Apple Interview Questions

2,874 Interview Reviews

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple.

I was contacted by an Apple recruiter who had come across my resume on Monster or some other site that I had it on. The position was for the manufacturing group for mobile devices. It wasn't my typical area of expertise as I'm more design focused, but I have an extensive background in manufacturing and machining, so It seemed like a good time to make a change. I had a quick phone call with the recruiter and was asked the standard questions regarding why I was looking for a job, was I willing to relocate, etc. After this brief (10 minute) phone interview, I received an email and scheduled another brief phone interview with another recruiter, then again with a hiring manager.

The conversation with the hiring manager was very technically focused on manufacturing processes, plastics, metals, composites, tooling, machine tools, inspection, surface finishing, treatments, etc. This was about 30 minutes and the manager was a pleasure to talk to. He had a great sense of humor and the conversation although technical, was enjoyable and relaxed.

Following this I received an email and was invited for an on site interview. The Apple travel site takes care of your airfare, hotel, and rental car and is very efficient.

The on site interview was about 5 hours, meeting with someone every 30 minutes. The bulk of the interviews consisted of a bunch of Apple products and pieces being placed in front of me and discussions on how they were produced, tooling to manipulate them, ensuring accuracy, how surface finishes were produced, why things were done a certain way, how I would do them, and so on.

Everyone I met with was light hearted and seemed to have a sense of humor. All incredibly bright individuals and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. All in all it was pretty intense, but if you know your stuff there shouldn't be anything unexpected. I was pleased that they didn't give me any brain teasers or abstract stuff like that. It was all straight to the point and was a good test of my manufacturing knowledge.

My advice to anyone in any interview situation is that if you don't know something, admit it. Don't try and BS your way through, especially in a group like I was in, as they will see through it. If you don't know something, just say so. My plastics experience is limited, so when technical questions about plastics and over molding came into the equation, I was up front and told them I knew about the process and could describe it to them, but had no hands on experience in it.

Also, make sure you can back up every single thing you put on your resume. If you have a lot of fluff in there it's going to come out in the interview process.

Lastly, don't show up empty handed. Bring examples of your work and show them how diverse your skill set is and why they should hire you. It's also a great for you to be able to talk intelligently about all the things you've done and explain your thought process behind them. This is what a lot of people you interview with are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • This was a very 'hands on' interview. No BS questions, but know every manufacturing process you can, regardless how abstract. Same goes for surface finishing, treatments, and manufacturing automation. Also Apple does things very differently, cost is second to quality, So where other manufacturers are stamping sheet metal and molding things out of cheap pot metal, Apple is CNC'ing components, has incredibly tight tolerances, and is highly automated.   View Answers (3)
    I initially received an offer from the recruiter verbally outlining my base salary, sign on bonus, relocation package, stock options, etc. They called me a few days later notifying me that the official offer was in the mail via FedEx next day air, and they had increased the base salary and sign on bonus that he had initially given me. It wasn't a massive increase in pay compared to what I was currently making, but it was enough to get me to accept, and was what I expected the job to pay. Certain things seem pretty set from a corporate standpoint (vacation days, stock vesting period, etc.) so I'm not sure how much negotiation room there actually is. Either way, I was happy with the offer they made me, and I accepted.

Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Hiring process took about 3 weeks after applying online. It was pretty straightforward, an in person interview and a phone interview after which I was given an offer. The interviewer were very friendly and the dress code was business casuals. The interview was conducted by a store manager.

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple.

This was absolutely the worst interview experience I've ever had, and I've been on several interviews in my life. Typically, if I can get an interview, the rest is easy.

I am 50 years old, college educated and have 30 years of Windows-based tech support experience and 25 years of customer service experience. My experience with Apple products? Very minimal, as stated on my resume and application. I can typically figure out Apple issues quickly if I can physically troubleshoot the item or research the product or process and come up with a fix.

The first recruiter was blown away by my demeanor and dedication to customer service. Within minutes, he told me he was moving me on to the second interview and told me to not worry so much about the technical side since that will be taught in training. Because of my background, I almost laughed at this. He stressed the customer service/empathy side.

