Apple

Relevance Date Difficulty

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Manufacturing Engineer
Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an Apple recruiter who had come across my resume on Monster or some other site that I had it on. The position was for the manufacturing group for mobile devices. It wasn't my typical area of expertise as I'm more design focused, but I have an extensive background in manufacturing and machining, so It seemed like a good time to make a change. I had a quick phone call with the recruiter and was asked the standard questions regarding why I was looking for a job, was I willing to relocate, etc. After this brief (10 minute) phone interview, I received an email and scheduled another brief phone interview with another recruiter, then again with a hiring manager.

The conversation with the hiring manager was very technically focused on manufacturing processes, plastics, metals, composites, tooling, machine tools, inspection, surface finishing, treatments, etc. This was about 30 minutes and the manager was a pleasure to talk to. He had a great sense of humor and the conversation although technical, was enjoyable and relaxed.

Following this I received an email and was invited for an on site interview. The Apple travel site takes care of your airfare, hotel, and rental car and is very efficient.

The on site interview was about 5 hours, meeting with someone every 30 minutes. The bulk of the interviews consisted of a bunch of Apple products and pieces being placed in front of me and discussions on how they were produced, tooling to manipulate them, ensuring accuracy, how surface finishes were produced, why things were done a certain way, how I would do them, and so on.

Everyone I met with was light hearted and seemed to have a sense of humor. All incredibly bright individuals and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. All in all it was pretty intense, but if you know your stuff there shouldn't be anything unexpected. I was pleased that they didn't give me any brain teasers or abstract stuff like that. It was all straight to the point and was a good test of my manufacturing knowledge.

My advice to anyone in any interview situation is that if you don't know something, admit it. Don't try and BS your way through, especially in a group like I was in, as they will see through it. If you don't know something, just say so. My plastics experience is limited, so when technical questions about plastics and over molding came into the equation, I was up front and told them I knew about the process and could describe it to them, but had no hands on experience in it.

Also, make sure you can back up every single thing you put on your resume. If you have a lot of fluff in there it's going to come out in the interview process.

Lastly, don't show up empty handed. Bring examples of your work and show them how diverse your skill set is and why they should hire you. It's also a great for you to be able to talk intelligently about all the things you've done and explain your thought process behind them. This is what a lot of people you interview with are looking for.

Interview Question – This was a very 'hands on' interview. No BS questions, but know every manufacturing process you can, regardless how abstract. Same goes for surface finishing, treatments, and manufacturing automation. Also Apple does things very differently, cost is second to quality, So where other manufacturers are stamping sheet metal and molding things out of cheap pot metal, Apple is CNC'ing components, has incredibly tight tolerances, and is highly automated.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – I initially received an offer from the recruiter verbally outlining my base salary, sign on bonus, relocation package, stock options, etc. They called me a few days later notifying me that the official offer was in the mail via FedEx next day air, and they had increased the base salary and sign on bonus that he had initially given me. It wasn't a massive increase in pay compared to what I was currently making, but it was enough to get me to accept, and was what I expected the job to pay. Certain things seem pretty set from a corporate standpoint (vacation days, stock vesting period, etc.) so I'm not sure how much negotiation room there actually is. Either way, I was happy with the offer they made me, and I accepted.

At-Home Advisor Interview

At-Home Advisor

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple.

Interview Details – My resume was submitted internally. I waited almost a month before Apple called me, I actually got another job in the meantime. I received a cold call from a recruiter and a fifteen minute mini interview ensued. I was asked one customer service scenario and one very basic technical question about fixing an iPhone with a black screen Following that I was scheduled for another interview about a week later with another Apple recruiter. This interview lasted about thirty minutes.She asked me how I handled a situation with an irate customer and what I did to resolve it. She also asked me what type of e-mail I would recommend for sharing e-mail between an iPhone and an iPad. She liked my answers so she moved me on to a final interview with a team manager about a week later. That interview lasted almost an hour. The team manager I interviewed with asked me how I would handle a monster truck driver falling out of his truck, breaking his iPhone, and his arm. He also asked me about the difference between a hard drive and RAM, which one is faster, and how would explain that to an old lady. Then we talked about why I wanted to work for Apple and why he liked working for Apple. He told me that I would hear back in about three weeks. My recruiter called me three days later and advised me that the team manager really liked me and that I was moving into the background check phase. I received an e-mail from HireRight to fill out a form to start the background check. In the form you'll see things from your resume already imported. The process for me took about three business days to complete and HireRight did not need to contact me for more information. Almost a week after my check was completed my recruiter again called me to state that I was being offered a position and that I would receive an official offer letter in 3 business days, which arrived via FedEx. It came in a really nice white folder with a silver Apple logo on it. Along with the offer letter was also a ton of required paperwork (I-9, intellectual property, etc...) and an explanation of benefits. I start at the end of March. Here are some tips.

