Apple

Updated Dec 4, 2014

3.6

34 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple in November 2010.

The interview process begins with several 30 mins technical phone interviews first (No HR phone screen for my case), the phone interviews are just basic technical background review and simply text-book questions. Hours later, they invited me to do an on-site interview in Cupertino. It is much harder than I expected.
The on-site interview consisted of 15 people 1:1, each of them has 30mins, from 10am-6pm non-stop with a lunch interview in 12. Each interviewer has different backgrounds so their questions could be very hard at some time.

Just in my point of view,
1. Don't wing it. If you don't know just say no. You can imagine like 15 guys ask you question from every sides of technical background, you would probably need 3 phd to answer them all correctly. So just be honest and they will really appreciate that. I missed a lot of questions, and some of them I have totally no idea of, all I did is tell them I don't know and show the potential to learn.
2. Pay attention to detail. That's very important. Be well prepared for your presentation and materials if they interested. Try your best to show them how much you focused on details. Get yourself some extra copies of those printed materials and bind them neatly.
3. It is all about communications. The communication in an on-site interview is even important than technical part. They want to know who you really are and whether you are good to deal with in the future if they really want you. So when you past the 1st round interview already, be smart and ALWAYS show your good altitude. Keep smile at all time.
I got the unofficial offer hours later. The interview process overall is positive and all the interviewers are very nice. They shown their enthusiasm about their job during the interview.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Interview Questions
I have no other offers on hand, so accepted this offer with no conditions.

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Apple in October 2011.

First phone interview, then a 24 hour assignment, then on-site interview with about 10 different managers. Received and accepted offer about a week after interview.
    Interview questions were very technical and consisted of solving problems live on whiteboard.
    Don't let a bad interview ruin your recruiting process: I believe I blew a couple of interviews but was pretty good on others. I felt like 5 good interviews versus 3 bad ones and I got the job. Just stay polite and answer the questions as good as you can. Tell the interviewers how you think, I believe that's more important than if you solve all the problems correctly. Think structured and pay attention to detail!

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple.

There were 2 initial phone screens. The first one is purely technical and is moderately difficult. The second one is technical and behavioral. But that is a tough technical interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Initial "informal chat" that was actually an interview on campus. Asked a mix of technical questions (stress/strain diagram, necking, etc) and design questions based on an example in my resume (they asked me to redesign a project I'd worked on based on fake client feedback). And a brain teaser. Some discussion about finite element analysis work that I'd done after my freshman year and some in-depth questions on how FEA works.

Second interview was 30m phone interview with 2 hardware engineers. I expected technical questions but got none. The interview was all about how my design process works, and was rather ambiguous.

Interview Questions
    • Advantages/disadvantages of tetrahedron and hexagonal FEA elements.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple in October 2013.

Gave my resume and talking to an Engineer at my university's career fair. Was contacted
    a couple weeks later for a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Just really detailed questions on the hardware of Macs.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple in July 2013.

A recruiter called me and set up an interview with the hiring manager. He liked me and wanted me to speak with 2 others on the phone. They flew me out to Cupertino for some onsite interviews: 7 back to back whiteboard interviews. The phone interviews were mostly about debugging skills and programming, while the onsite interview questions were thoughtful design questions.

Interview Questions
    • Block diagram a schematic to interface 1000 sensors and collect information from them at intervals while minimizing CPU usage.   View Answer

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Applied online and HR reached me out. First interview was with HR to see where I stand. Then an engineer from the department interviewed asking more technical questions related to resume. It was followed by a more technical interview where I was asked to write down circuit questions and solve/explain. I was then given a 24-hour assignment which included a design/business questions and 4 pretty difficult circuit questions. It was followed by 2 more phone interviews by s different engineer and engineering manager.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a 24-hour assignment for opamps. Questions are confidential.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Apple in November 2013.

I had three separate phone interviews, each of which lasted about 45 minutes to 1 hour. In all three interviews, I was asked about my resume briefly and then they proceeded to ask more technical questions. The questions were a mix of software questions (reversing a linked list, converting a string "145" into its integer equivalent using ASCII, etc.) and hardware questions (how to make a gate from transistors, how to implement a Q-Flip Flop from a D-Flip Flop, making amplifiers out of certain components, etc.). I was contacted a week after my third interview with an offer (internship).

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question I had to how to implement a Q-Flip Flop from a D-Flip Flop. Basically, it involved using 2 DFFs (or more if you wanted).   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple in October 2014.

I applied online and was contacted within a week or two by a recruiter. The recruiters were very helpful and kind, but I didn't get the same feeling from the team I interviewed with. I had an initial skype interview with my would-be manager, who asked a long series of questions spanning analog design, low-level programming, and DSP (I'm a EE). After the initial interview, I was given a programming assignment to complete on my own and had a follow-up interview with the group manager. Both engineers I spoke to were very short and gave me the feeling that they didn't have time to talk to me. After multiple interviews, I was given a very gentle "no" by the recruiter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Apple in November 2011.

I was scheduled for an onsite interview on Oct 30th. After I have booked the hotel and flight, they told me the interviewers were not available for that day and they wanted me to do it the week after. In the next week, I was informed they wanted to change the schedule again. The interview finally happend 3 weeks later but the recruiter won't tell me in which building I will be interviewed until the night before the interview. You know what? No body showed up after 20mins of the scheduled time, and I got a calling saying they want to switch the interview to another building. Fine. I final see the first interviewer. After talking to him, I waited more than 40mins for the 2nd interviewer. No interviewer is on time and they are RUDE... Apple might be a good place for work but please be respectful to the interviewees.