Apple Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015
2,930 Interview Reviews

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

I was contacted by an Apple recruiter who had come across my resume on Monster or some other site that I had it on. The position was for the manufacturing group for mobile devices. It wasn't my typical area of expertise as I'm more design focused, but I have an extensive background in manufacturing and machining, so It seemed like a good time to make a change. I had a quick phone call with the recruiter and was asked the standard questions regarding why I was looking for a job, was I willing to relocate, etc. After this brief (10 minute) phone interview, I received an email and scheduled another brief phone interview with another recruiter, then again with a hiring manager.

The conversation with the hiring manager was very technically focused on manufacturing processes, plastics, metals, composites, tooling, machine tools, inspection, surface finishing, treatments, etc. This was about 30 minutes and the manager was a pleasure to talk to. He had a great sense of humor and the conversation although technical, was enjoyable and relaxed.

Following this I received an email and was invited for an on site interview. The Apple travel site takes care of your airfare, hotel, and rental car and is very efficient.

The on site interview was about 5 hours, meeting with someone every 30 minutes. The bulk of the interviews consisted of a bunch of Apple products and pieces being placed in front of me and discussions on how they were produced, tooling to manipulate them, ensuring accuracy, how surface finishes were produced, why things were done a certain way, how I would do them, and so on.

Everyone I met with was light hearted and seemed to have a sense of humor. All incredibly bright individuals and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. All in all it was pretty intense, but if you know your stuff there shouldn't be anything unexpected. I was pleased that they didn't give me any brain teasers or abstract stuff like that. It was all straight to the point and was a good test of my manufacturing knowledge.

My advice to anyone in any interview situation is that if you don't know something, admit it. Don't try and BS your way through, especially in a group like I was in, as they will see through it. If you don't know something, just say so. My plastics experience is limited, so when technical questions about plastics and over molding came into the equation, I was up front and told them I knew about the process and could describe it to them, but had no hands on experience in it.

Also, make sure you can back up every single thing you put on your resume. If you have a lot of fluff in there it's going to come out in the interview process.

Lastly, don't show up empty handed. Bring examples of your work and show them how diverse your skill set is and why they should hire you. It's also a great for you to be able to talk intelligently about all the things you've done and explain your thought process behind them. This is what a lot of people you interview with are looking for.

Interview Questions

• This was a very 'hands on' interview. No BS questions, but know every manufacturing process you can, regardless how abstract. Same goes for surface finishing, treatments, and manufacturing automation. Also Apple does things very differently, cost is second to quality, So where other manufacturers are stamping sheet metal and molding things out of cheap pot metal, Apple is CNC'ing components, has incredibly tight tolerances, and is highly automated.   3 Answers

Negotiation

I initially received an offer from the recruiter verbally outlining my base salary, sign on bonus, relocation package, stock options, etc. They called me a few days later notifying me that the official offer was in the mail via FedEx next day air, and they had increased the base salary and sign on bonus that he had initially given me. It wasn't a massive increase in pay compared to what I was currently making, but it was enough to get me to accept, and was what I expected the job to pay. Certain things seem pretty set from a corporate standpoint (vacation days, stock vesting period, etc.) so I'm not sure how much negotiation room there actually is. Either way, I was happy with the offer they made me, and I accepted.

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

Hiring process took about 3 weeks after applying online. It was pretty straightforward, an in person interview and a phone interview after which I was given an offer. The interviewer were very friendly and the dress code was business casuals. The interview was conducted by a store manager.

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

Hey guys! Here's my review of Apple's interview process. I hope this helps any potential Apple employees in their quest to join Apple! So I applied back in September actually. I didn't hear back at all. I then re-applied at the beginning of this month again and I heard back within a week about attending the hiring event.

Hiring Event: I read so many articles and nearly all of them said that the hiring event would have 70+ people. Mine only had 15 so I guess I lucked out a little. We were told to sign in and wait. Make sure you start smiling and greeting every Apple employee you see as soon as you enter the hotel?banquet hall, etc. They will start grading you the moment you enter. Start up a conversation with a couple people. This shows you're a people person and not a wallflower. We were lead in shortly after and we had introductions. All of the Apple employees introduced themselves and then we introduced ourselves. We were asked to say something about ourselves that is unique. After introductions, we were broken up into groups of 5. We passed around an iPad that had questions on it and took turns answering the questions. Make sure you seem engaged and try to tell a story with your answer. Don't just give a one word answer. Once that was over, we re-convened in the big group. We were shown videos about Apple and everyone gave a rundown about their role. After that, they asked if we had questions. Make sure you have some ready! Good ones too. Questions that will get them thinking and challenge them. They like that. I was offered the next interview right after the hiring event. It took roughly 45 minutes.

Second Interview: I had the second interview two days later at the store that I will be working at. It lasted about 30 minutes. It was all personal questions. They want to get to know you so make sure you have good answers for questions such as, "What's your hobby?", "What are you passionate about?", "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?", "Why Apple?". Don't give one word responses. Again, craft a story with your words. Think of a personal experience and relate that to the question. I was offered the the interview right after.

