Apple

Relevance Date Difficulty

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Manufacturing Engineer
Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an Apple recruiter who had come across my resume on Monster or some other site that I had it on. The position was for the manufacturing group for mobile devices. It wasn't my typical area of expertise as I'm more design focused, but I have an extensive background in manufacturing and machining, so It seemed like a good time to make a change. I had a quick phone call with the recruiter and was asked the standard questions regarding why I was looking for a job, was I willing to relocate, etc. After this brief (10 minute) phone interview, I received an email and scheduled another brief phone interview with another recruiter, then again with a hiring manager.

The conversation with the hiring manager was very technically focused on manufacturing processes, plastics, metals, composites, tooling, machine tools, inspection, surface finishing, treatments, etc. This was about 30 minutes and the manager was a pleasure to talk to. He had a great sense of humor and the conversation although technical, was enjoyable and relaxed.

Following this I received an email and was invited for an on site interview. The Apple travel site takes care of your airfare, hotel, and rental car and is very efficient.

The on site interview was about 5 hours, meeting with someone every 30 minutes. The bulk of the interviews consisted of a bunch of Apple products and pieces being placed in front of me and discussions on how they were produced, tooling to manipulate them, ensuring accuracy, how surface finishes were produced, why things were done a certain way, how I would do them, and so on.

Everyone I met with was light hearted and seemed to have a sense of humor. All incredibly bright individuals and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. All in all it was pretty intense, but if you know your stuff there shouldn't be anything unexpected. I was pleased that they didn't give me any brain teasers or abstract stuff like that. It was all straight to the point and was a good test of my manufacturing knowledge.

My advice to anyone in any interview situation is that if you don't know something, admit it. Don't try and BS your way through, especially in a group like I was in, as they will see through it. If you don't know something, just say so. My plastics experience is limited, so when technical questions about plastics and over molding came into the equation, I was up front and told them I knew about the process and could describe it to them, but had no hands on experience in it.

Also, make sure you can back up every single thing you put on your resume. If you have a lot of fluff in there it's going to come out in the interview process.

Lastly, don't show up empty handed. Bring examples of your work and show them how diverse your skill set is and why they should hire you. It's also a great for you to be able to talk intelligently about all the things you've done and explain your thought process behind them. This is what a lot of people you interview with are looking for.

Interview Question – This was a very 'hands on' interview. No BS questions, but know every manufacturing process you can, regardless how abstract. Same goes for surface finishing, treatments, and manufacturing automation. Also Apple does things very differently, cost is second to quality, So where other manufacturers are stamping sheet metal and molding things out of cheap pot metal, Apple is CNC'ing components, has incredibly tight tolerances, and is highly automated.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – I initially received an offer from the recruiter verbally outlining my base salary, sign on bonus, relocation package, stock options, etc. They called me a few days later notifying me that the official offer was in the mail via FedEx next day air, and they had increased the base salary and sign on bonus that he had initially given me. It wasn't a massive increase in pay compared to what I was currently making, but it was enough to get me to accept, and was what I expected the job to pay. Certain things seem pretty set from a corporate standpoint (vacation days, stock vesting period, etc.) so I'm not sure how much negotiation room there actually is. Either way, I was happy with the offer they made me, and I accepted.

At-Home Advisor Interview

At-Home Advisor

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple.

