Apple

Relevance Date Difficulty

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Manufacturing Engineer
Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an Apple recruiter who had come across my resume on Monster or some other site that I had it on. The position was for the manufacturing group for mobile devices. It wasn't my typical area of expertise as I'm more design focused, but I have an extensive background in manufacturing and machining, so It seemed like a good time to make a change. I had a quick phone call with the recruiter and was asked the standard questions regarding why I was looking for a job, was I willing to relocate, etc. After this brief (10 minute) phone interview, I received an email and scheduled another brief phone interview with another recruiter, then again with a hiring manager.

The conversation with the hiring manager was very technically focused on manufacturing processes, plastics, metals, composites, tooling, machine tools, inspection, surface finishing, treatments, etc. This was about 30 minutes and the manager was a pleasure to talk to. He had a great sense of humor and the conversation although technical, was enjoyable and relaxed.

Following this I received an email and was invited for an on site interview. The Apple travel site takes care of your airfare, hotel, and rental car and is very efficient.

The on site interview was about 5 hours, meeting with someone every 30 minutes. The bulk of the interviews consisted of a bunch of Apple products and pieces being placed in front of me and discussions on how they were produced, tooling to manipulate them, ensuring accuracy, how surface finishes were produced, why things were done a certain way, how I would do them, and so on.

Everyone I met with was light hearted and seemed to have a sense of humor. All incredibly bright individuals and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. All in all it was pretty intense, but if you know your stuff there shouldn't be anything unexpected. I was pleased that they didn't give me any brain teasers or abstract stuff like that. It was all straight to the point and was a good test of my manufacturing knowledge.

My advice to anyone in any interview situation is that if you don't know something, admit it. Don't try and BS your way through, especially in a group like I was in, as they will see through it. If you don't know something, just say so. My plastics experience is limited, so when technical questions about plastics and over molding came into the equation, I was up front and told them I knew about the process and could describe it to them, but had no hands on experience in it.

Also, make sure you can back up every single thing you put on your resume. If you have a lot of fluff in there it's going to come out in the interview process.

Lastly, don't show up empty handed. Bring examples of your work and show them how diverse your skill set is and why they should hire you. It's also a great for you to be able to talk intelligently about all the things you've done and explain your thought process behind them. This is what a lot of people you interview with are looking for.

Interview Question – This was a very 'hands on' interview. No BS questions, but know every manufacturing process you can, regardless how abstract. Same goes for surface finishing, treatments, and manufacturing automation. Also Apple does things very differently, cost is second to quality, So where other manufacturers are stamping sheet metal and molding things out of cheap pot metal, Apple is CNC'ing components, has incredibly tight tolerances, and is highly automated.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – I initially received an offer from the recruiter verbally outlining my base salary, sign on bonus, relocation package, stock options, etc. They called me a few days later notifying me that the official offer was in the mail via FedEx next day air, and they had increased the base salary and sign on bonus that he had initially given me. It wasn't a massive increase in pay compared to what I was currently making, but it was enough to get me to accept, and was what I expected the job to pay. Certain things seem pretty set from a corporate standpoint (vacation days, stock vesting period, etc.) so I'm not sure how much negotiation room there actually is. Either way, I was happy with the offer they made me, and I accepted.

At-Home Advisor Interview

At-Home Advisor

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple.

Interview Details – My resume was submitted internally. I waited almost a month before Apple called me, I actually got another job in the meantime. I received a cold call from a recruiter and a fifteen minute mini interview ensued. I was asked one customer service scenario and one very basic technical question about fixing an iPhone with a black screen Following that I was scheduled for another interview about a week later with another Apple recruiter. This interview lasted about thirty minutes.She asked me how I handled a situation with an irate customer and what I did to resolve it. She also asked me what type of e-mail I would recommend for sharing e-mail between an iPhone and an iPad. She liked my answers so she moved me on to a final interview with a team manager about a week later. That interview lasted almost an hour. The team manager I interviewed with asked me how I would handle a monster truck driver falling out of his truck, breaking his iPhone, and his arm. He also asked me about the difference between a hard drive and RAM, which one is faster, and how would explain that to an old lady. Then we talked about why I wanted to work for Apple and why he liked working for Apple. He told me that I would hear back in about three weeks. My recruiter called me three days later and advised me that the team manager really liked me and that I was moving into the background check phase. I received an e-mail from HireRight to fill out a form to start the background check. In the form you'll see things from your resume already imported. The process for me took about three business days to complete and HireRight did not need to contact me for more information. Almost a week after my check was completed my recruiter again called me to state that I was being offered a position and that I would receive an official offer letter in 3 business days, which arrived via FedEx. It came in a really nice white folder with a silver Apple logo on it. Along with the offer letter was also a ton of required paperwork (I-9, intellectual property, etc...) and an explanation of benefits. I start at the end of March. Here are some tips.

