Apple Interview Questions

2,433 Interview Reviews

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple.

I was contacted by an Apple recruiter who had come across my resume on Monster or some other site that I had it on. The position was for the manufacturing group for mobile devices. It wasn't my typical area of expertise as I'm more design focused, but I have an extensive background in manufacturing and machining, so It seemed like a good time to make a change. I had a quick phone call with the recruiter and was asked the standard questions regarding why I was looking for a job, was I willing to relocate, etc. After this brief (10 minute) phone interview, I received an email and scheduled another brief phone interview with another recruiter, then again with a hiring manager.

The conversation with the hiring manager was very technically focused on manufacturing processes, plastics, metals, composites, tooling, machine tools, inspection, surface finishing, treatments, etc. This was about 30 minutes and the manager was a pleasure to talk to. He had a great sense of humor and the conversation although technical, was enjoyable and relaxed.

Following this I received an email and was invited for an on site interview. The Apple travel site takes care of your airfare, hotel, and rental car and is very efficient.

The on site interview was about 5 hours, meeting with someone every 30 minutes. The bulk of the interviews consisted of a bunch of Apple products and pieces being placed in front of me and discussions on how they were produced, tooling to manipulate them, ensuring accuracy, how surface finishes were produced, why things were done a certain way, how I would do them, and so on.

Everyone I met with was light hearted and seemed to have a sense of humor. All incredibly bright individuals and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. All in all it was pretty intense, but if you know your stuff there shouldn't be anything unexpected. I was pleased that they didn't give me any brain teasers or abstract stuff like that. It was all straight to the point and was a good test of my manufacturing knowledge.

My advice to anyone in any interview situation is that if you don't know something, admit it. Don't try and BS your way through, especially in a group like I was in, as they will see through it. If you don't know something, just say so. My plastics experience is limited, so when technical questions about plastics and over molding came into the equation, I was up front and told them I knew about the process and could describe it to them, but had no hands on experience in it.

Also, make sure you can back up every single thing you put on your resume. If you have a lot of fluff in there it's going to come out in the interview process.

Lastly, don't show up empty handed. Bring examples of your work and show them how diverse your skill set is and why they should hire you. It's also a great for you to be able to talk intelligently about all the things you've done and explain your thought process behind them. This is what a lot of people you interview with are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • This was a very 'hands on' interview. No BS questions, but know every manufacturing process you can, regardless how abstract. Same goes for surface finishing, treatments, and manufacturing automation. Also Apple does things very differently, cost is second to quality, So where other manufacturers are stamping sheet metal and molding things out of cheap pot metal, Apple is CNC'ing components, has incredibly tight tolerances, and is highly automated.   View Answers (3)
    I initially received an offer from the recruiter verbally outlining my base salary, sign on bonus, relocation package, stock options, etc. They called me a few days later notifying me that the official offer was in the mail via FedEx next day air, and they had increased the base salary and sign on bonus that he had initially given me. It wasn't a massive increase in pay compared to what I was currently making, but it was enough to get me to accept, and was what I expected the job to pay. Certain things seem pretty set from a corporate standpoint (vacation days, stock vesting period, etc.) so I'm not sure how much negotiation room there actually is. Either way, I was happy with the offer they made me, and I accepted.

At-Home Advisor ITunes Chat Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Apple.

Applied online and got a call back same day. I had zero techie questions and only normal customer services questions. I had all three interviews and now wait for a response from them.

Interview Questions
    • What have you done most recently to improve your writing skills?   View Answers (2)

Apple Retail Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Apple.

Applied then a week later got an email for hiring event. only got passed first stage. your in a room with other potential employees along with apple workers. Your in a group of about 6 in each table. After they show some videos 2 employees go to each table and ask you questions. Each question is answered one by one by taking turns answering.

Interview Questions
    • The question that through me off was "Why do you do think we should pick you?" mostly because they asked this randomly in between "what's your favorite superhero and why" type of questions   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

All online application— very straightforward and to the point but friendly format. It is optional to submit a resume, but not required. They ask simple questions to learn more about you.

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Apple.

Received call from area Hiring manager. Interviewed with store managers. Turned down for employment. Interviewers seemed tense and tentative in their approach. Appeared as if they were going through the motions.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected -- just the usual canned interview.   Answer Question

Product Design Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Apple.

It's a campus interview and the interviewer asked me some questions about my major and some basic high school physics questions. It took 25 minutes and the interviewer asked me whether I could do a coop for the position

Interview Questions
    • Asked me about some materials properties that we seldom use in college   Answer Question

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) Interview

I submitted my resume online and was emailed within a couple days asking me to RSVP for a hiring event. I was called a couple days after the event asking me to come in for a one on one interview, but that's as far as I got in the process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in which you exceeding expectations, even your own?   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Apple.

Long process and poor communication. The process was more than 3 months. I had several rounds and more than 15 hours of interviews. Communication was sparse. Got updates only when I initiated it and after a few tries. At the end they told me position was on hold.

Most of the people I met were nice and enthusiastic. A couple of interviewers that have been at Apple for a number of years seemed less enthusiastic.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if team members can't come to a consensus?   Answer Question

At-Home Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Apple.

--Applied online
    --Received a phone call for an informal phone interview/basic questions (5 minutes)
    --Scheduled a second, more detailed interview to be conducted via FaceTime/Skype (your preference) with an HR rep.
    --Second interview via FaceTime lasted about 45 minutes, including role playing scenarios
    --Received e-mail to schedule a third interview to be conducted via FaceTime/Skype with a Team Manager
    --Third interview with Team Manager via FaceTime lasted about 30 minutes included more detailed technical questions and role playing
    --Once the interview process is completed, you will be called about the background check process and given an offer contingent upon the successful background check
    --The background check took about 5 days (criminal, employment, and education)
    --Once the background check is completed, you will again be notified via phone that you will receive an official offer letter via mail
    --Offer packet contains tons of information and paperwork to be completed
    --Upon receipt of your completed paperwork you are scheduled for training and your equipment is shipped

--The culture is very, very relaxed. It's Apple. Some people call it a cult, but it really does help if you're truly passionate about the products of the company.

Interview Questions
    • What is CPU?   View Answer
    • What is RAM?   View Answer
    • How would you respond to a college student who dropped her MacBook Pro and broke it during finals week?   View Answer
    Not much negotiation. The starting salary is set in stone based on your region.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Apple.

Applied online and a recruiter emailed back shortly afterwards to schedule a phone interview with the hiring manager. Smooth process and asked general questions. They send a project for you to work on if you are able to advance to the next step.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly background questions related to resume and skills needed for position   Answer Question

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!