Interview Details – My resume was submitted internally. I waited almost a month before Apple called me, I actually got another job in the meantime. I received a cold call from a recruiter and a fifteen minute mini interview ensued. I was asked one customer service scenario and one very basic technical question about fixing an iPhone with a black screen Following that I was scheduled for another interview about a week later with another Apple recruiter. This interview lasted about thirty minutes.She asked me how I handled a situation with an irate customer and what I did to resolve it. She also asked me what type of e-mail I would recommend for sharing e-mail between an iPhone and an iPad. She liked my answers so she moved me on to a final interview with a team manager about a week later. That interview lasted almost an hour. The team manager I interviewed with asked me how I would handle a monster truck driver falling out of his truck, breaking his iPhone, and his arm. He also asked me about the difference between a hard drive and RAM, which one is faster, and how would explain that to an old lady. Then we talked about why I wanted to work for Apple and why he liked working for Apple. He told me that I would hear back in about three weeks. My recruiter called me three days later and advised me that the team manager really liked me and that I was moving into the background check phase. I received an e-mail from HireRight to fill out a form to start the background check. In the form you'll see things from your resume already imported. The process for me took about three business days to complete and HireRight did not need to contact me for more information. Almost a week after my check was completed my recruiter again called me to state that I was being offered a position and that I would receive an official offer letter in 3 business days, which arrived via FedEx. It came in a really nice white folder with a silver Apple logo on it. Along with the offer letter was also a ton of required paperwork (I-9, intellectual property, etc...) and an explanation of benefits. I start at the end of March. Here are some tips.

1. Be yourself, be prepared, and be excited
2. Make sure all potential distractions are addressed (pets, kids, etc...)
3. Make sure that your Skype or FaceTime are working and ready.
4. Do NOT lie on your resume. HireRight performs employment verification and you can't fake your way through the interviews. You will get caught,.
5. Be honest if you don't know the answer to the technical questions you will be asked. Apple is looking for superior customer service skills, technical troubleshooting can be taught. If you try to fake your way through it, you will get caught. The interviewers are very sharp.and very tech savvy.
6. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask your interviewer why he/she likes working for Apple. He/she will be impressed!

Interview Question – What type of e-mail would you recommend for someone who wants to share e-mail between an iPhone and an iPad   View Answers (4)

Specialist Interview

Specialist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in June 2014.

Interview Details – An employee submitted a referral for me with my resume many months ago. I got a call in early June for an interview, which totally surprised me! The interview was at my local Apple store and there was a group of about 10 applicants. There were two employees who explained everything about the process, talked about the company and roles and basically just discussed how everything would go. We were given a sheet of paper where you put availability, store preference, roles, and any other comments. They divided us into 2 groups for the actual interview part. The interviewer had an iPad and she just chose random questions and we answered by raising our hands in no particular order. Questions were about customer service experience, how you handled difficult situations, how you handled criticism from a boss, etc. Typical questions. We turned in the papers and they said they would contact us soon. I got a call the next day for another interview the following day. This interview was one-on-one and he asked the same kind of questions as before. Nothing difficult at all. It was extremely casual, we were just sitting outside talking. He told me to come back in a couple days for another interview with his boss. That interview was supposed to be a group interview, but the other applicant was late, so he started without them. It was the same customer service questions, really easy. Make sure you have questions to ask your interviewers at the end. After this interview, he told me his boss was out of town, but I'd get a call the following week to schedule it. This was where the process kind of stalled. About a week later, I got a call to schedule the interview, but the time didn't work for me. I played phone tag with the scheduler until she finally called me back a few days later with a time that worked for everyone and the interview was for the next week. The final interview was with the store leader, essentially the district manager, who gives the final say. It was me and one other candidate at this interview. He talked about himself and asked the usual questions. At the end, he said we could hear from that coming Monday. I waited until Monday and heard nothing. I got an e-mail on Sunday evening asking me to apply for the position online (I never did because I got an employee referral). About a week after this e-mail, I finally got a call with an offer! They asked me about my salary history, which was small because I had only 2 jobs before. They made a verbal offer and I accepted! You will get an e-mail to do a background check after this before you go any further. I think my interview process took longer because of managers being out-of-town and some employees were being changed around, but overall it was easy and fun.

Interview Question – Most questions were about handling difficult customers, receiving feedback from managers, and just general customer service experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Asked my salary history and offered me something similar to my last job. Very good pay.

