet was replaced at the last minute. Overall, the interview was conducted in a very respectful and constructive manner. They delved deeply into my background and asked quite a few technical questions. It felt like they were trying gauge my interests and familiarity in various technical disciplines. The odd part of the interview was that I wasn't applying for any specific job. They said that they were looking at filling several different roles and did things a little more fluidly and differently with their hiring.

Ultimately, nothing came of the interview. I got the standard "thanks, we'll keep your resume on file for future reference", which was totally fine with me.

Interview Questions

• There really wasn't anything overly challenging - just had to know my server hardware and SATA RAID configurations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Apparatus (Indianapolis, IN) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied online, and I was quite surprised because I was contacted by a recruiter almost immediately after doing so. The interview process consisted of only 2 scheduled interviews. The initial interview was with the recruiter, and was basically just standard behavioral questions along with getting an idea of which group/team I'd fit on. Based on my skills and experience, they set up a second interview over Skype, with the leader of one of the specialized teams and the director of operations. This interview was suppose to be technical, however only half the questions were.

They really want to get a sense of your personality, and make sure you'd be a good fit on the team. If you're friendly, ambitious, and know your field well you will not have issues with their interview process. Everyone I meet and talked to during this process was very friendly, and gave me the same respect back.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were behavioral, and the interviews were all conversational and not scripted.
      The technical questions will be based on your experience. For example if you're into web development: What is MVC, and elaborate on the benefits of this design

Answer Question

The compensation offered was below average for college graduates in the field. Along with that, they are growing very fast which tells me their current employees may be commonly overworked without overtime pay. I attempted to argue a more justifiable base pay, however they were not willing to budge. They look to keep all college grads "on the same playing field".

I decided to accept an offer with a larger company which doesn't have a problem investing more in its employees from the start.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apparatus (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2013.

Interview

Selected to go to an Intern Night after meeting with representatives at a career fair. The place itself is rather nice. It was after hours, but the atmosphere seemed really cool and this company loves new technology and electronics. They have Nest Thermostats, 3D printers, Apple TV's connected to every TV just because! However, the hiring process was different. Like other people have posted on here, my interviewer did pull out his phone and start texting while we were talking. It was a 1 on 1 interview and it was really unprofessional and rude. After the intern night, they never got back to me as to whether I was accepted or denied, even after I emailed HR for an answer. As a company, they seem pretty cool, but I'm not too sold about some of the people that work there.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult. I remember he asked "When you enter a search query into Google, what happens?" So basically explain how the internet works.   Answer Question

BI Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Apparatus (Indianapolis, IN) in February 2012.

Interview

Let me be the first to say that I'm a veteran Glassdoor user and have never been one to "flame" a company. That said, I have never been to a less professionally run interview than my recent interview with Apparatus. I was stunned by the lack of professionalism during every step of the recruitment process, but particularly the interview.

I originally applied to a position in mid-December and didn't receive a call-back for well over a month. During this time, I had already completed a recruitment cycle and received an offer from another consulting firm, but I was still interested in Apparatus. I tried to write off the protracted delay because I knew that this was a small, young company with limited resources. When my recruiter contacted me, we immediately jumped into an interview. While I was a bit taken aback from this, it went well enough; I was invited for an in-office interview.

The actual interview began with my recruiter, a team member and a hiring manager. The interview was conversational and rather informal. Approximately 10 minutes into the interview, the CTO decided he would make an appearance. Not only were the CTO and team member clearly disinterested in the interview, they had their phones out during the remainder of the interview and were texting while I was answering questions. Neither even tried to hide the fact that they were texting (I do not believe they were texting each other). I've been through many interviews and am familiar with a wide variety of interviewing techniques, whether it's situation-based questions or being argumentative to see how a candidate responds, but I have never been personally disrespected or ignored. It was at this point I legitimately considered walking out of the interview as I have no intention of working for a company whose executive leadership display either disrespect or incompetence.

I e-mailed my recruiter to ask her to pull me from consideration and accepted the other offer. I know Apparatus is a young company whose aggressive expansion is certain to cause some growing pains, but that doesn't excuse the conduct of your senior leadership. I would recommend an etiquette course in talent acquisition and interviewing.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite restaurant in Bloomington? (CTO question)   1 Answer
    • Describe what ETL/DW tools you have experience with?   1 Answer

IT Position Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Apparatus in May 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by an outside recruiter after updating my resume on a job board. After the initial conversation with him I was then forwarded to their internal recruiter to have a phone conversation.

The conversation with her was a basic one to get a feel for if I would be a fit for the company based on resume/personality. I then got scheduled for a face to face. I will state after reading a few other comments here I was a little up in the air on what to expect.

My first face to face was a great experience. As others have said, they do not interview you for a specific position, they try to get a feel for where you would fit. The first people have interviewed a large number of people and it showed they were comfortable interviewing people. I have told others that this is was my favorite interview I have ever had. A couple quirky questions, but it went really well.

The second face to face was with members of one of their teams. To me it felt like they were trying to get a feel to see if I would fit in with the group. The interview went pretty well. No real curves balls, but they were trying to get a feel for what my "passion" was and where I saw myself in my career.

The third face to face did not really go well. It was with another one of the groups and didn't fit my experience level. I believe I was in this interview because I mentioned in the 2nd face to face that down the road I may want to head into this path. This interview was similar to the someone else's where they felt the interviewers were trying to feel out their current work structure. I even had the guy that had his phone go off and he checked it. I knew after this interview I would get an offer.

Overall, I enjoyed the process and they seem like a nice place to work depending on the group. They seem to promote training/certifications as their product is their staff and know they need to make them marketable.
    I will mark the interview as average, but all but the last one were very easy.

Interview Questions

• General questions pertaining to the group you were meeting with, nothing difficult if you have the experience.   Answer Question