Apple

Relevance Date Difficulty

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Manufacturing Engineer
Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an Apple recruiter who had come across my resume on Monster or some other site that I had it on. The position was for the manufacturing group for mobile devices. It wasn't my typical area of expertise as I'm more design focused, but I have an extensive background in manufacturing and machining, so It seemed like a good time to make a change. I had a quick phone call with the recruiter and was asked the standard questions regarding why I was looking for a job, was I willing to relocate, etc. After this brief (10 minute) phone interview, I received an email and scheduled another brief phone interview with another recruiter, then again with a hiring manager.

The conversation with the hiring manager was very technically focused on manufacturing processes, plastics, metals, composites, tooling, machine tools, inspection, surface finishing, treatments, etc. This was about 30 minutes and the manager was a pleasure to talk to. He had a great sense of humor and the conversation although technical, was enjoyable and relaxed.

Following this I received an email and was invited for an on site interview. The Apple travel site takes care of your airfare, hotel, and rental car and is very efficient.

The on site interview was about 5 hours, meeting with someone every 30 minutes. The bulk of the interviews consisted of a bunch of Apple products and pieces being placed in front of me and discussions on how they were produced, tooling to manipulate them, ensuring accuracy, how surface finishes were produced, why things were done a certain way, how I would do them, and so on.

Everyone I met with was light hearted and seemed to have a sense of humor. All incredibly bright individuals and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. All in all it was pretty intense, but if you know your stuff there shouldn't be anything unexpected. I was pleased that they didn't give me any brain teasers or abstract stuff like that. It was all straight to the point and was a good test of my manufacturing knowledge.

My advice to anyone in any interview situation is that if you don't know something, admit it. Don't try and BS your way through, especially in a group like I was in, as they will see through it. If you don't know something, just say so. My plastics experience is limited, so when technical questions about plastics and over molding came into the equation, I was up front and told them I knew about the process and could describe it to them, but had no hands on experience in it.

Also, make sure you can back up every single thing you put on your resume. If you have a lot of fluff in there it's going to come out in the interview process.

Lastly, don't show up empty handed. Bring examples of your work and show them how diverse your skill set is and why they should hire you. It's also a great for you to be able to talk intelligently about all the things you've done and explain your thought process behind them. This is what a lot of people you interview with are looking for.

Interview Question – This was a very 'hands on' interview. No BS questions, but know every manufacturing process you can, regardless how abstract. Same goes for surface finishing, treatments, and manufacturing automation. Also Apple does things very differently, cost is second to quality, So where other manufacturers are stamping sheet metal and molding things out of cheap pot metal, Apple is CNC'ing components, has incredibly tight tolerances, and is highly automated.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – I initially received an offer from the recruiter verbally outlining my base salary, sign on bonus, relocation package, stock options, etc. They called me a few days later notifying me that the official offer was in the mail via FedEx next day air, and they had increased the base salary and sign on bonus that he had initially given me. It wasn't a massive increase in pay compared to what I was currently making, but it was enough to get me to accept, and was what I expected the job to pay. Certain things seem pretty set from a corporate standpoint (vacation days, stock vesting period, etc.) so I'm not sure how much negotiation room there actually is. Either way, I was happy with the offer they made me, and I accepted.

At-Home Advisor Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple.

Interview Details – My resume was submitted internally. I waited almost a month before Apple called me, I actually got another job in the meantime. I received a cold call from a recruiter and a fifteen minute mini interview ensued. I was asked one customer service scenario and one very basic technical question about fixing an iPhone with a black screen Following that I was scheduled for another interview about a week later with another Apple recruiter. This interview lasted about thirty minutes.She asked me how I handled a situation with an irate customer and what I did to resolve it. She also asked me what type of e-mail I would recommend for sharing e-mail between an iPhone and an iPad. She liked my answers so she moved me on to a final interview with a team manager about a week later. That interview lasted almost an hour. The team manager I interviewed with asked me how I would handle a monster truck driver falling out of his truck, breaking his iPhone, and his arm. He also asked me about the difference between a hard drive and RAM, which one is faster, and how would explain that to an old lady. Then we talked about why I wanted to work for Apple and why he liked working for Apple. He told me that I would hear back in about three weeks. My recruiter called me three days later and advised me that the team manager really liked me and that I was moving into the background check phase. I received an e-mail from HireRight to fill out a form to start the background check. In the form you'll see things from your resume already imported. The process for me took about three business days to complete and HireRight did not need to contact me for more information. Almost a week after my check was completed my recruiter again called me to state that I was being offered a position and that I would receive an official offer letter in 3 business days, which arrived via FedEx. It came in a really nice white folder with a silver Apple logo on it. Along with the offer letter was also a ton of required paperwork (I-9, intellectual property, etc...) and an explanation of benefits. I start at the end of March. Here are some tips.

