Apple

2,560 Interview Reviews

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple.

I was contacted by an Apple recruiter who had come across my resume on Monster or some other site that I had it on. The position was for the manufacturing group for mobile devices. It wasn't my typical area of expertise as I'm more design focused, but I have an extensive background in manufacturing and machining, so It seemed like a good time to make a change. I had a quick phone call with the recruiter and was asked the standard questions regarding why I was looking for a job, was I willing to relocate, etc. After this brief (10 minute) phone interview, I received an email and scheduled another brief phone interview with another recruiter, then again with a hiring manager.

The conversation with the hiring manager was very technically focused on manufacturing processes, plastics, metals, composites, tooling, machine tools, inspection, surface finishing, treatments, etc. This was about 30 minutes and the manager was a pleasure to talk to. He had a great sense of humor and the conversation although technical, was enjoyable and relaxed.

Following this I received an email and was invited for an on site interview. The Apple travel site takes care of your airfare, hotel, and rental car and is very efficient.

The on site interview was about 5 hours, meeting with someone every 30 minutes. The bulk of the interviews consisted of a bunch of Apple products and pieces being placed in front of me and discussions on how they were produced, tooling to manipulate them, ensuring accuracy, how surface finishes were produced, why things were done a certain way, how I would do them, and so on.

Everyone I met with was light hearted and seemed to have a sense of humor. All incredibly bright individuals and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. All in all it was pretty intense, but if you know your stuff there shouldn't be anything unexpected. I was pleased that they didn't give me any brain teasers or abstract stuff like that. It was all straight to the point and was a good test of my manufacturing knowledge.

My advice to anyone in any interview situation is that if you don't know something, admit it. Don't try and BS your way through, especially in a group like I was in, as they will see through it. If you don't know something, just say so. My plastics experience is limited, so when technical questions about plastics and over molding came into the equation, I was up front and told them I knew about the process and could describe it to them, but had no hands on experience in it.

Also, make sure you can back up every single thing you put on your resume. If you have a lot of fluff in there it's going to come out in the interview process.

Lastly, don't show up empty handed. Bring examples of your work and show them how diverse your skill set is and why they should hire you. It's also a great for you to be able to talk intelligently about all the things you've done and explain your thought process behind them. This is what a lot of people you interview with are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • This was a very 'hands on' interview. No BS questions, but know every manufacturing process you can, regardless how abstract. Same goes for surface finishing, treatments, and manufacturing automation. Also Apple does things very differently, cost is second to quality, So where other manufacturers are stamping sheet metal and molding things out of cheap pot metal, Apple is CNC'ing components, has incredibly tight tolerances, and is highly automated.   View Answers (3)
    I initially received an offer from the recruiter verbally outlining my base salary, sign on bonus, relocation package, stock options, etc. They called me a few days later notifying me that the official offer was in the mail via FedEx next day air, and they had increased the base salary and sign on bonus that he had initially given me. It wasn't a massive increase in pay compared to what I was currently making, but it was enough to get me to accept, and was what I expected the job to pay. Certain things seem pretty set from a corporate standpoint (vacation days, stock vesting period, etc.) so I'm not sure how much negotiation room there actually is. Either way, I was happy with the offer they made me, and I accepted.

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Initial communications with Apple staff was awesome. They were very polite and allowed me to be me without intimidation. The interview process was very in depth and tested your knowledge not only of technical process but also about customer service skills. It was one of the most nerve wrecking experiences, but the people were an absolute joy!

Software Engineer Interview

One phone interview, one on-site interview. On-site consisted of two 2-1 interviews, one with two managers, one with two team leads. Then two 1-1 interviews with engineers from external teams. Got an offer the following week.

Apple Retail Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple in November 2014.

I received an invitation to attend one of Apple's Retail store hiring events at the Walden Galleria in Buffalo, NY this past weekend. It was, without a doubt, one of the most uncomfortable and infuriating positions I have ever been placed in regarding interviewing for a job. It was, first off, at 7:30 pm on a Sunday night and lasted until 9:45pm going over the two hours they ask you to prepare for.

Here is the run down:

First impressions - Remember that scene from Fun with Duck and Jane where Duck races his interview competitor up the stairs only to discover a line of hundreds of other shmucks already waiting? That's exactly what it was like coming in for this event. There were so many people. We were greeted at the door by semi-rushed looking employees who gave us a questionnaire to fill out and a nametag. After about 15 minutes they called us in and clapped/cheered as we came into the store in a single line. It was bizarre and uncomfortable but whatever; that's what the culture is like at Apple.

The event begins - They led us toward the back of the store where we were seated. They had about 10 nice chairs with back support in the front row which were taken by the first people to make it in and the rest of us were stuck with extremely uncomfortable bar stools to sit on for 80% of the time spent there. It sucked. The hiring manager talked to us for about 10 minutes or so sounding un-prepared regarding what he was going to say, followed by more amateurish presentation by another set of employees who couldn't get the sound to work on their Apple device. Next, they had us split up and answer a 10 question quiz to "get an idea" of where we stood in terms of our technological understanding. We watched several apple videos after this, which are available on their website and received a run down of the different job types and titles offered in the store.

