Apple Interview Questions in Cupertino, CA

3.3

437 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Core OS - Lab Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Apple in August 2014.

Applied online and was contacted by email a week later. Had two phone interviews: first one was with hiring manager and second one was with a member of manager's team. Interviews were a week apart. After both interviews Apple paid to fly me out to Cupertino for a day of on-site interviews. The onsite interviews were all 2-on-1 style with varying members of the team and others that heavily work with the team. Each onsite interviewer seemed unprepared, disinterested, or both. It felt like I was interviewing for a different position than what was described to me over the phone interviews. Having interviewed with Apple five years previous to this, it was dismaying to see their recruitment process largely unchanged despite numerous flaws that eat into Apple's manpower and finances. If you do not get an interview with the VP of the organization, you do not get the job. It was noted on my itinerary before flying out that I was going to interview with someone high up at the Infinite Loop campus, but that did not happen as the recruiter said it was due to scheduling conflicts, which I did not believe. Despite the white lie, the recruiter was otherwise friendly and encouraging.

Interview Questions
    • How do you design a REST API in Django to manage multiple labs full of Mac and iOS devices?   Answer Question

NL Contract Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Apple.

interview process tools two weeks in total.
    basic NLP questions. svm model are asked also. and some perl/python/bash script. asked how to get a certain column from a data file.
    plain and no different overall.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Apple.

The hiring process took a really long time. They could not figure out which team I should work with so they kept shopping me around to different places. The recruiter was very unresponsive and did not provide any updates. I had to reach out to her multiple times to ask about my status.

Interview Questions
    • Based on your previous experience, I think this job may be too boring for you. Why are you interested?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple in July 2014.

Contacted recruiter via LinkedIn who then put me in touch with another recruiter who arranged a phone interview with a hiring manager. Conducted a phone interview in which I thought I conducted extremely poorly, but after a week and half I was sent a design challenge problem to complete over the next two weeks. The challenge required completing a design and describing how you got to your solution which was then documented and sent as a PowerPoint presentation. After several weeks passed received a message that I would be brought in for an in person interview which was going to possibly be two days long. The second day contingent on the first.

The first day was 8 hours long with at least 8 scheduled individuals. Unfortunately though Apple was extremely unorganized and only 4 showed during the day. I was even left forgotten after the last scheduled interviewer never showed. I finally decided to leave once no one came to find me after an hour passed beyond that. Two hours later I received a call from the hiring manager stating he had decided to pass on my application due to a lack of experience in a particular field, that he also stated he knew I had no experience in from the start all the back from the phone interview. No apologies for wasting 2 months of my time for something I had zero control over. The experience was interesting, challenging, and a very angering experience.

Interview Questions
    • If I were to ask you what plastic this is (presenting to me a plastic component) what would you guess it would be?   Answer Question

Senior Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Apple in May 2014.

Got nowhere submitting my resume through their website. Used a referral from a friend and I got an interview very quickly. They are hiring a lot of people now so I actually interviewed for 3 different positions. I had no phone interview, and skipped directly to on-site interviews, although maybe this is because I was local (Silicon Valley area). I was at the Cupertino campus for 3 whole days from 8am to 6pm, meeting with a new person every 30-60 minutes. Each person, mostly engineers, would ask me a bit about my experience for about 10 minutes and then spend the rest of the time working out some kind of whiteboard problem. Most asked me to design some circuits or systems, while some others were derivations. Everyone was fairly young and very energetic. I came out of each day of interviews exhilarated but exhausted. By the end of the last day, I was so tired that I could not answer a very basic question. I should have been able to give the right answer just by looking at the circuit diagram, but I needed to derive the transfer function by hand. When I finished the derivation, I was like ... duh... It was kind of like doing a big long mathematical proof that 2+2 does indeed equal 4.

In the end all 3 groups wanted to hire me, but I was instructed to pick one before they made an offer. I knew which position I wanted, but I took a week to talk with the hiring managers each individually and also some employees to verify. After I made my decision, it took longer than I thought necessary to get me the offer, but they are a big company so these things can take some time when there's bureaucracy involved. Communication with the recruiter was excellent throughout the process.

Apple is such a secretive company that I did not even know exactly what I would be doing until I started. The people interviewing me could not tell me any details, and I did not see a single lab or piece of hardware during my interviews. Also, Apple has a need-to-know culture, as in if you need to know something to do your job they'll get you access, but otherwise you don't get access. So when interviewing competitively for several groups, a guy from group A has only a vague idea what guys from group B are working on.

In many ways the interview is a preview of what it's like to work there. It's very fast-paced, secretive, and you really need to know your stuff. But I would stress that fundamental analytical skills trump specific knowledge. Apple was different from many other places I interviewed in that they didn't really care so much about my exact knowledge as in how well I could apply it. And that's necessary in the day-to-day work since every engineer is given a very high degree of individual responsibility.

