Apple Genius Interview Questions

Updated Dec 7, 2014

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Apple (Carlsbad, CA).

Interview

Long and stupid

Interview Questions

• Nothing really. They just make the whole thing drawn out and retarded to justify their status and ridiculous prices.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Apple (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

There were a significant number of interviews - probably about five or six - and many, many times of actually visiting stores and talking to managers in person. It was a multi-month process (probably 4 months) before a phone offer was tendered. Interviews occurred with assistant managers first, then the senior assistant manager, then the store manager, then the market manager.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions are terribly difficult - it's primarily a process of asking questions such as "why do you love Apple technology?" or "explain a situation where you had to mitigate conflict?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable pay and benefits. It's a massive, international retail operation. The only things that will make you more competitive and possibly able to ask for better pay are higher certifications.

Genius Interview

Interview

Hiring and interview process is lengthy but is in place to ensure we higher only the best candidates.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Straight forward, hourly retail position.

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Apple (Honolulu, HI) in February 2013.

Interview

TL;DR version = Long process, lots of other people applying, didn't get hired. :(

Detailed version (Recommend that you read): Hiring was as simple as going to the Apple Jobs website, signing in (with your Apple ID), uploading (or typing out) your resume and selecting the available jobs based on your region. It took almost a month to get a response, to which you're sent to their job seminar where you get to see a glimpse of what it's like to work at the Apple Store. Of course, this is the "cult" aspect. The interview portion was after all the bells and whistles, and they were basic, typical interview questions as well as scenarios. The typical group size was about 20 for a total of 60 people (3 interviews, 20 people a piece).

A couple days after the interview, I was asked to attend another interview with a smaller group. The interview took place last week; almost a month after receiving this phone call! This interview was more Q&A based and they asked questions about our experiences with Apple retail, and other work experiences. The interview only took about 40 minutes, and they told us that from here on, we're either going to hire you, ask for another interview, or place you in the "pipeline" for future a future hiring (basically a nice way of saying that you didn't get hired). Well, lets just say that i'm in that pipeline, which I found disappointing because I poured my heart into these interviews.

Interview Questions

• Scenario: You're dealing with an angry customer who was waiting for help for the past 20 minutes and is causing a commotion. She claims that she'll just walk over to Best Buy or the Microsoft Store to get the computer she wants. Resolve this issue.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple (Columbus, OH) in February 2012.

Interview

Talked to market lead, had been with the company for 2 years. Easy interview.

Negotiation

Asked for $18 an hour

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied about three months ago and just got an email about two weeks ago. I was asked some pretty slandered questions, then asked to set up a phone call. During the call I was asked questions about me, and my work history. Then I was given a choice to answer questions about a Mac, or a PC. I Know more about the PC, but I choose Mac because I wanted challenge. The questions were pretty easy, mostly about diagnostics, a couple of mobile device questions were thrown in there. I was then told that all went good, and I would receive a email next week. Early Monday morning I got an email from another recruitment manager who asked for another phone interview, I set that up for Wednesday morning, hopefully all goes well. I am not really sure what the position entails in reality, I read the description, but I know these things are always different when you actually work there. I assume that the tech's (genius's) are split into categories like: Mobile, iMac, and Macbook. I am not sure also about the pay, I have heard many different things, but it seems pretty low to me, although I am sure that it is DOE. Oh well I am not really banking too much on it, if I get an offer, great. If not I am not too concern, I figure that it is worth checking out though, they seem like a neat company to work for.

Interview Questions

• What would you use the VERBOS command for   2 Answers
    • What would you tell a customer who brought in a iPod shuffle and they were having issues with the voice commands?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple (South Bend, IN) in August 2011.

Interview

I arrived 15 minutes early to find most of the other applicants already there. I found the Apple employee taking names and giving out name tags and waited for the interview to start. We walked in to loud music, clapping, and cheering. It really is an event.

We spent time establishing ground rules and expectations, which you would do well to participate in. Then we watched a video about Apple, listened to the recruiters explain their positions, and broke up into groups. There wasn't a lot of opportunity to speak during the first part (which lasted at least an hour), so do your best to pay attention to the movie and come up with answers to their questions.

The group portion was different. We broke up into groups of 4-6 and introduced ourselves (What is your name, what superpower do you wish you had, and which position at Apple are you applying for?).

Then we rolled a cube that had questions printed on it and answered one. Finally, we role-played a customer/employee experience for about a minute with one of the recruiters. The one downside here is that they tell you nothing about it, so you are left guessing. (For example, they don't tell you what "product" they are holding in their hands, so you have to ask what would otherwise be obvious questions).

After the group session is over, we sat back at our tables and watched a second movie. Then we spent 10 minutes asking them questions. Once that was finished, we were dismissed. They told us they would contact us by the end of the week.

Interview Questions

• What position do you want most at the Apple Store?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you exceeded your expectations and why.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple (Chicago, IL) in April 2011.

Interview

Will get a call from a recruiter, if you don't fit the culture, you'll first go to a hiring seminar. Sometimes you're pushed to the first interview. You will have anywhere from 3-4 interviews (not including the hiring seminar).

Interview Questions

• They will ask questions, but you won't even begin to comprehend why. You will think they're topical, but they are simplistic. The only thing they want to know at the retail level is that you have a passion for apple, serious technical or sales experience and this glowing personality that will attract people. Apple hires the best combination of this people and also likes them to be creative and dynamic. To use the products.   Answer Question

Negotiation

only got a couple dollar increase after going back so many times. There are brackets for those who are brought on, you can only really negotiate an additional 2 dollars...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple (San Francisco, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

The entire face to face interview was focused on customer service and customer experience rather than technical knowledge.They did have me take a test for the tech stuff but they mainly wanted to see how I would react to different customer issues and scenarios. It was obvious that they would rather an empathetic tech guy than a know it all.

Interview Questions

• How would you tell a customer that their hard drive is fried and there is no way to recover any of the data?   Answer Question

Genius Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Apple in November 2010.

Interview

5 interviews

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Gave me a number