Apple

Updated Mar 2, 2015
Updated Mar 2, 2015

2.9

Family Room Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple in November 2011.

After Steve Jobs passed away, I was on Apple's website reading some stuff about him when I saw the career opportunities link and thought I would apply to the Apple store just for fun. I didn't think anyone would call back since I applied to many smaller, less popular employers to work for than Apple and didn't hear anything from them. Surprisingly, I got an email from an Apple recruiter after about 2 weeks inviting me to a hiring event at a local hotel. The interview was a group interview with many others and multiple managers from different stores in the region present. After that interview, I went home and researched and found that the Apple store usually has a 3 interview process. I got a call back after 2 days for my second interview at the actual store. This was with the store manager and since this was a family room position, with the Genius manager as well. After about 2 days, I was called back for the third interview, this time at the store again. This was with 2 other managers, one responsible for the region as well.

After about a week, I got a call back from the store manager telling me I got the job. I was happy to work for Apple and started the job and training about 1.5 weeks later. All in all, it was a tedious interview process but I'm glad I got the job since I invested so much time and money traveling for it. I'm 2 weeks into the job and still in training and it can seem overwhelming at times with so much to learn, but I have faith in God that He'll help me get through it with a positive attitude and that I'll make a positive contribution to the store and company.

Interview Questions
  • Name a time in your former work experience where you had to deal with an unexpected policy change, and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple in April 2010.

4 interviews, first is a group interview, the rest are meet and greets with upper mgmt. be prepared to kill it in first interview. go over all the typical questions and have 2 different answers. have examples for each question.

they offered i accepted

Family Room Specialist Interview

I went through 3 rounds of interviews and a background check after first interview. Make sure you are friendly and have leadership qualities and make those qualities shine through, especially on the first group setting interview. Apple is not interested in know it all techie types, you must fit the personality profile and they will teach you all the rest. Hope this helps.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever presented an idea to a boss and was given resistance? What did you do to convince them.   View Answer
    No negotiation, its apple either you want the job or not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Apple in May 2011.

Initially, I applied online for a new store position within the area. I was contacted by a recruiter about a month later asking if I would be interested in a phone interview. The phone interview lasted for about 30-40 minutes, and was fairly relaxed. It was mainly to understand my personality and why I wanted to work for Apple. At the end of the interview, I was told that they believed I would be a good fit for the company, but not in the role I applied for. I applied for a "Specialist" position, which is the general sales force. They believed that I would be a much better fit for the "Family Room Specialist" position, which is basic-level tech support for iPhones, iPods and iPads. I was contacted a few weeks later asking if I would like to interview for the position in person, and providing details as to location. When I arrived at the hotel where the interviews were being held, the recruiter immediately welcomed me and asked me to sit in the lobby for a few minutes while they wrap up the previous interviews. A second person was interviewing at the same time as me, in another room. The interview was split with half of the management team in each room, and interviewing (panel style) with both sides for 30 minutes. This interview process was more directed, but still casual. The panels asked questions about my previous work experience, and how I handled certain situations. They did not ask any questions about technical experience or knowledge and focused entirely on what I said to customers and what their reactions were. After the interview was completed, I was advised that I would be contacted in the next few months with more information. After 2 months, I was contacted and offered a job as a Family Room Specialist. It took another month before training started, and I was on the payroll.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when a customer's response was not what you expected it to be, and how were you able to align with the customer and reset their expectation?   Answer Question
    Being new to the world of negotiation, I did not negotiate pay or benefits. They offered me full time employment at a higher rate than what I was currently being paid. I later found out that everyone in the store had negotiated for a higher wage, and I was the lowest paid. I would discuss having at least a slight pay increase from the amount that they offer, but keep it open for accepting the current rate.

Family Room Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple in December 2011.

I applied on the Apple website. A few weeks later I received an invite to a group interview at a local hotel. Was told to dress casual ("We won't be wearing suits, we don't expect you to!") and to expect the event to last about 3 hours. I wore khakis and a polo shirt, the attire ranged from jeans and a backwards hat all the way to a suit and tie. The majority of people wore jeans and a t-shirt, which is what the current employees wore. Didn't seem to have an impact on success/failure.

The group interview started by having everyone quickly introduce themselves, followed by a video about Apple. After the video they asked some questions, both from the video and about products/history not mentioned. I read the Steve Jobs bio a few months ago, that basically covered everything you could possibly want to know (There was also a 20 question work sheet attached to your application, it had a lot of basic Mac and computer questions). After that they had employees talk about the different positions and roles in a store. We then broke up into groups of 5-6, and spread out. An Apple employee and an iPod guided us through a round robin interview process, where each person got a new question. we ended up answering about 3-4 each (Final Question: Why are you right for Apple?). After that we basically were sent on our way. On the way out they had us check "to see if they needed more information on our application". They asked about 10 of us to sit down and wait, turned out it was to go for our second interview. This was about 2.5 hours in.

The second interview was again a group interview, this time they started to split us into groups based apparently on potential position/full vs part time. They were about 5 of us, and 2 managers. The questions got a little more pointed, along the lines of what type of experiences do you have, tech sales etc. Give an example of.....tough customer, bad experience, basically the usual interview questions. Again finished with "Why Apple, and what do you bring to the table?"