Interview Questions
    • If you have a 10W light bulb and a 100W light bulb, and you connect them together, which one will be brighter?   View Answers (4)
    The offer was good enough that I did not feel the need to negotiate. A tier 1 comp package at a tier 1 employer. How could I refuse?

GPS Field Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Apple.

a phone interview for one hour and then was called by hr for onsite. onsite was a two day process. was rejected the first day. The first day was a 10 round according to the HR. I was walked out on the 9th round by the person interviewing me.

Interview Questions
    • all questions were from wirless communicaiton and RF. the wireless communcaiton was range vs rate. some in my resume regarding regression testing pervious intern, some in constellation some questions from CDMA, some questions in IIP3, 3db compression   Answer Question

Software Engineer - Core OS Networking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in May 2014.

I had applied online and was contacted by an Apple recruiter within a week over email. She gave me details about the position and the name of the team that was interested in my profile. After that, I had a 45-minute telephonic interview with a member of the hiring team. I was asked primarily about my PhD/postdoc research work and was also told about the privacy and confidentiality of Apple about the work done there. The interviewer was very pleasant to talk with and respected my position and what I was looking for.

After the first round of phone interview, Apple scheduled an onsite interview within two weeks in their head office in Cupertino. The pre-interview process was very smooth - they flew me over and arranged a nice hotel for a night stay. My onsite interview lasted for about 5-6 hours, during which I met ten people from the Core OS team, including the hiring manager and the VP. I was asked a variety of questions in the areas of computer networking, wireless communications, and my research work, and also was asked to solve problems on paper and code on the white board. I was able to answer 90% of the questions. Some of the questions required thinking on the spot, and the interviewers were very helpful in giving me hints if I got stuck.

To sum up, Apple has a very smooth overall hiring process and takes care of their potential hires in a nice way. My whole trip was covered by Apple and reimbursed on time. Apple's culture was pleasant and so was the working environment. I was impressed with their Cupertino office environment.

They extended me an offer within two weeks of the onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about some non-trivial design questions about a software app that I had developed in grad school. Also, there was a question about designing the interface for storing the number of bytes in a file from an online application, and also reading it by another application.   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate for a package that was pretty good. Apple's relocation benefits are awesome (probably one of the best in the Silicon valley)! I would suggest aspiring candidates to do some background research about the position and also to know their worth. You got to ask that will make you happy. I had read a ton of online articles about salary negotiation tips that had helped me quite a bit. I did have another offer in hand which was perhaps the reason I was able to negotiate my way, but I'm pretty sure anybody can do a reasonable negotiation regardless of his/her position so long as Apple wants to hire.

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in March 2014.

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks.

The recruiter contacted me the day after my resume was internally referred. Set up a call a couple of days later for a short chat (15 mins) about the nature of the job, my general qualifications and backgrounds, and continued interest in the position. I was immediately notified I'd be moved to the next interview, a 45 minute phone interview with the head of the team. The recruiter was very informative about the subject of the call (statistics, statistical methods/concepts) and background of the interviewer. Interview went well.

Fifteen minutes after that interview concluded, the recruiter called me, asked me how I felt it went, and informed me I'd be moving toward a second (45-minute) phone interview. The call was scheduled for the following week and again, I was informed on the subject of the interview (advanced stats, probability, and live syntax for data management) as well as the background of the interviewer (quantitative engineer). The call went well, though I did stumble a little bit over the syntax (I'd just taught myself over the weekend), but not because it was difficult.

I did take my time to prepare and I was right. It is a difficult test. I did use apps like ‘the impossible interview’ and ‘the aptitude interview’ from iTunes app store to prepare. They were a help.

A week later I was informed my interviews went well, and I did make it to the next round.

Interview Questions
    • Advanced stats questions regarding HLM. Explain in layman's terms.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Apple in February 2014.

Flew in for an interview after being contacted by a recruiter. Flown in. The selection process for flights and hotels is great, it's kinda like they are running their own kayak. Regular silicon valley interview other than that.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here? (Really thing that stuff through)   Answer Question

WW Supply Demand Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Apple in June 2014.

I was contacted through Linked In and it was a 10 week process. There were two HR phone interviews, the first was a get to know you and the second was a screening interview. The next two calls were with managers. These are 30 mins, get to the point, intense interviews. They want specifics, down to examples of models you have created. If you pass all the phone interviews, you will be invited for an in person interview. Three days before, I received a case study to prepare. The day of the interview, I met with 5 - 6 people, individually, 30 mins each and at the end of the day had 30 mins to present and defend the case study to this group of people. Note that the hiring process is a team process and majority rules. When you interview with the managers on the phone, these may not be the people with whom you will work. If you are hired, they decide where you are needed most and where you will fit in best.

Interview Questions
    • It was one of the most difficult interview processes I have experienced.   Answer Question