Appian Interview Questions

Updated Feb 13, 2015
Updated Feb 13, 2015

Consultant (Business Process Management Solutions) Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Appian.

5 interviews. what are some metrics we should be looking at for a company that sells shoes. Other interviews were behavioral in nature. Why do you want to work here? How will your background help you be successful in this job? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? They asked about time management skills and how I approach problem solving.

Interview Questions
    • what are some metrics we should be looking at for a company that sells shoes. Other interviews were behavioral in nature. Why do you want to work here? How will your background help you be successful in this job? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? They asked about time management skills and how I approach problem solving.   Answer Question

Android Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Appian.

Asked me to implement a very simple program about deck of cards and gave me 3 days to complete. Even though I wrote the program with documentation and test cases, handling boundary cases, I was rejected. They said in their email that they do not have appropriate position for me.

Associate IT Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Appian.

The process took about a month. First got contacted by HR and had a phone interview with them. Then had a phone interview with the Director of IT a few days later. The third interview was then on site. This is where it got weird...when I got there I met with two IT engineers, they asked a few behavioral questions and technical questions. The first guy seemed very nervous to be talking to me and didn't seem to be very interested. The third person was the director of IT again. Everything was going well then when I finished with him I had to go down to meet with a VP, but then was told that I would need to come back because he had a sudden "work emergency"(I was also supposed to meet with a few more people after that), which I totally understand.

However, HR told me they would contact me the same week (it was a Monday) and they never did. The following week they sent a email saying they were not interested. I think it was very poor how they conducted the whole final phase of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Just review behavioral questions, know active directory   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Appian.

Process took around a month -- applied online. Had typical phone screen, then two more rounds of phone interviews. First one was very logic heavy, and second was coding online

Interview Questions
    Offered very high wages for intern!

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Appian.

Applied through campus recruiting. Interviewing was straightforward. I had a vague interest in the company and was asked to interview after speaking with them through my college. They could see through my interview that I had little interest in software and technology.

Interview Questions
    • How can you prove to us that you're excited about technology?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Appian.

Contacted through on campus recruiting. Scheduled a phone interview for the week after. Around 45 minutes in length. Stepped over resume for the first 15 minutes or so before going into a technical question. Not very difficult or tricky, basic algorithms and data structures. Make sure you know how to talk about the different points on your resume and have reviewed how to code in your language of choice (java or c++ normally).

Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Appian.

The interview process was one that I couldn't even get off the ground with their recruiting department after applying online. Approximately a week after applying for the position I received a reply that they were interested, I lined up well with the position, and they wanted to move forward with the standard phone screen. After that, things went poorly with their recruiting department. We went back-and-forth with some possible times that I could speak with them in private, as I was currently employed in the same role with another company. That back-and-forth can be expected because of the situation, though it did take longer to iron out than with any other company that was actively reaching out to me.

Once we had scheduled the appointment and I locked that down in my schedule, I stepped away from the office for the call at the agreed upon time. They did not give me their contact information and had agreed to call me during that time, but never did. After waiting for 20 minutes,then I returned back to the office for a scheduled meeting I had for after the phone screen. I received a call approximately 45 after the scheduled start of the interview, after returning to the office with an apology from the recruiter that things had spilled over for them and that they couldn't make the call. However, they did want to speak with me, though I couldn't have the call at that point in time obviously.

We went through the back-and-forth again to schedule another time and locked a window of time down that I could speak privately to them during standard business hours that they stated they were available. I once again stepped away from the office during that window and waited for the call. After almost 20 minutes passed this time, without a call from the recruiter, In response I called them (I had gotten the recruiter's number this time, though they had stated they would call me for this one also). However, upon calling the recruiter I only got their voicemail. I honestly cannot remember if I left a voicemail or not at that time, because I was taken back by this person once again just missing an appointment we had scheduled.

The next day I followed up with an email that regretfully I did not feel the opportunity with this company may be right for me, though I am regretful that we haven't gotten to talk during any of ours scheduled times in order to better clarify the details of the position. I never received any follow up or apology after once again having missed a scheduled time with me.

Overall I had been excited about the company/culture, its mission, and what I felt was a position that fit well with my career/skills. I almost took the time to find, and reach out to, someone at the equivalent position of the recruiter that had been working with me. However, I feel that this pattern of behavior didn't speak well of the company, even if it may have not be reflective of all parts/divisions of the company. Though I hope it was not rude of me in any way, this is the only time in my 15 year career that I've turned down a company I first reached out to before even making it to a phone screen/interview.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing during these attempted stages of the process that were difficult, other than actually trying to lock down a recruiter for their agreed upon appointment.   Answer Question

Appian Response

Nov 18, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your honest and detailed review of the interview process. Please do be sure that this is not at all reflective of our normal recruiting procedures and timelines. As the Recruiting ... More

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Appian in February 2014.

The interview process involved 6 separate one-on-one interviews with various levels of management. The questions ranged from a few brain teasers to typical behavioral questions.
    One brain teaser involved using two hour glasses, one that takes 7 minutes to drain and another that takes 11 minutes to drain, to determine how to time 15 minutes continuously.

Interview Questions
    • Two hour glasses brain teaser. See above.   View Answer
    Negotiations were open and fair. It was actually a very pleasant process.

Intern Interview

I applied online and had two phone interviews

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember being any extremely hard, they just took a while to think about.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Appian.

Normal interview, with behavioral questions.
    Skills test for Java.

What was your hardest project?