Apple Interview Questions in California

Updated Jun 30, 2015

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

I was contacted by an Apple recruiter who had come across my resume on Monster or some other site that I had it on. The position was for the manufacturing group for mobile devices. It wasn't my typical area of expertise as I'm more design focused, but I have an extensive background in manufacturing and machining, so It seemed like a good time to make a change. I had a quick phone call with the recruiter and was asked the standard questions regarding why I was looking for a job, was I willing to relocate, etc. After this brief (10 minute) phone interview, I received an email and scheduled another brief phone interview with another recruiter, then again with a hiring manager.

The conversation with the hiring manager was very technically focused on manufacturing processes, plastics, metals, composites, tooling, machine tools, inspection, surface finishing, treatments, etc. This was about 30 minutes and the manager was a pleasure to talk to. He had a great sense of humor and the conversation although technical, was enjoyable and relaxed.

Following this I received an email and was invited for an on site interview. The Apple travel site takes care of your airfare, hotel, and rental car and is very efficient.

The on site interview was about 5 hours, meeting with someone every 30 minutes. The bulk of the interviews consisted of a bunch of Apple products and pieces being placed in front of me and discussions on how they were produced, tooling to manipulate them, ensuring accuracy, how surface finishes were produced, why things were done a certain way, how I would do them, and so on.

Everyone I met with was light hearted and seemed to have a sense of humor. All incredibly bright individuals and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. All in all it was pretty intense, but if you know your stuff there shouldn't be anything unexpected. I was pleased that they didn't give me any brain teasers or abstract stuff like that. It was all straight to the point and was a good test of my manufacturing knowledge.

My advice to anyone in any interview situation is that if you don't know something, admit it. Don't try and BS your way through, especially in a group like I was in, as they will see through it. If you don't know something, just say so. My plastics experience is limited, so when technical questions about plastics and over molding came into the equation, I was up front and told them I knew about the process and could describe it to them, but had no hands on experience in it.

Also, make sure you can back up every single thing you put on your resume. If you have a lot of fluff in there it's going to come out in the interview process.

Lastly, don't show up empty handed. Bring examples of your work and show them how diverse your skill set is and why they should hire you. It's also a great for you to be able to talk intelligently about all the things you've done and explain your thought process behind them. This is what a lot of people you interview with are looking for.

Interview Questions

• This was a very 'hands on' interview. No BS questions, but know every manufacturing process you can, regardless how abstract. Same goes for surface finishing, treatments, and manufacturing automation. Also Apple does things very differently, cost is second to quality, So where other manufacturers are stamping sheet metal and molding things out of cheap pot metal, Apple is CNC'ing components, has incredibly tight tolerances, and is highly automated.   3 Answers

Negotiation

I initially received an offer from the recruiter verbally outlining my base salary, sign on bonus, relocation package, stock options, etc. They called me a few days later notifying me that the official offer was in the mail via FedEx next day air, and they had increased the base salary and sign on bonus that he had initially given me. It wasn't a massive increase in pay compared to what I was currently making, but it was enough to get me to accept, and was what I expected the job to pay. Certain things seem pretty set from a corporate standpoint (vacation days, stock vesting period, etc.) so I'm not sure how much negotiation room there actually is. Either way, I was happy with the offer they made me, and I accepted.

AppleCare At Home Chat Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Preliminary Interview (5/22):
    Questions were asked about my current position, why I’m wanting to move over to Apple, etc. The job expectations, pay rate, and other benefits to the job were discussed. He asked me about my current employer a little bit. The training start date was explained, and the number of weeks of training were explained. It’s strongly emphasized here that you are able and willing to meet their schedule requirements. The interviewer explained that the position I would be entering would be the daytime position, which is between 4:30am – 11pm CST. The call lasted about 10 minutes, and was very low pressure. We scheduled a second interview with a recruiter.

Second Interview (5/28):
    This was a much more detailed interview, as you would expect. It’s conducted via webcam in HireVue, unlike FaceTime or Skype with their voice support interviews, because they need a chat window to work with to assess your chatting abilities.