1. Be yourself, be prepared, and be excited
2. Make sure all potential distractions are addressed (pets, kids, etc...)
3. Make sure that your Skype or FaceTime are working and ready.
4. Do NOT lie on your resume. HireRight performs employment verification and you can't fake your way through the interviews. You will get caught,.
5. Be honest if you don't know the answer to the technical questions you will be asked. Apple is looking for superior customer service skills, technical troubleshooting can be taught. If you try to fake your way through it, you will get caught. The interviewers are very sharp.and very tech savvy.
6. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask your interviewer why he/she likes working for Apple. He/she will be impressed!

Interview Question – What type of e-mail would you recommend for someone who wants to share e-mail between an iPhone and an iPad   View Answers (4)

Specialist Interview

Specialist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in June 2014.

Interview Details – An employee submitted a referral for me with my resume many months ago. I got a call in early June for an interview, which totally surprised me! The interview was at my local Apple store and there was a group of about 10 applicants. There were two employees who explained everything about the process, talked about the company and roles and basically just discussed how everything would go. We were given a sheet of paper where you put availability, store preference, roles, and any other comments. They divided us into 2 groups for the actual interview part. The interviewer had an iPad and she just chose random questions and we answered by raising our hands in no particular order. Questions were about customer service experience, how you handled difficult situations, how you handled criticism from a boss, etc. Typical questions. We turned in the papers and they said they would contact us soon. I got a call the next day for another interview the following day. This interview was one-on-one and he asked the same kind of questions as before. Nothing difficult at all. It was extremely casual, we were just sitting outside talking. He told me to come back in a couple days for another interview with his boss. That interview was supposed to be a group interview, but the other applicant was late, so he started without them. It was the same customer service questions, really easy. Make sure you have questions to ask your interviewers at the end. After this interview, he told me his boss was out of town, but I'd get a call the following week to schedule it. This was where the process kind of stalled. About a week later, I got a call to schedule the interview, but the time didn't work for me. I played phone tag with the scheduler until she finally called me back a few days later with a time that worked for everyone and the interview was for the next week. The final interview was with the store leader, essentially the district manager, who gives the final say. It was me and one other candidate at this interview. He talked about himself and asked the usual questions. At the end, he said we could hear from that coming Monday. I waited until Monday and heard nothing. I got an e-mail on Sunday evening asking me to apply for the position online (I never did because I got an employee referral). About a week after this e-mail, I finally got a call with an offer! They asked me about my salary history, which was small because I had only 2 jobs before. They made a verbal offer and I accepted! You will get an e-mail to do a background check after this before you go any further. I think my interview process took longer because of managers being out-of-town and some employees were being changed around, but overall it was easy and fun.

Interview Question – Most questions were about handling difficult customers, receiving feedback from managers, and just general customer service experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Asked my salary history and offered me something similar to my last job. Very good pay.

Specialist Interview

Specialist

Interviewed at Apple

Interview Details – I arrived for my interview on time at 9am, but I was told that the manager who was going to interview me was busy and I was asked to wait around for a few minutes. The experience at the group seminar made me feel like every response I made (whether it be to a question or situation) was being evaluated (and I’m fairly certain this is accurate). While waiting for my interview I acted extremely interested in the iPod Shuffles and Nanos (particularly the finish and headphone jacks) and talked up the security guard and a few employees. Thirty minutes passed before the manager came out to interview me, by which time another candidate had come in for his 9:30am interview. We were told we would be interviewed together. During our 1-hour interview we were mostly asked to recall past work experiences and situations. Some of the questions were repeats from the past two interviews, like “Why do you want to work for Apple?” Others included “Tell me a time when you didn’t meet your own expectations.” “Tell me a time when you exceeded the expectations of others.” “Tell me a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.” We were also allowed to ask questions about the inner-workings of the Apple store. The interviewer was incredibly nice and helpful and told us we should both hear back soon about coming in for another interview.

Interview Question – what flavor icecream are you   Answer Question

Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in February 2014.

Interview Details – There were three interviews. The first was via FaceTime (or Skype, if you prefer), and was very basic. The most difficult question asked in the first interview was "What is an operating system?". The second was slightly more technical, specific to Apple. The third was really just the "negotiation" portion.

