Apple

Updated Mar 4, 2015
Updated Mar 4, 2015

Family Room Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Apple.

Extensive interview for retail, but standard for any other job. Apply online (only), 2-3 in-person interviews. Tech interest is important, but truly, I feel Apple hires based on communication and engagement. You need to demonstrate patience with odd questions or people, the ability to diffuse heated situations with customers, and have an optimistic, service-orientated communication.

Upon hiring, you have 2 weeks of training on customer service and engagement followed by in-store shadowing and tech training.

Apple Genius Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple in January 2015.

Your scheduled to arrived 15mins before the start of your interview. I was offered something to drink but didn't want to. Then we moved into a group of 7 people and the inerviewer started talking about apple and how long she worked there. Afterwords its just a little get to know everybody there. You will watch a 2min video about the apple employees. Good experience but come prepared for group interviews!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple in January 2015.

The recruiter first asked 1 java question and 2 bit manipulation question. After I answer them, he let me to ask him question. according to my previous project experience, I told him what I preferred to do. But he told me that apple has few position for my preference.

Business Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple in January 2015.

campus event phone call facetime call 4 managers very friendly but the internet was not good as recall many times but the questions were easy and hr emailed me after two weeks yes no yes no

Apple Retail Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Apple.

Phone interview followed by a group interview followed by a store manger interview. The group interview was the hardest because there were so many people you had to stand out from (answer questions, and volunteer to participate in everything). Also, the attire was casual and a few people who came in sweats were definitely not hired. You don't need to have much technical knowledge, you just have to be able to comfortably speak to people.

Apple Retail Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple in November 2014.

I received an invitation to attend one of Apple's Retail store hiring events at the Walden Galleria in Buffalo, NY this past weekend. It was, without a doubt, one of the most uncomfortable and infuriating positions I have ever been placed in regarding interviewing for a job. It was, first off, at 7:30 pm on a Sunday night and lasted until 9:45pm going over the two hours they ask you to prepare for.

Here is the run down:

First impressions - Remember that scene from Fun with Duck and Jane where Duck races his interview competitor up the stairs only to discover a line of hundreds of other shmucks already waiting? That's exactly what it was like coming in for this event. There were so many people. We were greeted at the door by semi-rushed looking employees who gave us a questionnaire to fill out and a nametag. After about 15 minutes they called us in and clapped/cheered as we came into the store in a single line. It was bizarre and uncomfortable but whatever; that's what the culture is like at Apple.

The event begins - They led us toward the back of the store where we were seated. They had about 10 nice chairs with back support in the front row which were taken by the first people to make it in and the rest of us were stuck with extremely uncomfortable bar stools to sit on for 80% of the time spent there. It sucked. The hiring manager talked to us for about 10 minutes or so sounding un-prepared regarding what he was going to say, followed by more amateurish presentation by another set of employees who couldn't get the sound to work on their Apple device. Next, they had us split up and answer a 10 question quiz to "get an idea" of where we stood in terms of our technological understanding. We watched several apple videos after this, which are available on their website and received a run down of the different job types and titles offered in the store.

The Interview - For the actual interview portion we were split up into four groups of 4-5 people. The apple employees also split into groups and rotated to each set of potential candidates to "observe" our question and answer process. Essentially, no one at apple asked us a single interview question. They gave us an iPad and we passed it around the table asking each other the interview questions listed. The employees looked bored and were barely listening to anything we were saying. This was extremely unprofessional and discouraging.

The Close of the Event - After the "interviewing" we returned to our uncomfortable seats and the hiring manager came back to give us closing remarks and to answer any questions. He was asked how many positions were available and vaguely answered as best he could that they usually only hire between 20-30% of the people who attend the event. This is generally about 5-6 people out of the 25+ who were there. He told us we would receive one of two emails in the next 48 hours - one to invite us back to continue the process or another saying thanks but no thanks. About half of the 15ish employees there shared that they had applied and attended hiring events multiple times before being offered a position and not to be discouraged if we are not invited back. Here they reiterated Apple's policy that "they don't say 'no,' they say, 'not now.'"

From this experience I lost any interest what-so-ever in working for Apple. The whole process was ridiculous and as I stated before entirely infuriating.

The thing that bothered me the most was the videos they played of "current" apple associates who said things to the effect of "its about being yourself not how technologically advanced you are" and how "you don't stop being you because you work at apple." The hiring manager contradicted these apple "values" when he said the following:

1.) That the associate must be educated.
    2.) That the associate must be technologically advanced enough to speak to a "genius," and someone who was "computer illiterate"
    3.) When you work for apple it becomes your family and even though your title might be part time you will work anywhere from 30-35 hours a week.

I was really looking forward to this event and was very disappointed that it turned out being such a waste of time. I hope this helps others who are potentially interested in working for Apple and that to those of you who are that you experience is better than mine.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty typical of any professional interview   Answer Question

Apple Retail Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

The first round of interviews is usually a large group setting. They'll bring in around 50-100 potential people, and most of the questions/scenarios they run you through are really to discover your personality and your work ethics. Be yourself. Goofy, serious, doesn't matter, but be honest. They can teach you what you don't know about technology, they can't teach you to be charming. Subsequent interviews are tougher and usually small groups of 2-4 people. That's where they ask much more specific questions about you. The best advice I can give, is don't be discouraged if you don't get in the first time! They are incredibly particular about who they hire, and sometimes the timing just isn't right!

Interview Questions
    • Plan a trip for me to (randomly chosen location). Ask me any questions you want to make sure I have the best experience possible.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. They don't really budge on their offers, because they know there are plenty of people out there willing to step in, if you're not.

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Apple in October 2014.

I have just been for the phase 1 of the interview as of yet. But been called in for the second interview. The first interview was with a group. Two other people and I. We had a very pleasant interviewer. The same questions were asked of all three in turn.

Interview Questions
    • She asked whether anyone knew which company Apple had partnered up with recently?   View Answer
    I have just got the call for the second interview.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple.

I was able to be referred by a current employee, and about 3 weeks later was emailed about coming in for a Hiring Seminar the following week. The seminar had 20 people. It was actually quite fun, it was mostly about seeing what everyone's personality was like and answering standard interview questions in a small group of 5 that was passed around on an iPad. The seminar only lasted 90 minutes, and I thought it went quite well, as I noticed a couple employees throughout the session watching me as a spoke in the small group. But unfortunately, three days later I received an email telling me I had been rejected. I will keep applying for other positions, hopefully they will give me another shot.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you had to overcome a technical issue.   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple.

Whole process took just shy of 4 weeks, from the time I submitted my application to job offer. I was invited for an interview about 3 days after I submitting the job application. First interview was as a group and it can range from 3 to 5 other individuals total including myself. Questions asked were fairly typical, mostly behavioral questions on how you deal with customers and some technical ones, like your favorite Apple product. Interview lasted 1 hour. Was offered a 2nd interview through email later in the day. Second interview was a one on one with a store leader. Very quick, lasted maybe 15 minutes. Again, behavioral questions and past customer service experiences. Was invited to a third interview a few days later. It was a 1 on 2, store manager and store leader. Very quick again, maybe 10 minutes at the most. Was offered the position after the interview was over.

Interview Questions
    • Was there a time where you did not satisfy a customer's needs?   Answer Question