Apple Apple At Home Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015
Updated Apr 10, 2015

2.9

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

This was absolutely the worst interview experience I've ever had, and I've been on several interviews in my life. Typically, if I can get an interview, the rest is easy.

I am 50 years old, college educated and have 30 years of Windows-based tech support experience and 25 years of customer service experience. My experience with Apple products? Very minimal, as stated on my resume and application. I can typically figure out Apple issues quickly if I can physically troubleshoot the item or research the product or process and come up with a fix.

The first recruiter was blown away by my demeanor and dedication to customer service. Within minutes, he told me he was moving me on to the second interview and told me to not worry so much about the technical side since that will be taught in training. Because of my background, I almost laughed at this. He stressed the customer service/empathy side.

The second interview (via web cam) a week later started with asking about my views about customer service. Things were going well -- until the role-playing part. Instead of asking universal tech support questions so I could demonstrate my troubleshooting skills, the recruiter decided to present me with issues specifically related to Apple products and processes. One was troubleshooting for the "Time Capsule." I never even heard of the product until this interview.

I did the excellent customer service part and then had to stop and admit to the recruiter I don't have any familiarity with the product in order to ask pertinent questions (beyond "Is it on? Is it plugged in?). He was visibly annoyed (he actually rolled his eyes). I quickly Googled "Time Capsule" and started to scan the page and the interviewer impatiently cleared his throat. Taken aback, I attempted to explain I was taking a quick look at the product specs and he talked (or rather barked) over me scolding me for not knowing how to ask probing questions. ???? There's no way for a person to ask specific probing troubleshooting questions about a product they've never heard of. Apparently not satisfied with his first round of "I'm an Apple expert and you're not," he gave me another scenario -- again something Apple-specific. And no surprise, he was equally disappointed by my lack of thorough knowledge.

After that, the interviewer was done with me and began to close the interview. When I tried to assure him of my work history and ability to learn new products quickly, I got another eyeroll and the classic "We'll let you know either way" response. It was like being in grade school, showing up for a spelling test and then finding out 5 minutes into class that it's a geometry test -- and you've never actually had a geometry class.

If the job description had read "intermediate to advanced knowledge of specific Apple products," I would have never applied. Being that so many others indicated they had "easy/relaxed" interviews with simple or no role-playing, I can only assume that the recruiter made his decision about me as soon as he saw a 50-year-old man on the web cam. I hate to play that card, but it's the only thing that would even make sense of this entire bizarre experience.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple (Rock Hill, SC) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online March 6, 2015. I received an email from a recruiter on March 25, 2015 requesting that I complete an online questionnaire after her review of my resume. I immediately completed the questionnaire, and received a call from the recruiter within 20 minutes of submission. She was very friendly and quite bubbly, so the conversation started off on a really good note. She asked me some general questions regarding what kind of basic troubleshooting questions I'd ask if someone told me their mobile device wouldn't power on. She also reviewed the salary for the position, training start date/duration, as well as a brief summary of the position's requirements. After agreeing to all, she moved me forward to a 2nd interview with another recruiter, which I did online with a software program called Hirevue, video conferencing similar to FaceTime or Skype. My interview with the 2nd recruiter was 2 days after the phone screen, on a Friday afternoon. He was very laid back, extremely friendly and made me feel completely at ease the whole time. He recapped all of the details of the job responsibilities, training and salary just as the first recruiter had done, then went into some basic customer service questions. We did a brief chat simulation, and we touched just a little on technical support. This interview lasted about 25 minutes, and he told me that he was moving me forward in the hiring process and was recommending me for a 3rd and final interview with a team manager. I accepted the interview, and I received an email invitation on Monday evening. I followed the link in the email which brought me to Apple's online scheduling system, and selected Wednesday. The team manager was also very friendly and warm, and he covered all the basics just as the 2 recruiters had done before getting into the meat of the interview. This interview, also done within Hirevue, was a bit more in depth, as he did very little talking. He wanted specific details and examples as answers to his questions, and kept his poker face very well, which was slightly intimidating. We also did a chat simulation, which I flubbed on, because we were supposed to be simulating 2 chat conversations but it was all within one window, which confused me and I ended up making an error in response. This interview was about 45 minutes long, and I honestly didn't feel as confident in myself as I had after the first two.