The second interview (via web cam) a week later started with asking about my views about customer service. Things were going well -- until the role-playing part. Instead of asking universal tech support questions so I could demonstrate my troubleshooting skills, the recruiter decided to present me with issues specifically related to Apple products and processes. One was troubleshooting for the "Time Capsule." I never even heard of the product until this interview.

I did the excellent customer service part and then had to stop and admit to the recruiter I don't have any familiarity with the product in order to ask pertinent questions (beyond "Is it on? Is it plugged in?). He was visibly annoyed (he actually rolled his eyes). I quickly Googled "Time Capsule" and started to scan the page and the interviewer impatiently cleared his throat. Taken aback, I attempted to explain I was taking a quick look at the product specs and he talked (or rather barked) over me scolding me for not knowing how to ask probing questions. ???? There's no way for a person to ask specific probing troubleshooting questions about a product they've never heard of. Apparently not satisfied with his first round of "I'm an Apple expert and you're not," he gave me another scenario -- again something Apple-specific. And no surprise, he was equally disappointed by my lack of thorough knowledge.

After that, the interviewer was done with me and began to close the interview. When I tried to assure him of my work history and ability to learn new products quickly, I got another eyeroll and the classic "We'll let you know either way" response. It was like being in grade school, showing up for a spelling test and then finding out 5 minutes into class that it's a geometry test -- and you've never actually had a geometry class.

If the job description had read "intermediate to advanced knowledge of specific Apple products," I would have never applied. Being that so many others indicated they had "easy/relaxed" interviews with simple or no role-playing, I can only assume that the recruiter made his decision about me as soon as he saw a 50-year-old man on the web cam. I hate to play that card, but it's the only thing that would even make sense of this entire bizarre experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple.

I interviewed with the Seattle's new icloud team. Had a couple of phone interviews that were fairly standard, and was invited onsite to their temporary office. The first onsite interview was with the hiring manager. He was smug and had strong opinions about how variables should be named, the flow of the code etc. It almost looked like he made up his no-hire decision within a couple of mins of the interview and was spending the last hr trying to convince himself why his decision was right. Whatever questions I had was replied with "I can't disclose that information". I don't understand what the point of asking me If I had any questions was, if you're not going to answer anything. The other interviewers and the recruiters I dealt with were pleasant. Disappointing end since I really like apple, but i'd have hated working for that manager anyways.

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple in February 2015.

I had 2 interviews with them the first is pretty standard and the second skype with a second interviewer. She was nice and asked many questions about time requirements and technical information known.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a roll play question about being on the beach after wedding and iphone might have gotten wet   View Answer

Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Apple.

I applied online. The process was very tedious but I think it just depends on the store's situation. I attended a Hiring Event 2.5 weeks after applying. It consisted of about 30 other applicants. The store leaders show a power point, they do some ice breaker activities, and answer any questions anyone has. They break you into groups and you answer standard interview questions among the other applicants in your group. The store leaders walk around and observe. At the end they explained the next steps to the process. Basically an email stating you didn't get it but to keep trying or a phone call inviting you to the next step. Two weeks later I was invited to an interview with a store manager and two other applicants. This was easy peasy as long as you're comfortable and well spoken. For me, it felt more like a conversation than an interview. Two weeks later I was invited back for a group interview with a store leader, a market leader, and the same two applicants from the previous interview. As far as I know, the interview with the market leader is typically the final interview. Again, it seemed more like a conversation. Almost a month later, I received an invitation to come talk with the store leader of the Apple Store that I wanted to work at. A few days later I was offered a position over the phone. I think mostly everyone starts as a specialist. If you're reading this and are waiting to hear back from an interview, I would say that no news is good news. The entire process from beginning to end took two months for me. Be patient, they're ruling out less interested applicants.

Apple Retail Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Apple.

Was invited to an Apple hiring event. There were around 15 people there that applied for multiple positions with Apple store positions. First everyone checked in and waited for the event to start. There were 7 or 8 Apple employees (managers, hiring managers). They talked a bit about the company and how rewarding it was to work for Apple. There was one guy who lead the introduction and played videos.

