Apple

2,775 Interview Reviews

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple.

I was contacted by an Apple recruiter who had come across my resume on Monster or some other site that I had it on. The position was for the manufacturing group for mobile devices. It wasn't my typical area of expertise as I'm more design focused, but I have an extensive background in manufacturing and machining, so It seemed like a good time to make a change. I had a quick phone call with the recruiter and was asked the standard questions regarding why I was looking for a job, was I willing to relocate, etc. After this brief (10 minute) phone interview, I received an email and scheduled another brief phone interview with another recruiter, then again with a hiring manager.

The conversation with the hiring manager was very technically focused on manufacturing processes, plastics, metals, composites, tooling, machine tools, inspection, surface finishing, treatments, etc. This was about 30 minutes and the manager was a pleasure to talk to. He had a great sense of humor and the conversation although technical, was enjoyable and relaxed.

Following this I received an email and was invited for an on site interview. The Apple travel site takes care of your airfare, hotel, and rental car and is very efficient.

The on site interview was about 5 hours, meeting with someone every 30 minutes. The bulk of the interviews consisted of a bunch of Apple products and pieces being placed in front of me and discussions on how they were produced, tooling to manipulate them, ensuring accuracy, how surface finishes were produced, why things were done a certain way, how I would do them, and so on.

Everyone I met with was light hearted and seemed to have a sense of humor. All incredibly bright individuals and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. All in all it was pretty intense, but if you know your stuff there shouldn't be anything unexpected. I was pleased that they didn't give me any brain teasers or abstract stuff like that. It was all straight to the point and was a good test of my manufacturing knowledge.

My advice to anyone in any interview situation is that if you don't know something, admit it. Don't try and BS your way through, especially in a group like I was in, as they will see through it. If you don't know something, just say so. My plastics experience is limited, so when technical questions about plastics and over molding came into the equation, I was up front and told them I knew about the process and could describe it to them, but had no hands on experience in it.

Also, make sure you can back up every single thing you put on your resume. If you have a lot of fluff in there it's going to come out in the interview process.

Lastly, don't show up empty handed. Bring examples of your work and show them how diverse your skill set is and why they should hire you. It's also a great for you to be able to talk intelligently about all the things you've done and explain your thought process behind them. This is what a lot of people you interview with are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • This was a very 'hands on' interview. No BS questions, but know every manufacturing process you can, regardless how abstract. Same goes for surface finishing, treatments, and manufacturing automation. Also Apple does things very differently, cost is second to quality, So where other manufacturers are stamping sheet metal and molding things out of cheap pot metal, Apple is CNC'ing components, has incredibly tight tolerances, and is highly automated.   View Answers (3)
    I initially received an offer from the recruiter verbally outlining my base salary, sign on bonus, relocation package, stock options, etc. They called me a few days later notifying me that the official offer was in the mail via FedEx next day air, and they had increased the base salary and sign on bonus that he had initially given me. It wasn't a massive increase in pay compared to what I was currently making, but it was enough to get me to accept, and was what I expected the job to pay. Certain things seem pretty set from a corporate standpoint (vacation days, stock vesting period, etc.) so I'm not sure how much negotiation room there actually is. Either way, I was happy with the offer they made me, and I accepted.

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple.

This was absolutely the worst interview experience I've ever had, and I've been on several interviews in my life. Typically, if I can get an interview, the rest is easy.

I am 50 years old, college educated and have 30 years of Windows-based tech support experience and 25 years of customer service experience. My experience with Apple products? Very minimal, as stated on my resume and application. I can typically figure out Apple issues quickly if I can physically troubleshoot the item or research the product or process and come up with a fix.

The first recruiter was blown away by my demeanor and dedication to customer service. Within minutes, he told me he was moving me on to the second interview and told me to not worry so much about the technical side since that will be taught in training. Because of my background, I almost laughed at this. He stressed the customer service/empathy side.