The Interview - For the actual interview portion we were split up into four groups of 4-5 people. The apple employees also split into groups and rotated to each set of potential candidates to "observe" our question and answer process. Essentially, no one at apple asked us a single interview question. They gave us an iPad and we passed it around the table asking each other the interview questions listed. The employees looked bored and were barely listening to anything we were saying. This was extremely unprofessional and discouraging.

The Close of the Event - After the "interviewing" we returned to our uncomfortable seats and the hiring manager came back to give us closing remarks and to answer any questions. He was asked how many positions were available and vaguely answered as best he could that they usually only hire between 20-30% of the people who attend the event. This is generally about 5-6 people out of the 25+ who were there. He told us we would receive one of two emails in the next 48 hours - one to invite us back to continue the process or another saying thanks but no thanks. About half of the 15ish employees there shared that they had applied and attended hiring events multiple times before being offered a position and not to be discouraged if we are not invited back. Here they reiterated Apple's policy that "they don't say 'no,' they say, 'not now.'"

From this experience I lost any interest what-so-ever in working for Apple. The whole process was ridiculous and as I stated before entirely infuriating.

The thing that bothered me the most was the videos they played of "current" apple associates who said things to the effect of "its about being yourself not how technologically advanced you are" and how "you don't stop being you because you work at apple." The hiring manager contradicted these apple "values" when he said the following:

1.) That the associate must be educated.
    2.) That the associate must be technologically advanced enough to speak to a "genius," and someone who was "computer illiterate"
    3.) When you work for apple it becomes your family and even though your title might be part time you will work anywhere from 30-35 hours a week.

I was really looking forward to this event and was very disappointed that it turned out being such a waste of time. I hope this helps others who are potentially interested in working for Apple and that to those of you who are that you experience is better than mine.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty typical of any professional interview   Answer Question

Business Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple.

Applied online and then was invited to a hiring event specifically for candidates that have been recommended by current Apple employees. Was invited back to meet with two store managers who told the next step would be to meet with the store's business manager, but was then contacted by an HR admin who wanted me to do phone interview with one of their national recruiters.

Interview Questions
    • What will be the most challenging or least desirable thing about transitioning from independent consulting to working in our retail environment.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Apple.

Lengthy and thorough process. Very culture focused to ensure candidates find the right group to work with where everyone will be most successful. Multiple interviews are held with the existing team members. This allows the candidate a great opportunity to meet potential peers and ask many questions. Everyone was very open and honest during the process and was available via email for follow up questions.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was out of the ordinary difficult or unexpected. Most "difficult" was the need to provide multiple examples of work done in the past but this was not unexpected. Candidates should have ample examples to illustrate their work.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Apple.

Applied through a reference. Was contacted two to four weeks later. They set up a first interview with recruiter and hiring manager. Then an interview with an engineer mainly going over my resume and simple Java questions.

Interview Questions
    • Questions I got asked were what does the final keyword do in Java and how I would go through a list of country music words and track the frequency of common words.   Answer Question

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

(4 interviews total, 6 week process)
    I applied for this position online and two weeks later I got an email about a Hiring Event that would take place in 10 days (Sunday at 10 AM for an hour and a half). This was actually pretty fun - they clapped as everyone walked in and they showed videos about employees loving their job. They started off by going around the whole room and having everyone introduce themselves individually by saying: our name, something we're passionate about, and something we learned at our last job. Then we broke up into individual group sessions where two employees held an iPad and asked us questions off of it. They joked around a lot and were really nice. There were 5 people in my group and everyone got asked different questions, two each, that were mainly situational ("how did you handle a situation where a customer wasn't happy" etc.)
    I got a call that day at 5 PM from the guy who ran the Hiring Event asking if I could come in for another interview in two days with him. That went well; I talked about my background and he asked similar situational questions. He called me that night asking if I could meet with the store manager in 2 days. This interview was super relaxed, she was interested in my background and we had a lot in common so it was easy to talk to her. More situational questions. Then she pretty much told me she wanted to move me along in the process so I would get a call later that week to set up another interview.
    Five days passed and I got a call to schedule another interview in a week. This time it was with 2 Market Leaders and one other person being interviewed. They asked us the same questions and we took turns answering. We talked about our background and interests, our past experience, and basically what we had to bring to the table. Then we asked a few questions and that was it.
    I got a call the next night saying I got the job, what my pay would be, and that I needed to submit to a background check. Overall it was a pretty lengthy process (one month and almost two weeks) and I still have to wait another 3 weeks to start training (3 day process). I am excited and hopefully this will all have been worth it!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you had to deal with new technology at a job   Answer Question

Software Engineer - Kernel Interview

One friend referred me to several positions, after about a week, contacted by the HR in the kernel driver team, scheduled two phone interviews, two onsite interviews, one phone interview from Executive team.

Interview Questions
    • Average difficult, not expected Question   View Answer

The manager is not nice

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Apple.

One of the worst interview experiences I have ever had.

The setup and actual interviews was fine. The recruiter was quick to turnaround and give me the positive news and asked for a bunch of details to put together the offer.

Then I waited for weeks, and every week there would be some excuse about the delay. Finally I had made up my mind that I would decline because this is poor ethic, but I did not want to give them the satisfaction of just losing me and not having to explain themselves so I kept at contacting the recruiter asking for status updates. Finally got one last excuse with a decline.

I am glad I did not mention to anyone that I had a successful interview because it would have been really embarrassing to explain this. I guess the recruiter/team/Apple does not care about future employees/customers.