After this was asked to stick around for a 3rd interview. This time it was based on position. Myself and another guy were asked to interview as Family Room Specialists. It was the 2 of us and the General Manager and a current FRS. The questions were again a little more specific, and more tech based. At this point it was very comfortable, and if you get this far you'll know what to expect. Don't assume you're good to go tho, you can still lose it. After this, they told us we would hear back from them within 24 hours either way it went. In all, it ended up being about 5.5 hours spent there, the majority of it actively interviewing.

The next day I got a call asking me to a 4th and final interview with the district manager that Friday. I showed up early, he was running a little behind (about 10 minutes). We went to the Starbucks next to the store and sat at a table. He started by asking me to tell him my story, followed by why I would be an asset for Apple. After that it was some tougher questions, mostly the usual personal invterview type stuff: Describe challenging situations, customers, successes, etc. He also asked some really pointed Apple product questions (Time Machine vs Time Capsule??), as well as what my expectations for the position were. There was a lot of back and forth, very fast paced and focused. At the end, I was told that I would recieve a formal offer on Monday. The other candidate for FRS was interviewing later, and that would determine the specific position.

Monday came, I recieved my offer for the FRS position, and was told to come in later in the week to submit my paperwork. I have a week n a half of shadowing coming up, followed by CORE training for 3 days.

A couple of observations: The whole process was big on how awesome Apple was, so if you can't enthusiastically agree don't bother. Everything was focused on personal experiences and qualities, even for the FRS position which is a hybrid sales/tech position. Getting out of the group process required paying attention, answering in the whole group setting and doing very very well in the small group question part. After that, it was a matter of connecting with your interviewer, listening well, and responding quickly intelligently and confidently. Know your Apple stuff, be your self, and be confident. Cant wait to start!!!

Interview Questions
    Was told this is the offer, no room for negotiation.

Family Room Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Apple in April 2011.

The hiring process included multiple phone calls to setup a phone interview followed by a phone interview. A week or to later I had several interviews at Apple headquarters. Each interview was with 2 to 3 people. The interviews were very thorough, covering technical subjects as well as customer service practices. It took a couple of weeks to hear back that they were making me an offer.

Interview Questions
    • There were a couple of technical questions that I didn't know what they were referring to. But generally, it was a good process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple in October 2013.

Got a call from one of the Managers. She asked if I was still interested. She gave me a choice of three times to meet. When I got there, I checked in with another manager. There was a total of three managers there. Only two of the three manaThere was two other applicants

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you have recently delivered more than the customer expected.   View Answer

Family Room Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple.

They normally hire from within for Family Room Specialist. If that's the case you're going to be interviewed with a PANEL of managers. Yes, a panel. A little scary, yes but just be yourself and explain how it'll benefit them to have you in a Family Room role.

Interview Questions
    • They're going to ask you to tell a story of a bad/good customer service situation that you were in. Be prepared to tell a good story. Also, use some Apple vocabulary that you learned from Core. This will put a smile on their face. You're welcome ;)   Answer Question
    Be prepared for some set backs but don't give up the fight if you really want it. Either way, the experience is good for you. Learn from everything.

Family Room Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple in August 2014.

Minimum of 4 interviews I was told
    First was a group interview.
    Second one on one
    Third one on one
    Fourth was another group interview.

Pretty much you must be outgoing and willing to learn and let it be known you want to learn. I had a couple people in my first group interview who were ask "when was a time you failed and what did you learn from it?" He answered "I never fail, that is something that doesn't happen to me." when this happened all i thought was 'well I won't see you again.' I also had a guy ask what the pay was going to be in the first interview which is never good because its an entry level position the whole point is to get hired not really what the pay is.
    The best advise I can give you is be fun in the interview you can laugh. The interviewers were all pretty young and fun. the whole process was about a month. And people when the interview is over ask questions in not one group interview I had did someone ask questions when the interview was over besides me. ask what they do? how they got to where they are? do they like it?

Don't be discouraged but try and stand out, apple only hires who they like. personality and intelligence get you the job. if you are a nerd who thinks they know everything and you act ignorant because you are smart they won't pick you.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had good customer service?
      Why apple?
      Name a time you gave good customer service? (every interview)
      Name a time you failed and what did you learn?
      Your favorite product and why?
      Why are you a good candidate?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Applied online and was called within 2 weeks. First interview was with Store Leader. He was very nice and direct. Second interview was with 2 managers and they were nice as well and kept the questions coming throughout interview. Third interview was with another manager in store and she was very direct and to the point witch I appreciated. By far the toughest of the three interviews. Last interview was with the Market Leader then Store Leader made a guest appearance. It was a relaxing and direct interview with both of them. While process was great.

All interviewers were great! Really got a strong sense that they enjoy and appreciate working at . They all felt like they were apart of something bigger and contributing to society.

I got an offer and after initially accepting, I declined. The job and opportunity was awesome but the timing wasn't right. I'm hopeful when I apply again, I'll be able to get an offer and I'll take the job 100%.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question
    • What are your favorite apps and why?   Answer Question
    I was asked in last interview what I was expecting in terms of salary/pay rate. When they offered the position, it was better than expected. Not much of a negotiation.