Apple Interview Questions

Updated Jul 4, 2015
3,221 Interview Reviews

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

Hey guys! Here's my review of Apple's interview process. I hope this helps any potential Apple employees in their quest to join Apple! So I applied back in September actually. I didn't hear back at all. I then re-applied at the beginning of this month again and I heard back within a week about attending the hiring event.

Hiring Event: I read so many articles and nearly all of them said that the hiring event would have 70+ people. Mine only had 15 so I guess I lucked out a little. We were told to sign in and wait. Make sure you start smiling and greeting every Apple employee you see as soon as you enter the hotel?banquet hall, etc. They will start grading you the moment you enter. Start up a conversation with a couple people. This shows you're a people person and not a wallflower. We were lead in shortly after and we had introductions. All of the Apple employees introduced themselves and then we introduced ourselves. We were asked to say something about ourselves that is unique. After introductions, we were broken up into groups of 5. We passed around an iPad that had questions on it and took turns answering the questions. Make sure you seem engaged and try to tell a story with your answer. Don't just give a one word answer. Once that was over, we re-convened in the big group. We were shown videos about Apple and everyone gave a rundown about their role. After that, they asked if we had questions. Make sure you have some ready! Good ones too. Questions that will get them thinking and challenge them. They like that. I was offered the next interview right after the hiring event. It took roughly 45 minutes.

Second Interview: I had the second interview two days later at the store that I will be working at. It lasted about 30 minutes. It was all personal questions. They want to get to know you so make sure you have good answers for questions such as, "What's your hobby?", "What are you passionate about?", "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?", "Why Apple?". Don't give one word responses. Again, craft a story with your words. Think of a personal experience and relate that to the question. I was offered the the interview right after.

Third Interview: I had this interview 2 days after the second one. I expected to have a one on one but I had an interview with another gentleman. Keep in mind this isn't meant to be a competition and chances are the person you are interviewing alongside didn't even apply for the same role as you so don't get nervous. Try to speak first when possible. This interview had harder questions but if you remain calm and think for a second, you should be okay. I was asked questions like, "Name a time where you had to deal with an unruly customer", "Name the most profound experience you had with a customer", "Name a time where you were overwhelmed with projects and how you dealt with it". Again, not to awful. All in all, this interview challenged me to think outside the box and craft my answers accordingly. I got a call 2 hours later inviting me to attend the fourth interview.

Fourth Interview: This is usually the last interview for most people unless you are applying for a higher role. This interview was days after my third interview. It took place with the market leader, myself, and two other gentlemen who also applied for jobs. This one was more technical in nature so heads up. They can ask you anything from the 3 Mac's Apple offers, difference between android and iOS, difference between an SSD & HDD, explain RAM, Hard Drive, & Processor, etc. If Apple is launching a new product, know that product inside and out. I was only asked one technical question however. I was also asked what my passion in life is so when asked that, let the passion soak up the room! Let your passion take over and encapsulate everyone! I was told I'd get a response within 24-48 hours and I got one 4 days later with an offer. Don't worry if you don't get a call within the 24-48 hour time frame. Apple prides themselves on reaching out to their applicants. You will get a call.

In conclusion: Apple looks more at how you talk than what you know. Their whole mantra is, "we can teach you about technology but we can't teach you to be confident, talk to people, not be an mean, etc." So keep that in mind. It's okay if you don't know the answer to a question but don't just say "I don't know". Apple loves stories so let your inner J.K. Rowling out! All in all, be confident, smile a lot, don't be nervous, and stay calm! That will take you very far in the job process! Good luck everyone!

I posted the interview as "difficult". My reason was not that the questions were difficult, but rather that you have 4+ interviews so it becomes difficult to keep the energy going, not to repeat yourself too much, come across personable, etc. Hope that helps!