The second interview (via web cam) a week later started with asking about my views about customer service. Things were going well -- until the role-playing part. Instead of asking universal tech support questions so I could demonstrate my troubleshooting skills, the recruiter decided to present me with issues specifically related to Apple products and processes. One was troubleshooting for the "Time Capsule." I never even heard of the product until this interview.

I did the excellent customer service part and then had to stop and admit to the recruiter I don't have any familiarity with the product in order to ask pertinent questions (beyond "Is it on? Is it plugged in?). He was visibly annoyed (he actually rolled his eyes). I quickly Googled "Time Capsule" and started to scan the page and the interviewer impatiently cleared his throat. Taken aback, I attempted to explain I was taking a quick look at the product specs and he talked (or rather barked) over me scolding me for not knowing how to ask probing questions. ???? There's no way for a person to ask specific probing troubleshooting questions about a product they've never heard of. Apparently not satisfied with his first round of "I'm an Apple expert and you're not," he gave me another scenario -- again something Apple-specific. And no surprise, he was equally disappointed by my lack of thorough knowledge.

After that, the interviewer was done with me and began to close the interview. When I tried to assure him of my work history and ability to learn new products quickly, I got another eyeroll and the classic "We'll let you know either way" response. It was like being in grade school, showing up for a spelling test and then finding out 5 minutes into class that it's a geometry test -- and you've never actually had a geometry class.

If the job description had read "intermediate to advanced knowledge of specific Apple products," I would have never applied. Being that so many others indicated they had "easy/relaxed" interviews with simple or no role-playing, I can only assume that the recruiter made his decision about me as soon as he saw a 50-year-old man on the web cam. I hate to play that card, but it's the only thing that would even make sense of this entire bizarre experience.

Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Hiring process took about 3 weeks after applying online. It was pretty straightforward, an in person interview and a phone interview after which I was given an offer. The interviewer were very friendly and the dress code was business casuals. The interview was conducted by a store manager.

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Initial communications with Apple staff was awesome. They were very polite and allowed me to be me without intimidation. The interview process was very in depth and tested your knowledge not only of technical process but also about customer service skills. It was one of the most nerve wrecking experiences, but the people were an absolute joy!

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple in February 2015.

I had 2 interviews with them the first is pretty standard and the second skype with a second interviewer. She was nice and asked many questions about time requirements and technical information known.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a roll play question about being on the beach after wedding and iphone might have gotten wet   Answer Question

Market Communications Group Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Filled out online application. No response after three weeks. Interesting since my 15-20 year experience was a direct match for the job description. But I'm sure Apple has very certain parameters.

Business Process Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Recruiter contact, followed by initial phone screening by recruiter. First phone interview with HR partner followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. I was requested to attend a face-to-face interview by seven different people on a single day, in separate interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The interview question was an issue that they were facing at the time. It was to do with labeling issues and explore the approaches to resolve   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Apple.

The coordinator contacted me and set up a time via email after asking when I was available. The interviewer called right on time, and first asked about my interests and what I wanted to do. Then he explained about himself and what his role on the hiring team was. After that it was one or two technical questions, and wrap up.

Interview Questions
    • Is there a difference between performSelector and performSelector:withDelay of 0?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Apple.

The process was very calm and helpful. I was interviewing on campus and the recuiter was patient. I did not get some questions so he explained the answers. It was a learning process for me more than an interview.

Wireless Systems Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Apple.

Had a phone interview for summer internship. Was expecting casual chat with some technical questions, but the interviewer had a complete exam with multiple choice questions. The questions weren't simple enough to be done in the head, needed a pen and paper to write down the questions, draw figures, write and solve equations. I was surprised that phone interviews could be so technical, having had no prior experience of interviewing for jobs in the US. I did quite badly because I had not gone over most of the content in a long time. The questions were from these general areas: signal processing, probability and statistics, information theory and communication systems.