Apple Interview Questions in California

Updated Oct 28, 2014

617 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple.

I was contacted by an Apple recruiter who had come across my resume on Monster or some other site that I had it on. The position was for the manufacturing group for mobile devices. It wasn't my typical area of expertise as I'm more design focused, but I have an extensive background in manufacturing and machining, so It seemed like a good time to make a change. I had a quick phone call with the recruiter and was asked the standard questions regarding why I was looking for a job, was I willing to relocate, etc. After this brief (10 minute) phone interview, I received an email and scheduled another brief phone interview with another recruiter, then again with a hiring manager.

The conversation with the hiring manager was very technically focused on manufacturing processes, plastics, metals, composites, tooling, machine tools, inspection, surface finishing, treatments, etc. This was about 30 minutes and the manager was a pleasure to talk to. He had a great sense of humor and the conversation although technical, was enjoyable and relaxed.

Following this I received an email and was invited for an on site interview. The Apple travel site takes care of your airfare, hotel, and rental car and is very efficient.

The on site interview was about 5 hours, meeting with someone every 30 minutes. The bulk of the interviews consisted of a bunch of Apple products and pieces being placed in front of me and discussions on how they were produced, tooling to manipulate them, ensuring accuracy, how surface finishes were produced, why things were done a certain way, how I would do them, and so on.

Everyone I met with was light hearted and seemed to have a sense of humor. All incredibly bright individuals and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. All in all it was pretty intense, but if you know your stuff there shouldn't be anything unexpected. I was pleased that they didn't give me any brain teasers or abstract stuff like that. It was all straight to the point and was a good test of my manufacturing knowledge.

My advice to anyone in any interview situation is that if you don't know something, admit it. Don't try and BS your way through, especially in a group like I was in, as they will see through it. If you don't know something, just say so. My plastics experience is limited, so when technical questions about plastics and over molding came into the equation, I was up front and told them I knew about the process and could describe it to them, but had no hands on experience in it.

Also, make sure you can back up every single thing you put on your resume. If you have a lot of fluff in there it's going to come out in the interview process.

Lastly, don't show up empty handed. Bring examples of your work and show them how diverse your skill set is and why they should hire you. It's also a great for you to be able to talk intelligently about all the things you've done and explain your thought process behind them. This is what a lot of people you interview with are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • This was a very 'hands on' interview. No BS questions, but know every manufacturing process you can, regardless how abstract. Same goes for surface finishing, treatments, and manufacturing automation. Also Apple does things very differently, cost is second to quality, So where other manufacturers are stamping sheet metal and molding things out of cheap pot metal, Apple is CNC'ing components, has incredibly tight tolerances, and is highly automated.   View Answers (3)
    I initially received an offer from the recruiter verbally outlining my base salary, sign on bonus, relocation package, stock options, etc. They called me a few days later notifying me that the official offer was in the mail via FedEx next day air, and they had increased the base salary and sign on bonus that he had initially given me. It wasn't a massive increase in pay compared to what I was currently making, but it was enough to get me to accept, and was what I expected the job to pay. Certain things seem pretty set from a corporate standpoint (vacation days, stock vesting period, etc.) so I'm not sure how much negotiation room there actually is. Either way, I was happy with the offer they made me, and I accepted.

Customer Care Agent (At Home) Escalation Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Apple.

Employees of Apple are passionate about premium products and services. The interview was 45 minutes and very focused on Apple's consumer. Most questions emphasized the quality of service Apple customers expect, problem solving skills, active listening, and most importantly, empathy. I have a talent for calming an angry customer, so I was comfortable with the process.

Interview Questions
    • "How do you handle the rare customer who stays unsatisfied?'   View Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

First had a phone screen with HR with simple questions about resume, why Apple, etc. Then had two 1-hour interviews on site. These interviews were completely technical meant to test EE fundamentals (ohms law, op-amp circuits, RC filters, etc). Next had a full-day onsite interview where I met with 8 people for about 45 min each. These questions were also EE fundamentals with a little more depth. Overall not a very difficult interview if you know your EE basics. Not nearly as difficult as IC-level design interviews. After this interview, I met with the manager of the team and he asked me a combination of technical and behavioral questions. Finally was made an offer after all of this. The offer was decent, but lower than offers in other locations once you factor in cost of living.