Interview Questions

• What is your passion in life? Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer. Explain RAM, Hard Drive, and Processor. Why Apple? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Name a time you had to deal with an unruly customer.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Around 2 months after I submitted my resume for Apple software engineer position, I got a call from the hiring manager. He asked me what was the good day for the interview. It took half day for meeting 5 people. It was long hour interview for me. Each interviewer spent ~ 30 minutes and asked ~ 4 questions. Each interviewer asked questions in the different areas.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied for this position on April 15th and got a call from the recruiter to do a phone screening on May 4th. She was very polite while we discussed a little more about the position and why I'm interested.She then proceed to ask me " What are some troubleshooting steps if an Iphone does not turn on". First you show empathy to the customer and build a rapport, then you can go along with basic troubleshooting. Things like, have you charged it? And how long has it been charging. Have you tried the soft reset by pressing and holding the power plus the home button. After that, she decided to move forward with me for a Skype/Facetime interview. This one lasted 15-20 minutes. He went in further detail with customer service and how important it is.Now this is the part where you showcase your customer service skills. There is a little technical questions, but how you're dealing with the customer is what he/she is looking for. We did two scenarios and talked more in depth about the position. Then, I got moved on to the final interview where this one was pretty relaxed but lasted 45-60 minutes. This is the interview that counts! Throw everything you got into this one. He then proceeded to go over my background then asked me 3 or 4 technical questions. The third interview is looking to see if you have a clear understanding on how the products work, and if you're mentally prepared to turn your house into a work area. If they ask you, "do you have any questions". A good one is to say why do you like working for Apple? They will smile and be thankful you asked that. My second interview was May 6th and my final one was May 7th. They called me back today!!!!! May 15th is the day they called me back for an offer. I start in July.

*note* Take all of these interview questions you see on this forum and study them. They will ask those questions!!!

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between sympathy and empathy?   2 Answers
    • Why is it important to use a Ethernet cable VS a WiFi connection when you start working from home?   3 Answers

Negotiation

They offered me $17.50 an hour at first. Then the final offer was $17.70. I'm very happy with this pay and I can't wait!!!!! Live life!!!!! Hahaha

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

I was contacted by an Apple recruiter who had come across my resume on Monster or some other site that I had it on. The position was for the manufacturing group for mobile devices. It wasn't my typical area of expertise as I'm more design focused, but I have an extensive background in manufacturing and machining, so It seemed like a good time to make a change. I had a quick phone call with the recruiter and was asked the standard questions regarding why I was looking for a job, was I willing to relocate, etc. After this brief (10 minute) phone interview, I received an email and scheduled another brief phone interview with another recruiter, then again with a hiring manager.

The conversation with the hiring manager was very technically focused on manufacturing processes, plastics, metals, composites, tooling, machine tools, inspection, surface finishing, treatments, etc. This was about 30 minutes and the manager was a pleasure to talk to. He had a great sense of humor and the conversation although technical, was enjoyable and relaxed.

Following this I received an email and was invited for an on site interview. The Apple travel site takes care of your airfare, hotel, and rental car and is very efficient.

The on site interview was about 5 hours, meeting with someone every 30 minutes. The bulk of the interviews consisted of a bunch of Apple products and pieces being placed in front of me and discussions on how they were produced, tooling to manipulate them, ensuring accuracy, how surface finishes were produced, why things were done a certain way, how I would do them, and so on.

Everyone I met with was light hearted and seemed to have a sense of humor. All incredibly bright individuals and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. All in all it was pretty intense, but if you know your stuff there shouldn't be anything unexpected. I was pleased that they didn't give me any brain teasers or abstract stuff like that. It was all straight to the point and was a good test of my manufacturing knowledge.

My advice to anyone in any interview situation is that if you don't know something, admit it. Don't try and BS your way through, especially in a group like I was in, as they will see through it. If you don't know something, just say so. My plastics experience is limited, so when technical questions about plastics and over molding came into the equation, I was up front and told them I knew about the process and could describe it to them, but had no hands on experience in it.

Also, make sure you can back up every single thing you put on your resume. If you have a lot of fluff in there it's going to come out in the interview process.

Lastly, don't show up empty handed. Bring examples of your work and show them how diverse your skill set is and why they should hire you. It's also a great for you to be able to talk intelligently about all the things you've done and explain your thought process behind them. This is what a lot of people you interview with are looking for.

Interview Questions

• This was a very 'hands on' interview. No BS questions, but know every manufacturing process you can, regardless how abstract. Same goes for surface finishing, treatments, and manufacturing automation. Also Apple does things very differently, cost is second to quality, So where other manufacturers are stamping sheet metal and molding things out of cheap pot metal, Apple is CNC'ing components, has incredibly tight tolerances, and is highly automated.   3 Answers

Negotiation

I initially received an offer from the recruiter verbally outlining my base salary, sign on bonus, relocation package, stock options, etc. They called me a few days later notifying me that the official offer was in the mail via FedEx next day air, and they had increased the base salary and sign on bonus that he had initially given me. It wasn't a massive increase in pay compared to what I was currently making, but it was enough to get me to accept, and was what I expected the job to pay. Certain things seem pretty set from a corporate standpoint (vacation days, stock vesting period, etc.) so I'm not sure how much negotiation room there actually is. Either way, I was happy with the offer they made me, and I accepted.

