Apple

Getting the Interview

16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Expert Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Apple in February 2014.

Interview Details – Expert positions are typically from internal promotions but on occasion do hire external candidates. If you are an external candidate you will be interview 2-3 times in front of 2-5 managers or market leaders. Questions will relate anywhere from about products and services, to leadership and mentoring skills. If you are an external candidate it is extremely helpful to have a good deal of technical knowledge about apple products and services and how to create solutions for customers.

Interview Question – Who at work really enjoys you as a person and employee and what would they say about you?

Who would be your biggest critic and what would they say about you?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, salary is set and only have to discuss start time and training schedule.

Very Easy Interview

Expert Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Apple in August 2009.

Interview Details – Friendly and open ended questions, not very hard to get a job if you are a people person.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Apple?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – "This is what experienced employees, like yourself, start off making. You get an annual review of your progress and we tend to appreciate longevity by giving you a raise."

Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Apple in August 2010.

Interview Details – Group interview, then 2 additional interviews with store management

Interview Question – Why you, and why Apple?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A

Expert Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple.

Interview Details – you interview with an assistant manager, then a store manager, then store leader, then the district manager. not only are you interviewed for what you know, but its about who you are and how you answer them. passion and excitement is key, but also making what you say meaningful to the conversation is equally as important. embrace the culture apple has, use that as your guide. tell as story, make them laugh, or even cry, but make it true and make it you. its not only about explaining why an i5 is better or worse than i7, its how its relevant to that person and what solution makes it better for the customer experience. if you get hired externally, watch out. expert is a coveted position and some people feel that they deserve it, but push through it. remember adversity causes some to break, and some to break records! be a record breaker, be different, thats why you're interviewing. bring your abilites to the table and dont be afraid to show them like i did (i got hired externally). if the managers think you have the potential, then you do and ignore the haters, if you dont get start as specialist and work up the ladder!

Interview Question – nothing too difficult if you know about the product, just brush up on gsm/cdma activations in case they ask you, explaining applecare and one to one so know those benefits. remember dont explain it like you're talking to me, explain it like your talking to your grandma and grandpa   Answer Question

Expert Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Apple in June 2011.

Interview Details – First interview was a hiring event with over 25 candidates. Second interview consisted of a panel interview with one other candidate. Third interview was with the store leader and direct manager. Final interview was with district manager

Interview Question – what is your favorite comic book character?   Answer Question

Fresno, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in November 2011.

Interview Details – It was long. First I met with the People Leader and a Senior Manager. Then I met with the Store Leader. Then I met with the Market Leader. Then I had to travel 150 miles to go to an Expert Panel Interview. There I met with three Store Leaders and a Lead Genius. After that, I met with yet another Manager, the Family Room Manager, who gave his input on the final decision. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me. But at the same time, it was really enlightening. Interviewing at Apple is all about storytelling. Tell a story about you, be compelling, show that you're passionate. It's more than just loving Apple, it's about being interesting. Also, with respect to the Expert position, it was perhaps a tad more difficult because I was being hired externally. Plus, not everyone I interviewed with absolutely loved me. That's okay, not everyone will. Luckily, I made enough of an impression that people fought for me. In my work I proved them right. I love Apple, and hopefully if you're applying there it's because you do as well, not just because it's a cool place to work. Still, I left because of the one thing that I couldn't help: in Apple Retail, there is currently very, very limited opportunity for long-term advancement. Therefore, buyer beware. It's not just any job, but it's not a career either (well, no longer, anyway). It's a bloody shame. This was written in November of 2012.

Interview Question – If you're applying for the Expert role, you will face two rounds: competency and technical knowledge. They competency part is all about you, your readiness for the role, etc. The thing about interviewing at Apple is you might thing you're applying for one thing, but then they offer you something totally different. They strive to fit you in the best role possible. The questions in the competency section often start with the phrase, "Tell me about a time when you…." It can go anywhere from there: when you faced a difficult challenge; when you disagreed with someone; etc. Don't just answer. Tell a story. Be a raconteur, not a robot. Practice this. Be engaging, likable.

