Apple Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
2,474 Interview Reviews

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple.

I was contacted by an Apple recruiter who had come across my resume on Monster or some other site that I had it on. The position was for the manufacturing group for mobile devices. It wasn't my typical area of expertise as I'm more design focused, but I have an extensive background in manufacturing and machining, so It seemed like a good time to make a change. I had a quick phone call with the recruiter and was asked the standard questions regarding why I was looking for a job, was I willing to relocate, etc. After this brief (10 minute) phone interview, I received an email and scheduled another brief phone interview with another recruiter, then again with a hiring manager.

The conversation with the hiring manager was very technically focused on manufacturing processes, plastics, metals, composites, tooling, machine tools, inspection, surface finishing, treatments, etc. This was about 30 minutes and the manager was a pleasure to talk to. He had a great sense of humor and the conversation although technical, was enjoyable and relaxed.

Following this I received an email and was invited for an on site interview. The Apple travel site takes care of your airfare, hotel, and rental car and is very efficient.

The on site interview was about 5 hours, meeting with someone every 30 minutes. The bulk of the interviews consisted of a bunch of Apple products and pieces being placed in front of me and discussions on how they were produced, tooling to manipulate them, ensuring accuracy, how surface finishes were produced, why things were done a certain way, how I would do them, and so on.

Everyone I met with was light hearted and seemed to have a sense of humor. All incredibly bright individuals and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. All in all it was pretty intense, but if you know your stuff there shouldn't be anything unexpected. I was pleased that they didn't give me any brain teasers or abstract stuff like that. It was all straight to the point and was a good test of my manufacturing knowledge.

My advice to anyone in any interview situation is that if you don't know something, admit it. Don't try and BS your way through, especially in a group like I was in, as they will see through it. If you don't know something, just say so. My plastics experience is limited, so when technical questions about plastics and over molding came into the equation, I was up front and told them I knew about the process and could describe it to them, but had no hands on experience in it.

Also, make sure you can back up every single thing you put on your resume. If you have a lot of fluff in there it's going to come out in the interview process.

Lastly, don't show up empty handed. Bring examples of your work and show them how diverse your skill set is and why they should hire you. It's also a great for you to be able to talk intelligently about all the things you've done and explain your thought process behind them. This is what a lot of people you interview with are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • This was a very 'hands on' interview. No BS questions, but know every manufacturing process you can, regardless how abstract. Same goes for surface finishing, treatments, and manufacturing automation. Also Apple does things very differently, cost is second to quality, So where other manufacturers are stamping sheet metal and molding things out of cheap pot metal, Apple is CNC'ing components, has incredibly tight tolerances, and is highly automated.   View Answers (3)
    I initially received an offer from the recruiter verbally outlining my base salary, sign on bonus, relocation package, stock options, etc. They called me a few days later notifying me that the official offer was in the mail via FedEx next day air, and they had increased the base salary and sign on bonus that he had initially given me. It wasn't a massive increase in pay compared to what I was currently making, but it was enough to get me to accept, and was what I expected the job to pay. Certain things seem pretty set from a corporate standpoint (vacation days, stock vesting period, etc.) so I'm not sure how much negotiation room there actually is. Either way, I was happy with the offer they made me, and I accepted.

Software Engineer Interview

One phone interview, one on-site interview. On-site consisted of two 2-1 interviews, one with two managers, one with two team leads. Then two 1-1 interviews with engineers from external teams. Got an offer the following week.

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Initial communications with Apple staff was awesome. They were very polite and allowed me to be me without intimidation. The interview process was very in depth and tested your knowledge not only of technical process but also about customer service skills. It was one of the most nerve wrecking experiences, but the people were an absolute joy!