I was asked in more detail about my work history, and the following questions came up:
    -Explain what you know about the position so far: expectations, pay rate, training period, etc. – She was looking to make sure I cared and paid attention to my last interview.
    -Did you have a chance to watch the AHA video on our website?
    -Based on the video, how would you explain Apple’s approach to customer support? – Again, looking for my honesty and ability to pay attention to details.
    -Explain how a normal work day looks for you.
    -Explain a time when your manager had to address an issue with you.
    -What is it about Apple that makes you want to work with us?

The chat roleplay involved the following scenarios:
    -A customer who was needing to delete apps from the iPad. It was a birthday present, so be sure to celebrate the new iPad and the birthday with the customer. The customer was also concerned about charges that may come with the apps that were downloaded.
    -A customer who was not able to connect his MacBook Air to a hotel Wi-Fi connection for a business meeting. Do not focus on the exact steps here, if you are not familiar with Mac products. Troubleshoot it generally, as if it were a Windows computer, if necessary. Use probing questions and empathy.

KEY SUGGESTION* = many people have remarked about how the chat window is small and narrow. If you click the arrow in the little chat box, it will pop it out of your browser so you can adjust the sizing.

At the conclusion of this, I had a few questions for the recruiter, and she invited me to the next stage of the interview process. The next day I received an email from Apple, which allowed me to schedule my final interview.

Final Interview (6/25):
    It took a little over an hour. The conversation was really interesting, personal, and it was very low pressure.

Each interviewer has a unique personality, though, and I think that influences the uniformity of the interviews. My previous interview felt much more formal and a little cold, albeit friendly.

The main questions I remember being asked were:
    -Describe a time you were not able to resolve an issue with a customer, and what you did.
    -Describe a time when you had to receive some feedback from your supervisor.

To be honest, the rest of my interview questions were surprisingly specific, and related to my current position with another call center company. I would definitely study yourself as much as the interview questions you've found here. You may find the subject of the questions are custom tailored to your personal resume and experiences.

The chat role plays were regarding a customer who was not able to receive texts and emails while in their home (it was a cellular coverage issue), a customer who was not able to use his VPN (due to a password issue), and another customer who was not able to use their email on their phone (yet another password issue).

Interview Questions

• -Explain what you know about the position so far: expectations, pay rate, training period, etc.
      -Describe a time when you had to receive some feedback from your supervisor.
      -Explain how a normal work day looks for you.
      -What is it about Apple that makes you want to work with us?

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

I was expedited through the process as Apple acquired the company I was going to work for. Apple flew me out for one day of on-site interviews, and I had three 2-1 interviews. There was no effort to get to know me in any of them. Each interview was an hour spent entirely on technical questions covering algorithms and system design.

The first two interviews were not great, but not terrible. I asked a lot of clarifying questions, which seemed to annoy the interviewers more than anything. Weird.

The worst interview I've ever had was the 3rd one, with the two team leads. One of them wrote up a problem on the whiteboard, and then spent the rest of the interview looking bored out of his mind at his phone. His problem was very vague and incomplete as he first asked it, and when I asked questions about it he got frustrated and talked down to me. He would occasionally glance up at my progress (it wasn't a hard problem once the details were worked out) and make a snide remark about what I had written. He expected syntactically perfect whiteboard code, and threw in some expletives for an added bonus. The other interviewer would snicker whenever the first criticized my code. At the end they asked if I had any questions, but every question I asked was met with, "That's confidential." It was definitely the most unprofessional interview I've ever been a part of, and I almost walked out of it because it was clear it was wasting all of our time.

Unfortunately the misery didn't quite end there, as it took Apple three full months (and 13 reminder emails) to reimburse me for the costs I had to pay for cab rides and per diem expenses. I was also never reimbursed for a flight I had to cancel because of the interview timing, but at this point I'm just tired of dealing with them. If possible, try to get Apple to pay up front for as much stuff as possible, because the reimbursement process is a nightmare. My (senior) recruiter had no idea where to even begin with it, which I still don't quite understand.

