Apple Global Supply Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2015

3.2

Global Supply Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Apple in April 2015.

Interview

Received a call from a Recruiter indicating that the Hiring Manager has reviewed my Resume and wanted to speak. I was next contacted by a Scheduler who scheduled the date and time for the call. On that day I waited anxiously for the call to arrive, but the Hiring manager never called. I received a call about 15 minutes later from the Recruiter stating that she got busy and we would reschedule. Next, I received a new date for the call from the Scheduler. I took the day off of work so to not be distracted. Again, the call never happened. The Recruiter called again and apologized. He said that he would speak to the Hiring manager to see what happened and would be in touch as soon as he spoke to her. One week later, after not hearing again from the Recruiter about his conversation with the Hiring manger, I called the Recruiter. He told me that the Hiring manger hired someone else.
This experience was poor on SO MANY fronts. Why did they even set up the call, if they did not want to speak to me? Next, why when the Recruiter promised to call me back after he spoke to the Hiring manager, did he not call me? I had to call him. To make matters even worse, this exact same thing happened to me last year!
Apple may make a nice smart phone, but their recruiting process absolutely is the worst!

Interview Questions

• Would you be open to relocating to Cupertino, CA.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

I was reached out to initially by a recruiter on LinkedIn asking if I was interested and she conducted a basic phone screen. My resume was then reviewed at what seemed to be a weekly director meeting after which I was then transferred to another recruiter. Following this, I did an interview with one of the directors which consisted of deeper probing into my background and relevance to the role. This part of the process took about two weeks. Following this, I was invited on site for over ten back to back 30 min interviews at two locations - candidates are expected to get themselves from one location to the next which is rather stressful. The amount of different people was incredibly taxing – be sure you prepare yourself for a full day of being 'on'.

Unfortunately in my experience, two of my interviewers did not show up and I was asked to tack on a redo interview at the end of the day – only the interviewer didn't show up again. Life at Apple seems rather chaotic, but as an interviewee I was left with a pretty negative perception about their interest in my candidacy as a result of no-shows, last minute interviewer substitutions, and constant multi tasking on their phones during my interview.

For those interested about worklife balance, I asked rather directly about this. It seems that in this job you are always on call. I was told by several individuals that the company was trying to change this, but it was more easily said than done. Many reflected that they had needed to cancel vacations in order to meet with deadlines. One individual even said that he would ask for a demotion if he wasn't able to answer his emails with the needed after hours frequency because that was the promise that applicants make when they except the job.

I was also told in one of my interviews that one shouldn't take this position if they are looking to excel to a leadership role or increase responsibilities. Focus should remain on learning and delivering product.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult negotiation. Tell me about a time where you had to creatively solve a supply or demand issue. What is your familiarity with should cost models? How would you break down the cost of this item in front of you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Standard with some behavioral questions. They are mostly looking for passion and a lot of energy levels. Eat well and have a free mind when you go there..most important just be urself

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you made your supervisor angry   1 Answer
    • How many children are Born every day   Answer Question

Global Supply Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

This was a phone interview.

We setup the date and it was rescheduled last minute which was annoying. Setup another time and had a different person call me from the initial person that was supposed to call. Talked about supply chain related questions (are you willing to travel, how do you select a supplier, how will you calculate cost) etc.

Got a call the next day to have another phone interview. We set it up but that call was rescheduled at the last minute again. Had a no show on the rescheduled date and I was initially told they will investigate the no show but it later turned out they were not ready to consider me for the job (this was sent to me in an email).

All in all I was surprised with how many times we had to reschedule and the way I was told I was not going to be considered for the job.

Interview Questions

• How will you calculate the cost of a component from a supplier?   2 Answers

Global Supply Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple in October 2014.

Interview

Very professional and organized. Behavioral, technical, strategic based interview questions. They are very prompt and efficient during the process. Be specific and concise when answering. I stuck with the STAR model and they seemed to appreciate that. HR spent extra time answering specific questions I had about the company and culture. They did not mind open and honest questions and provided transparency in their feedback.

Interview Questions

• How would you extract value from a large key commodity supplier when you have not BATNA to consider?   Answer Question

Compensation

Global Supply Manager Interview

Interview

The whole process was very polished and professional. The HR reps were prompt and sharp. Interviewing potential supervisors was somewhat nerve-wracking, because they seemed to have keen "b.s. sensing" attributes. Questions were difficult, mostly about describing exactly how you performed in the past. Follow-on questions tested the validity of your answers. Strong emphasis in work ethic, how you perform under pressure, ability to travel frequently, and maturity. From recruitment to offer, 2 month time span.

Interview Questions

• How would you price this USB drive?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Apple has fair compensation packages. They are less inclined to negotiate, but seem to put forward their best offer up front.

Global Supply Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Apple in July 2014.

Interview

Reached out by a recruiter via LinkedIn. The process was very efficient and professional at beginning. Both HR phone call and first round of phone interview went well and got positive feedback. The second phone interviewer was out of office on the day of and a back up was scheduled. He was 8 mins late and told me about himself then before any question, he said this is a very general interview just tell me anything you think is relevant on your resume. He doesn't seem interested and asked some questions such as how often you travel etc and ended phone call 3 mins early.
    I been try to get feedback for couple weeks but couldn't get any response from recruiter. I guess when they don't want you, they won't waste anytime.

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

Very intense interview process. First there was a phone interview and then flew out to Cupertino. Interviews were for the whole day and ranged from technical to general to behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected question: - three doors are in front of you. one of them has a brand new car and the other two have haystack. You can open only one which would you choose. and then after you choose. one of the other doors are open to show you the haystack. Now would you change your decision or keep it the same? From the movie 21. Hadn't watched it then.   1 Answer

Negative reviews about the job profile and work life balance or lack thereof

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

Reached out by a recruiter, have an initial phone interview with a GSM director, and went on-site interview with 6 GSM/director. They gave me a operations manager offer, and i turned down. ANd they came back with another GSM offer, but i still turned it down. But overall, i think the experience were really great, the recruiter was very efficient, not much room for negotiation and they expected you to response back within 2 days. But i was surprised they came back with another offer when i declined the first one, and asked me to go to their campus again for a follow up interview with the new team. I feel a bit sorry that i didn't take the offer in the end..

Interview Questions

• All questions were not as tough as i thought earlier. Pretty standard ones, asking about cost modeling, negotiation experience, and behavioral questions.   Answer Question

The travel requirement is a lot higher than i expected, and the pressure under the team as i learnt from my insider friends were not i was looking for in a long term career.

Global Supply Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

I was contacted by an Apple recruiter on LinkedIn and my resume was passed along to the various groups with in Apple. A few days later I was contacted and interviewed by a senior recruiter . General questions like” why do you want to join apple” etc followed by the hiring Manager interview . The hiring Manager interview was rescheduled two times Again only general questions. I was brought onsite for ½ day interview with about 7 different folks. Mostly “STAR” questions. The onsite was conducted well and professionally. I was over qualified for this position.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me a time when you... ". STAR type of questions. Strong on behavior and team work   Answer Question