Apple

2,692 Interview Reviews

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple.

I was contacted by an Apple recruiter who had come across my resume on Monster or some other site that I had it on. The position was for the manufacturing group for mobile devices. It wasn't my typical area of expertise as I'm more design focused, but I have an extensive background in manufacturing and machining, so It seemed like a good time to make a change. I had a quick phone call with the recruiter and was asked the standard questions regarding why I was looking for a job, was I willing to relocate, etc. After this brief (10 minute) phone interview, I received an email and scheduled another brief phone interview with another recruiter, then again with a hiring manager.

The conversation with the hiring manager was very technically focused on manufacturing processes, plastics, metals, composites, tooling, machine tools, inspection, surface finishing, treatments, etc. This was about 30 minutes and the manager was a pleasure to talk to. He had a great sense of humor and the conversation although technical, was enjoyable and relaxed.

Following this I received an email and was invited for an on site interview. The Apple travel site takes care of your airfare, hotel, and rental car and is very efficient.

The on site interview was about 5 hours, meeting with someone every 30 minutes. The bulk of the interviews consisted of a bunch of Apple products and pieces being placed in front of me and discussions on how they were produced, tooling to manipulate them, ensuring accuracy, how surface finishes were produced, why things were done a certain way, how I would do them, and so on.

Everyone I met with was light hearted and seemed to have a sense of humor. All incredibly bright individuals and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. All in all it was pretty intense, but if you know your stuff there shouldn't be anything unexpected. I was pleased that they didn't give me any brain teasers or abstract stuff like that. It was all straight to the point and was a good test of my manufacturing knowledge.

My advice to anyone in any interview situation is that if you don't know something, admit it. Don't try and BS your way through, especially in a group like I was in, as they will see through it. If you don't know something, just say so. My plastics experience is limited, so when technical questions about plastics and over molding came into the equation, I was up front and told them I knew about the process and could describe it to them, but had no hands on experience in it.

Also, make sure you can back up every single thing you put on your resume. If you have a lot of fluff in there it's going to come out in the interview process.

Lastly, don't show up empty handed. Bring examples of your work and show them how diverse your skill set is and why they should hire you. It's also a great for you to be able to talk intelligently about all the things you've done and explain your thought process behind them. This is what a lot of people you interview with are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • This was a very 'hands on' interview. No BS questions, but know every manufacturing process you can, regardless how abstract. Same goes for surface finishing, treatments, and manufacturing automation. Also Apple does things very differently, cost is second to quality, So where other manufacturers are stamping sheet metal and molding things out of cheap pot metal, Apple is CNC'ing components, has incredibly tight tolerances, and is highly automated.   View Answers (3)
    I initially received an offer from the recruiter verbally outlining my base salary, sign on bonus, relocation package, stock options, etc. They called me a few days later notifying me that the official offer was in the mail via FedEx next day air, and they had increased the base salary and sign on bonus that he had initially given me. It wasn't a massive increase in pay compared to what I was currently making, but it was enough to get me to accept, and was what I expected the job to pay. Certain things seem pretty set from a corporate standpoint (vacation days, stock vesting period, etc.) so I'm not sure how much negotiation room there actually is. Either way, I was happy with the offer they made me, and I accepted.

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Initial communications with Apple staff was awesome. They were very polite and allowed me to be me without intimidation. The interview process was very in depth and tested your knowledge not only of technical process but also about customer service skills. It was one of the most nerve wrecking experiences, but the people were an absolute joy!

Lead Mac Genius Interview

Be ready to expain your past and present accomplishments. You will need to find a balance of showing off your teamwork but also cheerleading for yourself. I find it hard to do because if it's teamwork everyone had success not just yourself. Also have a plan on what you want to do to make your team better.

Interview Questions
    Was able to receive more money then they original offered because I asked if the salary was set. I also was able to show how much money I saved them and how I would work to do that team/department wide.

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple.

This was absolutely the worst interview experience I've ever had, and I've been on several interviews in my life. Typically, if I can get an interview, the rest is easy.

I am 50 years old, college educated and have 30 years of Windows-based tech support experience and 25 years of customer service experience. My experience with Apple products? Very minimal, as stated on my resume and application. I can typically figure out Apple issues quickly if I can physically troubleshoot the item or research the product or process and come up with a fix.

The first recruiter was blown away by my demeanor and dedication to customer service. Within minutes, he told me he was moving me on to the second interview and told me to not worry so much about the technical side since that will be taught in training. Because of my background, I almost laughed at this. He stressed the customer service/empathy side.

The second interview (via web cam) a week later started with asking about my views about customer service. Things were going well -- until the role-playing part. Instead of asking universal tech support questions so I could demonstrate my troubleshooting skills, the recruiter decided to present me with issues specifically related to Apple products and processes. One was troubleshooting for the "Time Capsule." I never even heard of the product until this interview.