It's really important to know that Apple is huge on stellar customer service. All the advice you read on here that tells you to show empathy and really stress your customer service skills is true. Apple is not focusing on your skillset so much as they want to know that you are there for the customer, and that you are able to grasp at least some basic technical processes. Make sure that when you fill out the application online, you are truthful about your experience with Apple products and/or computer technology. I believe they will use your answers to determine the types of questions they asked you. I have very little experience with Apple products, and I said so in my application/questionnaire, so those questions about RAM, hard drive, CPU, IMAP V POP3 email never came up...I'm pretty sure they match the questions with the candidate. So, be honest!!!

I completed my 3rd and final interview 2 days ago, and I was told I would receive a call with their decision sometime at the top of next week. Instead, I received a call from a recruiter this morning, and she offered me the position contingent upon my successful completion of a background check. Assuming everything checks out, I will start with Apple on May 11th!

Interview Questions

• What's more important, fixing the customer's problem or creating a good customer experience?   3 Answers

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple (Reno, NV) in February 2015.

Interview

I had 2 interviews with them the first is pretty standard and the second skype with a second interviewer. She was nice and asked many questions about time requirements and technical information known.

Interview Questions

• I was given a roll play question about being on the beach after wedding and iphone might have gotten wet   3 Answers

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Apple.

Interview

The first interview was great. Very laid back, really the recruiter is trying to get to know the interviewee. I got a 2nd interview immediately. I then listened to a webinar on more information about the job at home and how the process generally works. I am so far pretty happy with the whole experience. I used the LAST strategy for answering question. Listen Apologize Solve and Thank. Best way to really improve customer service and make the customer happy with their experience.

Interview Questions

• How well do you manage your time?   2 Answers

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Interview

Initial communications with Apple staff was awesome. They were very polite and allowed me to be me without intimidation. The interview process was very in depth and tested your knowledge not only of technical process but also about customer service skills. It was one of the most nerve wrecking experiences, but the people were an absolute joy!

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Take calls to resolve customer issues, including all Apple products, wireless routers, cable modems etc. Great job benefits and I work from home. Just walk down stairs and I'm at work.

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple (Roseville, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

First interview was just a brief phone call from a hiring manager, then I got an e-mail to schedule the face time interview. It was about 5 days from the registration date. Interviewer was nice and very informal. I read all possible questions on glass door, which helped me to prepare better. Try to answer directly to the question, be clear and specific, show that you are enthusiastic about the offered position, don't get too nervous, and be friendly. I am waiting for my third face time interview, it should be in no longer than 2 weeks from now.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer pretended to be a customer and said: My data is lost, my device is broken and doesn't light up, I can't access my email... etc. What would you do if every possible solution you offered to the customer has failed?   1 Answer
    • I will tell you a problem with a device and you just tell me questions you would ask the person to help fix them as well as possible solutions. He asked about troubles with email and internet connection.   1 Answer
    • What do you think is the most challenging part about working from home, how would you overcome it?   Answer Question

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Apple (Pensacola, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and had a total of three interviews. The first two were with recruiters and were similar they focused on customer service as well as technical, but the focus was more on customer service

The interviewers were pleasant and instantly put me at ease

I was offered the position based on my background check clearing. That took about a week to clear.

Overall a good experience

Interview Questions

• A customer lost all of her photos from her iPhone. Wasn't sure how it happened but they were gone   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Apple (Atlanta, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

3 interview process. first 5 min interview (phone), 2nd interview 15-20mins with some role playing (FaceTime), and 3rd interview 35-40min with mostly role playing (FaceTime). I was told after the 3rd interview that someone would contact me with their decision within in two weeks. The two week period would be over in about 2 days and I haven't heard anything yet.

Interview Questions

• customer calls in says battery died and now they cant connect their iPhone to bluetooth.   1 Answer

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Apple in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who was professional and kind. We went over my relevant skill set to determine if I would be a good fit. I am now in the process of my second more formal interview which I was told would be via Skype and would last about 30 minutes. Very much looking forward to it and will provide feedback once accomplished.