Apple Hardware Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 11, 2015

3.5

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple in October 2014.

Interview

Met with recruiter at the career fair, who called a mechanical engineer over and we chatted for a bit about design and manufacturing operations. He asked if we could meet later in the afternoon, to which I replied yes, and a few hours later I was in a full fledged interview. I presented on my projects and was then asked technical questions. It's been a bit over a week, waiting for a reply.

Interview Questions

• Draw shear/bending moment diagram. What is a material that is much stronger in compression than in tension?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

Applied online and HR reached me out. First interview was with HR to see where I stand. Then an engineer from the department interviewed asking more technical questions related to resume. It was followed by a more technical interview where I was asked to write down circuit questions and solve/explain. I was then given a 24-hour assignment which included a design/business questions and 4 pretty difficult circuit questions. It was followed by 2 more phone interviews by s different engineer and engineering manager.

Interview Questions

• I was given a 24-hour assignment for opamps. Questions are confidential.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Interview

Quick-paced. Some interviewers were more respectful than others. Overall a good experience to be able to interview with some of the brightest engineers in industry.

Interview Questions

• Why is there a null for a dipole antenna along its vertical axis?   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Apple in November 2013.

Interview

I had three separate phone interviews, each of which lasted about 45 minutes to 1 hour. In all three interviews, I was asked about my resume briefly and then they proceeded to ask more technical questions. The questions were a mix of software questions (reversing a linked list, converting a string "145" into its integer equivalent using ASCII, etc.) and hardware questions (how to make a gate from transistors, how to implement a Q-Flip Flop from a D-Flip Flop, making amplifiers out of certain components, etc.). I was contacted a week after my third interview with an offer (internship).

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question I had to how to implement a Q-Flip Flop from a D-Flip Flop. Basically, it involved using 2 DFFs (or more if you wanted).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Durham, NC).

Interview

Initial "informal chat" that was actually an interview on campus. Asked a mix of technical questions (stress/strain diagram, necking, etc) and design questions based on an example in my resume (they asked me to redesign a project I'd worked on based on fake client feedback). And a brain teaser. Some discussion about finite element analysis work that I'd done after my freshman year and some in-depth questions on how FEA works. Second interview was 30m phone interview with 2 hardware engineers. I expected technical questions but got none. The interview was all about how my design process works, and was rather ambiguous.

Interview Questions

• Advantages/disadvantages of tetrahedron and hexagonal FEA elements.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Interview

On site interview

Interview Questions

• It was the first round. Nothing special, just normal FSM, and simple C questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

A recruiter called me and set up an interview with the hiring manager. He liked me and wanted me to speak with 2 others on the phone. They flew me out to Cupertino for some onsite interviews: 7 back to back whiteboard interviews. The phone interviews were mostly about debugging skills and programming, while the onsite interview questions were thoughtful design questions.

Interview Questions

• Block diagram a schematic to interface 1000 sensors and collect information from them at intervals while minimizing CPU usage.   1 Answer

Hardware Engineer Interview

Interview

Interview was long, deeply technical, and challenging. I found it fun. Wish I had studied up on analog circuitry beforehand - was vastly unprepared for that discussion and that's what lost me the interview. Oops! Some questions were detailed design questions that required 30-45 minutes to completely answer in detail. This was perfectly acceptable.

Interview Questions

• Design questions on analog op amp circuits. Should not have been difficult or unexpected, but I'd been doing nothing but pure digital circuits for years and needed a review.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Engaged via an unsolicited LinkedIn request for interview. While I'm happily employed already, I thought I'd see what they had to offer. The initial phone interview was somewhat technical, lasted about 50 minutes (scheduled for 30), with the first 25 being the interviewer asking questions about my experience and resume. Nothing tricky, just what I'd put on the resume. T This interviewer was an electrical engineer with an iPad / iPod team. There weren't any technical questions except those derived from my resume. Next I did an in-person interview with 8 people, each for around 30 minutes, except for the lunch slot which was 1 hour (including a trip to the Apple cafeteria.) These interviews were highly technical, involved a lot of white-boarding, and are designed to see how a candidate thinks as well as what they know. It was clear that all the interviewers were very intelligent, and they came off as friendly and able to mentor other engineers. I would be please to work with them (except 1, who arrived late and was completely unprepared. He asked me for a paper copy of my resume (which I didn't have! Who brings paper to an interview these days? Every other interviewer carried an iPad and iPhone.) In summary, they will find the limit of your knowledge: be prepared for that, and answer their questions to the best of your abilities, but know your limits and state when you don't know an answer. Remember, they want to know how you THINK too. They will encourage you think and try and solve it on the spot given tidbits of knowledge. There was also one really excellent "scenario" question. I've elected not to share it. However, the majority of questions were on technical concepts coming out of my resume (tradeoffs in synchronous buck regulator design, I2C pullup sizing, bandwidth constraints, DRAM estimation) and my ideas of product development (describe the product design flow.) I also whiteboarded the exact same block diagram of a previous design I'd built for 3 or 4 of the reviewers, each who asked their own questions about design decisions, implementation, tradeoffs, testing, etc. In summary, I found the interview process challenging but enjoyable. I came away feeling like I could work with these guys and really learn something. However, I did get the impression that, without years of background in product development, one would be stuck at a "junior" level for several product development cycles.

Interview Questions

• Instead of hiring you to be a hardware engineer, we'd like you to build a house. Ask me all the questions you need in order to build me a house.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

Telephone interview first, technical questions related to your projects. Then onsite interview in cupertino. 90% technical questions, 10% behavior and brain teaser. Make sure to be familiar with your resume cause you will spend most of your time talking about your projects. Review the basics of circuit, device and probability.

Interview Questions

• No very hard questions. All basic models and calculation. Just be sure to prepare fully, and present yourself in confidence.   1 Answer