Apple Hardware Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 11, 2015

3.5

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

Master student - 1 round interview - after the university career fair.
I heard that Apple came to our university because of the career fair. After I submitted my resume, a week later, they send me an e-mail to schedule the "1vs1 interview". But, they want to hire verification engineer which is not match to my major. So, i didn't get the job offer.

Interview Questions

• They try to ask a lot of questions related verilog language.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

Three different phone interviews, each with one or two engineers on the iPhone systems integration team. They asked several questions about basic circuit design, no curve balls. Otherwise they'd ask more open ended questions, things like the future of interfacing with devices or the theory behind capacitive touch. There was very little time to chat about other things (such as personal projects), but when we did, it was usually technical. They're a sharp bunch of guys, and great interviewers.

Interview Questions

• How else could you design a touch interface for a device (besides capacitive touch)?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation is difficult until you're actually working there. Until you're in the lab on your first day, good luck trying to sort out anything.

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

The phone interview with the senior engineer and manager had several technical and supplier management questions. I answered every question even to my surprise with a 100% score. The senior engineer was so excited he said at the end of the conversation he was going to recommend me highly. A few days later I received a message requesting me come for an on-site interview.

The first on-site interview was mostly meeting with engineers, the manager, and one of the director level managers.

After my on-site interview a few days went by and then HR called and said they want me to work on a design presentation. There were 5 pages of typed technical questions, 2 design problems, and a third part requesting a portfolio of my past engineering work. I spent 4 long days preparing everything they wanted. After returning 30 pages the engineer scheduled a teleconference to go through the presentation. We went line by line (A is also for An#l). One question out of the five pages I did not get close enough even though I had a correct answer. On the design projects they were impressed with my out-of-the-box (his words) clear thought approach.

A few weeks went by and I did not hear anything. I thought I did everything they asked to at least 98% correct and had impressed them on my design ability. I sent the HR person an email asking if they had made a decision. I did not hear anything for another week, and then they said they wanted me to come for a second on-site interview with the upper management. I was excited.

On the second on-site interview, I remember walking up the stairs with the HR manager and saying to her that the Apple process is really different. She says “we try to explain well about the Apple interview process”. I wanted to say something at that point because I would like to know at what point did she ever explain anything about the interview process. In fact they will not confirm the interview plan until the day before the interview. They will not let you know who you will meet in the interview until you arrive for the interview. They will not even give the schedule for the day to have for reference.

OK now to the second on-site interview with upper management. First interviewer is 20 minutes late because he has to drop off his kids to school. I am thinking it is 9:30 when he was supposed to be there he should be able to make it on time especially for an interview. I spent a lot of time preparing and I got there early. Next interview is a VP with an attitude. He only has two questions one is why it took 3 years to get my master’s degree 20 years ago. I explain I was going part time since I was working as an engineer at the time. Wow I did not know that mattered that long ago. All the other questions were over his paranoia over whether I might be a security issue for Apple. Good work VP, you are really going to find creative people for new products with your approach.

The third interviewer also came late. Once he arrived sat there for a little while trying to think of questions to ask and then said he was filling in for another person who was supposed to be there. He spent the next 15 minutes texting the person that was supposed to be there. Then after a while the person he was texting showed up. That person then sat there trying to gather himself together and asked me two questions that must be a standard because previous interviewers had asked me the same exact questions. The remaining time I just tried to keep the conversation going.

Next interview was a director level and the first thing he asked was what the VP asked me. I went over the questions and he was proud to say the he and the VP think alike. All I could think was great here we go again. He had more questions at least, but spent a lot of time going over security concerns in Apple. One thing I did learn is that they don’t even let the IPod, IPad, and IPhone engineers interact to ensure secrecy and internal product competitiveness.

OK I finally think I am done and all there is to do is wait for a decision. A week goes by and no idea yes or no. Then I received an email saying that the person who had the replacement come in place of himself then came later to the interview and could not think of questions needed to interview me again. So I said fine schedule it as soon as possible. Another week went by and I did not hear anything. So I asked the HR person. Apparently that person is now in China getting ready for the IPhone 5 launch. Another 2 weeks went by. By this time I gave up on Apple. Then one day out of the blue they said they were going to offer me the job. I declined as I had another job offer at the management level, and I was annoyed with Apples interview process.