1. Be yourself, be prepared, and be excited
2. Make sure all potential distractions are addressed (pets, kids, etc...)
3. Make sure that your Skype or FaceTime are working and ready.
4. Do NOT lie on your resume. HireRight performs employment verification and you can't fake your way through the interviews. You will get caught,.
5. Be honest if you don't know the answer to the technical questions you will be asked. Apple is looking for superior customer service skills, technical troubleshooting can be taught. If you try to fake your way through it, you will get caught. The interviewers are very sharp.and very tech savvy.
6. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask your interviewer why he/she likes working for Apple. He/she will be impressed!

Interview Question – What type of e-mail would you recommend for someone who wants to share e-mail between an iPhone and an iPad   View Answers (2)

Operations Engineering Interview

Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in January 2014.

Interview Details – First phone interview, about just 15 mins with HR, just basic personal information, checking on interest in apple and specific jobs. later on, 1 phone interview with Hiring Manager, and then brought onsite to meet 8 peoples consisting of hiring manger, team members and counterpart from Engineering team.

Apple travel coordinate takes care of hotel, flight most everything for you, which is nice.

When onsite, I was basically told by everyone except for HM, that the Operations Engineering (including Technical Program Manger, Ops Program Manger, and Manufacturing design and quality engineers) are incredibly demanding. I was told that you basically have to devoted yourself to Apple, working 6 days a week, working EVERY night 9-11pm concalling with Asian team. They absolutely expect you to respond emails Sunday night since it would be Monday morning in Asia. You also have to travel to Asia very frequently, spending roughly 30% about 90 days per year in Asia, maybe more in some roles or some groups. work/life would be a joke here.
That also explains that some groups in operations have more than 50% turnover rate. That is also probably part of reason that they keep hiring tons of new positions for operation side.

Most of interviewers I spoke to look like they do understand in depth what they are doing. They are mostly 20s-early 30s. Genuinely nice and light-heart. I did enjoyed most of the conversation,and also had some good technical exchange/discussion with them.
however, there was only one guy with huge ego. I almost wanted to tell him"come on! you did not invent iPhone. just chill up..".

Questions are very details oriented, ranging from manufacturing process, tolerance stack up, process control, and also some soft skills question. Nothing too difficult if you have the experience you claimed on the resume. They wanted you to give examples, not just walking through general approach or concept.

Overall, i felt that if you are young, no family, no kids, love traveling, and have the talent Apple is looking for, the operations engineering might be a good fit for you. otherwise, be aware the huge workload is simply no comparison to any other jobs you may have done in the past.

Interview Question – describe how you fix or improve a manufacturing process with the supplier? how to handle supplier's push-back?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The pay is slightly higher, but considering the time you have invested, it would be a seriously under-pay.

College At-home Advisor Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Apple.

Interview Details – I have been using this site for a month or so now to get some helpful tips for my interview process so I figured I should return the favor. I applied for the position online and soon got an invitation to sign up for an information session. Since I'm currently in India for a study abroad program, I wasn't able to make it to an info session at 2:30am local time. I exchanged some emails with the Apple recruiting team in order to confirm my enrollment in college-level courses. After a few days, I was told that my enrollment had been confirmed, and I was soon asked to schedule a FaceTime interview. After following the link for the online scheduling process, I found a good time that worked with the time difference here. A few days later, I had my FaceTime interview with a team manager. The interview went pretty well despite the international connection delay. My interviewer told me that I would here back within the next two weeks about whether or not they wanted to continue with me. Yesterday (almost exactly two weeks later), I got a phone call from a recruiter in California who told me that I was going to receive the job offer. This was especially surprising/exciting because I was almost certain that I would need to complete at least two interviews before receiving an offer. The recruiter told me that the offer packet will be sent to my house in the states and will contain all of the small details about my employment. He said I should expect a salary of around $11.50 an hour. This was a little lower than I was hoping, but it's far better than my past jobs involving minimum wage and manual labor. I have heard from this forum that Apple will occasionally give a higher pay rate in the offer packet than they tell you on the phone. Of course, I am hoping this proves to be true. Now I'm just waiting to sign the paperwork, and I'm excited to start working for this awesome company!

