Apple

Updated Dec 13, 2014

2.8

117 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Apple.

Phone interview followed by a group interview followed by a store manger interview. The group interview was the hardest because there were so many people you had to stand out from (answer questions, and volunteer to participate in everything). Also, the attire was casual and a few people who came in sweats were definitely not hired. You don't need to have much technical knowledge, you just have to be able to comfortably speak to people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

The first round of interviews is usually a large group setting. They'll bring in around 50-100 potential people, and most of the questions/scenarios they run you through are really to discover your personality and your work ethics. Be yourself. Goofy, serious, doesn't matter, but be honest. They can teach you what you don't know about technology, they can't teach you to be charming. Subsequent interviews are tougher and usually small groups of 2-4 people. That's where they ask much more specific questions about you. The best advice I can give, is don't be discouraged if you don't get in the first time! They are incredibly particular about who they hire, and sometimes the timing just isn't right!

Interview Questions
    • Plan a trip for me to (randomly chosen location). Ask me any questions you want to make sure I have the best experience possible.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. They don't really budge on their offers, because they know there are plenty of people out there willing to step in, if you're not.

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Apple in October 2014.

I have just been for the phase 1 of the interview as of yet. But been called in for the second interview. The first interview was with a group. Two other people and I. We had a very pleasant interviewer. The same questions were asked of all three in turn.

Interview Questions
    • She asked whether anyone knew which company Apple had partnered up with recently?   View Answer
    I have just got the call for the second interview.

Creative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Apple in September 2014.

I applied for a Creative in store position online, as well as a marketing corporate position. I have 7 years experience as a graphic designer, and 4+ years experience in a senior and supervising role. I was emailed back to come in for an interview very quickly (a day or two). When I arrived, I found out it was a group interview, which I had never done before. I found quickly that I had way more working experience than the 3 other candidates, most of them in or just out of college. Each question asked then had a bit of a short roundtable of everyone answering. It only lasted 30min, total, very simple questions about work experience and Apple knowledge and appreciation.

The interview went well, and only an hour after I was called and asked to come in for a second interview at a different store the next morning. I met one on one at a different location with a store manager, who asked further standard interview questions, and more about my interest in Apple. Oddly, neither the first or second interviewer had known that I was specifically brought in in regard to the Creative role, rather than a retail or customer service specialist, or otherwise. Most of the second interview was then establishing this is my area of interest.

Again, shortly after the interview I was called and set up for a third interview the following week. It was at the same store, but with another head manager of the same store. A week later, I met with the manager that specifically worked with what Apple calls the Family Room Specialists, who house the Creatives. I was told after asking (because at this point no one told me the exact position I was up for) that I would be trying for a entry level Specialist position, in the Family Room area.

At this point, all interviews had gone very well, but during this interview the manager seemed distracted and uninterested. I answered questions with the same enthusiasm I had previously, and articulated my years experience pertaining to the position and my high level interest in Apple, yet it didn't seem to be enough as the interview went on. This interview was also framed much more casually than the first two, with the manager asking a lot of more "fun" or personal questions, like What Do You Do For Fun, or seemingly random small talk.

While I felt like I handled the third interview well, leaving, I felt immediately negative about it, judging by the way the manager presented himself and his general aloof attitude. Toward the end of the interview, he slipped in that these positions are "Very Competitive", which I took as "You are not jumping through hoops enough for me to be excited about hiring you" (He also referred to Apple as "High End Retail", which I kind of think is a bit dramatic, but that's just me). I instead tried to be very straightforward and articulate about the position and my qualifications, rather than show unbridled passion and energy about it. The position, I understood, is a lot of sit down, one on one interaction, which takes a lot of patience, which is something I was trying to demonstrate. And honestly, after 3 separate interviews, I was bit anxious and curious on what exactly else they were looking to learn about me that would be crucial to the position.

One week later, after 3 interviews, all I was given was a short email saying they were pursuing other candidates. To be fair, it seemed as I was shuffled around that they didn't necessarily need new Creatives at the time in that store (Which is weird as that is what i specifically applied for in the first place), so HR might have just been handing me off to try and see if they could place me, as I had a lot of experience and technical qualifications. Every interview was only 20-30 min. I think they have this system in place for their benefit, as it is time effective for them, but not for candidates, who end up having to jump around town (at least in NYC) and re-interview until something fits, or doesn't. For all that trouble, though, it didn't seem worth it for so many repeat visits. By the third interview for an entry level position, which they literally bring people on for all the time, I couldn't see why I wouldn't have worked out for them; Maybe they saw my resume and figured I wouldn't stay long and didn't want to waste there time and resources... or maybe they didn't think I loved Apple enough for some reason, as I still only have the iPhone 4 (but three newer Apple computers). Also, the iPhone 6 was about to launch, so maybe that is just not a good hiring time for non-sales people.

