Apple Interview Questions

Updated Oct 28, 2014
2,498 Interview Reviews

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple.

I was contacted by an Apple recruiter who had come across my resume on Monster or some other site that I had it on. The position was for the manufacturing group for mobile devices. It wasn't my typical area of expertise as I'm more design focused, but I have an extensive background in manufacturing and machining, so It seemed like a good time to make a change. I had a quick phone call with the recruiter and was asked the standard questions regarding why I was looking for a job, was I willing to relocate, etc. After this brief (10 minute) phone interview, I received an email and scheduled another brief phone interview with another recruiter, then again with a hiring manager.

The conversation with the hiring manager was very technically focused on manufacturing processes, plastics, metals, composites, tooling, machine tools, inspection, surface finishing, treatments, etc. This was about 30 minutes and the manager was a pleasure to talk to. He had a great sense of humor and the conversation although technical, was enjoyable and relaxed.

Following this I received an email and was invited for an on site interview. The Apple travel site takes care of your airfare, hotel, and rental car and is very efficient.

The on site interview was about 5 hours, meeting with someone every 30 minutes. The bulk of the interviews consisted of a bunch of Apple products and pieces being placed in front of me and discussions on how they were produced, tooling to manipulate them, ensuring accuracy, how surface finishes were produced, why things were done a certain way, how I would do them, and so on.

Everyone I met with was light hearted and seemed to have a sense of humor. All incredibly bright individuals and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. All in all it was pretty intense, but if you know your stuff there shouldn't be anything unexpected. I was pleased that they didn't give me any brain teasers or abstract stuff like that. It was all straight to the point and was a good test of my manufacturing knowledge.

My advice to anyone in any interview situation is that if you don't know something, admit it. Don't try and BS your way through, especially in a group like I was in, as they will see through it. If you don't know something, just say so. My plastics experience is limited, so when technical questions about plastics and over molding came into the equation, I was up front and told them I knew about the process and could describe it to them, but had no hands on experience in it.

Also, make sure you can back up every single thing you put on your resume. If you have a lot of fluff in there it's going to come out in the interview process.

Lastly, don't show up empty handed. Bring examples of your work and show them how diverse your skill set is and why they should hire you. It's also a great for you to be able to talk intelligently about all the things you've done and explain your thought process behind them. This is what a lot of people you interview with are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • This was a very 'hands on' interview. No BS questions, but know every manufacturing process you can, regardless how abstract. Same goes for surface finishing, treatments, and manufacturing automation. Also Apple does things very differently, cost is second to quality, So where other manufacturers are stamping sheet metal and molding things out of cheap pot metal, Apple is CNC'ing components, has incredibly tight tolerances, and is highly automated.   View Answers (3)
    I initially received an offer from the recruiter verbally outlining my base salary, sign on bonus, relocation package, stock options, etc. They called me a few days later notifying me that the official offer was in the mail via FedEx next day air, and they had increased the base salary and sign on bonus that he had initially given me. It wasn't a massive increase in pay compared to what I was currently making, but it was enough to get me to accept, and was what I expected the job to pay. Certain things seem pretty set from a corporate standpoint (vacation days, stock vesting period, etc.) so I'm not sure how much negotiation room there actually is. Either way, I was happy with the offer they made me, and I accepted.

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Initial communications with Apple staff was awesome. They were very polite and allowed me to be me without intimidation. The interview process was very in depth and tested your knowledge not only of technical process but also about customer service skills. It was one of the most nerve wrecking experiences, but the people were an absolute joy!

Software Engineer Interview

One phone interview, one on-site interview. On-site consisted of two 2-1 interviews, one with two managers, one with two team leads. Then two 1-1 interviews with engineers from external teams. Got an offer the following week.

