Apple Interview Questions in Cupertino, CA

Updated Apr 14, 2015

3.3

Global Supply Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

I was reached out to initially by a recruiter on LinkedIn asking if I was interested and she conducted a basic phone screen. My resume was then reviewed at what seemed to be a weekly director meeting after which I was then transferred to another recruiter. Following this, I did an interview with one of the directors which consisted of deeper probing into my background and relevance to the role. This part of the process took about two weeks. Following this, I was invited on site for over ten back to back 30 min interviews at two locations - candidates are expected to get themselves from one location to the next which is rather stressful. The amount of different people was incredibly taxing – be sure you prepare yourself for a full day of being 'on'.

Unfortunately in my experience, two of my interviewers did not show up and I was asked to tack on a redo interview at the end of the day – only the interviewer didn't show up again. Life at Apple seems rather chaotic, but as an interviewee I was left with a pretty negative perception about their interest in my candidacy as a result of no-shows, last minute interviewer substitutions, and constant multi tasking on their phones during my interview.

For those interested about worklife balance, I asked rather directly about this. It seems that in this job you are always on call. I was told by several individuals that the company was trying to change this, but it was more easily said than done. Many reflected that they had needed to cancel vacations in order to meet with deadlines. One individual even said that he would ask for a demotion if he wasn't able to answer his emails with the needed after hours frequency because that was the promise that applicants make when they except the job.

I was also told in one of my interviews that one shouldn't take this position if they are looking to excel to a leadership role or increase responsibilities. Focus should remain on learning and delivering product.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult negotiation. Tell me about a time where you had to creatively solve a supply or demand issue. What is your familiarity with should cost models? How would you break down the cost of this item in front of you?   Answer Question

Wireless Systems Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

Had a phone interview for summer internship. Was expecting casual chat with some technical questions, but the interviewer had a complete exam with multiple choice questions. The questions weren't simple enough to be done in the head, needed a pen and paper to write down the questions, draw figures, write and solve equations. I was surprised that phone interviews could be so technical, having had no prior experience of interviewing for jobs in the US. I did quite badly because I had not gone over most of the content in a long time. The questions were from these general areas: signal processing, probability and statistics, information theory and communication systems.

Hardware Sensing Group Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

Interviewed with this group multiple times and they are consistently rude. Be prepared to talk with arrogant employees and not have emails responded. usually a phone screen followed by onsite. There might be a 4 question assignment in between which is pointless since it is used as an excuse to eliminate candidates. It is a very easy assignment yet they may still block you from proceeding in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• op amps, general engineering questions, DSP, current mirrors, projects   Answer Question

Algorithm Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

Applied through employee referral, talked to the recruiter on the phone, one technical phone screen with a senior engineer on the team, had to do a 3-problem take-home test over the weekend, then got invited to go on site. On site was 6 hours of technical interviews. Topics included probability, estimation theory, circuit theory, signal processing, system design, adaptive filters, prototype testing, firmware C programming and C memory management.

They told me the initial feedback of the interview was positive but then took them 3 weeks to eventually reject my application. It was disappointing, but overall the experience was positive and educational. Apple knows how to be professional.

Interview Questions

• The multiplier is broken. Write a function in C to multiply two 16-bit integers.   1 Answer

IOS App Reviewer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

My friend, employee at Apple, reffered me to this position, in two weeks I got an email about phone interview. It took around 45 minutes, a lot of questions. Its all year hiring position so you have to wait from month to one year to get hired

Interview Questions

• basic user questions, plus questions how you work under pressure, time managment skills, YOU HAVE TO HAVE APPLE PRODUCTS   Answer Question

Graphic Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Start asking the resume question, what have you done, did you have the experience in graphic design, and then ask some technical question, finally ask did I have the question for him.

Interview Questions

• How to do the floating point addition/subtraction/multiplication in IEEE 754 standard   Answer Question

Acoustic Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

It was a "get to know you" interview. So technical questions were limited. The interviewer asked about my resume and course details. The interviewer was from the concerned department though.

Applecare At Home Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and received a phone call from Apple about a week later. He asked questions that review my resume, and then some basic troubleshooting questions (phone won't turn on). He reviewed the job and it's requirements, as well as the salary. He then said that he was putting me on to the next step of the process, and scheduled me a FaceTime interview for the following week. He sent a confirmation email along with a few links that he suggested that I watch and read. One was a short video that basically showed employees talking and raving about the position. The other link was to the Apple products site.

The FaceTime interviewer was polite and friendly. It started as a continuation of the first phone interview-reviewing the salary, job requirements, my resume, etc. She wanted to get a feel for how I would troubleshoot and asked me questions like "what have you had to troubleshoot on your own iPhone, and how did you go about that?" and "have you ever had to help a friend/family troubleshoot their Apple product, and what did you say/do?". She also asked about prior work experience and interacting with supervisors, things like "tell me about a time when you were asked to change how you do something or do it differently, and how did you take that, and what did you do". She then did 2 role play scenarios. The first was someone getting a new Mac, not having any Apple experience, and wanting to send Thank You cards. The second was someone getting an error while trying to make an iTunes purchase. Those weren't too difficult- just made sure to be friendly, and try to connect to customer (apologize, assure, thank them for their purchase, and welcome them to Apple). At the end, she told me that they were still conducting interviews and that I should hear something by the beginning of the following week.