Interview Question – They're more interested in people with soft skills. Understand that technical issues will always arise, so the customer experience is more important, in their minds.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Beginning salary is set.

Very Easy Interview

Tech Support Interview

Tech Support
Black Earth, WI

I applied online - interviewed at Apple in January 2014.

Interview Details – Everyone was super nice and informative… This make the interview pleasant and easy. It was all online and I got hired a month later. There are tons of benefits and perks of working at apple. there is access to products at discounted rates. the atmosphere and mindset of working here is professional and you can't help to be proud of your job

Interview Question – there weren't any   Answer Question

Cleveland, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Apple in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on line at apple website beginning of July. Received a call from an Apple recruiter about 2-3 weeks later. Quick phone interview to see if they should set you up for the next interview. I was passed on for an interview the next week via Facetime with a recruiter. At the end of this conversation she said I would get an email in 3-5 business days to pick an interview time with the hiring manager. I got the email the next day and set the interview up the following week. Had my Facetime interview with a young man who was a hiring manager.. Nice guy, very informative and gave me much useful info about Apple and the job... He doesn't come out and say we are interested or not interested. He basically said be patient there may be more interviews or you may get a call or email from the recruiter. My interview was on a Wed. I heard back from my recruiter on that Friday offering me the job contingent on my background check. You then get an email from Hireright to fill out. I filled it out that Friday and got the call today !! Only Tuesday and was offered the job... sooo cool... so excited..

Interview Question – The customer service part is a breeze for me. Emphathize with each role play they give you. The tech questions were more difficult. included explaining RAM to an old person, what would you do if your phone email wasn't working?, is RAM Volitale or stable, what is WIfi, what is Bluetooth? some of these questions I would not know if I didn't look up first. They are definitely looking for you to acknowledge the callers personal problem first though. Which is probably most important. They can train you on their equipment but it is hard to teach interpersonal skills if you don't have them to begin with....   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation... They tell you up front what starting pay is and it is average to above. They also give you internet expense and you don't have to pay for gas!!

Cupertino, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks.

The recruiter contacted me the day after my resume was internally referred. Set up a call a couple of days later for a short chat (15 mins) about the nature of the job, my general qualifications and backgrounds, and continued interest in the position. I was immediately notified I'd be moved to the next interview, a 45 minute phone interview with the head of the team. The recruiter was very informative about the subject of the call (statistics, statistical methods/concepts) and background of the interviewer. Interview went well.

Fifteen minutes after that interview concluded, the recruiter called me, asked me how I felt it went, and informed me I'd be moving toward a second (45-minute) phone interview. The call was scheduled for the following week and again, I was informed on the subject of the interview (advanced stats, probability, and live syntax for data management) as well as the background of the interviewer (quantitative engineer). The call went well, though I did stumble a little bit over the syntax (I'd just taught myself over the weekend), but not because it was difficult.

I did take my time to prepare and I was right. It is a difficult test. I did use apps like ‘the impossible interview’ and ‘the aptitude interview’ from iTunes app store to prepare. They were a help.

A week later I was informed my interviews went well, and I did make it to the next round.

Interview Question – Advanced stats questions regarding HLM. Explain in layman's terms.   Answer Question

Tucson, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call back within a couple of weeks from a recruiter, which included a short interview. This was followed by a FaceTime interview about a week after that. The third interview, also via FaceTime, was the following week with a hiring manager. I did well in all three interviews and stressed my customer service skills. I had learned that this was what Apple was looking for, as they can help you learn the technical skills during training, but the 'people skills' are harder to teach. Once I completed the final interview, I was told that I would hear back within a couple of weeks. The very next day, I received a phone call telling me that I was entering the hiring phase and that a background check would be completed. I filled out some information with a company called HireRight, which does Apple's background checks. A week later, I received a phone call telling me that I was hired and I happily accepted the position. I am now in the paperwork phase and am scheduled to begin training in August.

Interview Question – Role playing scenario: What would you tell a customer who presented with the following problem?
"I just walked into the terminal in Atlanta after spending an hour sitting on the tarmac! I have to get to a meeting and my iPhone won't work and i need to send an email to my boss! Can you help me?"
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation as the rate of pay was acceptable.

Intern Interview

Intern
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in November 2011.

Interview Details – Met them at the career fair; they took a good look at my resume and offered an interview after a lengthy chat. Interview process started in-person with abstract questions, pattern recognizing activities (perhaps to measure problem solving skills), followed by more technical questions. They gave me a phone call interview after (which is not customary of the other intern positions I had applied for),and got the job two months after the call.

Interview Question – "What's the most creative way you can break a clock?"   View Answer

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!