1. Be yourself, be prepared, and be excited
2. Make sure all potential distractions are addressed (pets, kids, etc...)
3. Make sure that your Skype or FaceTime are working and ready.
4. Do NOT lie on your resume. HireRight performs employment verification and you can't fake your way through the interviews. You will get caught,.
5. Be honest if you don't know the answer to the technical questions you will be asked. Apple is looking for superior customer service skills, technical troubleshooting can be taught. If you try to fake your way through it, you will get caught. The interviewers are very sharp.and very tech savvy.
6. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask your interviewer why he/she likes working for Apple. He/she will be impressed!

Interview Question – What type of e-mail would you recommend for someone who wants to share e-mail between an iPhone and an iPad   View Answers (4)

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Apple At Home Advisor
Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in February 2014.

Interview Details – There were three interviews. The first was via FaceTime (or Skype, if you prefer), and was very basic. The most difficult question asked in the first interview was "What is an operating system?". The second was slightly more technical, specific to Apple. The third was really just the "negotiation" portion.

Interview Question – They're more interested in people with soft skills. Understand that technical issues will always arise, so the customer experience is more important, in their minds.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Beginning salary is set.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Finance Interview

Finance

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in November 2013.

Interview Details – On Campus Recruitment. First interview was on campus lasted about 1hr. After making it to the 2nd round you have 5 interviews at the Apple office. Interviews mimicked the first, mainly behavioral with a bit of why you are a good fit for the position.

Interview Question – What is your favorite accounting class?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Specialist Interview

Specialist
Santa Barbara, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Apple in June 2014.

Interview Details – It took a while before I heard anything back from my online application. Once I heard back from them I received an email inviting me to a group hiring event. I arrived at the event with apx. 15 other people. They played music and clapped for us as we entered the store. They broke us up into small groups around tables. They had us interview the person across from us while they observed us. After each person had interviewed their neighbor we were told to introduce that person to the group. Following that we watched some apple promo videos and had a discussion time with the group at large. They then broke us up into groups of 3/4 and we conferred on a group discussion question. They then asked for us to choose one person to represent the group. They then asked us questions about how our group operated and did not care as much about what was said as much as how we functioned. We concluded the evening by passing around an iPad with standard job interview questions on it for each of us to answer in turn.

After the group interview I went on to have interviews with a manager, store manager, and district manager. These interviews were very similar. They try to make it more of a conversation then a normal interview.

Interview Question – Pretty standard questions. They are looking for a certain type of person, so they ask questions to know how you think and react.   Answer Question

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) Interview

Mac Specialist (Apple Store)
Aventura, FL

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in March 2012.

Interview Details – Nothing in particular, just questions testing your personality type. And what you would do in certain situations to determine your character as a person. Nothing in particular, just questions testing your personality type. And what you would do in certain situations to determine your character as a person.Nothing in particular, just questions testing your personality type. And what you would do in certain situations to determine your character as a person.Nothing in particular, just questions testing your personality type. And what you would do in certain situations to determine your character as a person.

Interview Question – how would you spend a hot summer day?   Answer Question

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Apple At Home Advisor
Lakeland, FL

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Apple in June 2014.

