Apple Engineering Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

Very thorough - three separate onsite interviews with multiple people. Initial phone call with recruiter was half an hour long, just a quick resume review and typical "what do you want out of a job" questions. Technical people asked high level technical questions, even though it is not really a technical job, to make sure you understand the technology you will support. Lots of troubleshooting questions, hypothetical situations, etc. Know your resume! They will read it (all of it) and quiz you about it. Even stuff from a decade ago. Be honest and be enthusiastic about the company and the position. Everyone I interviewed with was enthusiastic about working for Apple and seemed to enjoy their jobs.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when you find out two weeks before launch that a software feature still hasn't been implemented?   1 Answer
  • How do you go about defining a new SW feature, from start to finish?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple in October 2012.

Interview

One of my friend forwarded my resume through internal referral system. There were 4 Phone interviews (First HR + Hiring Manager + 2 team members). Then they called me for F2F whole day interview. There were 8 F2F interviews, including 1hr lunch. First 4 interviews were all done by team members for 30mins each. Then 3 members from other team interviewed me again. Finally hiring manager interviewed me for the final 30mins. After a couple of days, they called me again for F2F with Director and Sr.Director for a quick 1hr interview. They discussed very high level job functions and experience.

Interview Questions

• Team members requested me to draw Network architectures on white board. Tech team members were asking about 1. CDMA (1X) theoretical data rate (not regular data rate) 2. LTE activation, call flow, bandwidth 3. Scenario based questions (Network/Customer issues) 4. What do you like in iPhone 5 and what new features do you suggest to add 5. Examples of dealing with difficult employees 6. Examples of Pro-activeness 7. CDMA channels (FWD- Pilot, Sync,etc) and its purpose 8. Why Apple (customized answer -not regular one) ?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, I was able to negotiate a little bit. I requested the HR to see if there is any room for negotiation. They agreed to bump the salary by 5k+. I would have taken it without it too.

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

I was contacted by an Apple recruiter via LinkedIn and eventually had a 15-20 min telephone screening interview. Two days later, I had a 30 min phone interview with the hiring manager. The next week, I traveled to their campus for an onsite interview with 4 different people who would be peers/one level higher. Finally, I was brought back onsite for another 3 interviews with more senior level (boss of boss) employees.

Interview Questions

• They asked me pretty typical interview questions, nothing too technical since it was for a program management role.   Answer Question

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter. He arranged for a 1 hour phone interview with a hiring manager. After that I was invited to the corporate campus for an interview consisting of 8 30-minute long interviews with various engineers and managers. A week after the interview, I was informed that they had selected another candidate, which I do appreciate. I was also given feedback by the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Part of the problem with Apple's interview style is that you tend to get asked the same questions over and over by different people who didn't have a chance to hear you answer previously. Also 30 minutes per person isn't really enough time to get to know one another.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

Initially had a phone interview and then in person interview - I met 10 people including the recruiter. The questions were both technical and non-technical. The interview lasted for about 6 hours. The question that I found difficult was " Where do you see yourself in 5 years and how will this job help you acheive that goal?"

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years and how will this job help you reach that goal?   Answer Question
    • What will you do if the client asked for more features and you are already behind schedule   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

Over the course of 6 weeks, I had two on-site interviews totalling 16 interviewers. After each set of on-site interviews, I would get no response from the recruiter. I was in a very busy time with my current job and I was bending over backwards to make time for them. I finally received a response for a 3rd round of in-site interviews with another four interviewers. 5 minutes after receiving confirmation of the interview (through e-mail) I received a phone call from the recruiter that an offer was accepted by someone else. Who does that? Why would they even tell me I was being brought in for a 3rd round if they already made an offer to someone? I was constantly reassured by the recruiter that technical questions would not be part of the interview because it was a project management job, not a technical job, but I had 3 interviewers who asked nothing but technical questions and I was ill-prepared for them.

Interview Questions

• You have no extra time and no extra resources but is asked by the CEO to add 20 extra features, what do you do?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

Typical and professional, except at the end. Interviewed 13+ folks over the course of 2 months then,just "nothing". A rejection letter or something would have been expected after all that time. Wonder if that's how they treat their folks? The interviews themselves were very professional and not terribly difficult, pretty typical for program management stuff. Folks on their side seemed very tired but they did seem like they had some good team work. I heard (rumor) that they get all the candidates and only make a decision at the very end. Moral of the story....it aint over till it's over, so don't think because you are in the home stretch you will hear something or for that matter, even a letter of rejection. So it goes, on to the next :)

Interview Questions

• You have a program with something or component that fails 1 week before launch. What do you do?   4 Answers
    • How do you handle difficult team members?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

I was an employee referral. The interview process was quite long. Lots of time elapsed between the phases. I had 2 or 3 phone interviews, plus 2 face-to-face interview days (5 - 7 people each day). Quite rigorous. The people were quite nice and professional and none of the questions were too difficult. I am not sure why they didn't hire me except I didn't hit it off with one person on the second day of interviews. Oh, well..

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you ran into problems managing an outside vendor.   Answer Question

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Apple in March 2010.

Interview

Email correspondence with company recruiter, leading to phone interview a few days ago with hiring manager, consisting of both non-technical and very few technical questions. Few questions regarding personal and career goals and previous technical experience and achievements in the past few years. Still waiting on reponse and/or invitation for in-person interview in Cupertino.

Interview Questions

• What is your focus and where do you see yourself ending up?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in November 2008.

Interview

Everyone who had anything to do with the position wanted to interview. This meant multiple half-day sessions over two weeks. At every interview session, people were swapped in at the last moment. There were multiple opinions as to what the position was about, and some of the interviewers were obviously antagonistic to others. There was also lots of rescheduling of interviews, so expect that you'll need half-days completely open over a number of days There was very little directed questioning, and little discussion along the line of "how does your past experience qualify you for the position"?

Interview Questions

• How are microcode and firmware different? Where are they similar?   1 Answer