Either way, a sort of bloated and confusing experience to not at least get a shot.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Whole process took just shy of 4 weeks, from the time I submitted my application to job offer. I was invited for an interview about 3 days after I submitting the job application. First interview was as a group and it can range from 3 to 5 other individuals total including myself. Questions asked were fairly typical, mostly behavioral questions on how you deal with customers and some technical ones, like your favorite Apple product. Interview lasted 1 hour. Was offered a 2nd interview through email later in the day. Second interview was a one on one with a store leader. Very quick, lasted maybe 15 minutes. Again, behavioral questions and past customer service experiences. Was invited to a third interview a few days later. It was a 1 on 2, store manager and store leader. Very quick again, maybe 10 minutes at the most. Was offered the position after the interview was over.

Interview Questions
    • Was there a time where you did not satisfy a customer's needs?   Answer Question

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Apple in August 2014.

Four interviews until you get an offer, the first interview is in a group of maximum 5 people excluding the interviewer. After that, the 2nd and 3rd interviews get progressively deeper and personal. After the 3rd interview, you practically have the job at that point.
    Make sure you are humble and get to know the person you are interviewing as well as the people who are being interviewed along with you (you never know, they might be working with you!) They are not looking for a know-it-all, they want someone who can connect with people in a short amount of time, their philosophy, which they will tell you, "you can teach a blank slate anything." Make sure you know how to describe scenarios of helping other people professionally as well as times you were disappointed with yourself. Go into great detail as to how you work well with other people. They don't want people who have had retail experience for 20 years (I've never worked in retail) they want someone who is passionate about what they know and willing to share this passion with others.

Interview Questions
    • What's your favorite iPhone App? (Asked in my 2nd interview)   View Answer
    • Why do you think we do group interviews in the first stage? (This was asked in my 3rd interview)   View Answer
    Usually they are lenient with what they give you, you can negotiate a little.

Creative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple in August 2014.

I applied online and it took two months for them to contact me for a group interview. It was a group of 6 other people including myself. They asked pretty basic questions. After that we had to fill out a paper for what positions, which locations and what schedule you would like. After a week they e-mailed me for round 2 in one of the location you picked. This time there were two people interviewing you. Once again asking you basic questions.

Interview Questions
    • First interview: What would be the most useful app on any mac/ apple product that you use.

Second interview: What could be the most difficult way to communicate with a customer?

View Answer

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Apple in August 2014.

The interview was quite interesting. More about sharing experiences, like how you did your job right/wrong. The first interview is most likely to be a group interview, so try to mingle with others when you arrive. And try think of some good questions about the company.

Interview Questions
    • The interview may be difficult for those who have no experience in retail industry   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhasset, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhasset, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple in July 2014.

I applied online for the Specialist position for two particular stores in my area. Within 2 weeks I got an automated response email, that had a link to RSVP my interview.

1. Show up early and get to mingle with the current staff & with other candidates
    2. You will most likely be in a group interview consisting 2 to 5 candidates
    3. In the beginning of the interview is basic introduction going around the room introducing yourself, recent accomplishment, and why Apple?
    4. Two rounds of random questions that is directed to each individual.
    5. Fill out your basic info & days available to work. Plus which Apple products you are familiar with.
    6. Lastly any questions you may have for the recruiters.

*If you do well, there will 1 to 2 other interviews at another time.

Interview Questions
    • 1. How would you introduce a new employee to a current employee.
      2. Explain a time you took a risk, and if that risk benefited you or not.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Apple in July 2014.

First interview was a group of 5 at the regional office in manhattan. One interviewer asking us all questions then started asking us each a specific question. Really relaxing interview if you're confident about speaking with people. A great way to stand out from the others.

Second interview was held at the store with the Store leader. WAY more nerve racking because you're almost there. This is one on one but sometimes two on one.

Still waiting on my response.