I did the excellent customer service part and then had to stop and admit to the recruiter I don't have any familiarity with the product in order to ask pertinent questions (beyond "Is it on? Is it plugged in?). He was visibly annoyed (he actually rolled his eyes). I quickly Googled "Time Capsule" and started to scan the page and the interviewer impatiently cleared his throat. Taken aback, I attempted to explain I was taking a quick look at the product specs and he talked (or rather barked) over me scolding me for not knowing how to ask probing questions. ???? There's no way for a person to ask specific probing troubleshooting questions about a product they've never heard of. Apparently not satisfied with his first round of "I'm an Apple expert and you're not," he gave me another scenario -- again something Apple-specific. And no surprise, he was equally disappointed by my lack of thorough knowledge.

After that, the interviewer was done with me and began to close the interview. When I tried to assure him of my work history and ability to learn new products quickly, I got another eyeroll and the classic "We'll let you know either way" response. It was like being in grade school, showing up for a spelling test and then finding out 5 minutes into class that it's a geometry test -- and you've never actually had a geometry class.

If the job description had read "intermediate to advanced knowledge of specific Apple products," I would have never applied. Being that so many others indicated they had "easy/relaxed" interviews with simple or no role-playing, I can only assume that the recruiter made his decision about me as soon as he saw a 50-year-old man on the web cam. I hate to play that card, but it's the only thing that would even make sense of this entire bizarre experience.

Human Resources Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Received call from recruiter. Phone screen with hiring manager followed rather quickly. I met on-site for in person interviews in two weeks.

None of the interview questions were behavioral - in fact all of the conversations were just that, conversations. This can be misleading as most people prepare for direct questions related to their experience and not general questions that seem more like "get to know you questions." Tell me about yourself and what do you do... They should be more upfront with their approach to interviewing so that candidates can adequately prepare for the type of interview.

Legal Counsel Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Apple.

I applied on Apple.com for an interesting job, but didn't hear back about it. Six months later, they reached out to me about a different job. I was glad that they did, since that job fit my skills and interests even better. The interview process is pretty thorough; three rounds of interviews. First round, met with the hiring manager and several people in the team. Second round, met with a bunch of people that I would be supporting ('internal clients'). Each of these rounds consisted of a bunch of 30-minute slots, back-to-back-to-back; a little bit of a whirlwind. Third round, met with the manager of the hiring manager, before getting the offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you resolve a strategic disagreement you had with an internal client?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Back-end Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple.

On campus interview

Basic introduction.
    Interviewer asked me to describe a project that can show my ability to work independently, learn on the fly, and how I faced challenges.
    After that I had some basic algorithm questions about sorting, string manipulation. For example, describe the difference between quick sort and merge sort, reverse a string character wise.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to describe a project that can show my ability to work independently, learn on the fly and how I face challenges.   View Answer

At Home Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Apple.

Applied through a online company and received a interview. The process took place at a hotel and it was a little intimidating. I was not ready for the questions they asked. Next time I will do more research.

Interview Questions
    • Explaining what to do if customer broke product with no warranty.   Answer Question

Apple At Home Advisor Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Received the opportunity to interview from a Veterans' virtual job fair. I applied for the Apple At-Home Advisor Leader. Upon the submission of my resume and virtual chat with a recruiter, an Apple recruiter contacted me by email to further discuss an opportunity within 48 hours. He then set up an appointment to conduct an interview through Facetime within a week.

During the Facetime process, there were already issues with connectivity on his end to be able to stay on the line. When we finally connected, it appeared the recruiter was sitting at his home office, dressed in a t-shirt, somewhere out in Silicone Valley, CA. I was immediately turned off by this interview process for I took the time to dress business casual, considering that we can see an image of each other through Facetime.

He then asked me a bunch of questions not too related to the position, but more so about my past experiences, what I did in the Army and what I did for my past employer. He then asked me about my current employer in which I responded that I had my own business... a one-man IT business with a small client base. He immediately informed me that I would have to dissolve my business and abandon the clients I currently serve. That was strike two.

Then, after the horrible Facetime interview, he told me he would contact me within 5 days. Two weeks later, I received an email informing me that they went with another candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Considering that you've led a team of over 150 employees, how would you be able to manage them remotely?   View Answer

Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Apple.

three to four interviews. They don't care how much you know about know about the product, the interview is looking for personality. The first interview is a large group interview of 30 or so. They pick their favorites and go from there.

Interview Questions
    • there really wasn't a difficult question. Example: What was the most difficult work experience you encountered and how did you over come it?   View Answer
    none. This was retail.