Apple Retail Specialist Interview

Apple Retail Specialist
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Apple.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an invite to a hiring seminar within 2 weeks. Seminar consisted of 40 potential employees with a dozen staff from 2 different stores. Short introductory video about Apple followed by a period where you paired up and you introduced your partner. Next we broke up into small groups and had a short Q&A session.

Received a call the next day from a manager from one of the stores and said that I would moving on in the process and would receive a call for an interview within a week. A week later received a call from a different manager and had a 30 min long phone interview.

Received another email from the first manager saying that I was invited to an interview with the Store Leader the following week. Small group interview w/ 4 people followed.

Got invited to an interview with the Market Leader the following week, which was the last interview, again with 4 people. Received a call 1 week later with a job offer.

Interview Question – Think of a time where you made a split decision and it was the wrong decision. How did that affect the way you went about future situations in the future.   Answer Question

Mac Expert Interview

Mac Expert
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Apple in August 2011.

Interview Details – Hiring process was done in person. Very organized and efficient. Fun and not too stressful. Questions were focused on working from home, strategies and challenges of over the phone sales. Discussion of schedules and compensation limited but good. Followup happened quickly. Short process from interview to position being offered. Nothing to negotiate in a down economy.

Interview Question – The difference between selling in person versus over the phone.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You don't negotiate with a company this big in a down economy.

Specialist Interview

Specialist

Interviewed at Apple

Interview Details – I arrived for my interview on time at 9am, but I was told that the manager who was going to interview me was busy and I was asked to wait around for a few minutes. The experience at the group seminar made me feel like every response I made (whether it be to a question or situation) was being evaluated (and I’m fairly certain this is accurate). While waiting for my interview I acted extremely interested in the iPod Shuffles and Nanos (particularly the finish and headphone jacks) and talked up the security guard and a few employees. Thirty minutes passed before the manager came out to interview me, by which time another candidate had come in for his 9:30am interview. We were told we would be interviewed together. During our 1-hour interview we were mostly asked to recall past work experiences and situations. Some of the questions were repeats from the past two interviews, like “Why do you want to work for Apple?” Others included “Tell me a time when you didn’t meet your own expectations.” “Tell me a time when you exceeded the expectations of others.” “Tell me a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.” We were also allowed to ask questions about the inner-workings of the Apple store. The interviewer was incredibly nice and helpful and told us we should both hear back soon about coming in for another interview.

Interview Question – what flavor icecream are you   Answer Question

Expert Interview

Expert
Deer Park, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in January 2013.

Interview Details – Many interviews, be prepared, know your stuff. Apple only hires the best, and they ask a lot about you in order to get to know you. It was a rewarding process overall, and you get to meet a lot of people right off the bat.

Interview Question – It is an incredibly unique series of questions.   Answer Question

ITunes Interview

ITunes
Austin, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Apple in August 2012.

Interview Details – Pretty simple and I straight forward. I just recall being asked your typical questions, nothing that was intimidating. Just make sure you're resume is up to date and looks great

Negotiation Details – no

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
Northeast, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Apple in April 2014.

Interview Details – 2 recruiter interviews, several interviews with store leaders, business manager and market leader. Final interview with market director. I struggle with any company that puts you through 7 interviews where everyone you speak to including the immediate supervisor and their supervisory support hiring a candidate and someone 3 levels above makes the final decision. Where is the autonomy and trust?

Interview Question – Why are you looking to leave your current role. - you can provide the same answer in every interview and depending on who the interviewer is their perception can change   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Tech Support Interview

Tech Support
Black Earth, WI

I applied online - interviewed at Apple in January 2014.

Interview Details – Everyone was super nice and informative… This make the interview pleasant and easy. It was all online and I got hired a month later. There are tons of benefits and perks of working at apple. there is access to products at discounted rates. the atmosphere and mindset of working here is professional and you can't help to be proud of your job

Interview Question – there weren't any   Answer Question

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!