Apple

Updated Jan 20, 2015
2,675 Interview Reviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple in October 2007.

I was contacted by an engineer based on my technical blog. I had a phone interview, then was flown out for a full interview. It was a pretty intense interview (have been through an MS interview, too). Lots of people, very focused on skills and knowledge, really rapid fire. I got everything from database design to CSS questions. Lunch with the hiring manager. Smart folks.

Interview Questions

Seemed like everyone kind of hated their job, but loved that they worked for Apple. The location was also a big negative.

IPhone Battery Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple in March 2008.

The interview was very technical. I was not used to this kind of extreme technical interviews. My past interview experiences have all been very heavily behavioural and situational based. It felt like doing an electrical engineering and software engineering oral exam all at the same time when I was going through the Apple interview.
    Prior to the interview I was not told clearly what position I was being interviewed for. I emailed an Apple campus recruiter and asked for an internship and I got an interview very quickly. However my interviewers did not call me at the specific time on the arranged date. When they finally called me I was caught off guard and a little distraught from not receiving the call when I was supposed to.

Interview Questions
    • How was the garbage collection in C# different from Objective-C?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple in October 2009.

Well it started off as someone spreading the job oportunity at the apple store, so I made aquaintance with her which put me one foot In the door. Then I applied online and later decided to give the a hard copy to insure I was really interested. Later that week, I got an email stating that I was invite to an invitation-only hiring event. So of course I felt good, being that I had almost nothing on my resume other then volenteer work and pretty words. So I attented and it was rather interesting. They start with an inspiring video which also introduce the company at a general level. It was a group based interview that consisted of, presenting a product as if you were am employee, building a space ship out of toys, and a round table with a series of questions. It seemed as I did well to move on the the next step of the hiring process and acquired an 1 on 1 interview. I aswered everything well and he seemed interested, as for right now, I'm waiting for either a rejection email, or an additional interview. I will post later if that is the additional interview takes place.

Interview Questions
    • What can you offer to our company that will make us choose you rather then any other applicant?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple in November 2009.

Extremely technical interview, with questions on transistor design and application. Also asked in-depth questions on digital logic design and VLSI. I personally think asking extremely technical questions on the phone is ridiculous, especially if you don't have the question and figures in front of you. If you are an Electrical or Computer Engineering student seeking an internship, make sure you understand ALL of your core-level classes like Electromagnetism, Digital Logics, Electronics, and basic Programming.

Interview Questions
    • What courses pertaining to transistor design have you taken?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Apple in January 2010.

The interview process was fairly rigorous. It began with a 30 minute phone screen where I was asked about my experience in the field and my interests, and I was presented with a slightly more technical physics problem. I was then contacted about having an onsite interview the following week. The onsite interview lasted for almost 7 hours, and consisted of 10+ interviews with employees in the division, who asked about everything from specific design questions to why I wanted to work there to what I valued in a job. I also presented my numerous projects. The following week, I ended the process with a shorter interview with two upper level managers. To the best of my knowledge, everything went very smoothly. Unfortunately, I wasn't offered the position, which was obviously disappointing after 10+ hours of interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • After being presented a part of a product, they ask "How do you think this is made"   Answer Question

IPhone Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple in January 2010.

An internal recruiter approached me about this role. She had an old resume and I gave her a refresh. She was pleasant to talk to. I then proceeded to have a phone screen with the group's SW manager. He informed me it was a position that focused on resolving performance issues, and they're in need of a generalist. I wasn't too confident of my chances, because I know they going to be hard-core about it. We talked about multi-threading issues, like how I'd know my program was in a deadlock situation.

I didn't think I was going to get a callback, but I lo and behold, I did! So I go in the following Monday to the Mothership. I was initially double-teamed by 2 engineers. It was pretty much a train-wreck after they were done with me. They asked me stuff that did not leverage my current knowledge...for example:

1) How would I implement 'ls'? My immediate answer: I don't know about File systems to answer that question adquately.

2) How do programs load and run? I might have touched upon that subject briefly in college. Another I-don't-know answer from me.

3) Is it possible to write a user-level pthreads library. I took a stab at this one, but they picked apart every answer I gave, like vultures. So I ended up crying uncle on that too.

The rest of the interview was much better, but I knew my goose was cooked/fried by then.