Interview Questions

Not enough money for Bay Area. They pay more than most companies out here, but still not enough to be worth the cost of living.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

I applied online and then had a quick 20 minute phone interview about my background and why I wanted to work for Apple. I was invited to an in-store hiring event with 50 other people. First, we watched videos and learned more about the company. Then, we were split up into groups of 9 and answered prompted questions with an iPad (basically all of the questions are situational) I talked maybe 3-4 in the 2 hour hiring event, but was asked back for another interview. Like other people have said before me, they are looking for a type of person. The managers will tell you straight-up that they are looking for nice, intelligent people. Show them that you are relatable and can get along with almost anyone AND show them that you are paying attention to the people in your group. For the final interview, I was 1 of 4 interviewees. Again, we were asked more situational questions. The same day as my final interview, I was emailed that I needed to complete my Apple application. The next day after that I received an email from HireRight telling me that I was in the offer letter stage for Apple and they needed to do a background check. I was called 4-5 days later with a verbal offer.

Interview Questions

The salary was great but I couldn't give the availability they wanted. They needed me to be available all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple in October 2014.

Agreed to meet on-site in Santa Clara. Stood outside, apparently interviewer was waiting at a different door. He offered water. After going into the interview room had a whiteboard coding session. It involved creating a Java function to find the smallest number in an array. They emphasized communication with the interviewer who I would be working with. They were flexible and helpful during this point. After there were questions about Big O notation and Machine Learning. After the interview, in the parking lot, he started asking me about previous jobs I held.

Interview Questions
    • Open-ended Machine Learning question involving comparing data. There was a strong impression that they were fishing for a specific answer, or expecting something without providing much context.   Answer Question

Fixture Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple in October 2014.

Contacted recruiter through Linkedin and was happy to learn that the hardware teams are looking for mechanical engineers to work on antenna design. First round of technical screens were over the phone and this was followed by another set of two technical phone screens. Got offered the opportunity to then interview on site (1:1 sessions) that lasted 4 hours put together.

Overall, very positive experience; I think what caught me off guard might have been the fact that the position was for test fixture engineering but many questions were focused on mechanical engineering analysis which I only prepared for using what experience I stated on my resume.

Interview Questions
    • How would you model parts on CAD (draw on whiteboard)   Answer Question
    • Assorted questions on beam bending (subjected to moments)   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

I was contacted by a recruiter who discussed the requirements of the team. The project was top secret so they could not disclose what I would be working on.

I had two rounds of phone interviews which involved discussions on concepts in machine learning and natural language processing. I was then invited for a series of on site interview which lasted 3.5 hours. These were similar to the phone interview but were more detailed and probing.

Overall, I found the engineers to be of top quality and extremely devoted to the success of the project. I was also impressed by the hiring experience. The entire process took less than two weeks and I was continually updated (by email) of my status even late one Friday evening.

I got a better offer elsewhere.

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Apple in September 2014.

Applied on apple.com/jobs, a recruiter contacted me a few days later. First interview went great and mainly focused on customer service experiences and troubleshooting techniques. I got a second interview a week from now and it being either through FaceTime or Skype. Let's see how it goes.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time that highlights your customer service experience.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Apple.

Applied online and a recruiter emailed back shortly afterwards to schedule a phone interview with the hiring manager. Smooth process and asked general questions. They send a project for you to work on if you are able to advance to the next step.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly background questions related to resume and skills needed for position   Answer Question

Apple Retail - Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

When interviewing for the expert role you have to go through a rigorous panel interview with 5 different managers; a store leader, one is the market leader, a lead Genius, and 2 other managers. You will have to pass a verbal technical panel that is 30 minutes long with the lead genius. Once you get though all 5 they thank you and have you on your way home. It took 10 days before I found out I got the job. This is all after already being employed with apple for 6 months. The interviews into apple is a much harder process. Multiple group interviews.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about Xsan- which I thought was odd as it was not something we discussed much on the retail floor.   Answer Question
    I went in with my salary requirements before I even interviewed.