Interview Questions

• The skyline problem

Given a set of interval tuples, find the longest overlapping interval

Given a huge log file of a web server, find the IP addresses that had exactly 1 request

A network is connected in a line, so that servers can talk only to the servers to their left or right. Servers know if they are the leftmost or rightmost servers. What's a protocol for every server to learn the full topology? How long does it take?

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

On site interview from 10 AM to 5 PM. In total there were about 6 interviews for an hour each, and an hour lunch at 1 infinite loop. Interviewers were very fair and had a conversational demeanor. Apple paid to fly me out to CA and covered all of my expenses.

Interview Questions

• What is polymorphism?
      How could you approximate a non-linear function with only multiplication and additions.
      Techniques for allocating static and dynamic memory.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

first round: Initial phone interview, second round in person one on one, third round was 4 hours of group/panel interview from various people within Finance. Interview process is consistent with most silicon valley companies

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Got recruiter contact me the next day. Had a little conversation about my current work, and expected salary. Hiring manager called me 2 days later to discuss my background and the position he is trying to fill. Recruiter called back saying manager likes me and would like to give me a little coding challenge to complete at home. The question was easy to do (I do that type of coding every day at my current job). Recruiter phoned back with positive feedback and scheduled onsite on Monday. Met with 9 team members including hiring manager and his boss. Mostly conversation on technical questions and behavioral questions, some reasonable whiteboard coding problem but no BS. Offer came in on Tuesday. Quite a generous offer beats my other offers in hand by A LOT. Tried to negotiate a little more but couldn't.

Interview Questions

• Give a list of parenthesis symbols like [,],{,},(,) in a string. ex "{[[(}[}])", write a program to return True if the symbols are complete. i.e. "{}" is True, "}{" is False.   1 Answer

Test Design Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter online and then had a phone interview with an engineer working in the same role. Phone interview focused on my experience and a logic question. Was invited to a full round of onsite interview which involved 5 interviewers. The topics were mix of technical fundamentals of technologies I had worked on. 2 interviews were primarily focused on calibration of MEMS (gyro and accl) devices. They we interested on understanding the methodology of testing specific sensors.

Interview Questions

• How would you calibrate a gyroscope and what is the working principle of gyroscope.   1 Answer

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

Received email from an Apple recruiter after submitted my application online.
    Got an phone screen, basic hr questions and briefing my background.
    Was then told to prepare for onsite interview and a 40 mins presentation with the recruiter herself instead of a designer or team member, which I still think it's a bit strange' ..
    On the interview day, I met a 'senior' recruiter on site. She took me to a meeting room and I was told to prepare a presentation to her.
    The interview was during lunch hour.
    I waited for about 20 mins and then she showed up. She kept checking her phone during the interview.. 2 mins later she told me that she only have 15 minutes for me because she has something else to do so I had to to be quick.. I felt being pressure and a bit disrespected because of her impatient attitude n time..

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Apple (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Interview at Apple is just as much about finding the right people fit as it is looking for skill set. The process has you talk with a variety people in store at all different levels to get a well rounded look at personality.

Interview Questions

• Describe previous work experience and how that will be relevant in the new position.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

- 2 rounds of phone technical interviews
    - 6 rounds of on-site interview
    - each round of on-site interview is one hour with 2 engineers +/- manager
    - one round involves actually coding on the laptop depending on the hiring team
    - on-site interview is well organized with team lunch by the team and recruiter.

Interview Questions

• - mostly job related questions
      - Designing using OO concepts
      - solving simple coding puzzles but lot of grilling on bug-free code and with all test cases are covered
      - Mid level game design with pseudo code

In all rounds, coding speed is measured and compared with young engineers of less than 30yrs old

I saw most(70%+) of engineers are 20-something in the cafetaria.

It's obvious that apple is looking for young and fast coders !

All mangers are in mid to late thirties though.
      tip: Having connections can help you land on the job.

1 Answer