Here are some things I was asked in my only interview because I know that is what the majority of the readers are interested in:

-Talk about a time you had to help a friend with a technical problem.
-What is the most difficult technical problem you have ever handled?
-Do you have experience assembling computers or hard drives?
-I said no to this. Keep in mind that they are not looking for computer geeks. They just want people with great customer service skills and somewhat of a background in technology. If you don't have much tech experience, tell the interviewer honestly and confidently. It really is not a big deal.
-Talk about a customer service challenge you have overcome

Other than those questions, everything else involved more personal and simple questions about myself. The interview is laid back, and you will succeed if you remain confident and relaxed. Just like any other job interview, COME PREPARED. There are plenty of sample questions on this forum and elsewhere to help you out. Take advantage of them and your interview will go very well.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult technical problem you have ever handled?   Answer Question

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Apple in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, then attended a job fair. I didn't expect to hear anything, but received a phone call about three weeks later. I did a ten minute phone interview and was scheduled for a Facetime interview a week later. Then an interview with a management team. They are very friendly and relaxed. Remember that the customer's experience is the most important thing with them.

Interview Question – What type of email would you recommend someone use for checking email between two devices?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They told me the pay during the first interview. More than fair compensation, so no negotiation.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple in February 2014.

Interview Details – Was contacted via email. Had a quick conference call with the recruiter and then a very technical interview with the hiring manager. About a week later I was invited for onsite; there were a total of 6 back-to-back interviews including a lunch interview and an impromptu one at the end. Being a technical position, most of the questions were in-depth, either related to my past experience or the role. I was fairly satisfied with how I did and was expecting a positive outcome. Still it took them some time to get back to me they had one more candidate to interview. Some advice for all aspirants:
* Be ready to explain why are you interested in this particular position and how your background makes you a great fit.
* Don't make stuff up. If you don't know something, admit it.
* If applying for a technical position, brush up on fundamentals. It helps!
* Research your interviewers and look up your notes before every interview so if you have the opportunity you can "surprise" them.
* Have lots and lots and lots of questions. Everybody asks if you have any and it's better to ask (even a repeat question) than to say I exhausted the list. Why do you like working here is a good one and gives different perspectives.

Interview Question – List all material properties that affect the frequency of a cantilever beam   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The initial offer was a good one. I was able to negotiate a slightly higher base salary

Senior Specialist Interview

Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Apple in March 2011.

Interview Details – I got a call from the recruiter. Had a phone interview and 6 interview in person

Interview Question – There wasn't a most most difficult or unexpected Question   Answer Question

Expert Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Apple in February 2014.

Interview Details – Expert positions are typically from internal promotions but on occasion do hire external candidates. If you are an external candidate you will be interview 2-3 times in front of 2-5 managers or market leaders. Questions will relate anywhere from about products and services, to leadership and mentoring skills. If you are an external candidate it is extremely helpful to have a good deal of technical knowledge about apple products and services and how to create solutions for customers.

Interview Question – Who at work really enjoys you as a person and employee and what would they say about you?

Who would be your biggest critic and what would they say about you?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, salary is set and only have to discuss start time and training schedule.

Apple At-Home Advisor Interview

Blacksburg, VA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Apple.

Interview Details – Pretty laid back. Had 2 interviews. They told me I didn't get it. When I asked why they ignored me. I think they are looking for someone to be able to spout off anything they tell you to say.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. My printer isn't working what should I do.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interviewed at Apple

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me for phone interview. Phone screen took 20 min and they flew me over the next week for interviews with 8-10 people.

Interview Question – The technical interviews weren't hard but I got nixed by a top decision maker for lack of experience in one area.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Apple

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple interview questions and advice. All 2,090 interview reviews posted anonymously by Apple employees and interview candidates.