Apple Hardware Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2014

3.6

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Apple.

Applied online and HR reached me out. First interview was with HR to see where I stand. Then an engineer from the department interviewed asking more technical questions related to resume. It was followed by a more technical interview where I was asked to write down circuit questions and solve/explain. I was then given a 24-hour assignment which included a design/business questions and 4 pretty difficult circuit questions. It was followed by 2 more phone interviews by s different engineer and engineering manager.

Interview Questions
  • I was given a 24-hour assignment for opamps. Questions are confidential.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Hardware Engineer Interview

Quick-paced. Some interviewers were more respectful than others. Overall a good experience to be able to interview with some of the brightest engineers in industry.

Interview Questions
    • Why is there a null for a dipole antenna along its vertical axis?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Apple.

Initial "informal chat" that was actually an interview on campus. Asked a mix of technical questions (stress/strain diagram, necking, etc) and design questions based on an example in my resume (they asked me to redesign a project I'd worked on based on fake client feedback). And a brain teaser. Some discussion about finite element analysis work that I'd done after my freshman year and some in-depth questions on how FEA works.

Second interview was 30m phone interview with 2 hardware engineers. I expected technical questions but got none. The interview was all about how my design process works, and was rather ambiguous.

Interview Questions
    • Advantages/disadvantages of tetrahedron and hexagonal FEA elements.   Answer Question

On site interview

Interview Questions
    • It was the first round. Nothing special, just normal FSM, and simple C questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple in July 2013.

A recruiter called me and set up an interview with the hiring manager. He liked me and wanted me to speak with 2 others on the phone. They flew me out to Cupertino for some onsite interviews: 7 back to back whiteboard interviews. The phone interviews were mostly about debugging skills and programming, while the onsite interview questions were thoughtful design questions.

Interview Questions
    • Block diagram a schematic to interface 1000 sensors and collect information from them at intervals while minimizing CPU usage.   View Answer

Hardware Engineer Interview

Interview was long, deeply technical, and challenging. I found it fun. Wish I had studied up on analog circuitry beforehand - was vastly unprepared for that discussion and that's what lost me the interview. Oops! Some questions were detailed design questions that required 30-45 minutes to completely answer in detail. This was perfectly acceptable.

Interview Questions
    • Design questions on analog op amp circuits. Should not have been difficult or unexpected, but I'd been doing nothing but pure digital circuits for years and needed a review.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Apple.

Telephone interview first, technical questions related to your projects. Then onsite interview in cupertino. 90% technical questions, 10% behavior and brain teaser. Make sure to be familiar with your resume cause you will spend most of your time talking about your projects. Review the basics of circuit, device and probability.

Interview Questions
    • No very hard questions. All basic models and calculation. Just be sure to prepare fully, and present yourself in confidence.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in March 2013.

Engaged via an unsolicited LinkedIn request for interview. While I'm happily employed already, I thought I'd see what they had to offer. The initial phone interview was somewhat technical, lasted about 50 minutes (scheduled for 30), with the first 25 being the interviewer asking questions about my experience and resume. Nothing tricky, just what I'd put on the resume. T This interviewer was an electrical engineer with an iPad / iPod team. There weren't any technical questions except those derived from my resume.

Next I did an in-person interview with 8 people, each for around 30 minutes, except for the lunch slot which was 1 hour (including a trip to the Apple cafeteria.) These interviews were highly technical, involved a lot of white-boarding, and are designed to see how a candidate thinks as well as what they know. It was clear that all the interviewers were very intelligent, and they came off as friendly and able to mentor other engineers. I would be please to work with them (except 1, who arrived late and was completely unprepared. He asked me for a paper copy of my resume (which I didn't have! Who brings paper to an interview these days? Every other interviewer carried an iPad and iPhone.) In summary, they will find the limit of your knowledge: be prepared for that, and answer their questions to the best of your abilities, but know your limits and state when you don't know an answer. Remember, they want to know how you THINK too. They will encourage you think and try and solve it on the spot given tidbits of knowledge.

There was also one really excellent "scenario" question. I've elected not to share it. However, the majority of questions were on technical concepts coming out of my resume (tradeoffs in synchronous buck regulator design, I2C pullup sizing, bandwidth constraints, DRAM estimation) and my ideas of product development (describe the product design flow.) I also whiteboarded the exact same block diagram of a previous design I'd built for 3 or 4 of the reviewers, each who asked their own questions about design decisions, implementation, tradeoffs, testing, etc.

In summary, I found the interview process challenging but enjoyable. I came away feeling like I could work with these guys and really learn something. However, I did get the impression that, without years of background in product development, one would be stuck at a "junior" level for several product development cycles.

Interview Questions
    • Instead of hiring you to be a hardware engineer, we'd like you to build a house. Ask me all the questions you need in order to build me a house.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Apple.

Master student - 1 round interview - after the university career fair.
    I heard that Apple came to our university because of the career fair. After I submitted my resume, a week later, they send me an e-mail to schedule the "1vs1 interview". But, they want to hire verification engineer which is not match to my major. So, i didn't get the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • They try to ask a lot of questions related verilog language.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Apple in December 2012.

Three different phone interviews, each with one or two engineers on the iPhone systems integration team. They asked several questions about basic circuit design, no curve balls. Otherwise they'd ask more open ended questions, things like the future of interfacing with devices or the theory behind capacitive touch. There was very little time to chat about other things (such as personal projects), but when we did, it was usually technical. They're a sharp bunch of guys, and great interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • How else could you design a touch interface for a device (besides capacitive touch)?   View Answer
    Negotiation is difficult until you're actually working there. Until you're in the lab on your first day, good luck trying to sort out anything.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!