Third Interview: I had this interview 2 days after the second one. I expected to have a one on one but I had an interview with another gentleman. Keep in mind this isn't meant to be a competition and chances are the person you are interviewing alongside didn't even apply for the same role as you so don't get nervous. Try to speak first when possible. This interview had harder questions but if you remain calm and think for a second, you should be okay. I was asked questions like, "Name a time where you had to deal with an unruly customer", "Name the most profound experience you had with a customer", "Name a time where you were overwhelmed with projects and how you dealt with it". Again, not to awful. All in all, this interview challenged me to think outside the box and craft my answers accordingly. I got a call 2 hours later inviting me to attend the fourth interview.

Fourth Interview: This is usually the last interview for most people unless you are applying for a higher role. This interview was days after my third interview. It took place with the market leader, myself, and two other gentlemen who also applied for jobs. This one was more technical in nature so heads up. They can ask you anything from the 3 Mac's Apple offers, difference between android and iOS, difference between an SSD & HDD, explain RAM, Hard Drive, & Processor, etc. If Apple is launching a new product, know that product inside and out. I was only asked one technical question however. I was also asked what my passion in life is so when asked that, let the passion soak up the room! Let your passion take over and encapsulate everyone! I was told I'd get a response within 24-48 hours and I got one 4 days later with an offer. Don't worry if you don't get a call within the 24-48 hour time frame. Apple prides themselves on reaching out to their applicants. You will get a call.

In conclusion: Apple looks more at how you talk than what you know. Their whole mantra is, "we can teach you about technology but we can't teach you to be confident, talk to people, not be an mean, etc." So keep that in mind. It's okay if you don't know the answer to a question but don't just say "I don't know". Apple loves stories so let your inner J.K. Rowling out! All in all, be confident, smile a lot, don't be nervous, and stay calm! That will take you very far in the job process! Good luck everyone!

I posted the interview as "difficult". My reason was not that the questions were difficult, but rather that you have 4+ interviews so it becomes difficult to keep the energy going, not to repeat yourself too much, come across personable, etc. Hope that helps!

Interview Questions

• What is your passion in life? Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer. Explain RAM, Hard Drive, and Processor. Why Apple? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Name a time you had to deal with an unruly customer.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I interviewed with the Seattle's new icloud team. Had a couple of phone interviews that were fairly standard, and was invited onsite to their temporary office. The first onsite interview was with the hiring manager. He was smug and had strong opinions about how variables should be named, the flow of the code etc. It almost looked like he made up his no-hire decision within a couple of mins of the interview and was spending the last hr trying to convince himself why his decision was right. Whatever questions I had was replied with "I can't disclose that information". I don't understand what the point of asking me If I had any questions was, if you're not going to answer anything. The other interviewers and the recruiters I dealt with were pleasant. Disappointing end since I really like apple, but i'd have hated working for that manager anyways.

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

This was absolutely the worst interview experience I've ever had, and I've been on several interviews in my life. Typically, if I can get an interview, the rest is easy.

I am 50 years old, college educated and have 30 years of Windows-based tech support experience and 25 years of customer service experience. My experience with Apple products? Very minimal, as stated on my resume and application. I can typically figure out Apple issues quickly if I can physically troubleshoot the item or research the product or process and come up with a fix.

The first recruiter was blown away by my demeanor and dedication to customer service. Within minutes, he told me he was moving me on to the second interview and told me to not worry so much about the technical side since that will be taught in training. Because of my background, I almost laughed at this. He stressed the customer service/empathy side.

The second interview (via web cam) a week later started with asking about my views about customer service. Things were going well -- until the role-playing part. Instead of asking universal tech support questions so I could demonstrate my troubleshooting skills, the recruiter decided to present me with issues specifically related to Apple products and processes. One was troubleshooting for the "Time Capsule." I never even heard of the product until this interview.

I did the excellent customer service part and then had to stop and admit to the recruiter I don't have any familiarity with the product in order to ask pertinent questions (beyond "Is it on? Is it plugged in?). He was visibly annoyed (he actually rolled his eyes). I quickly Googled "Time Capsule" and started to scan the page and the interviewer impatiently cleared his throat. Taken aback, I attempted to explain I was taking a quick look at the product specs and he talked (or rather barked) over me scolding me for not knowing how to ask probing questions. ???? There's no way for a person to ask specific probing troubleshooting questions about a product they've never heard of. Apparently not satisfied with his first round of "I'm an Apple expert and you're not," he gave me another scenario -- again something Apple-specific. And no surprise, he was equally disappointed by my lack of thorough knowledge.

After that, the interviewer was done with me and began to close the interview. When I tried to assure him of my work history and ability to learn new products quickly, I got another eyeroll and the classic "We'll let you know either way" response. It was like being in grade school, showing up for a spelling test and then finding out 5 minutes into class that it's a geometry test -- and you've never actually had a geometry class.