I received an email a few days later to schedule another FaceTime interview for the following week. In the meantime, I reviewed the Apple products website as well as some of their recommended troubleshooting tips. Let me say this- I have an iPhone and an iPad, so I definitely have familiarity with some of the products. The job description stated that you don't have to have experience with their troubleshooting, but familiarity helps. Well, this next interviewer did 2 more role play scenarios as well as asked me to walk her through 3 different troubleshooting scenarios. I've worked in customer service for a long time. I know that I was friendly, but I could tell that she wasn't satisfied with some of my basic troubleshooting. I felt like she was pushing for the exact steps when she was role playing a bluetooth not working in her car, and it was the same with the other scenarios as well. The interviewer was nice enough, but when it was over, I could pretty much tell that she wasn't satisfied with my lack of Apple troubleshooting.

Interview Questions

• One of the role play scenarios: She locked herself out of her car. She's back in now, but can't get her bluetooth to work.   1 Answer

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process was incredibly long with an anticlimactic ending. I started out by applying through their job portal. A few days later a recruiter reached out to me to set up a phone conversation. The phone conversation went very well and she seemed very sharp and experienced looking for designers to fill positions at Apple.

She instructed me to create an in depth Keynote of recent work, describing and highlighting my process and visual design skills. After spending two days, pouring everything I had into the keynote (literally the best presentation I had ever made) she showed it to her hiring managers.

Two weeks after showing the hiring managers, one of them reached out to me. We had a phone interview and he mentioned he would recommend that I come in for an in person interview. He seemed like a really nice, easy going guy. 3 weeks later I had an appointment with another member from the same team who completely blew me off and didn't even call me at the scheduled time. This was after rescheduling twice on me. The next day I received a call from my original recruiter.

After literally two months of eagerly waiting, scheduling and rescheduling multiple phone screens, they ultimately told me that they were undergoing organizational changes and that two groups inside of Apple had merged. The new group no longer had a need to fill the role I was interviewing for.

It would have been nice to have more communication and faster responses, but I get it, it's Apple...

Overall I would say that it was an expected experience for interviewing with a large company such as Apple. If you are talking with Apple, be prepared for a long, drawn out process that could take you over two months to complete. The best part of the process was surprisingly dealing with the recruiters, who were very good at communicating. Anyways, Good luck!

Interview Questions

• To describe a couple projects I was most proud of.   1 Answer

Senior Release Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

An employee friend submitted my resume for a job I had found on LinkedIn. An HR representative then called my for an initial phone screen.

I then had a phone interview with the hiring manager. The call was scheduled for 30 minutes and we talked for almost an hour. The timing was just before the Christmas holidays, so he told me there would be some delay in the process, but wanted to speak again in 2-3 weeks. Had a second phone interview mid-January with the hiring manager and also a release manger currently in the role. Again scheduled for 30 minutes but ended up exchanging ideas for nearly an hour. The manager told me that they would talk about it, and that HR would contact me about moving forward if that was the decision.

HR contacted me the next day to setup an onsite visit to Cupertino. All travel arrangements handled through Apple. I just had to go online and pick my flights, rental car, and hotel, and it was all taken care of.

Arrived for interviews the night before, and was well rested for the day. Met with 10 people. Four interviews with myself and 2 people, two interviews with individuals. One "interview" was with two people the hiring manager and myself over lunch. The one exception was that the hiring manager's boss was not able to be onsite the day of my interviews so I had a phone interview with him the day before. It was 30 minutes and he asked a lot of practical questions about running software releases.

All the interviews were very "conversational" in nature and not "interrogation" in nature. Some of that is just because of my personality, and some of it was because I had a lot of questions for them. I really felt it was a great exchange of knowledge for both parties. Most (but not all) of them had a copy of my resume and had actually read it beforehand.

The day ended with a one-on-one interview with the Senior VP over all Apple engineering. Both the HR person and the hiring manager took time to prep me for the interview with her. The hiring manager was there when I finished with the SVP, and walked me out to my rental car, talking very pleasantly the whole time. He let slip that there was an internal candidate that was being interviewed later that week. He told me that he was anxious to move forward, and felt the process was taking too long.

My interviews were on a Wednesday. Hiring manager's boss was out of the office until the next Monday. Was told that's when they would compare everyone's notes and make a decision.

HR contacted me the Friday after that with a standard form letter e-mail, stating that they were no longer considering my application for that position.

Interview Questions

• Questions were mostly practical in nature. Not the standard "tell me a time when..."   Answer Question