Apple

Updated Jan 30, 2015
Updated Jan 30, 2015

74 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

I did a single 1:1 interview. I received an email 2 days later saying that they had decided to go with another candidate. I had been recommended by a friend who was already working there.

The interviewer asked what my best work experience was. I told them and went into detail why I chose the specific job, specifically that the manager I had at the time was very good,

She also asked about what I had been doing over the past year. I told her about graduating University, working and traveling.

Antenna Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Apple.

Interview at IEEE Conference. Interview with director level. Very nice person. Sat at a coffee table for about 1 hour. Talked about teams and organizational structure. Also, discussed his lifetime experience and views on antenna designs and antenna engineers.
    Questions covered Maxwell Equations, and the importance of displacement currents.

Family conflicts

Human Factors Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

The process towards the interview was very straightforward and accomodating. I was contacted within seven days after a 30 minute interview with a recruiter and invited for two days of on-site interviews. I was also given a set of tasks to complete and send back prior to the scheduled interviews. Tasks were definitely appropriate for the position, but were held very open-ended (i.e., formulated in such a way that one could really spend any amount of time and effort on them).
    The in-person interviews were thorough, and >10 people talked to me in private sessions, but all interviews were also very friendly. The majority of questions asked me to explain my background, and for me to relate my background to a potential role at Apple.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions were all relatively straightforward to answer. I had to think most when asked what requirements/characteristics of the job would make me walk away - I had spent most of my prep time trying to develop arguments why I'd be good for the job.   Answer Question

Business Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple in November 2014.

I applied to Apple for an in-store Specialist position but was contacted a couple of weeks later by an Apple Business Manager (business-to-business sales) to interview for a Business Specialist position.

We met at a coffee shop and talked for about an hour. I did a lot of talking around my motivations for a recent move, my previous roles and why I hadn't pursued other things that my education would suggest might be more obvious choices. Most of the questions were standard, nothing off the wall - just things like 'What did you learn from your last role', 'what did you learn about sales' etc.

I had a second interview with the same manager and his superior a couple of weeks later, again over coffee near the store. It felt like a good meeting, I went over some of the same things and again there were no weird questions. They mention that the role was very specific and asked if I would be open to other roles in Apple, to which I said yes.

After this they didn't contact me again, which I thought was very rude as I had met them twice. I emailed my main contact trying to get an answer either way, but he never responded. I don't expect a response when I am just submitting a resume, but after interviewing twice I would think they would have the manners to send a quick email - 'sorry but you're not the right fit, but thanks for interviewing' etc.

Interview Questions
    • Really nothing that hard, it was all about past experience, suitability for role etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple in October 2014.

- I submitted my resume to the Grace Hopper Celebration database, and it was forwarded to multiple Apple recruiters who were looking for New Grad candidates.
    - Each team at Apple has its own designated recruiter, and because my resume was distributed to many teams, I ended up doing a number of phone screens. The phone screens usually were not difficult because they were only 30 minutes long. They mostly tested knowledge based trivia questions along with asking about your past work experiences and projects. It was pretty overwhelming because multiple recruiters were trying to contact me, all from Apple, but it felt ridiculous having to do so many phone screens that all essentially looked for the same skill sets. They even had a recruiter that just started her job, who contacted me by the wrong name and wrote down the wrong information about me, which I felt was fairly unprofessional and disorganized.
    - Because there were many teams in contact with me, they hired a single POC recruiter to manage my onsite, which really helped. Scheduling an onsite during the fall is a bit difficult because Apple gives their employees the entire Thanksgiving week off, and many people go on vacation during December. Anyways, I ended up scheduling it and was told I would have 4 2-on-1 interviews. It turned out to be 8 45-min interviews for 4 different teams and I didn't find out until I had a "break" when a hiring manager came to talk to me. Thinking back, it was probably the most mentally stressful day of my life. Note that I probably could have split it up into two days, but because I had other obligations, I asked for a single day interview.
    - In terms of question style, most teams liked to focus on problem solving and algorithmic questions, covering data structures, trees, graph search, etc. one of the teams asked me to find bugs in a piece of code. Another team really focused on class design and asked me to describe the architecture one of my past projects.
    - Although I was offered breaks in between the interviews, I felt pressured not to take them to keep everyone on schedule. It was also really tough doing so much talking throughout the day (literally met with 16 people that day). My performance was likely diminishing as the day went on, and I knew I didn't do too well on some of the interviews.
    - The overall feel of the Cupertino office: the building I was placed in was beautiful. The cafes serve extraordinary food and the people I talked to were very smart and sounded like they were doing exciting work. As often noted, Apple is pretty secretive even internally. Some teams I talked to say they do code review through email, which I found pretty strange.
    - In the end I did not move on to the next round (which would be another onsite for whichever teams were still interested). Overall, I wish that Apple had a more generalized interviewing process for New Grads. The disorganization really displays how segregated Apple is as a company.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the architecture and class structure of a component in one of your side projects.   Answer Question

IOS Accessory Firmware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple in October 2014.

Hand out resume at info session, got contacted in 2 weeks. The first phone interview is based on some basic transmission protocols like UART and I2C. Some basic C stuff is asked as well. Questions are like how many lines goes into UART, is clock and data on the same line and is I2C master slave or peer to peer.
    The second phone interview is much harder, down to the very basic level. Questions are like how to reverse a BYTE in C

Mechanical Engineer Quality Interview

The interview was a phone interview that was in-depth. Went through resume and asked many questions about specific tasks that were completed. Due to the fact that it was an intern position i believe the questions were simpler than usual.

Sales Manager Interview

Detailed process with seven individual interviews. Very deep questioning to establish fit. The panel of employees followed a similar routine but questions were tied to the individuals area of expertise. The process was very good in that candidate left with a full grounding of how the local company functions and the culture of the organization.

Interview Questions
    • Question: You don't have any of the skills to do this job, why are we even looking at you ? (In the end I was hired).   View Answer
    Straightforward with some minor movement back and forth. Very fair.

Ios Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple in September 2014.

Got contacted via email (LinkedIn). Had 2 phone interviews. Very nice people, very professional. Emphasis was more on generic Computer Science questions than specific iOS APIs. Had to solve some specific questions involving efficient use of data structures.
    Other topics involved multi-threading, Obj-C basics, design patterns, profiling tools.
    At the end had a chance to ask my own questions. Not much time for this so have them ready.

Apple Instructional Technology Specialist Interview

Initial phone call with HR personnel to discuss my qualifications, interests, etc. A formal conversational interview was scheduled over the phone with manager that lasted about half an hour.

Interview Questions
    • How do you make a company that is good or great even better?   View Answer