Apple

Apple Interview Questions in Canada

Updated Mar 2, 2015
Updated Mar 2, 2015

Apple Retail - Expert Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Apple.

Terrible interview process. I applied in December and was called in February to attend a group interview. I showed up and there were two other guys there, we all filled out information about ourselves (availability, position applying for etc..) and then went to the food court of the mall for the interview. The manager sat us down and explained a bit about what it is like to work for Apple and then informed us that the interview was going to be the three of us applicants talking with each other, having a conversation and getting to know each other, and that was her method of collecting information about us. It was ridiculous. Obviously this is to test your social skills as Apple is big on that however, the first stage of an interview should be the basic interview questions, getting to know the applicant and learning of their job skills. It should not rely on the information that is learnt as the applicants talk with each other. There is no opportunity to properly present yourself to the manager this way and they definitely should re think their interview process.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple in February 2015.

I applied online through a online recruiting website. I was emailed from Apple directly for an interview. I booked a date and time slot for my interview. The interview was one-on-one with an extremely professional and friendly Specialist.

Interview Questions
    • - Basic questions about past work and educational history
      - What my reaction to different scenarios would be
      - How I work on a team
      - What kind of learner I am
      - Who my role model is
      - Lots about the Apple brand so know your stuff!

Nothing too out of the ordinary.

Answer Question

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

I did a single 1:1 interview. I received an email 2 days later saying that they had decided to go with another candidate. I had been recommended by a friend who was already working there.

The interviewer asked what my best work experience was. I told them and went into detail why I chose the specific job, specifically that the manager I had at the time was very good,

She also asked about what I had been doing over the past year. I told her about graduating University, working and traveling.

Human Factors Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

The process towards the interview was very straightforward and accomodating. I was contacted within seven days after a 30 minute interview with a recruiter and invited for two days of on-site interviews. I was also given a set of tasks to complete and send back prior to the scheduled interviews. Tasks were definitely appropriate for the position, but were held very open-ended (i.e., formulated in such a way that one could really spend any amount of time and effort on them).
    The in-person interviews were thorough, and >10 people talked to me in private sessions, but all interviews were also very friendly. The majority of questions asked me to explain my background, and for me to relate my background to a potential role at Apple.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions were all relatively straightforward to answer. I had to think most when asked what requirements/characteristics of the job would make me walk away - I had spent most of my prep time trying to develop arguments why I'd be good for the job.   Answer Question

Antenna Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Apple.

Interview at IEEE Conference. Interview with director level. Very nice person. Sat at a coffee table for about 1 hour. Talked about teams and organizational structure. Also, discussed his lifetime experience and views on antenna designs and antenna engineers.
    Questions covered Maxwell Equations, and the importance of displacement currents.

Family conflicts

Education Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple in January 2015.

Informal phone interview

It was a good conversation and the manager was very well versed and passionate about Apple's role in the education field. We talked for about an hour and apparently he only allows about 45 mins during a sit down interview.The position would have been a challenged for me however he gave insight in a different role for my qualifications at Apple which was not available at the time that would be a better fit me. I did follow up afterwards but did not hear from the manager and the position was filled shortly after my phone interview. However, I have better insight, if another job opens up at Apple, as to what I can apply for in the future. I am not actively looking for a job but if the right job comes along at Apple, I would definitely apply again including this position.

Interview Questions
    • Describe what you think an account executive role is at Apple?
      If you were meeting with two superintendent of two separate school boards, what would you say to them about how technology is useful in the classroom?

Answer Question

IPhone Operations Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple in January 2015.

The interview process was straight forward. I applied through my university website. After the first interview, I was contacted within 4 days for a second interview. Ultimately I didn't get the job but the interviewers were very friendly and asked straight forward questions. I would have liked a faster response as after the second interview I had to wait 2 highly nervous weeks. But Apple is a dream company and I will for sure try again.

Business Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple in November 2014.

I applied to Apple for an in-store Specialist position but was contacted a couple of weeks later by an Apple Business Manager (business-to-business sales) to interview for a Business Specialist position.

We met at a coffee shop and talked for about an hour. I did a lot of talking around my motivations for a recent move, my previous roles and why I hadn't pursued other things that my education would suggest might be more obvious choices. Most of the questions were standard, nothing off the wall - just things like 'What did you learn from your last role', 'what did you learn about sales' etc.

I had a second interview with the same manager and his superior a couple of weeks later, again over coffee near the store. It felt like a good meeting, I went over some of the same things and again there were no weird questions. They mention that the role was very specific and asked if I would be open to other roles in Apple, to which I said yes.

After this they didn't contact me again, which I thought was very rude as I had met them twice. I emailed my main contact trying to get an answer either way, but he never responded. I don't expect a response when I am just submitting a resume, but after interviewing twice I would think they would have the manners to send a quick email - 'sorry but you're not the right fit, but thanks for interviewing' etc.

Interview Questions
    • Really nothing that hard, it was all about past experience, suitability for role etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple in October 2014.

- I submitted my resume to the Grace Hopper Celebration database, and it was forwarded to multiple Apple recruiters who were looking for New Grad candidates.
    - Each team at Apple has its own designated recruiter, and because my resume was distributed to many teams, I ended up doing a number of phone screens. The phone screens usually were not difficult because they were only 30 minutes long. They mostly tested knowledge based trivia questions along with asking about your past work experiences and projects. It was pretty overwhelming because multiple recruiters were trying to contact me, all from Apple, but it felt ridiculous having to do so many phone screens that all essentially looked for the same skill sets. They even had a recruiter that just started her job, who contacted me by the wrong name and wrote down the wrong information about me, which I felt was fairly unprofessional and disorganized.
    - Because there were many teams in contact with me, they hired a single POC recruiter to manage my onsite, which really helped. Scheduling an onsite during the fall is a bit difficult because Apple gives their employees the entire Thanksgiving week off, and many people go on vacation during December. Anyways, I ended up scheduling it and was told I would have 4 2-on-1 interviews. It turned out to be 8 45-min interviews for 4 different teams and I didn't find out until I had a "break" when a hiring manager came to talk to me. Thinking back, it was probably the most mentally stressful day of my life. Note that I probably could have split it up into two days, but because I had other obligations, I asked for a single day interview.
    - In terms of question style, most teams liked to focus on problem solving and algorithmic questions, covering data structures, trees, graph search, etc. one of the teams asked me to find bugs in a piece of code. Another team really focused on class design and asked me to describe the architecture one of my past projects.
    - Although I was offered breaks in between the interviews, I felt pressured not to take them to keep everyone on schedule. It was also really tough doing so much talking throughout the day (literally met with 16 people that day). My performance was likely diminishing as the day went on, and I knew I didn't do too well on some of the interviews.
    - The overall feel of the Cupertino office: the building I was placed in was beautiful. The cafes serve extraordinary food and the people I talked to were very smart and sounded like they were doing exciting work. As often noted, Apple is pretty secretive even internally. Some teams I talked to say they do code review through email, which I found pretty strange.
    - In the end I did not move on to the next round (which would be another onsite for whichever teams were still interested). Overall, I wish that Apple had a more generalized interviewing process for New Grads. The disorganization really displays how segregated Apple is as a company.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the architecture and class structure of a component in one of your side projects.   Answer Question

IOS Accessory Firmware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple in October 2014.

Hand out resume at info session, got contacted in 2 weeks. The first phone interview is based on some basic transmission protocols like UART and I2C. Some basic C stuff is asked as well. Questions are like how many lines goes into UART, is clock and data on the same line and is I2C master slave or peer to peer.
    The second phone interview is much harder, down to the very basic level. Questions are like how to reverse a BYTE in C