If the job description had read "intermediate to advanced knowledge of specific Apple products," I would have never applied. Being that so many others indicated they had "easy/relaxed" interviews with simple or no role-playing, I can only assume that the recruiter made his decision about me as soon as he saw a 50-year-old man on the web cam. I hate to play that card, but it's the only thing that would even make sense of this entire bizarre experience.

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Apple.

Interview

I applied online. The process was very tedious but I think it just depends on the store's situation. I attended a Hiring Event 2.5 weeks after applying. It consisted of about 30 other applicants. The store leaders show a power point, they do some ice breaker activities, and answer any questions anyone has. They break you into groups and you answer standard interview questions among the other applicants in your group. The store leaders walk around and observe. At the end they explained the next steps to the process. Basically an email stating you didn't get it but to keep trying or a phone call inviting you to the next step. Two weeks later I was invited to an interview with a store manager and two other applicants. This was easy peasy as long as you're comfortable and well spoken. For me, it felt more like a conversation than an interview. Two weeks later I was invited back for a group interview with a store leader, a market leader, and the same two applicants from the previous interview. As far as I know, the interview with the market leader is typically the final interview. Again, it seemed more like a conversation. Almost a month later, I received an invitation to come talk with the store leader of the Apple Store that I wanted to work at. A few days later I was offered a position over the phone. I think mostly everyone starts as a specialist. If you're reading this and are waiting to hear back from an interview, I would say that no news is good news. The entire process from beginning to end took two months for me. Be patient, they're ruling out less interested applicants.

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple (Rock Hill, SC) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online March 6, 2015. I received an email from a recruiter on March 25, 2015 requesting that I complete an online questionnaire after her review of my resume. I immediately completed the questionnaire, and received a call from the recruiter within 20 minutes of submission. She was very friendly and quite bubbly, so the conversation started off on a really good note. She asked me some general questions regarding what kind of basic troubleshooting questions I'd ask if someone told me their mobile device wouldn't power on. She also reviewed the salary for the position, training start date/duration, as well as a brief summary of the position's requirements. After agreeing to all, she moved me forward to a 2nd interview with another recruiter, which I did online with a software program called Hirevue, video conferencing similar to FaceTime or Skype. My interview with the 2nd recruiter was 2 days after the phone screen, on a Friday afternoon. He was very laid back, extremely friendly and made me feel completely at ease the whole time. He recapped all of the details of the job responsibilities, training and salary just as the first recruiter had done, then went into some basic customer service questions. We did a brief chat simulation, and we touched just a little on technical support. This interview lasted about 25 minutes, and he told me that he was moving me forward in the hiring process and was recommending me for a 3rd and final interview with a team manager. I accepted the interview, and I received an email invitation on Monday evening. I followed the link in the email which brought me to Apple's online scheduling system, and selected Wednesday. The team manager was also very friendly and warm, and he covered all the basics just as the 2 recruiters had done before getting into the meat of the interview. This interview, also done within Hirevue, was a bit more in depth, as he did very little talking. He wanted specific details and examples as answers to his questions, and kept his poker face very well, which was slightly intimidating. We also did a chat simulation, which I flubbed on, because we were supposed to be simulating 2 chat conversations but it was all within one window, which confused me and I ended up making an error in response. This interview was about 45 minutes long, and I honestly didn't feel as confident in myself as I had after the first two.

It's really important to know that Apple is huge on stellar customer service. All the advice you read on here that tells you to show empathy and really stress your customer service skills is true. Apple is not focusing on your skillset so much as they want to know that you are there for the customer, and that you are able to grasp at least some basic technical processes. Make sure that when you fill out the application online, you are truthful about your experience with Apple products and/or computer technology. I believe they will use your answers to determine the types of questions they asked you. I have very little experience with Apple products, and I said so in my application/questionnaire, so those questions about RAM, hard drive, CPU, IMAP V POP3 email never came up...I'm pretty sure they match the questions with the candidate. So, be honest!!!

I completed my 3rd and final interview 2 days ago, and I was told I would receive a call with their decision sometime at the top of next week. Instead, I received a call from a recruiter this morning, and she offered me the position contingent upon my successful completion of a background check. Assuming everything checks out, I will start with Apple on May 11th!

Interview Questions

• What's more important, fixing the customer's problem or creating a good customer experience?   3 Answers

Intern Interview

Interview

not hard at all, just benhavior questions. they ask you a lot of questions to see if you can work hard and be dedicated. they want to know your drive and passion in life

Electrical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

2 phone screens followed by one day on site interview. All of them were highly technically oriented. Cupertino campus looked very nice. All the interviewer seemed very knowledgeable. It was on Friday and they were having beer party around 4pm :)

Product Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Met with a Product Design Engineer at a University event, and after a conversation asked to see me again the next day. The next day we spoke about what I would like to do in the company and what I brought to the table, and the second half of the interview was technical.

Interview Questions

• If you are in a boat in the middle of the pond and drop an anchor, how does the water level vary with respect to shore?   Answer Question