At Home Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple in March 2015.

Interview

There are three stages to the interview process: (1) a recruiter phone interview [~10 minutes], (2) a face-to-face Skype interview with someone else, possibly an HR representative [~25 minutes], (3) another Skype interview with the hiring manager [~25 minutes]. At every stage they describe the job and the benefits.

Interview Questions

• What is an operating system?   1 Answer
    • Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question
    • Role play: I just got off my plane and my phone won't turn on, I'm scared I lost all my photos from my anniversary.   1 Answer
    • Role play: I'm getting ready to take an exam and I need the volume on my iPad to work, but I can't get it to work.   1 Answer
    • Role play: I see No Service on the top left of my phone. I can't make any calls.   1 Answer

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

Hiring process took about 3 weeks after applying online. It was pretty straightforward, an in person interview and a phone interview after which I was given an offer. The interviewer were very friendly and the dress code was business casuals. The interview was conducted by a store manager.

Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Apple (Everett, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

It is a lengthy interview process. I applied for this job in late April and then got a call in the middle of May. This consisted of a 15 min brief phone interview. Then I got moved on to the next interview. This interview was around 30 min long and it was a face time interview. The interviewer went over the job description and then asked questioned about my customer service experience and then we did a chat role play. after that I was moved on to the next round of interviews. This interview was in the same format as the previous one but it was an hour long. Make sure that throughout the interviews you show how you would empathize with the customer and make them feel at ease. That is what they are looking for. During the chat role play they will ask questions regarding Apple products but they are mostly looking for a person that can provide great customer service.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a customer that was upset and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Apple.

Interview

3 interviews using webcam. Took a month. Questions range from customer service to technical. If you're really upbeat and energetic you may be able to get away with not knowing very much on the tech side since they teach that to you anyway.

Interview Questions

• what's the difference between a Hard drive and RAM?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

I was expedited through the process as Apple acquired the company I was going to work for. Apple flew me out for one day of on-site interviews, and I had three 2-1 interviews. There was no effort to get to know me in any of them. Each interview was an hour spent entirely on technical questions covering algorithms and system design.

The first two interviews were not great, but not terrible. I asked a lot of clarifying questions, which seemed to annoy the interviewers more than anything. Weird.

The worst interview I've ever had was the 3rd one, with the two team leads. One of them wrote up a problem on the whiteboard, and then spent the rest of the interview looking bored out of his mind at his phone. His problem was very vague and incomplete as he first asked it, and when I asked questions about it he got frustrated and talked down to me. He would occasionally glance up at my progress (it wasn't a hard problem once the details were worked out) and make a snide remark about what I had written. He expected syntactically perfect whiteboard code, and threw in some expletives for an added bonus. The other interviewer would snicker whenever the first criticized my code. At the end they asked if I had any questions, but every question I asked was met with, "That's confidential." It was definitely the most unprofessional interview I've ever been a part of, and I almost walked out of it because it was clear it was wasting all of our time.

Unfortunately the misery didn't quite end there, as it took Apple three full months (and 13 reminder emails) to reimburse me for the costs I had to pay for cab rides and per diem expenses. I was also never reimbursed for a flight I had to cancel because of the interview timing, but at this point I'm just tired of dealing with them. If possible, try to get Apple to pay up front for as much stuff as possible, because the reimbursement process is a nightmare. My (senior) recruiter had no idea where to even begin with it, which I still don't quite understand.

Interview Questions

• The skyline problem

Given a set of interval tuples, find the longest overlapping interval

Given a huge log file of a web server, find the IP addresses that had exactly 1 request

A network is connected in a line, so that servers can talk only to the servers to their left or right. Servers know if they are the leftmost or rightmost servers. What's a protocol for every server to learn the full topology? How long does it take?

Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Apple.

Interview

The first interview process was a large group at a hotel. It was really fun! It felt like you were at a camp with a ton of people. They showed videos about the company and the culture. You also had to introduce the person that was sitting next to you so everyone in the room got to know a little bit about you.