For the technical portion, you had better know everything about Mac and iOS inside and out. You don't need this level of competency for the Specialist role, or even the Genius role since they will train you; but to come in as an Expert, you're expected to know this stuff cold. You'll be the go-to person for knowledge.

What's Grand Central Dispatch?
What's the difference between an i5 and an i7?
What are five key new features of iOS 6 and what do they do?
What's new about Mountain Lion?
Tell me about the MacBook Air configurations that we offer…
What's the difference between a MacBook Pro and an Air?
Who would buy a Mac Pro and why?
What's the difference between EDGE, 3G and 4G/LTE?

Basically, you must know *everything*. Oh, and you have to be capable of producing top-tier results as well. You're expected to lead the Red Zone in every category, rivaled only by your fellow Experts.

A final word of caution: DO NOT THINK OF THE EXPERT ROLE AS A STEPPING STONE TO MANAGEMENT. It's not. It was created as a way to keep the best Specialists. In other words, it's the career path that the best, most knowledgeable salespeople could take. But it's considered terminal. This is not to say there aren't Experts that make the leap, but don't think that because you have the competencies required to be an Expert that you also possess those which make a good Manager. Either you have them or you don't -- and if you had them, they would have interviewed you for a management position in the first place. Apple Retail does not seem to be in the business of producing managers, only acquiring them. The one exception is the extremely rare ASLP role. That's a whole different ballgame, however.

Best of luck.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I pushed for a bit more and got it. It was quick.

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in September 2009.

Interview Details – To become a specialist required five interviews. To reach Expert required yet another set of panel interviews with several sets of store and regional managers, along with business team managers. Questions were mixture of technical, CS and business skills.

Interview Question – How to deal with a customer that cannot be pleased, no matter what action you take.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Apple's Finance department set a number, take it or leave it.

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple in June 2012.

Interview Details – Was contacted in late May about a technical position within Apple. The phone interview was very laid back and informative, basically talked about what the job would entail as well as behavioral / technical questions.

Next I was contacted about a month later to set up a meeting with one of the store leaders. This interview was all behavioral and was with an HR manager as well as an Expert within the store. Basic behavioral questions, nothing that was too hard to answer.

After that I was contacted to meet with the store leader, this was more of a leadership interview to see how I handled leadership as well as delegating task. Very laid back and positive. Overall mood of the interview was relaxed and welcoming. One major theme between all the interviews was the openness of the interview.

The background check was next, and lasted over the holiday weekend (July 4th) so I had to wait a few extra days to here back about the next steps.

A few weeks later I set up a technical screen which was by far the most difficult part of the interview. I would suggest listening to the store leaders on what to study and be prepared to go in depth on anything Apple related.

After I received word that I passed the technical screen, they set up a competency interview over FaceTime with Apple higher ups to discuss my past job performance and how I handled situations that involved leadership, difficult customers, pressure in the workplace, etc.

Im still waiting to here back, so hopefully if all goes well Ill be starting my new career at Apple shortly.

Interview Question – Describe the Apple one to one experience and how to market it towards future customer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Still waiting on a response. From other Expert applicants on Glassdoor, negotiating is not available for this position.

Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Apple in September 2010.

Interview Details – This interview moved me from Business Specialist to Expert. Took place with store manager.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to switch roles from business specialist to expert and stay on the sales floor?   View Answer
  • Are yo willing to accept a lateral transfer to the expert position.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much to negotiate. Stood on my qualifications, yes or no.

Overland Park, KS

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Apple in August 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online then personally handed hiring manager resume. Got invited to a hiring event, approximately 30 people. Immediately started role playing, speaking individually in front of everyone. Approximately 2 hours. After a week, called back for a second "speed dating" type interview. Just two of us in a room with two groups of interviewers. After a week called back for an individual interview by approximately 7 or 8 around a table. The secret is to be yourself, care about people more than technology. Technology NEVER entered into the equation. Let your true passion for people and their product come out. It's not about "the close" it about the connection.

Interview Questions

• (During the hiring event) Interview the person next to you and tell us why we should hire them.   View Answer
  • Have you ever had an angry or dissatisfied customer? If so, how did you handle the situation? Be specific.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation what so ever, they'll offer a set path. Take it or leave it.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Apple

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple Expert interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Apple employees and interview candidates.