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

(4 interviews total, 6 week process)
    I applied for this position online and two weeks later I got an email about a Hiring Event that would take place in 10 days (Sunday at 10 AM for an hour and a half). This was actually pretty fun - they clapped as everyone walked in and they showed videos about employees loving their job. They started off by going around the whole room and having everyone introduce themselves individually by saying: our name, something we're passionate about, and something we learned at our last job. Then we broke up into individual group sessions where two employees held an iPad and asked us questions off of it. They joked around a lot and were really nice. There were 5 people in my group and everyone got asked different questions, two each, that were mainly situational ("how did you handle a situation where a customer wasn't happy" etc.)
    I got a call that day at 5 PM from the guy who ran the Hiring Event asking if I could come in for another interview in two days with him. That went well; I talked about my background and he asked similar situational questions. He called me that night asking if I could meet with the store manager in 2 days. This interview was super relaxed, she was interested in my background and we had a lot in common so it was easy to talk to her. More situational questions. Then she pretty much told me she wanted to move me along in the process so I would get a call later that week to set up another interview.
    Five days passed and I got a call to schedule another interview in a week. This time it was with 2 Market Leaders and one other person being interviewed. They asked us the same questions and we took turns answering. We talked about our background and interests, our past experience, and basically what we had to bring to the table. Then we asked a few questions and that was it.
    I got a call the next night saying I got the job, what my pay would be, and that I needed to submit to a background check. Overall it was a pretty lengthy process (one month and almost two weeks) and I still have to wait another 3 weeks to start training (3 day process). I am excited and hopefully this will all have been worth it!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you had to deal with new technology at a job   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

First had a phone screen with HR with simple questions about resume, why Apple, etc. Then had two 1-hour interviews on site. These interviews were completely technical meant to test EE fundamentals (ohms law, op-amp circuits, RC filters, etc). Next had a full-day onsite interview where I met with 8 people for about 45 min each. These questions were also EE fundamentals with a little more depth. Overall not a very difficult interview if you know your EE basics. Not nearly as difficult as IC-level design interviews. After this interview, I met with the manager of the team and he asked me a combination of technical and behavioral questions. Finally was made an offer after all of this. The offer was decent, but lower than offers in other locations once you factor in cost of living.

Interview Questions

Not enough money for Bay Area. They pay more than most companies out here, but still not enough to be worth the cost of living.

At Home Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple.

I submitted my initial application online and heard from a recruiter five days later. The first call was a preliminary interview that asked some basic questions regarding my experience and provided me with some information regarding the positions hours, start date, and salary. The recruiter advised me she was moving me on to a second more in depth Skype/Facetime interview for further consideration and set up a time on the call. The Skype interview was set for five days later and was approximately 20 minutes long. The interview consisted of some role play questions and basic customer service questions. At the end of the interview I was told that i was being recommended to the hiring manager for a third interview and to look for an email to confirm an interview date. I received the email the next day and scheduled the interview for the following day. Third interview was also via Skype but lasted approximately 50 minutes. Much more in depth, more role playing, a lot of customer focus questions, and some basic technical support questions. The very next day the recruiter called to tell me that I was moving forward and would receive an email to complete a background check. Background check email took three days to receive and nine days for the company to complete. Five days following the background check completion I received the call from apple with the official offer. The overall process was very laid back, though I was a bit nervous. Every employee I spoke with was incredibly friendly and professional.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult or unexpected...customer focus is key in the interviews   Answer Question
    No negotiations, salary is region based.

Genius Interview

help old people understand how to use a phone help old people understand how to use a phone help old people understand how to use a phone help old people understand how to use a phone help old people understand how to use a phone help old people understand how to use a phone help old people understand how to use a phone

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Found out about position though Online Job Fair for military spouses. Initial interview took place online. Was super quick and was asked basic screening questions. Second interview was 20 minutes and was asked basic customer service type questions and about my work history and philosophies. Was given salary range for position. Third interview was FaceTime. Same sort of questions, and one role play scenario. Fourth interview scheduled for tomorrow.

Interview Questions
    • Is it more important to fix the problem, or for the caller to have a great experience? Help, I can't use my email to open up a file of my grandson's first words!   View Answer

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple.

I applied online, I received an email inviting me to the Hiring event. The earlier reviews are pretty much dead on. There were about 30 individuals. The team introduced themselves, they were representatives from the 6 stores around town. After that, we were asked to introduce ourselves one by one, we were asked to say our names and a fun fact. Then they had a presentation showcasing the stores and the many positions, after each video, they asked questions, all the representatives (except for the presenter) are in the back taking notes and about the people answering the questions. Then they broke us into groups of 4-5 people. Then the representative passes an iPad each person takes a turn answering a question and passes it to the next, they're mostly behavioral questions though I got a technical as well (not relating to apple products). Each of us answered 3 questions each. At the end representative asked a general question and each took turns answering it. Then you get a chance to ask the representative a question. Then the groups break up and return to the previous setting, a representative gives the closing statements and then we were dismissed.

Apple At Home Advisor College Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Apple.

One phone interview, one google hangout. Both were very chill. It doesn't matter so much what technical knowledge but much more about enthusiasm, being willing to learn, professionalism, and people skills.

No negotiation pay wise. Gave an offer. Later negotiated hours with professor.