Apple Hardware Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 11, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Apple (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

It was for a duration of about half an hour. The interviewer called on time. As it was for a hardware position , I was mainly asked questions on Digital circuit design.

Interview Questions

• What is a difference in the architecture of a normal and a pipeline processor?   Answer Question
  • How will you implement an and gate using a 2x1 mux?   Answer Question
  • What are the three stages of operation of a transistor   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

The process was very smoothly organized and everyone was polite. They had a call first for ~15 minutes, and then invited me for an onsite interview. There was some miscommunication about scheduling, so at one point I had to wait in the interview room for 45 minutes before the next interviewer showed up. I still haven’t heard back from them one way or the other after about a month.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my master's thesis, which was several years old   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

Talked to recruiter on job fair, and was invited to have an interview the next day. Sent me an email to create a personal profile, upload resume, cover letter, etc. Interview with the same recruiter, went straight to technical questions. No behavior questions or go through your resume. Lasted half an hour, never heard back ever since.

Hardware Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Talked to hardware engineer at an on-campus career fair, was asked to do in-person interview on-campus the following day. We mostly talked about my project team work; I think I was pretty confusing and kept jumping between different ideas. After that I sent a thank you note. A week later I got a cryptic email from Apply saying they were circulating my resume among departments. Was never officially rejected.

Interview Questions

• How to remove one transistor from a CMOS inverter in the context of a PCB.   1 Answer
    • Derive the transfer function/ draw the time-domain impulse response of an RC low pass filter.   1 Answer

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

I was referred by a friend. Got contacted by HR first and arranged a phone interview by engineer manager. I had hard time understand the interviewer's India-English (sorry, no offense). He didn't ask resume experiences. He asked technical questions, no behavior questions. You need to study more fundamental technical knowledge for the interview.

Interview Questions

• I got out of school for quite a while, have to review school texts for the technical questions.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted within a week or two by a recruiter. The recruiters were very helpful and kind, but I didn't get the same feeling from the team I interviewed with. I had an initial skype interview with my would-be manager, who asked a long series of questions spanning analog design, low-level programming, and DSP (I'm a EE). After the initial interview, I was given a programming assignment to complete on my own and had a follow-up interview with the group manager. Both engineers I spoke to were very short and gave me the feeling that they didn't have time to talk to me. After multiple interviews, I was given a very gentle "no" by the recruiter.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Apple in November 2013.

Interview

I had three separate phone interviews, each of which lasted about 45 minutes to 1 hour. In all three interviews, I was asked about my resume briefly and then they proceeded to ask more technical questions. The questions were a mix of software questions (reversing a linked list, converting a string "145" into its integer equivalent using ASCII, etc.) and hardware questions (how to make a gate from transistors, how to implement a Q-Flip Flop from a D-Flip Flop, making amplifiers out of certain components, etc.). I was contacted a week after my third interview with an offer (internship).

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question I had to how to implement a Q-Flip Flop from a D-Flip Flop. Basically, it involved using 2 DFFs (or more if you wanted).   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Interview

I got an email from LinkedIn asking for my resume. One week late, I got the on phone interview appointment. Only one day to prepare. I was asked some questions about sizing, power. Those questions are very basic, you can find answer in any VLSI book. I wasn't asked anything on my resume.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple in October 2014.

Interview

Met with recruiter at the career fair, who called a mechanical engineer over and we chatted for a bit about design and manufacturing operations. He asked if we could meet later in the afternoon, to which I replied yes, and a few hours later I was in a full fledged interview. I presented on my projects and was then asked technical questions. It's been a bit over a week, waiting for a reply.

Interview Questions

• Draw shear/bending moment diagram. What is a material that is much stronger in compression than in tension?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process went smoothly and efficiently. It involved a phone screening by the recruiter, two rounds of technical phone interview, and one round of onsite interview. The interview day was well arranged, although it took almost an entire day just like other companies I interviewed. The trip arrangement system is nice, which allows you to pick your flight schedule, your choice of hotel and rental car. Engineers are in general friendly and open-minded. Overall a great experience.