Apple

Updated Oct 10, 2014
Updated Oct 10, 2014

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Apple Genius Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple in September 2014.

I applied to an open 'Genius' position in August because of my background in customer service and computers. I got an email a few weeks later inviting me to a hiring event. The store that I applied to was about three hours away but I figured the average salary for the position would be worth it to move. So I went to the hiring event. I got some weird vibes from the manager. I dunno why. Everyone else was awesome.

We filled out a short questionaire, then we watched a bunch of videos about Apple careers. Then they sat us in groups and asked some basic interview questions like "Describe a time you dealt with a difficult customer". After that the let us go home. The process was a couple hours, five hours for me if you count my drive time.

Exactly two weeks later, I got an email asking me if I was available for an interview at a particular store. I confirmed I was available. Oops. I figured I would hear back with more information. I did not. I researched the store, and the ratings were not very good. I already agreed to an interview and I didn't want to blow it off for obvious reasons. But when a store has bad ratings, or just decent ratings, it usually is because of the mismanagement. It kind of sucks knowing that your wasting your time after you agree to something. I took the three hour drive anyway just to say I did it.

I showed up early, and there was a huge line. The "bouncer" showed me where to wait. While doing so, I was approached by a woman whose phone would update to no end. I referred her to a real employee. Then a guy finally came and we went outside because they don't have a back room.

During our interview, I would get alot of weird blank stares. It made it really weird to the point of it was hard to look at him. At the end he came to the conclusion that I was a match for a different position than what I applied for altogether. I left the store very disappointed and took the three hour drive back home. Three days later, I got a generic email that said they went with someone else. Big shocker.

A couple of weeks later, I saw an opening for that recommended position, which was on an "as needed" basis. Probably minimum wage. I was really hoping I wasn't wasting my time and money. I feel a little manipulated. I think the job description could have saved us both some time. Because it was so vague, I applied to something that I shouldn't have. Now, I'm not sure I can work for a company that does this to people. The way I see it, Tim Cook owes me.

Interview Questions
  • What I would do if I had no resources to complete a job?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Apple in August 2014.

After applying online, called to a store in Dallas, with 50 other applicants and hiring managers from 4 stores. Watched videos that emphasized how important Apple employees are. Then split up into groups where we answered questions in a circle. They were looking for how well you fit in the group.

Apple Genius Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Apple in March 2014.

Took 3 days. I received a phone interview in the morning. asked questions like tell me about yourself ? When did you fail at a task and how did you handle the situation ? Tell me about u exprience in customer service

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Apple in September 2013.

I applied online and was invited to a group interview. The group interview sucked, everybody interrupted each other, and they seem to have a favoritism for current Starbucks employees. I applied for a sales position or genius one but instead was offered a family room specialist one which I wasn't interested in.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer was personally rude to you?   Answer Question

Because the pay was low.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Apple in January 2010.

After repeadely calling the store to try to get a hold of a hiring manager, I finally scored an interview. I walked into the store 15 minutes early; the manager later remaked how impressed he was about that since everyone came in 5 mins or less. Honestly? It's a cardinal rule to ALWAYS come at least 15 minutes early. Anyway, he took me to a rest area in the mall and we went over my employment history, why I wanted to work for Apple, experience with Apple products, etc. Interview lasted about 30-40 minutes and the guy was blown away by me. Basically...dress nice and convince the guy/girl/group that you LOVE Apple and there is NO PLACE else you'd rather work (without coming off as fake). So, I got a second interview with the Lead Genius and the head of the Family Room Specialists. I'd rather have the Genius spot, but if I have to "get my foot in the door" by taking the FRS, then I'll do it.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle a difficult customer service experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple in January 2009.

Initial contact was by phone. After general conversation, a followup call was about my skills. I was asked specific questions about hardware and software. Some were very technical, but I was prepared. After phone interviews, I was called in to the San Francisco store and after an intro to about 12 of us, I did a 1 on 1 interview inside a closed office, which I thought went well. I then did a roll-play interview with a "customer" and was evaluated on how I handled it. I did well.

In the end, I did not receive a job offer. Perhaps I was over qualified or they thought I would not be a good fit with the team. I'm just speculating. Of course, they do not tell you why.

Interview Questions
    • There is no sound coming out of the speakers. How do you troubleshoot the issue.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple in May 2008.

Apple takes it's sweet time with the interview process. I applied online and heard from them probably a month later. I applied as a Genius as I've been using Macs for 15 plus years. They instead hired me as a Mac Specialist. THe first contact was a regional interview over the phone followed by an overt he phone test for the genius openin. I was then recommended down to the retail level where I was interviewed in person and several days later they got back to me with an offer. Two days of 8 hour training with all the other new hires at a local hotel. (paid $8 for training then $10 at my regular rate).

Interview Questions
    Not much negotiation unless its another title you are going for in terms of pay. They know how much they are going to pay you based on the market they are in. For example in Richmond, VA they offered a few dollars less considering the lower cost of living than DC. Fun company to work for more than anything they are looking for customer service, their attitudes is they will train you. They like to think they are customers friends and not sales people. They want you to "Attach" products to the sale not up sell. For example a Student might need Microsoft office with his new MacBook. I rate it neutral because it's very clear that they want you to fit them not the other way around. They are going to do things their way. And if they weren't fun and nice people they could otherwise be creepy. It's the culture. They want good personality.

Apple Genius Interview

Group interview of 15 or so people, were shown a couple of videos about the company, then split off into small groups of 5 to answer questions about our past experiences. We then regrouped where they continued to talk more about the company, and at that point they ended the interview. Received an e-mail a couple of days later saying that I was declined and found someone who better fit

Apple Genius Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple in November 2009.

I initially placed my resume on www.apple.com/jobs. Within a few weeks I received an email indicating there would be a group interview held at one of the local stores.

I Arrived after the store had closed for the weekend. There were close to 20 of us waiting outside (many people stopped and asked if there was a new product release the hadn't heard of.) We all created name tags and patiently awaited to enter.

Upon entrance to the store we were greeted by the staff clapping (much like a store grand opening so i've been told.) We proceeded to the back of the store where we were met by close to 15 Employees all with a range of specialties. There were numerous stores present as this was a multi store interview.

They started out with a brief intro about who each employee was as well as a fun fact. This continued round robin. We then filled out a questionaire (it was essentially the same data we filled out online. ) At this point those who hadn't registered at apple jobs were reminded to do so.

Following this we were split off into groups of 2 for a couple minutes to create all about me Flyers. Each group had to put info on each person (name, interesting fact and why we fit with apple.) Once everyone completed the task and had printed two copies, we proceeded to give a presentation on each of us.

Once all the presentations were over there were numerous apple videos displayed regarding apple and its work philosophies.

Next came the technical assessment. We were told it didn't bar us from employment (however each page a new topic was started reminded you that x out of x were required to pass. ) Leaving me to believe this is the initial screening for Genius level positions. There were roughly 7 questions in each of the following categories. Mac OS X, Apple Hardware, Technical terms, iPod/iPhone troubleshooting as well as software.

We completed the assessment and placed them in the Manilla folders provided (where we have kept everything we've worked on thus far.

We wrapped up with a Questions and Answers portion where they asked Q's and we asked Q's.

Over all the staff were great and the experience was a good one. There were varying levels of knowledge in the store and each person seemed to have something unique to offer.

There is now a waiting period whilst we await hearing from the different Management teams at the varying stores. Most of us put together a *dream* sheet listing the order of preference for stores.

Interview Questions
    • There were many technical questions relating to hardware and software.   View Answer