I did get the expected no-thank-you note from the recruiter. I did however, write back and relayed to her my awful experience interviewing; that the first two guys either ignored or didn't read my resume...and therefore were ill-suited to interview me.

She was really cool, and felt she took my opinion seriously. We have stayed in touch.

Although, I subsequently took another company's job offer. It was a no-brainer actually.

Interview Questions
    • How would I implement the 'ls' command in Unix?   View Answers (2)
    • How does the runtime program loader work?   View Answers (2)
    • Is it possible to write a user-level threading library, ala pthreads?   View Answer
    • Writing a run-length encoder to do a basic compression scheme on an ASCII character data file.   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple in May 2010.

The interview process took a very very long time for the position, which was the 2 year internship which would basically make you an assistant manager of the store. From what I gathered was that they were basically looking to fill in-store specialist spots and generally after working in the same store for 2 years if you are motivated you can become a general manager.

Interview Questions
    • How do you go above and beyond to make the guests in the store feel welcomed?   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Apple in July 2010.

The first part of the hiring process, the group interview, is more or less a personality test. Apple uses it mainly to observe the prospective employees and gauge their attitudes in a teamwork setting -- the company's retail business model involves heavy teamwork. Apple isn't looking to hire an 'employee', they're looking to hire a 'person' who can work as one. Personality is key. Anyone can answer questions about Apple's products with proper training, but it takes the right kind of person to make the conversation flow smoothly and address concerns with the right tone. Be passionate, be friendly to those who you are seated with, and it doesn't hurt to have a good sense of humor. Throw the dress code out the door -- just be yourself. I recommend not dressing all "Business Casual" as they ask, but a simple pair of jeans (non-destroyed), clean shoes (I wore sneakers), and button-up shirt (untucked) can do it as long as you have the right personality. Again, Apple values personality over what you show up in.

If you're liked, you should be receiving an email or phone call within the next three days or so asking you to come in for a second interview. In my case, the second interview was a one-on-one with the Store Manager of the place I wanted to work at. Even though they asked a few specific questions (tell us about a time when you had to deal with a difficult employee at a previous workplace, what's your greatest weakness, would you recommend an iPad or MacBook to someone and why, etc.) what I feel is their biggest question in the interview is at the end when they ask "Do you have any questions for me?". The goal of this question, in my opinion, is to gauge whether or not you can ask open-ended questions and not just modal ones. A modal question is one that can be answered easily, especially with a yes or no answer. Do not ask these. Ask specific questions that can only be answered with a detailed explanation, this way it shows that you can not only hold your own ground with the company but that you can also perform on-the-go with customers. Remember, this second interview is a test on your quick-thinking and also focuses on your personality. Again, dress code is not a big issue. A simple button up shirt with clean denim and nice shoes will do the trick. Be confident, look everyone in the eye when addressing them, and do not be afraid to socialize with the person who's interviewing you.

If they like you after this, you should be receiving yet another email or phone call asking you to come in for a third interview. The third interview is very different from the other one. It's a one-on-one interview with who is, in essence, the regional manager of the area you are applying for. The interview takes anywhere from twenty minutes to an hour and is mainly an assessment of your personality. The regional manager does not look at your resume beforehand nor do they ask your previous interviewers about their assessment of you. If you've made it this far, it's safe to say that you have a pretty high chance of obtaining a job offer. Be yourself, ask open-ended questions, and most of all have confidence. If you're at stage three, you must have been landing the right impressions during your past interviews to get there. I received a job offer after this interview and accepted. I won't be disclosing pay, benefits, nor any operations details.

I hope this insight into the interview process has been helpful for all aspiring candidates.

Specialist Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple in May 2010.

1) Phone Interview w/ tech questions
    2) Group interview (social test)
    3) 1 on 1 interview with a store manager
    4) 1 on 1 with the market leader

Interview Questions
    • Explain a customer service experience where you went above and beyond.   Answer Question
    • Give me your life story and don't hold back.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple in October 2010.

Fast response from HR in the beginning. Quick turnaround for interview scheduling. The interviewer called me 1 hour late but very nice once the interview began. Questions were tough and I was expected to be just as good as the employees that have already been working there for several years. After the interview, though, I never heard back from HR at all. Their hiring department only cares about people they want to hire, and even then are haphazard at best.

Interview Questions
    • If your browser crashes, how would you debug it only using the command line?   View Answer