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

(4 interviews total, 6 week process)
    I applied for this position online and two weeks later I got an email about a Hiring Event that would take place in 10 days (Sunday at 10 AM for an hour and a half). This was actually pretty fun - they clapped as everyone walked in and they showed videos about employees loving their job. They started off by going around the whole room and having everyone introduce themselves individually by saying: our name, something we're passionate about, and something we learned at our last job. Then we broke up into individual group sessions where two employees held an iPad and asked us questions off of it. They joked around a lot and were really nice. There were 5 people in my group and everyone got asked different questions, two each, that were mainly situational ("how did you handle a situation where a customer wasn't happy" etc.)
    I got a call that day at 5 PM from the guy who ran the Hiring Event asking if I could come in for another interview in two days with him. That went well; I talked about my background and he asked similar situational questions. He called me that night asking if I could meet with the store manager in 2 days. This interview was super relaxed, she was interested in my background and we had a lot in common so it was easy to talk to her. More situational questions. Then she pretty much told me she wanted to move me along in the process so I would get a call later that week to set up another interview.
    Five days passed and I got a call to schedule another interview in a week. This time it was with 2 Market Leaders and one other person being interviewed. They asked us the same questions and we took turns answering. We talked about our background and interests, our past experience, and basically what we had to bring to the table. Then we asked a few questions and that was it.
    I got a call the next night saying I got the job, what my pay would be, and that I needed to submit to a background check. Overall it was a pretty lengthy process (one month and almost two weeks) and I still have to wait another 3 weeks to start training (3 day process). I am excited and hopefully this will all have been worth it!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you had to deal with new technology at a job   Answer Question

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

I entered my application on the Apple Corporate website around September 30, 2014. I received a call the next day from an Apple Recruiter who asked me very general questions about my availability and experience as well as gave me more information about the position, including pay rate. After speaking with her for about 5 to 10 minutes, she scheduled an interview with a second recruiter for the next day.

This interview was supposed to be via Skype but at the last minute i realized my Skype account didnt work so it was changed to a phone interview. That one took about 20 mins. It went well and I was told I would receive an email to schedule a third interview with a Team Manager. The email came the next day, which was a Friday, i went online and scheduled my interview for the following Monday. That interview lasted about 30 mins and then within an hour of completing that interview I got the call that I was being offered a position contigent on a background check.

I received an email the following day from HireRight and submitted the information for the background check. It took about 9 days after submitting the background info for Apple to get back to me. They did offer me the job and i happily accepted. Now im just waiting for paperwork and my equipment to come via Fedex.

Overall the experience was good. It seemed to move very quickly until the background check portion which can apparently take a while. The interviews are very typical with the exception of a few roleplay scenarios in the last one. The main thing to remember is to empathize with the client and express how sorry you are they are having problems. The people i interviewed with were all very friendly and made the process very easy!

Im very excited to get started!

Interview Questions
    • I just got a new iphone and it wont turn on!   View Answer
    No negotiation

Customer Care Agent (At Home) Escalation Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Apple.

Employees of Apple are passionate about premium products and services. The interview was 45 minutes and very focused on Apple's consumer. Most questions emphasized the quality of service Apple customers expect, problem solving skills, active listening, and most importantly, empathy. I have a talent for calming an angry customer, so I was comfortable with the process.

Interview Questions
    • "How do you handle the rare customer who stays unsatisfied?'   View Answer

Apple Retail Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Apple.

Apple retail hiring event for a single store in my area. Similar to the other reviews. Did role playing where different people took turns being the specialist and the customer. Asked us why we were a good fit for Apple.

Performance Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

1) apply online
    2) recruiter inquires if interest in the position(kernel performance engineer) and schedule a phone interview
    3) Hiring manager does a technical phone interview
    asking questions : scheduling algorithm, process/thread, performance, and all about operating system performance

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple.

It is an invited interview after an iOS hackathon in our university. The interviewer didn't ask too many questions, mainly about my previous projects on resume. Only one technical question has been asked.

Interview Questions
    • Assume you have many pages of slides, you want to change the order when you are editing them, say, you would like to insert the 7th page after the 3rd page and before the 4th page. Design and implement your idea.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Apple.

Was scheduled for an initial technical interview for a new grad position after talking with an engineer at a fall on campus career fair. I only had about half an hour to prepare and was a little flustered so it didn't go great. It was a pretty standard 30 minute technical interview, though.