Apple Genius Interview Questions & Reviews

54 interviews

2.7

54 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Genius Interview

their methods are very inconsistent and constantly change. They sometimes get you in within large groups, small groups, 1:1. Whatever they feel necessary. Just be prepared to be yourself they will not hire you until they feel that they know who you are

Interview Questions
  • 80% of the talking left up to you. They ask simple and straight forward questions and expect you to talk until your heart is content   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Genius Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Apple.

Internal hire. Three interviews over a month. Interviewed in order of report: Manager, Store Leader, Market Leader. Interviews lasted one hour and generally reviewed performance, expectations, and what candidate can offer.

Interview Questions
    • As an internal candidate, no question was especially difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Metairie, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Metairie, LA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple in July 2010.

rigorous, 3 phone interviews, 3 in person, focus more on value than experience, management super nice almost deceivingly so, more of a chat than an interview not much business discussed, easy training

no negotiation at all

Genius Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Apple.

The interviews are at times difficult. The interesting thing about Apple is they are masterful interviewers. They will ask you the same question by different people at different times and will see if you're consistent in your answers. The interviews can be in group form (hiring events), phone interviews or in person interviews. The interviews can and probably will be multi-leveled meaning that you might meet many different people from the same store.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you failed at something and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Genius Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Hamburg (Germany)
    Anonymous Employee in Hamburg (Germany)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Apple in March 2013.

The interview process is very professional. Lots of group work until you get to the second round. Very personal and about the character. Apple workers love Apple and themselves. They create a great hype around them. At some point they can be very strict, even though they try to be funny all the time.

Genius Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple.

The first "interview" so-to-speak was a hiring even with multiple staff from multiple stores. There were no real questions asked just information about what type of position you are actually applying for and what store. After that was a one on one interview with one of hte managers of the store. This interview was where the real questions were asked. I was asked technical questions (what is ram, rom. etc.) The last interview was with the Market Leader. The last interview was just getting to know you type of interview.

Interview Questions
    • When did you fail at a task and how did you handle the situation   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate pay but that was a lengthy process. I returned the offer about 3 times before I was satisfied

Genius Interview

I interviewed through other source - interviewed at Apple.

Internal interview. Had 3 interviews, family room manager and lead genius, store leader, market leader. Was being groomed for the position for months.

Interview Questions
    • What have you done to prepare yourself for this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Apple.

After applying on the Internet, I went to three separate interviews, until Apple decided to consider other candidates

Interview Questions
    • From your previous employments, who was your favorite/most disliked manager and why;   Answer Question

Genius Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Apple in September 2013.

I was applying for either a Specialist or Family Room Specialist position, and was very surprised to be offered the role of Genius, as I have zero technical background besides a zeal for Mac. I was told that I was hired for my communication skills and personality, and that technical expertise will come as I grow at my job. However, to be quite honest, having now been here for 3 months, jumping straight into the Genius position is quite daunting. I personally recommend master being an FRS first, then decide if Genius is the right fit for you.

HR needs to find different people to fit the team. So, yes, Apple does look for certain character traits (outgoing, friendly, genuinely helpful, smart, cheerful, multi-cultural, interesting, go-getter, people-reader, etc), but you will find that your coworkers come with all different personalities, from all walks of life. Don't think you HAVE to be a crazy-clapping cheerleader, a Mac fanboy, or tech wizard in order to get a position there.

Please read below for my notes from my three interviews. It's rather lengthy because I want to express my appreciation for Glassdoor as well as all the others who have posted about Apple's interview process. If I have not researched on Glassdoor first, I would not have been so confident or well prepared during my interviews!

It's an amazing place to work. Oh, and of course, this is my experience, and your experience can be completely different!

Interview Questions
    • --------------
      First: group interview (30 applicants, 2 hrs long)

As with what everyone else says, take initiative, talk confidently, show up, shine brightly, and make sure you make an impression on your recruiting team. However, it's more important to show you are a leader who leads from behind---promote teamwork within your team is crucial. Secret tip: I always make sure for a group interview, I stay afterwards and ask questions, get some feedback, or even just chitchat for a bit, just to get that extra few minutes to connect with the recruiter or manager. If they ask you further questions or show keen interest in you, you're probably in their good book!

You will be broken up into groups at times and watch some videos about Apple at other times. It's good to know a bit about Apple's history in advance.

