Apple Interview Questions

Updated Jul 3, 2015
3,219 Interview Reviews

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

First one was a large group interview. Truly have no idea how they knew who was who. It seems pretty obvious that you have to find a way to stand out, and show that you can be fun and friendly when speaking in front of others.

Second interview was conducted by HR at the store.

Interview Questions

• If you could show someone new to Apple one thing about something you love: what would it be and how would you demonstrate it.   1 Answer

Apple Genius Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

Process was a bit lengthy, and not quite what I expected. It is very similar to some of the models on here.

I applied online and the next day I called the store I applied to to see if they got my application. They said the whole process was electronic and they see I submitted it, and that most people get invited to a hiring event after 2-3 weeks of submitting an application.

5 days letter I got an email inviting me to come to a hiring event. There were 3 different options available, all 2 hour time slots in the same day and each with about 20 available slots. Then I got to my hiring event, about 15 applicants were there and about 6 managers. The managers sat in back while one gave a PowerPoint presentation and then asked us a bunch of questions to the public. Be sure to answer them and raise your hand a ton so that you stand out in front of the others. After this you will split into groups and answer questions on how you dealt with different situations in previous work experiences. Each will be directed by one of the managers and they will continue to write everything down. Just answer them to the best of your ability.

A couple days later I got invited to a second interview with the store manager. I said sure, and went to that interview. Much to my surprise I was still interviewing with another person. It was two of us and two managers. They asked us about our lives and what we liked to do in our free time, our favorite Apple products and of course why Apple. They told us they would let us know in 72 hours if we were invited back.

About 20 hours later I got called back in for an interview with the market leader. Once again I was not alone and had another applicant with me when I went to this interview. This interview was more about logistics, how our schedules would work with apples schedule, etc. they also asked a little about us and also wanted us to tell them why Apple, where do we see ourselves in the future.

After this interview I got offered a job while I was in the room. Both of us got offered and we both accepted, but the thing is they DONT hire anyone into genius. They just post that it's open position online, most already existing employees get those jobs. I got hired as a part time specialist to start, but the pay is still great.

Overall you just need to be confident and outgoing. They really don't care how much technical things you know about their products, as they can teach you that. They just want people who can connect to people.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

I was expedited through the process as Apple acquired the company I was going to work for. Apple flew me out for one day of on-site interviews, and I had three 2-1 interviews. There was no effort to get to know me in any of them. Each interview was an hour spent entirely on technical questions covering algorithms and system design.

The first two interviews were not great, but not terrible. I asked a lot of clarifying questions, which seemed to annoy the interviewers more than anything. Weird.

The worst interview I've ever had was the 3rd one, with the two team leads. One of them wrote up a problem on the whiteboard, and then spent the rest of the interview looking bored out of his mind at his phone. His problem was very vague and incomplete as he first asked it, and when I asked questions about it he got frustrated and talked down to me. He would occasionally glance up at my progress (it wasn't a hard problem once the details were worked out) and make a snide remark about what I had written. He expected syntactically perfect whiteboard code, and threw in some expletives for an added bonus. The other interviewer would snicker whenever the first criticized my code. At the end they asked if I had any questions, but every question I asked was met with, "That's confidential." It was definitely the most unprofessional interview I've ever been a part of, and I almost walked out of it because it was clear it was wasting all of our time.

Unfortunately the misery didn't quite end there, as it took Apple three full months (and 13 reminder emails) to reimburse me for the costs I had to pay for cab rides and per diem expenses. I was also never reimbursed for a flight I had to cancel because of the interview timing, but at this point I'm just tired of dealing with them. If possible, try to get Apple to pay up front for as much stuff as possible, because the reimbursement process is a nightmare. My (senior) recruiter had no idea where to even begin with it, which I still don't quite understand.

Interview Questions

• The skyline problem

Given a set of interval tuples, find the longest overlapping interval

Given a huge log file of a web server, find the IP addresses that had exactly 1 request

A network is connected in a line, so that servers can talk only to the servers to their left or right. Servers know if they are the leftmost or rightmost servers. What's a protocol for every server to learn the full topology? How long does it take?

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aventura, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple (Aventura, FL).

Interview

Apply Online > Wait at least 1 month before getting a call, sometimes even 2-3 months > Get ready for at least 2 interviews (I did 3).
    If you can, walk into a store and talk to a specialist get friendly, say you want to work there. They might tell you to send them your resume so they can turn it in as a referral (they get $250) if you get hired.

Interview Questions

• All questions will be ABOUT YOU! Get ready to describe yourself. Please Please love the products! Use the products other than the iPhone! Use iMovie, iPhoto in your iPhone. Use the  applications and know each one. Not hard at all. Walk in comfortable, describe why you want to work for them? Questions like Describe something you love not being technology.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

On site interview from 10 AM to 5 PM. In total there were about 6 interviews for an hour each, and an hour lunch at 1 infinite loop. Interviewers were very fair and had a conversational demeanor. Apple paid to fly me out to CA and covered all of my expenses.

Interview Questions

• What is polymorphism?
      How could you approximate a non-linear function with only multiplication and additions.
      Techniques for allocating static and dynamic memory.

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Richmond, VA).

Interview

The interviews are exactly as described in previous posts. The interviewers are very polite and ask very basic troubleshooting questions. Remember, it's always about the customers first!

First call is very breif, perhaps 6-10 minutes, and describes the position and rate. They have you do a fast customer service roleplay as well. If you are successful, a second interview is immediately scheduled.

Second interview is via FaceTime / Skype and lasts around 30 minutes. Your previous work history is discusses and you are asked 3 simple tech questions and two roleplay scenarios. A successful interview advances you to the third and final interview phase.