Interview Details – Really great experience! All 3 interviewers were kind, respectful and easy. First interview was over the phone and was about 10 minutes long. No hard questions. Why work for apple? My wifi isn't connecting what do I do? 2nd interview was FaceTime - scenario - I just got off airplane, my luggage is lost which has my computer and now my phone won't work. Empathy empathy empathy before going resolving issue. Which email protocol to use when syncing multiple devices? IMAP 3rd interview- was at party, my child fell into pool, I jumped in to get my baby and now my phone doesn't work. Then you will either get phone call from apple recruiter for next step of offer and to let you background check from hire right email,is coming or if email is sent - no call, no offer.

Interview Question – Is ram volatile or stable? I really didn't know and said so   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate, pay was much more than expected with great benefits

Very Easy Interview

FRS Interview

FRS
Glendale, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Apple.

Interview Details – I first passed a Tech Screen to ensure you can trouble shoot the phones and have a general technical knowledge base regarding mobile devices. Then I was interviewed one on one with the Senior Manager. Afterwards I was supped to be Interview by the Store Manager & Market Area Manager but it didn't happen. The store manager just ended up asking why I wanted it and then offered me the position.

Interview Question – Name 5 ways to save battery life on an iPhone.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I actually applied for a full time position and after passing the tech screen and two interviews I was offered the position. After accepting the position I was informed that the Full Time spot was given to someone that transferred from another store and that I would be Part-Time.

Senior Mechanical Engineer Interview

Senior Mechanical Engineer
Cupertino, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Apple in May 2014.

Interview Details – I went on not one but two roller-coaster rides with Apple as a candidate for Sr. Mechanical Engineer.
The process went as follows, normalized from three weeks before my first onsite interview:
- 3 weeks: Received a strong recommendation from an Apple employee who had been a colleague of mine at a previous company.
Day 0: Met with hiring manager. I had previously worked with him as well at another company, and he thought highly of my skills and passed me on for a full day onsite interview.
Day 28: A full day of technical interviews from 9:15 AM to 5 PM. Each was basically 15 minutes of chitchat and 30 minutes of in-depth technical grilling. Mostly problem solving hypothetical engineering situations and technical brain-teasers. AT the end of the day I was told by the recruiter that if I passed this round, there would be several interviews with Upper Management to ascertain technical fit. Usually the next step is likely an offer. Did well on tech interviews.
Day 47: After being invited back, Met with two Upper level managers and - surprisingly, two additional engineers. Latter two interviews were also technical grilling similar to above. Did well on tech interviews.
Day 55: Hadn't heard back from recruiter or anybody, so I called them.
Day 60: Recruiter called back, apologetically, and asked if I would come in for ANOTHER round of interviews. I said sure, thinking this must surely be a prefunctory final interview prior to an offer.
Day 70: Deja vu - Met with two Upper level managers and again, two additional engineers. Latter two interviews were also technical grilling similar to above. Did well on tech interviews.
Day 82: Received a final call from recruiter: You did really well on tech interviews, but upper managers not sure there is a cultural fit. Very sorry to say we will pass on making an offer. However, there is another group that may be interested, would you like to interview? I reluctantly said yes.
Day 91: A full day of technical interviews from 8:30 AM to 5:45 PM. Many were more cultural/situational interviews, only a few were technical grilling. Sure I did well on those tech interviews, at least.
Day 101: Received a message from the recruiter saying Very sorry to say we will pass on making an offer, don't think there is a technical match. Uh Huh. Wait...what?

In summation, a very opaque, disrespectful and unsatisfying experience. In truth, I was a more senior candidate in terms of experience and position than most of the folks I met, and very much senior in terms of age. My time in the cafeteria was instructive - at Apple there appear to be very few employees pushing much past 40-45. lots of nice folks though and I enjoyed all of my discussions.

Interview Question – Know your beam theory, beam bending and strength of materials stuff if you are an M.E. They beat this stuff to death in the interview quizzes.   View Answer

Specialist Interview

Specialist
Chestnut Hill, MA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Apple in March 2014.

Interview Details – Got contacted about a week after I applied. First step was a group interview where 6 of us sat a table and answered a question we were asked one by one. The group interview was pretty easy as long as you are not quiet and have a lot to say. After the first interview I was given the opportunity to go in for a second interview.

Interview Question – What is your favorite thing to do during a snow storm?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Apple

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple interview questions and advice. All 2,266 interview reviews posted anonymously by Apple employees and interview candidates.