Interview Questions

• Actually all of the questions were standard interview questions that any company would ask. That is something that surprised me, I was expecting more brain power questions. The only challenge was the amount of people needed to interview and how unorganized the process was. The biggest challenge was all the waiting and the amount of work requested for design project. It was a horrific waste of time for both me and Apple.   2 Answers

I had another job offer that promoted me to a management position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

Had 2 technical phone interviews before getting flown out to Cupertino. Had 10 30-minute interviews lasting the whole day with mostly generic EE related technical questions. There was nothing tricky or behavioral that they asked. mainly just cut and dry solve this problem type. Although it was for a purely hardware job, I was still interviewed by the software manager with programming related questions.

Interview Questions

• Come up with an interview question and answer it yourself. (talk about a lazy interviewer lol)   Answer Question

Negotiation

After getting offer, I told my current company and they matched it. I then told Apple about the new salary I was getting and they bumped it up more, which I took.

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

I've interviewed on two separate occasions for hardware positions with Apple. Most (but not all) of the interviewers are nice enough. First interview had circuit design questions, the second did not. Both interviews were divided into several 1 on 1 interviews, 30 minutes each. If you're not selected (which I wasn't) they just leave you hanging. At first I thought it was just an lazy recruiter, but the second time it happened I realized that it must be a policy to not contact you or respond in any way if you are not chosen. Not a way to leave a good impression; after wasting time with them on the phone multiple times and taking time off to interview in person with them I don't think it is too much to ask for a form email letter to let you know you weren't selected (if their competitors can do it, I think Apple can as well). I doubt I will bother to interview with them again.

Interview Questions

• Design an LED driver using an op-amp   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

I was scheduled for an onsite interview on Oct 30th. After I have booked the hotel and flight, they told me the interviewers were not available for that day and they wanted me to do it the week after. In the next week, I was informed they wanted to change the schedule again. The interview finally happend 3 weeks later but the recruiter won't tell me in which building I will be interviewed until the night before the interview. You know what? No body showed up after 20mins of the scheduled time, and I got a calling saying they want to switch the interview to another building. Fine. I final see the first interviewer. After talking to him, I waited more than 40mins for the 2nd interviewer. No interviewer is on time and they are RUDE... Apple might be a good place for work but please be respectful to the interviewees.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

First phone interview, then a 24 hour assignment, then on-site interview with about 10 different managers. Received and accepted offer about a week after interview.
    Interview questions were very technical and consisted of solving problems live on whiteboard.
    Don't let a bad interview ruin your recruiting process: I believe I blew a couple of interviews but was pretty good on others. I felt like 5 good interviews versus 3 bad ones and I got the job. Just stay polite and answer the questions as good as you can. Tell the interviewers how you think, I believe that's more important than if you solve all the problems correctly. Think structured and pay attention to detail!

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Interview was very professionally organized, Apple HR knows what they are doing. The recruiter was your usual salesperson, trying to convince you to join.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

Gave apple my resume during a career fair at campus career fair. Got an email asking to schedule for an interview bout a week later. The phone interview lasted for bout half an hour, interviewer were nice and generally asked stuff on my resume. i thought it went well, still waiting on the offer he said would come bout 2-3 weeks later

Interview Questions

• If a cap is added at the base of a BJT(common emitter), how does it change the function of the BJT.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

The interview process begins with several 30 mins technical phone interviews first (No HR phone screen for my case), the phone interviews are just basic technical background review and simply text-book questions. Hours later, they invited me to do an on-site interview in Cupertino. It is much harder than I expected.
    The on-site interview consisted of 15 people 1:1, each of them has 30mins, from 10am-6pm non-stop with a lunch interview in 12. Each interviewer has different backgrounds so their questions could be very hard at some time.

Just in my point of view,
    1. Don't wing it. If you don't know just say no. You can imagine like 15 guys ask you question from every sides of technical background, you would probably need 3 phd to answer them all correctly. So just be honest and they will really appreciate that. I missed a lot of questions, and some of them I have totally no idea of, all I did is tell them I don't know and show the potential to learn.
    2. Pay attention to detail. That's very important. Be well prepared for your presentation and materials if they interested. Try your best to show them how much you focused on details. Get yourself some extra copies of those printed materials and bind them neatly.
    3. It is all about communications. The communication in an on-site interview is even important than technical part. They want to know who you really are and whether you are good to deal with in the future if they really want you. So when you past the 1st round interview already, be smart and ALWAYS show your good altitude. Keep smile at all time.
    I got the unofficial offer hours later. The interview process overall is positive and all the interviewers are very nice. They shown their enthusiasm about their job during the interview.
    Hope this helps and good luck.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I have no other offers on hand, so accepted this offer with no conditions.