I have my third and final interview tomorrow! Fingers crossed! :-)

AppleCare At Home Chat Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Preliminary Interview (5/22):
    Questions were asked about my current position, why I’m wanting to move over to Apple, etc. The job expectations, pay rate, and other benefits to the job were discussed. He asked me about my current employer a little bit. The training start date was explained, and the number of weeks of training were explained. It’s strongly emphasized here that you are able and willing to meet their schedule requirements. The interviewer explained that the position I would be entering would be the daytime position, which is between 4:30am – 11pm CST. The call lasted about 10 minutes, and was very low pressure. We scheduled a second interview with a recruiter.

Second Interview (5/28):
    This was a much more detailed interview, as you would expect. It’s conducted via webcam in HireVue, unlike FaceTime or Skype with their voice support interviews, because they need a chat window to work with to assess your chatting abilities.

I was asked in more detail about my work history, and the following questions came up:
    -Explain what you know about the position so far: expectations, pay rate, training period, etc. – She was looking to make sure I cared and paid attention to my last interview.
    -Did you have a chance to watch the AHA video on our website?
    -Based on the video, how would you explain Apple’s approach to customer support? – Again, looking for my honesty and ability to pay attention to details.
    -Explain how a normal work day looks for you.
    -Explain a time when your manager had to address an issue with you.
    -What is it about Apple that makes you want to work with us?

The chat roleplay involved the following scenarios:
    -A customer who was needing to delete apps from the iPad. It was a birthday present, so be sure to celebrate the new iPad and the birthday with the customer. The customer was also concerned about charges that may come with the apps that were downloaded.
    -A customer who was not able to connect his MacBook Air to a hotel Wi-Fi connection for a business meeting. Do not focus on the exact steps here, if you are not familiar with Mac products. Troubleshoot it generally, as if it were a Windows computer, if necessary. Use probing questions and empathy.

KEY SUGGESTION* = many people have remarked about how the chat window is small and narrow. If you click the arrow in the little chat box, it will pop it out of your browser so you can adjust the sizing.

At the conclusion of this, I had a few questions for the recruiter, and she invited me to the next stage of the interview process. The next day I received an email from Apple, which allowed me to schedule my final interview.

Final Interview (6/25):
    It took a little over an hour. The conversation was really interesting, personal, and it was very low pressure.

Each interviewer has a unique personality, though, and I think that influences the uniformity of the interviews. My previous interview felt much more formal and a little cold, albeit friendly.

The main questions I remember being asked were:
    -Describe a time you were not able to resolve an issue with a customer, and what you did.
    -Describe a time when you had to receive some feedback from your supervisor.

To be honest, the rest of my interview questions were surprisingly specific, and related to my current position with another call center company. I would definitely study yourself as much as the interview questions you've found here. You may find the subject of the questions are custom tailored to your personal resume and experiences.

The chat role plays were regarding a customer who was not able to receive texts and emails while in their home (it was a cellular coverage issue), a customer who was not able to use his VPN (due to a password issue), and another customer who was not able to use their email on their phone (yet another password issue).

Interview Questions

• -Explain what you know about the position so far: expectations, pay rate, training period, etc.
      -Describe a time when you had to receive some feedback from your supervisor.
      -Explain how a normal work day looks for you.
      -What is it about Apple that makes you want to work with us?

Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

After few years away from Apple, I decided to come back as a rehire. Not surprisingly, the rehire process is the same as the new hire process. You begin with a group interview, you share with the group a little bit about your background, you do some role playing, you listen to recruiters talk about what it's like working for Apple, and that's it for round one (first interview).

Interview Questions

• Round 2 (if you get a call back for 2nd interview) you meet one on one with a recruiter. The discussion is casual and informal. At this stage they just want to get to know you personally. I'd like to think of this as the psychology test round. They'll ask about your hobbies, what Apple products you're excited about, what your work history is like, what your ideal pay rate is, etc. They will also ask how you handle various work situation at your previous jobs. If all goes well during this stage of the interview process they will schedule you for a 3rd interview at a later date.   Answer Question
    • Round 3 is where you meet with department managers. Essentially this is the part where they "shop" you out to see which area in the store you'll work best in. Again, they'll ask you similar questions from previous interview rounds. They will also ask about your career goals and why you want to work for Apple.   Answer Question
    • Intermission / Round 4 - Believe it or not there is a 4th interview but there is a relatively large time gap between the 3rd and 4th interview. At the 4th interview you meet with the general store manager / assistant managers. Again repeating the same question as previous interviews. Depending on which position you applied for this maybe your last and final interview round.   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

I was already an internal worker, so just had one interview with a senior manager. It was about 30 to 45 minutes long. Was a bit causal and relaxed. Just talking with the manager and sharing your past experiences.

Interview Questions

• Competency based questions: Tell me a time when your communication skills made a difference to a situation?   Answer Question

Apple At Home Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Apple (North Las Vegas, NV) in June 2015.

Interview

There is 3 interviews for apple.1st the phone call from a recruiter. 2nd interview with hr. 3rd with a manager. I thought I didn't good on my 2nd interview because I knew that I could of answer the questions better in the role play. I just finished the 3rd on this morning the guy was really nice and laid back. I did good on the first role play but the 2nd I didn't. I think I just forgot. It's was easy question. His iPhone 6 isn't connecting to his phone anymore. I was like oh I know this is easy. What happened next I blanked out. I try to walk him through some steps to see if he was receiving calls or anything else to make sure that that was it. So that I can see if the answer would come to me but it didnt. I told him that I use hardware connection to my ipod and hands free mode on my Samsung. My dumb but forgot that I use my bluetooth.