1. Intro: introduce your partner (2 min)
      You will be partnered up with another applicant to find out a bit about each other. You will then introduce your partner. Questions:
      Current position.
      Hobby.
      Who inspired you and why.
      This is a crucial time to make a first impression. Raise your hand and be ready to jump up. I promoted my partner a great deal to make THEM look like an ideal Apple employee.

2. Group of four. Present in one sentence why Apple is the highest retailer on planet.
      There is no right approach, really. It's what your team collaboratively comes up with. Show up as a leader, make sure everyone is involved in discussion, or at least contribute. We went for a very short and simple sentence as our group feels that Apple is about simplicity.

3. Two big groups. Each group is led by an Apple recruiter. This is where things can get intimidating if you are not prepared or if you are not good at improvising at the drop of a hat. My suggestion is to look up lists of typical behavioral questions that interviews often ask, and formulate answers for them in advance. Make sure you practice, practice, practice. They want to see STAR in your answer (Situation-Task-Action-Result). But to be honest, it's not as much about your answer (although interesting cases will be more impressionable) as much as your logic, confidence, and body language. I used to be a recruiter for many years, and typically it really comes down to your overall presence.

Ex: 1. Give me a time where you initiated a process that got recognized and taken into effect. 2. Give me a time where you did something that beat the competitors. 3. Tell me a time where your efforts did not come to fruition.

4. Q/A: It's good to raise questions, and Apple recruiters are very good about pre-empting as well.
    • --------------
      Second interview: A day after the initial group interview, I got a call for second interview for following week, at the store with two team leaders, 30min long

Setting: casual, we simply sit at chairs at the store
      Q:
      1. Typical questions they will want to know: Tell me about yourself, how did you end up here?
      2. What kind of positions are you are seeking? Where would you like to end up? Why?
      3. How would you handle fast pace environments, with many quick deadlines?

Basically they want to see if your skills are transferable, if you are an "Apple type" person that they are seeking.
    • ------------------
      Third interview: A day after the second interview, I received another call for third manager with the store manager for the following week. Also about 30 min long. I was told to not worry, relax and just be myself. It ended up being another casual 30 min chat, very organic, not structured. The manager is nice and chatty, although I was still a bit intimidated by him!

1. He introduced himself, his position, how he got there, Apple retail operation, philosophy, etc.
      2. He asked me the usual: Tell me about yourself, what do you want to get out of working here, why work at Apple, which positions are you interested and why.
      3. As I told him about myself (probably talked a little too much on my part), the manager started digging in to make sure I would be a good fit for his team. He also was quick to ask and notice everything about me. For instance, he noticed I had several months off, so he asked me immediately "what have you been doing those past few months?" probably just to see how I would occupy my time.
      4. He was pretty insistent on the heavy workload, lots of hours, fast-paced, needing people who will be totally flexible and dedicated, and total Saturday and Sunday availability because they are so busy on weekend. (All true, by the way, this job is no cake walk!)
      5. Finally, as usual, your interview will end with "do you have questions for me?" Prepare lots because this is where they will give great insight, like what is challenging to them, how Apple's training is more about psychology (on you and customers')

------------------
      Afterwards, I was told by the store manager to wait patiently (he waited six months without ever hearing from Apple). It did take about 4 weeks for my offer to come, but every week, I would get either a phone call or an email to tell me that they are still working on my application. So, if you don't hear back from them, don't panic, but feel free to follow up with them. Getting the names and emails of interviews is a good idea in general so you can send them a thank you letter, which no one does anymore!
        Answer Question
    • TIP: Make sure you formulate a couple of good examples that you can use for various behavioral questions they will ask. And be ready because some managers will ask you off the wall questions or even brain teasers just for the fun of it! (it's Apple, what do you expect?!)   Answer Question
    Becoming a Genius right off the bat was totally unexpected surprise, so I was extremely delighted for my offer. So, sidestepping to Genius is possible, but rare. Apple does not offer much negotiations in terms of salary, but as for weekend work requirements, I was able to get Sunday mornings off for church.

Genius Interview

I went to a hiring event where there were about 20 people. It was very behavioral and they split you up into groups. They didn't ask technical questions, but they asked a lot of behavior-specific questions. You can tell that they are looking for someone who exhibits and demonstrates excitement towards Apple products. I went to three more interviews after that before I got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were specific-- keep in mind that they are looking for examples that demonstrate behavior specific actions.   Answer Question

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!