After 25 minutes of his presentation and videos, we were split into small groups with each area store managers. The questions were easy and it was on an iPad they we each passed around. They wanted to know how people react to situations about their previous job. However, when they smelled bs from the answers, the managers would say, "can you be more specific?" It was actually kind of funny because the managers would roll their eyes and sighed.

There were rude moments in the small group interview from one of the store managers. You could really tell who they were and weren't interested in because of the responses they would give to the individual. If they were interested, they would say, "yeah, I agree," or they would simply add on to the person's answers.

Overall the process and presentation wasn't anything new to those who are familiar with Apple. I do agree that this type of interview helps Apple quickly narrow down who stood out in retail. However, Apple could have done without one of the hiring managers for the fact that she acted a bit ignorant. Any educated person should already know that interviews goes both ways. The potential employees is also interviewing the manager to see if he/she is a competent manager.

There were also disagreements in the presentation and one of the newer Apple hiring manager. The presentation focused on how proud Apple is not to pay commission so the customers and employees can focus on building relationships on features. Apple wants people to have a great experience with their products as well as the people that stood behind them. However, during closing one of the newer hiring manager that came from a big box retailer interrupted and he stated, "I want people to understand, this is a sales job! We want you to sell as much as possible, do not leave here thinking that this isn't about selling." I noticed everyone around looked at each other very surprised because they just spent over an hour focusing on thinking differently about Apple retail, and here this manager is stressing about the car salesmen type ways of retail back in his day.

I believe the old Steve Jobs days of Apple retail are fading. It's too bad they are bringing on the big box type of managers who push for numbers. They should really make new presentation videos to reflect these changes because it is very contradicting. Consumers have a special image about Apple retail and how great it is walking into one of their stores, but this image is changing for the fact that they are caring less about the heritage that made them successful. It starts from the bottom, your customers and your employees who stand behind your products are the front line of your company, why would you change that?

Declined working for Apple at the location offered because I just could not see myself working for an incompetent manager. If you as an Apple leader can't sell us the position during the interview, what makes you think you could train people to sell the Apple experience? My advice to anyone looking towards Apple for employment is do not settle for less. They are brining on many pushy sales managers, things are changing at Apple and the overturn rate shows as they are seeking more typical sales people.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you exceeded your own expectations at a job.

Describe a humbling experience.

What was the most difficult work experience and how did you overcome it?

Example of a time to better yourself as an employee and what I took from the experience?

How to handle differences with co workers?

Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple.

Talked to recruiter on job fair, and was invited to have an interview the next day. Sent me an email to create a personal profile, upload resume, cover letter, etc. Interview with the same recruiter, went straight to technical questions. No behavior questions or go through your resume. Lasted half an hour, never heard back ever since.

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Apple.

The first interview was great. Very laid back, really the recruiter is trying to get to know the interviewee. I got a 2nd interview immediately. I then listened to a webinar on more information about the job at home and how the process generally works. I am so far pretty happy with the whole experience. I used the LAST strategy for answering question. Listen Apologize Solve and Thank. Best way to really improve customer service and make the customer happy with their experience.

Applecare Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elk Grove, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elk Grove, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Appled online, recruiter from Apple HQ contacted me few days later, went over my resume etc, asked me some scenario questions. At the end she said she will set me up for an FaceTime interview with an On-Site recruiter. Interview happened about a week later, very straightforward, engaged in some scenario based activities interview lasted exactly 45 minutes. At the end recruiter told me that he will get together with his peers and they will decide who will move forward. I got a call few days later and i was told i was chosen to move forward, i was scheduled for on site inteview with department manager. Inteview was really easy in my opinion manager was a young guy, easy going, laid back. Inteview was about 30 minutes or so. At the end he said that they will make a decision on who will move into background phase. I got a call few days later and i was told that i was selected for background. Background was done through company called Hire Right. There was one discrepancy with one of my previous employers. I emailed them my W2's. Today i got a call from recruiter who said that my background had cleared and I'm due to start April 20th!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me abiut a time you and the customer didn't see eye to eye on an issue   Answer Question
    Nothing